Livingroom layout Need new furniture
candywDecember 23, 2013
I am having great trouble designing a layout for my livingroom. The room has a cathedral ceiling going 24 feet high to 118 inches at the area of the sliding doors. The room is mainly windows/sliding doors on two sides. The fireplace occupies a great deal of one wall and we live on a lake which means lots of company, relaxing and entertaining. The steps down into the livingroom from the dining room also means a traffic pattern has to be considered. I need to purchase new furniture and I am considering custom cabinets/bookcase to the left of the fireplace. Any recommendations would help.
Christine Gerlander
I have a very similar layout and view. I put our sofa facing the lake and I see you have a TV that can swivel out as well. Smaller furniture would be better but I like your wing backs. You can always slip cover them. Less is better in small spaces.
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 6:45AM
Kim D
All sofa's should face lake if they can, also if you replace chairs get ones that swivel, so they can face lake when occupied. Also can tv go on wall where floor lamp is currently standing?
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 6:53AM
Dar Eckert
A coffee table with space for extra stools under it would give you extra seating. Another option is to put stools under a sofa table behind the couch.
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:06AM
tennisanyone
I see a distressed piece of furniture behind the chairs? Can I see a picture from the widows into the room looking from the lake? I would face the couch towards the lake to start. I might move the chairs. Need a better picture of the whole space.
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:08AM
leelee
Is there another room that you could make the TV room? The TV looks awful where it is.
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:09AM
Kim D

can a similar layout facing view work for you. Notice two swivel chairs in background
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:09AM
industrialing
I like the layout! Just try moving the tv maybe in the cabinet? You could turn around the chairs and watch. I just think the BEAUTIFUL view shouldn't be messed up with electronics
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:10AM
leelee
Instead of book shelves add a nice console or armoire to the left of the FP and put the TV there. Book shelves can look busy and cluttered very quickly.
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:12AM
CoContest
Tough space, but we can help. Check out www.cocontest.com and we can provide you with 15-20 unique professional designs sourced from our network of registered architects and interior designers including furniture options and cost estimations, all for just a few hundred dollars. Then YOU choose the best design.
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:18AM
Dar Eckert
Leave the TV in its current location just get a better stand for it o build in a cabinet under for the accessories. It would be difficult to see the TV on the left side of the fireplace especially if the sofa faces the lake. Put floating shelves on the left side of the tv
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 7:19AM
purehome
Hi there, can you attach a floor plan (it's okay if it is just sketched out on a piece of paper) for me? I would love to help you get a rendering created for inspiration!

Yours In Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
Interior Designer
Purehome.com
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 10:04AM
Will you be keeping it formal as your present furniture or are you going for a more transitional or contemporary look? I'd want a sectional to sit opposite the window view with a pair of low, armless chairs on the window side, making a "U" but not blocking the view. The TV should be built in right or left with a bookcase system.
    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 10:15AM
Better balance on that wall with console under TV, asymmetrical mantel with bookcase, art on left, larger plant in corner.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 12:49PM
RoomHints
Hey! If you still need help with the layout of your room. Download RoomHints app (www.roomhints.com/app) and get a 3D visual floor plan design to understand exactly how to design this space!!!
    Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 1:49PM
I would extent stone on fireplace to whole wall. TV, low reclaimed wood. Should cover that whole space. Some with glass doors to hide stuff. If you can't find stone doing the wall in reclaimed wood or there is a product that looks like wood, go a gray washed look. To try in the lake look. Furniture I would do big comfy sofas in a crate n Barrel slip cover look in white. Pick accent color for pillows. I would get a 6-7 ft sofa to face firepl , and a matching love seat to face windows. Big 36 coffee table either glass or reclaimed wood. Then 2 swivel chairs in a print I like the blue grays colors. Place tall stainless or white wood lanterns, 36" or more with candles very tall. Get 2 different heights for front of fireplace.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2014 at 4:50PM
Reive everything from firepl mantel I see a piece look white move that to wall next to firepl where chair is now. Love the windows leave bare.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2014 at 4:53PM
8x10 area rug. In a gray shag would be fun. Painting a soft gray with blue undertones will help give you a lake look. Instead of what is on firepl. Add a oil art piece. A lake would work. Ck Z Galleries on line or there stores for great pieces. It can be almost as wide as stone, and very tall. You lack color so with painting you will see a big difference.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2014 at 4:58PM
Or a sisal rug. To stay in lake or beach theme. Grass cloth on firepl wall is another idea.
    Bookmark   October 5, 2014 at 9:17AM
Need help with my very strange livingroom layout!
I have a living room (3.6 m x 5.1 m) with windows running...
rhonaw
Need help with awkward livingroom space
I have this awkward spot in my livingroom between the...
kaymlee
Livingroom layout for function and cozy factor
Large new livingroom with 2 focal points: majestic...
alawlor
Odd livingroom layout
My husband and I just bought a house, and although...
astridclarke
Livingroom Layout HELP??
We bought an old house and our living room has 2 large...
Abby Huotari
Backsplash RX
In our new to us home we have odd colour green cabinets...
nfglass
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...
Need help picking out 2 beige paint colours for the basement.
So, we are moving into a house this weekend and we...
13frogs
Help with Guest Room
Hi, Could someone give me a few ideas for completing...
freechels
Nursery wall art - how high to hang?!? Please help a first timer!
Hi all! - I'm hanging 8 different little animals in...
bonnieanneryan