Help me design my feature windows!
Kelley Deon
Hi there,

I'm building my first home on a hill with a great view of Kootenay Lake and no neighbours across the street. It's been really fun so far. The concrete is cured and my builders are going to start framing SOON. I haven't purchased my windows yet. Most of the side windows are pretty standard. The front windows are VERY important to me because I've been saving my budget for a mini splurge.

If weather, engineering and money wasn't an obstacle I would probably put one 16' x 8' (The size of the rough opening I need to fill twice) on each floor and call it a day.... hehehehe. I'm just giving you an idea of what the "dream look" would be. I wanted "skysraper" floor to ceiling glass.

I thought I could succeed with the floor to ceiling glass by using a curtain wall. I then started researching Nana and Eclipse folding door solutions because that would be awesome.

Reality is $etting in but I don't really like the mulled vinyl casement solution being offered my a couple suppliers.

Go any ideas for the cookbook?
This site looks amazing. Don’t know the $$$. http://www.parrettwindows.com
December 24, 2013 at 5:39AM   
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
I can appreciate the concern about mullions, but can also say that in 16', you could have four vertical windows and your eye will see past the mullions. The do offer ability to open windows--important with the heat that comes in through an expanse of glass. And, your very modern house will transition better in the neighbourhood with some deisgn elements that resonate with surrounding architecture (one reason I have some detailing in our own modern residential office). . Nanawall makes great opening window walls: $$$$. I understand that there is a BC firm that provides something similar but have not found them yet. Okanagan area?
December 24, 2013 at 8:26AM      Thanked by Kelley Deon
NanaWall
Hi there,

Good luck with the remainder of the project.
We can certainly help you design your windows. Give us a call at 1 (800) 873-5673.

Here are a few examples of projects that we've worked on with a longer height opening.
December 24, 2013 at 11:49AM   
Kelley Deon
I've looked at Nana and Eclipse solutions A LOT. That's my first choice. I was talked out of it by some experienced builders. Bug screens are a major challenge, and the cost (about $20K) is extremely high. That's not why I gave up though... I was more concerned about the house "settling" over time causing fitment and operation grief.

It's a shame.

I talked to Maglio in Trail BC. Dan is the MAN. He's got 20 years of experience installing pretty much every kind of system. He didn't have a prob with folding doors. He did however have some great ideas.

If Nana Wall wants to contact me to save the folding door solution...I'm all ears!
December 24, 2013 at 9:47PM     
NanaWall
Kelley,

NanaWall folding systems have adjustable hinges so that the operation of your system will not be compromised as the building settles.

In regards to screens, we offer our NanaScreen system (http://www.nanawall.com/products/wd66/accessories), which will help to keep the bugs from intruding your home.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us by phone (1 800-873-5673) or by email (info@nanawall.com).

Have a great day!
December 26, 2013 at 10:44AM   
Steel Windows and Doors USA
Good Day Kelley!

Our team here at Steel Windows and Doors USA has tackeled numerous jobs with the same type of configuration that you speak of and would love to accomidate you for your project!

As far as screens go, we also offer the newest SE1 Eco Screen by CENTOR which offers much more than merely protection from insects and complements a wide range of window and door arrangments. You can read more of this amazing system at: http://www.steelwindowsanddoors.com/products/screens/index.html

Please feel free to contact us either through our website or by phone so that we may best accommodate to the specific needs of your project.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
December 26, 2013 at 11:37AM   
Daybreak Workroom LLC
What was spec'd out on your architectural plans?
December 26, 2013 at 12:10PM   
Help me design my house..starting with my bedroom!
I'm trying to work through my house and wanted to start...
Need help with the design of my living room windows
I'm remodeling my recently purchased 70's home in Pinecrest,...
need help for my living room window designing,with grills
since Indian security system believes in a grilled...
Need help for designing my room without changing Windows, walls/doors!
My room is 3.65 meters x 3.65 meters and I'm changing...
Modern landscape ideas that work in Denver Colorado
I know this is pretty generic but I'm looking for ideas...
How to arrange my new living room
We just bought home. However this is the living room...
Need help replacing dying front lawn with drought tolerant beauties
We are in Denver, Colorado. Our front yard faces west...
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
Bachelor's First Condo HELP!!
Mid 20s young professional who just recently purchased...