Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcride

New food pantry / closet delima

pcride
10 years ago
Remodeling the pantry, I have 5 foot opening, 3 feet will be reserved for food storage, 2 feet for closet for shoes, jacket etc. the pantry is by the front door in a hall way so I have very limited space for a swinging door. Sliding double bi-fold is there now. I wanted to have a 3 foot barn sliding door style for the food side, then a fixed swinging door on the closet side (2 foot) I see tons of sliding doors here but I don't want a 5 foot sliding door, too big and heavy. Also just accessing food I don't want to slide a 5 foot door hence making it 2 doors.

Any ideas where a sliding door next to a fixed door would look good?

Comments (24)

• pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The first picture is the project, the second is the idea of a sliding door. It would be neat to see a fixed door next to a sliding door
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Yes I agree the fixed door would be problematic.

I could just do a 3 foot sliding style door, then just have the closet open.

I'll be building the shelving unit as a built-in; furniture look so it could look ok exposed

Here is a draft design.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Getting started. Here is the final design. The right side of pantry will just be exposed, the left side (3 foot) will have a carriage door
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Using pocket jig to assemble most of the cabinet. My original idea was to paint it... I am using maple plywood... Might look good stained natural or a dark Jacobean. Will need to pick up some maple and mill it to dimension for the face frame.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's coming along well. Taped/mudded Sheetrock and finished the walls...Cabinets are perfectly square and i'll be ready to start the shelving tomorrow.

I'll be painting the shelves vs staining them. Don't really like white paint, anybody have ideas?
  • raineycarole
    10 years ago
    You could paint the I insides any color you like: subtle, bold or in between. The outside would look best painted to blend in with the walls and nearby doors.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's coming along. Painted the back a dark blue/grey. Shelves primed white. Final color will be white.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Moving right along... Painting is all done. Next will be installing drawers and carriage door.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Drawers all built and ready to paint then install. Full extensions drawer guides.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    that is looking FANTASTIC. i'm very impressed. :D
  • pcride
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Installed 3 left drawers. They are full extension guides. Will be installing the 4 drawers soon, then start on the carriage door assembly.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    This does look fantastic. Martha Stewart would be jealous.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok well starting back up and going to complete this pantry! Made the bottom cabinet door that will have a look of a drawer above it, the idea is a pull out shoe rack for taking shoes off before coming inside
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And the stationary slots ! This will make a great note/keys/mail area near the entry
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And the stationary slots ! This will make a great note/keys/mail area near the entry
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Added top shelf with door.

Should be all done tomorrow.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    All painted first coat, just a light sand on the nail holes then final paint. Install doors next #europeanmount
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Completed! Final coat of paint, installed doors with magnetic push door openers.
    Next will be carriage door to cover food section.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Are the shelves really shallow? The project looks beautiful but I'm wondering how you'll get to the stuff on the shelves without emptying everything.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More drawers done, starting carriage door soon.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @advira no they are pretty deep. They are L shape. About 11" at the narrowest, then 24" deep.

You can see the depth in previous pictures here.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It's coming along. Barn door slider installed and custom made door. The door will be a simple 3 panel design then painted white. Door made of 5/4 popular stock, planed and joined.
  • pcride
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A look back in before and after up to this point.