Replacement window for a view
mgravelle
Hello,
We are renovating our attic loft and need to replace the windows. I am having trouble finding something suitable. I want to preserve the view as much as possible (you can see Lake Ontario on a clear day), but as it is in the third floor, I need good ventilation. The rough opening is 70 1/2 inches wide and 42 high. I was thinking a single hopper window, should I be thinking of something else?
Lizabeth
In order to give good advice it would be helpful to see an exterior photo of the house. One needs to consider the view from the window and the view of the window from the exterior particularly if this is front on the street. Won't be as big a deal if this is the back of the house. Many a nice home has been downgraded by a wrong window installed.
December 23, 2013 at 1:19PM   
Curt D'Onofrio
Swing out windows. Don't forget screens. Had a bird fly in once. They really fly about nutty when stuck. Luckily, it found its way out
December 23, 2013 at 1:39PM   
mgravelle
Lizabeth,
That's a good point about an exterior shot. I will post. We are in a semi (on the left) and have updated the second floor bay windows, back when black trim wasn't widely available (which I would have preferred). So we will have to stick with white vinyl. The ground floor will be replaced eventually as well. This house has definitely been a fixer-upper, not much had been done in over 30 years!
December 23, 2013 at 2:13PM   
mgravelle
Hey Curt,
I think splitting the view into two windows would ruin the view....
December 23, 2013 at 2:14PM   
Curt D'Onofrio
I agree. My initial idea was a picture window. But it gets awful hot in the attic so you want to open it for ventilation. Your exterior pic looks good just the way it is. I don't think swinging out windows will look good
December 23, 2013 at 2:23PM   
Lizabeth
Thanks , so where are you sitting when you look at the view?
Are you across the room or sitting in a chair close by? If you are sitting close than then two windows will not ruin the view.
You are not up front and close to a spectacular waterfront view with a living room of people drinking cocktails. I am guessing this is either a bedroom or an office and the one or two people enjoying the distant view will be close to the window.
So I would put a casement in that cranks out to capture the breeze in the hot stuffy summertime. It will look nice with the bay window you have installed on the second floor.
It is my opinion that the distant view does not require a picture window and it will look awfully out of place in the attic and detract from your exterior .
December 23, 2013 at 3:02PM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I think that one large Hopper Window hinged at the bottom would be an excellent solution. It will look good with the house and there will be no grids blocking your view. But most important, the window will provide excellent ventilation without being dangerous. It would be very difficult for a child to fall out of the Hopper style with the hinge at the bottom........
December 23, 2013 at 5:07PM     
I'm the other camp - by taking out the grids and the division, you are taking out the charm from the inside and out. Keep two single hung windows and get grids for the top. You are trying to put modern windows in a traditional antique house - it devalues it. I'm with Lizbeth.
December 23, 2013 at 5:32PM     
mgravelle
It's a pickle. Thank you for your comments. I'm feeling more sure about the hopper now.
December 23, 2013 at 6:44PM   
Bridget
With all of the house with the same look, if you change yours two windows to a different style they will stick out like a sore thumb. I bought Windsor Windows for my renovation. They are vinyl on the outside and wood inside, with wood grid insert that can be removed when you clean the windows. They also open top and bottom, for better ventilation, with screens. They have all styles and am sure you could get one that match what you have now.
With casement windows, I felt, with my luck the breeze would always be coming from the wrong direction. You did not indicate if there were any other windows in that area. You can always buy a window fan to help any breeze. Cooling off the attic space in the summer will help keep your whole house cooler. In fact, if you open windows on the lower floors, keep doors open you could get a very nice air circulation going. Good luck which ever way you go.
December 23, 2013 at 6:49PM   
New house, HUGE design challenge w/ front entry.
What do I put on this massive wall. I don't plan on...
Paint
Building a new home. I'm leaning towards a medium gray...
Ranch home
Hi there! We are in the process of purchasing this...
Kitchen Cabinets: Take them up to the ceiling, or not?
If you were getting new cabinets, would it be worth...
Quartz countertop edge profile - recommended radius
During selection process, I chose a 3/8" edge profile...