Backsplash brain dead!!
pinkroof
We have just updated our kitchen with beautiful white cabinets & crown molding. We also put in gray speckled granite countertops. We really want to add a backsplash and have looked at so many - now I feel like I am back at square one. My basic questions are these: should the backsplash make a fashion statement (like a mosiac style- which is trending right now and we could potentially get tired of and date the house in 10 years) or should it be subtle and subdued (like a soft white or a white subway tile) whilch would be more blending in with the cabinets and also not give the "wow" factor? I have attached three photos of some that we are considering, but would love people to comment on.....Thank You.
2dogssashatess
I think it all depends on how much money you have and how long you envisage being in the house.
December 21, 2013 at 3:33pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
I would pick a light gray subway style. I am afraid your are right about the others dating your look. Like your cabinet choice.
December 21, 2013 at 3:34pm     
mcbmd3
I vote for #2. Although #1 adds texture, I feel it is too much white. The second one gives you a couple of other colors to work with as you accessorize. Good luck.
December 21, 2013 at 3:34pm   
Dar Eckert
I really like the white tile but not in the kitchen. It would be difficult to clean. I prefer the brown glass tiles. The other one looks too busy.
December 21, 2013 at 4:08pm   
sunnydrew
Choose what you like today and don't think about the future of it. They will all look dated in 10 years no matter which you pick, that is just the nature of things. Because your granite has such a small pattern, it almost becomes a solid color. I think you can go with a bigger more dramatic pattern of tile. Take a piece to a good tile show room and play around with try different things and then bring some home. I went through 5 or 6 absolute favorites before choosing something completely different in the end. have fun with it.
December 21, 2013 at 4:14pm        Thanked by pinkroof
Curt D'Onofrio
I vote for #3, but possibly extend upward so they meet the bottom of the cabinets
December 21, 2013 at 4:16pm   
dclostboy
I like #1...I use my kitchen a lot, but have never had issues keeping my backsplash clean.
December 21, 2013 at 5:31pm   
Christine R
i like the 3rd one. I also like plain white subway tile.
December 21, 2013 at 6:21pm   
Fike Custom Kitchens
The darker mosaic tiles tie in your appliances and countertop.
December 21, 2013 at 6:24pm   
Samantha L
Is a backsplash a must? Have you considered paint?
December 21, 2013 at 6:52pm   
auntiebuzzybee
Yes, I like that question by Samantha L? ARE BACKSPLASHES A MUST HAVE? Just asking of "PROS" or those with better taste than me...I'm in the same spot and can't find anything I like or haven't seen a million times...
December 21, 2013 at 7:11pm   
mfwolfe
I would say that some kind of wall protection is needed in some areas of the kitchen like around the sink and the stove, but I agree the tile selection right now is seriously boring. Glad I chose mine a year ago.
December 21, 2013 at 8:28pm   
Curt D'Onofrio
One can always paint a mural, or put their favorite picture on tile (custom tiles). Also, i never seen wallpaper as an alternative backsplash idea. IMO, not a particulary a good option, but is there a reason why ?
December 21, 2013 at 9:26pm   
armipeg
I like the one on the right side of your stove. It's fun, and bold and matches your cabinets and counters. It will never become boring.
December 21, 2013 at 9:32pm   
auntiebuzzybee
I loved my border wallpaper as a backsplash. The lighting is very bad in photo but you get the idea. The kitchen felt calm and rich them the after picture!
December 21, 2013 at 10:41pm     
auntiebuzzybee
I think I vote for the middle one of the three. I am trying to "add" to this thread by answering "CURT" re wallpaper as back splash. I miss mine so much....monkeys and persimmons and old sunflowers...had to go during lighting replacement and retexturing ceiling. I'm so computer inept. I can do from my phone but it's giving me trouble....arrrgh! I just can't find anything except for handmade tiles...many artists in the Minneapolis area I've been researching. Minnesota seems to have everything! Besides, isn't that the point of semi gloss paint, that it's washable etc. you can change the colour without ripping out your drywall down the road... I'm flustered. I am bored to tears with what I see and furthermore, I don't like it. Most is geared toward modern/ contemporary look which doesn't help me in a mid century bungalow home or someone with a house from the 20s...aside from subway tile. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. In one of my houses' I have colorful trivets perched on the 4' back splash in hot pinks, oranges and blacks, separated by 12-18". Then when I need a trivet, well, there they are. What a bargain! And It looks good, really. At this house though, I got the lights and stuff demoed... all that got ripped out, now it's very well lit with LED recessed lighting and the clutter removed. It now has NO personality. For as much as I hated the old lighting and wanted freshened, I did not want to let go of the wall paper. CALL ME CRAZY!
December 21, 2013 at 10:42pm   
Curt D'Onofrio
Thanks for sharing your wall paper idea bsellers1394....I like it!!!
December 21, 2013 at 11:29pm   
okdokegal
Another option would be to go embossed tin back there and paint it the color you want. All three of the tile choices will be dated in a few years.... go bigger with your tile if you want to get a nice less dated look. I would like the white one if it was just a little greyer or tan to pick up more of what's in the countertop without the variations of color that picture #2 and #3 has. You're asking for opinions... in the end, go with what you like best.
December 22, 2013 at 12:19am   
hayleydaniels
I prefer the 3rd option, but I think you need to go with the one you like the best regardless of the opinions on here. Go with what you like the best as you're the one who has to be happy with it.
December 22, 2013 at 1:25am        Thanked by pinkroof
Curt D'Onofrio
Very well said hayleydaniels
December 22, 2013 at 1:33am   
Brain dead in interior design etc... My living room needs help
Not all the furniture in the living room belongs there...
Help my dead end (dead cat as they say in the trade) space.
We have taken a simple 4 square house (four large rooms...
Dead On Door!! Dead Bolt?
Love love love this door! Thank you for being so creative....
Tractenberg & Co Public Relation
Tractenberg & Co Public Relation President Jacquie...
Can't decide on a backsplash with a busy granite
I have a busy granite ( Mokoro ) ( geriba ) Is a busy...
We cannot find a rug to save our lives.
I even switched up the sofa and added new pillow, curtains....
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...