darrowmb
I'm attaching pictures of my room and a fabric choice I'm trying to make. I want to make cushions for my window seat. The fabric with the black background is the same fabric as on my chairs in a different color. The other is a stripe that coordinates. I bought the fabric for a different room but now am wondering: would it be a design disaster to use the same fabric again in this room? Should I stick with the stripe which is safe? I'm also a bit concerned about sun bleaching in this south facing window. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
bepsf
Neither.
I would use the exact fabric that's on your floral chair for your window seat - and if you want to make it even more special, use the burgundy fabric from your other chairs for the contrasting welts and the bottom of the seat so you can flip them over and get a different appearance.

Then have a couple larger pillows made up the same way - Floral fabric w burgundy welts.
0 Likes   January 22, 2012 at 10:41AM
TanCalGal
From what I read, you are making seat cushions for the window seat and not throw pillows. If you are worried about sun, buy Sunbrella fabric. It's very good. There are other companies, not just Sunbrella, and they have a really nice selection of fabric today. It used to be for just outside, but now they have expanded their selections. People do entire living rooms with Sunbrella. Look at this online store for an idea selections. I shop with this company frequently. You can order swatches, too http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=sunbrella&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e
I think I would paint the wood window seat white, the color of the room trim. If you like the wood tone, I might stain the wood a darker richer stain. Also I might buy new handles, but I cannot see the handles very well. Here are photos of many window seats so you can think about painting the wood white or leaving the stain, or having a darker stain or changing the knobs. http://www.houzz.com/window-seat
The window seats I like best are sewn with a dull, dark plain fabric. Maybe a burgundy, I think I see burgundy in the living room. Not a pretty, or bright burgundy, but a dark dull burgundy. Then, I'd have the throw pillows more lively. Not too many throw pillows. I like what you have 2 on each side. I wouldn't use the floral with the dark ground. I think I'd take the colors from the floral chair and buy fabric in the same colors but in a plaid with the same white background as the floral. This plaid will tie in with the chairs, but not be too matchy-matchy. The plaid would take care of the 4 pillows. You'll have to play,the stripe &/or dark ground floral might be nice as one of the pillows Or maybe as piping on the plaid pillows.
0 Likes   January 22, 2012 at 2:50PM
TanCalGal
Meant to add, if you cannot find a suitable plaid, I think the stripe would be fine with the burgundy seat.
0 Likes   January 22, 2012 at 5:22PM
ruth chainay
well my thoughts are the stripe is great you already have it so use it and spray with a uv spray...two pillows on each side one the blue floral and a smaller one the same floral as chair to give size interest and some contrast..the paint I would wait till you finish your sewing chores then decide if you want the white or stain....R
0 Likes   January 22, 2012 at 5:32PM
Sarah Queen
I would use either a plaid or stripe with the same color red and white as in the floral chair. Not sure I like the green color in the stripe you have. Love the floral chair and other furnitre btw. Good luck!
0 Likes   July 15, 2012 at 4:54AM
darrowmb
I was remiss in not updating my project status. I did get these done. Attached are two pictures - one of the fabric - it's a shot of the zipper, not exciting, I know! The other is when two were done. I had quite the struggle with these - ended up going to my sister-in-law who is an upholsterer for a pep talk! She talked me into simplifying and I was able to finish the project on my own. Everyone likes them -

I never considered painting the wood - the pics are not so great, but the house has all custom wood cabinetry in a craftsman style.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
1 Like   July 15, 2012 at 4:12PM
decorate dining room
I need draping ideas and color. I also would appreciate...
crystalb642
Need help choosing paint!
Want a grey paint for our main floor. Kitchen is brown:taupe....
kimba86
Show us your favorite Christmas decor piece!
Do you have a favorite ornament that's been in your...
Jeannie Nguyen
Durable Kitchen Sink
What material have people found to be most durable...
Debra Pope
Updating bathroom tile
I have a typical 50's style bathroom with tile on the...
endresultlaura