Should my house colors match my own coloration?
manshouse
I am a male single owner/resident of a smaller (app 1100 sq' with an unfurnished basement) one-story ranch house (built in 1952) in a Detroit suburb.

I have what is described as a "winter" coloration to my skin, hair, eyes, etc., and wonder if my interior color schemes should follow the clothing-color recommendations generally given for those with my coloration. These include deep primary colors, black, white and grays, avoiding pastels, browns, gold, and especially, orange.

It seems intuitive that like clothing you would want a house that you look good in but when I have spoken to interior designers,and paint consultants they seem to have never considered it. I haven't seen anything in houzz about it either.

Opinions, please.
Not necessary as long as you feel comfortable in your house.
December 22, 2013 at 9:44am        Thanked by manshouse
Years ago, there was a trend to do exactly that - match decor colors to your natural coloring. I often send people to their closet to bring out their favorite piece of clothing that they get the most compliments on to start the decorating process. Works great for singles or families that share the same coloration. Gray is very popular now, so consider that for the walls. Then white &/or black furniture with the deep primary colors for accessories, drapes, rugs, etc.
Contemporary Bedroom
Fall Decor
Condo Furniture + Styling Walk Way Vision
December 22, 2013 at 9:52am        Thanked by manshouse
Curt D'Onofrio
I was, (what i guess) was a minialmist, i.e. playing it safe. But, upon viewing many a room on this site i'm reconsidering, i.e. i seen rooms with blue, red, orange, etc floors. In my imagination these colors for a floor were not even imaginable. But "those" designers made it work. Eye candy
December 22, 2013 at 10:04am      Thanked by manshouse
If I were a “Winter” and did not have to consider another’s tastes when decorating, I would most definitely surround my self with colors to make me look and feel good.

One recommendation would be BM Midnight Navy with Simply White trim. The color leans toward purple and it could be used as your neutral.

December 22, 2013 at 10:21am        Thanked by manshouse
bluenan
That's an interesting question and one I have strong feelings about. Yes, I think we should choose and live with those colors that compliment us, they will be the ones that best create a comfortable, calm and happy environment. I can tell from repeat posters who always suggest yellow, orange and chartreuse that they are more than likely a warm season. I am a cool summer and could never be surrounded by any of those colors. Designers are too invested in the current trends to individualize a client by his or her color preferences, the fact that the ones you've spoken to "have never considered it" speaks volumes about trends. Like others have said, grey is hot right now so there are a lot of choices for you if you choose that route.
December 22, 2013 at 10:53am        Thanked by manshouse
indianpatti
I think choosing colors based on how they make you feel is more important than how they make you look. However, if you look good in a color that makes you happy, that would be a great thing!
December 22, 2013 at 10:56am        Thanked by manshouse
Curt D'Onofrio
Yes!
December 22, 2013 at 11:03am      Thanked by manshouse
APK Designs LLC
People's "favorite" colors are usually colors that look good on them, or colors that express their personality. For example, a fair-skin, blue-eye person might love wearing a light-blue shirt, or a woman with a strong, lively personality might love wearing bright-red lipstick. This woman could very well be driving a red sports car too. So the colors we look good in, end up sipping through to our interior spaces as well. It's human nature to keep repeating schemes that work for us. So, there is no rule the colors in your wardrobe must be on the color scheme of your interior spaces. It just happens that way more often than not. The more important rule to remember however, is that your space must be one which expresses you and reflects who you are.
December 22, 2013 at 11:09am        Thanked by manshouse
Ll. I have never heard of this system of matching colors in home to color of skin tone. But, you are right about grays taupes, tones. They are nice colors for walls. Then bring in a accent color, like teal , or the blue greens, for pillows, art etc. if you like a modern look, use brush nickel in light fixtures. All walls should be painted one color. You can add accent walls by using same color in 2 shads darker, like firepl wall, or dining room. To add interest. But, it's alway good to bring In a accent color, in lamps rugs, art window covers. In bedrooms the bedding should be color of walls plus another color, or black.
December 22, 2013 at 3:47pm      Thanked by manshouse
Fred S
I bring this up on every custom house I build. The going through the closet trick is great for the people who have good taste but are nervous about making the same decisions for their home. It puts them in a place they are comfortable with in coordinating things and gives them some reference to draw from. I have even suggested it a few times on Houzz. Even before I bring it up, I notice that most gravitate that way. It even works as a good mediator when the husband and wife can't agree on colors and are different skin tones. It may not be scientifically correct, but it works in at least getting them to decide that one person has to take the lead on color choices :)
December 23, 2013 at 12:17am        Thanked by manshouse
chookchook2
I get bored with the colours that suit me to wear, so often use others for my house.
December 23, 2013 at 4:43am      Thanked by manshouse
Tv above fireplace
Hello, please let me know if I place TV above fireplace...
Need help for removing dinning room and kitchen wall ???
My husband is thinking to remove right side wall to...
show organizational options for a closet that is 2 x 10ft?
Remodel of a closet has two doors in guest bedroom-good...
What should I do with right wall ?
Grass cloth recently added....crystal chandeliers came...