Original hardwood floor under sub floor on top of concrete slab
tkricker
We are in the process of redoing our 1890's farmhouse. We have ripped out wood panels and old carpeting. We can see the original hardwood floors and were considering ripping up the sub floor and seeing what we have to work with. Here is my question.
Anything we need to be aware of, such as cold floor issues since it is not original to the house and was built on a concrete slab? There are two heating vents plus a return.
I put a before and two after we ripped out the carpet, panels and drop ceiling.
Any input is appreciated!
FORESIGHT Design-Remodel Inc
One important note for you, based on the age of the home, and the image above, is that there may be a risk of the old floor Vinyl Comp tiles containing asbestos. Having a piece tested would be recommended. That said, the other concern would be moisture permeating up throug the existing slab and ruining a hardwood floor, old or new. Can you clarify what you meant by "not original to the house"? What element is not original? Structure, finish floor, slab subfloor, etc?
December 21, 2013 at 8:30pm     
Karilee Kelley
We just recently ripped up tile exactly like yours & yes it was asbestos. They were glued on with mastic a thick black glue. And the wood under was ruined by the glue. We ended up covering with new underlay & putting new flooring down. Good luck!
December 21, 2013 at 8:52pm     
tkricker
This part of the house use to be a porch that the previous owner enclosed and made into a card shop, my husbands grandfather took out windows, added insulation, drop ceiling, carpets and wood panels. While the rest of the house has a slate roof this roof is shingles.
The rest of the house has wood flooring that you can see the bottom of in the basement, this part of the house, since it was basically a porch made enclosed sits on cement.
My brother is an asbestos lawyer and has schooled me on that from the beginning, this isn't our first room with the black glue, but our first and thankfully only room with the carpet.
The other rooms didn't pose the problems this one has and we just started. : /
December 22, 2013 at 6:44am   
tkricker
Also, these carpet tiles were taped onto the sub floor, so without tearing that up we have no idea what the existing floor looks like.
December 22, 2013 at 6:46am   
FORESIGHT Design-Remodel Inc
At this point we'd be going over your goals, priority list of desired finish, and realistic budget. Converted exterior (porch) puts the concrete slab into the question mark column. You cannot assume much about it. Moisture and cracking must be guarded against before setting any finish flooring. If its slab on grade, then it will radiate seasonal earth temps, which is a negative for cold climates but a positive for hot climates. There are many things that can happen at this point, but how much you want to invest will dictate direction. Water proofing applications (chemical or membrane), insulated subfloor build-up, radiant heating options, or leaving in place the existing subfloor materials. What's the plan? Are you considering "a hired gun" for some part, or going solo?
December 22, 2013 at 7:09am     
auntiebuzzybee
Where IS this house?
December 22, 2013 at 8:53am   
auntiebuzzybee
Oh! I LOVE your front door!
December 22, 2013 at 8:54am      Thanked by tkricker
tkricker
We live in NE Ohio, as for long term goals, this was used as a den. We want to make it a library, my husband and I are avid readers and want do built in bookcases and make it a place for reading. The room has four windows, the one wall use to be all windows until my husband's grandfather took them out.
This room does tend to get colder than the rest of the house, but with the paneling gone we are going to insulate and put up a thicker dry wall. We also have noticed since we re opened the wall that joins the dinning room the den has become more comfortable, it also helps it is 60 out.
It's become almost impossible to set a budget since this is the third room we have done and each room has totally different issues.
Our bedroom just need some slight patching to drywall, the dinning room needed majority of trim, wainscoting, baseboards, new ceiling and slight patching to walls.
This den is the biggest hurdle. Since we are DIYers with family help we can take our time and do as we can afford.
While I would love to see what the floor is like, I just don't know if it would be a Pandora's box.
Lastly, moisture at the present times has never been an issue as well.
December 22, 2013 at 3:20pm     
auntiebuzzybee
I think you'll really enjoy this reading room...oh yes, I'm aware of those boxes of worms and cans of Pandora or whatever that may be!!!
December 22, 2013 at 3:32pm     
auntiebuzzybee
Still love that mid century door!!!
December 22, 2013 at 3:33pm     
tkricker
Thanks bsellers1394, there hidden gems in the house, it's the only thing that keeps me going! I really wish my husbands grandfather took the city up on the offer of adding this house to the historical registrey before he made "improvements." : ) at least he wouldn't have been able to get creative. Lol
December 22, 2013 at 3:36pm     
FORESIGHT Design-Remodel Inc
One side effect of the old VCT tile is its an additional moisture barrier over the old slab. You may want to consider the old adage "let sleeping dogs lie", consider carpet with thick underlayment, or possibly cork with underlayment. Check all the weather stripping on doors and windows, and check the seal around casings and jambs. Insulate walls and ceilings as much as possible.
December 22, 2013 at 5:41pm     
tkricker
Foresight, thanks so much for your information, it is really helpful! I think your right, since the subfloor is in great condition ie no water damage, solid, no cracks, etc it's a keeper.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help.
Be well and hope you have a wonderful holiday season!
December 22, 2013 at 5:56pm     
FORESIGHT Design-Remodel Inc
So kind of you. Have a safe and happy holiday as well.
December 22, 2013 at 6:13pm     
auntiebuzzybee
That's probably why he didn't, right..didn't want anybody dictating what he did. WOW, 1890 house. I'll bet it does have some hidden gems. How long have you had this house?
December 22, 2013 at 6:20pm     
tkricker
My husbands grandfather bought it in the early 1960's, my husband bought it from him when they were ready to move to an apartment about 6 yrs ago and we got married almost three yrs ago.
I am love a garden, so most of the inside renovations only get going in the winter.
December 22, 2013 at 6:33pm   
Rip out. You could put in floating wood floors that will go right over old. They put a moister guard down, very important. Are you doing yourself? Ck with a flooring company, they can guide you.
December 23, 2013 at 7:53am   
auntiebuzzybee
Being just a layperson, I hesitate...but people in FL in houses about 1960 forward have houses on the "slab"( we are basically at sea level, mind you) have their wood floors too. They put down a moisture barrier membrane and the wood is applied on top of that. My wood floors have always had a subfloor. Folks used to have problems when everybody started putting them in but they've gotten much better install results over the last 10+ years. I actually lived in a house with a DRY basement on a lake in Florida. It was built in 1928 though : )
December 23, 2013 at 10:15am     
tkricker
Travis, we will be doing it ourself with the assistance of my brother and brother in law who have done pergo floors as well as tile work. We are saving floors until we are all finished with the downstairs. This buys us some time and helps build up the funds to get the flooring we want.
December 23, 2013 at 5:27pm   
tkricker
Advice...should we just put trim between the doors and windows rather than drywall and then trim? The trim in other rooms is 5" wide and we would keep it the same throughout. Also, we will be replacing windows in the future. Thoughts?
December 23, 2013 at 6:07pm   
Karilee Kelley
I'd just trim it out
December 23, 2013 at 9:08pm     
Guest bedroom bed placement
I have a guest bedroom with 2 single windows and I...
My rental home needs personality !
Really have no clue what to hang on the wall !!! We're...
What chairs would go with a glass and chrome table?
I am helping my parents set up their apartment (they're...
Redecorating new rental
I am beginning to redecorate my new rental and don't...