I need help with window blinds
mjk1108
Hello everyone, I am working on installing blinds in all of my windows. The previous home owners had vinyl pull down window shades, and they have got to go. I am not wanting to invest a whole lot in blinds right now, since the windows are going to be replaced with vinyl replacements in the spring time. I am concerned that the dimensions might change when the replacement windows are installed, so I decided to go with some cheap blinds just in case I cannot reuse them (vinyl 2" slat blinds from Lowe's for $15 each.)

I measured the width of my windows at the top, middle, and bottom halves. The upper half of my windows are not as wide for mounting the blinds, since the rail that allows the bottom window to slide up sticks out further than the rest of the frame (See 1st pic. This is the part that has the spring coiled section). At this section the window is 30 7/16" window, while the rest of the window is 30 7/8" wide. I went and purchased 2 different blinds just to test with, one 30" x 64" and the other 31" x 64".

I test fitted both before mounting. The 31" x 64" blind was tight fitting in the window where the coiled slide is, and the movement of the shades was restricted. So I went ahead and installed the 30" x 64" blind. After I installed this window blind, I am not too enthusiastic with the results. The glass is covered, but the blinds almost look like they are too small for the windows in my opinion. There is a 3/4" gap on each side measuring from the edge of the window to the window frame. I am no expert on blinds, so I am looking for some suggestions from you all. Here are the rest of the pictures from the finished results. What should I do here?
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
The gap is normal but the problem is that this window is not meant to have an inside mount.
I would have hung the blind on the outside of the frame...not my favorite thing to do but that is the proper thing to do on your specific window. The main reason you have more gap is that the bracket can not fit flush on the sides.
December 21, 2013 at 2:25PM     
mjk1108
Do you think that the dimensions will change much with the new windows, and will allow me to install better fitting inside mounted blinds? Or do the dimensions relatively remain the same? I am not much of a fan of outside mounted blinds either, especially with 2" slats. I am thinking that it will not look good at all, and they will stick out way too far.

So are you saying go with a wider blind that will cover the entire frame? Or use the current blinds and mount them on the top frame?
December 21, 2013 at 2:32PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
I am worried that when you get the new windows you are replacing them with similar windows and there should not be any inside mounting of blinds on this type of window. Your frame will not change dimension, so I would opt for outside mounting. You must go wider that the opening of the glass and I would match the width of the wood work. You could just use paper shades until your new windows are in. Save the money and why not try a roller shade that rolls up into a cassette? Roller shades have come such a long way and they come in a wide array of finishes. You could place a nice fabric valance over the blind/shade and conceal the outside mount. The picture I am attaching is an outside mounted natural woven shade with a valance made out of a table runner from Africa.
December 21, 2013 at 2:52PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
Here is an outside mount with a valance
December 21, 2013 at 2:58PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
Not Grandma's roller shade!
December 21, 2013 at 2:58PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
I do think you need to go away from the 2" blinds. You could do drapery on a rod. I don't know what your design style is since I can't see your room. Also don't know if you are male or female. There are so many options out there and if you only have one window...you should check out all your options and buy on that you will really like. I could further help you if I could get more information. How many windows do you have?
December 21, 2013 at 3:01PM   
mjk1108
I like the look of 2" blinds, but unfortunately it does not look like they will be best for my windows. I suppose using a 2" blind outside mounted will not look good either. So if I were to stick with blinds, do you think that blinds with a 1" slat the width of the width of the trim would be better? If I do go that route, I would not have to worry about them not fitting with my new window. What to do, what to do?

Right now the room has yellow-ish beige walls and green carpet, but it is going to be completely changed. It will probably have beige carpet or lighter colored laminate flooring, not for sure on wall color yet. I will figure out the drapery color when I do the walls, but for now I just wanted to get rid of these horrid looking vinyl shades
December 22, 2013 at 7:14PM   
I need help with window blind installation
I purchased a coulisse double roller shade. Does any...
Need help with choosing blinds for double windows
My windows are 65.5" wide and 60" long and slide open....
need help with windows?? what kind of blinds??
the wall is a little curve and has seven windows ...what...
Need help with window curtain or blind decisions.
Hi All, I have never picked out curtains/blinds before....
Help me finish our bedroom
I need help finishing our bedroom. I want the colors...
What fabric should I use to discourage my two cats from scratching?
We are moving and have left behind the badly damaged...
Best Kitchen Range?
If you could have any range you wanted, which would...
Need help with living room arrangement
My husband and I received our new apartment and had...
Hardwood or MDF mouldings?
My wife and I are renovating our early 80s home. We...