Bedroom recess, I'm out of ideas!
mummaelks
I have a space in my bedroom in which a lonely tv sits on the wall, I have been looking at this space now for 2 years, completely clueless as to what to do with it. I think that I have been looking at it for too long to come to any "great" conclusions.

The recess is directly opposite where my bed is, any thoughts, ideas, anything would be greatly appreciated!

(Apologies for the grainy picture, my photography along with ideas for this space are in need of help....)
brworman
Depends on your style....it's a blank canvas. So much could be done!
0 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 6:49PM
mcbriec
It looks like a perfect place for a dresser to me. Or if you already have one, then you could put a credenza there. There's no such thing as too much storage IMHO.

It seems like the tv is far too high. If you lowered it above a credenza you could put a collage of art around it to avoid making it such a current centerpiece.
4 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 6:51PM
Put in a dresser big enough to fill the space and lower the TV, if need be, to relate to it. Blu Dot Shale 2 Drawer / 2 Door Dresser, Smoke
Nightfly Dresser-White
5 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 6:54PM
It does look like a good spot for a dresser. Yes, I'd lower the tv and also put the cords in a paintable strip (paint the color of the wall) to disguise the cords.
4 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 6:55PM
maggiemaxwell
Bookshelves.
4 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 6:56PM
No pix of the rest of the room, but maybe that focal point with its contrasting color should be where the bed is. Would it be facing the entry door from that location? Install lighting, and put swing arm lamps on the outside walls for a cozy feeling.Oak Brook Residence
Embossed Damask Leather
1 Like   December 22, 2013 at 6:57PM
Gantt's Decorating
I think I would build in book shelves. If you don't need drawer space. If the shelves are about 16" deep you would still have z "wall inset" border around it. I would put doors over the tv, but that's me. The tv could sit on a shelf as well.
5 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 6:59PM
bobbygnun
I would make a small library wall that would build in the tv. You could also create a desk area under it. Or i have also created a counter with counter height frig and storage cabinets.
2 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 7:01PM
mermaide
Accordion doors and it is a closet
1 Like   December 22, 2013 at 7:15PM
mummaelks
Thanks everyone for your ideas! You are all brilliant and given me more inspiration in the last hour than I have had in the last 2 years!

I love maggiemaxwell and grants decoratings idea of bookshelves, bobby guns idea of a small library with TV, Darcy's idea of a dresser, mcbriec idea of wall collage and deco enthusiasts concept too. Time to start sketching and get moving on this!

I love Michael Abrams style of his moody bedrooms and if I were living in the US (and had the money) he would be doing this for me!
2 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 7:22PM
printesa
If your bed stays wherever you have it now, a reading nook or just a relaxing corner would do. Here is an idea

I remember seeing something else as well, but I just can't find it now
3 Likes   December 22, 2013 at 7:35PM
susita1
I like the dresser idea. Also, You could also get a cabinet maker to install an in built low cabinet with drawers/cabinet storage area underneath.
I do think that the tv is a little too high in this alcove, it would be a good idea to bring it down a little.
Post a photo when u choose to do any changes to see how it turned out.
2 Likes   December 23, 2013 at 3:03AM
Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
How about incorporating builtins with a fireplace. Love this idea!!

3 Likes   December 24, 2013 at 5:58PM
Keri C
A reading nook would be interesting!
2 Likes   December 25, 2013 at 2:55AM
Add a long chest or dresser, should cover most of wall. Then lower TV so only 8-9" above chest. Add tall pots 3 to end in a accent color. Mix with black. A nice tray on other end fill with tall white orchids. TJMax good place for accessories, Z Galleries another. Then add accent color to bed with pillows.
2 Likes   December 26, 2013 at 10:47AM
Jan Neiges, CKD
This can be a nice area for a breakfast station - not sure how far away bedroom is from kitchen - not sure on your design style, collection, etc. But design solutions are endless as you have seen by all of our replies - good luck and have some fun
2 Likes   December 26, 2013 at 10:52AM
OMNIA Group Architects
Two words...Built-ins. If you look up custom built-ins on Houzz, you will be inspired. We love designing custom built ins that meet our clients needs when customizing new or old homes. But you can take your dimensions and a tape measure to a furniture store, a thrift (Fun, fun) store or a retail store. Sometimes turning something old, into something new involves creativity. All you need is a little inspiration from above..haha, I mean the previous and future comments from Houzz contributors. You would be surprised at what you can find when your eyes are open! Keep searching.
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 10:57AM
erinsean
Am I assuming correctly that you have the TV that high so you can watch TV from your bed? I like the idea of a console with drawers under it and lowering it a little....enough so that you can watch it from your bed. Otherwise I can see bookshelves around your TV and then it would not look so high.
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 11:13AM
reba120
Can you move the bed into this space?
0 Likes   December 26, 2013 at 11:25AM
halfpint2
Is the TV going to remain where it is? You could enclose and have more closet space. Put some kind of large water feature in that space, or an aquarium, do you like fish?
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 11:48AM
mpoulsom
If you decide to use this for shelving and storage, I would prob put doors on it no matter what, or curtain panels. Close when you need peace and an uncluttered mind, and open for viewing tv etc.

If I lived there, my bed would def be in that spot! very dramatic and nice look!
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 12:00PM
Stanton Designs-online design services
This is a great space for a built in. Do you need mores storage or seating?
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 12:32PM
mummaelks
When looking at the picture, on the left of the recess is the doorway to our ensuite and to the right is the entrance into our bedroom, it doesn't sit right with me and am uncomfortable with the idea to move our bed into the recess but would not hesitate if the doorways weren't there!

I'm thinking of a built in storage to incorporate our tv, have seen a couple of photos that are just wow but I'm not letting myself have tunnel vision so my thoughts can be swayed!
0 Likes   December 26, 2013 at 7:02PM
Stove & sink layout complicated because of low window
Hi! I've been lurking around here for a year and am...
L W
need help with a spa green / blue paint color
1940 bathroom, lots of natural light, tired of the...
meghan1
kitchen ideas
hi, we are planning on redoing our kitchen. but we...
julie016
Color for small bathroom!
Please! I am desperate for advice on a bathroom color....
Pamela Theofilopoulos
Master bedroom design
We are going over the garage to make a bedroom suite...
will1boy