Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmahmoud87

Need help designing living/dining space

nmahmoud87
10 years ago
Hi All!

For years, I've moved quite often and never decorated because I never felt settled. Although I likely won't be staying in my current apartment for years to come, I want it to feel like home!

Some things to note:
-I'm not very good at DIY, but my budget isn't too high either so feel free to make suggestions!
-The couches belong to my landlord, so excuse all the black leather. Ideally, I'd love to replace them with a grey sofa and love seat.
-I started a gallery wall and feel good about what I have so far, but I have a problem of not knowing when to stop. I want it to feel young but sophisticated.
-None of the frames have pictures or artwork in them. Scared it will add too many colors. Most of the frames are small, but I'm starting to feel like I would prefer NOT to have personal photos...not displayed as a centerpiece at least.
-The walls were this color prior to move in. Paint suggestions?
-Need storage for my husbands weights that are sitting next to the TV.
-Looking for an accent chair and side table in the corner under the floor lamp.

I just need help finally closing the loop on this space!

Thanks so much!

Comments (50)

• nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pictures.

Those pillows are new and though I love them, I don't think they fit with the space (assuming I'm going for grey or neutral toned seating).
  • PRO
    Bassett Furniture Design Studio
    10 years ago
    You should start by purchasing a sofa and love seat in fabric to soften the space. You accent frame wall is a great start, but needs some direction. Consider a larger element or a larger frame to mount three of your smaller frames on to create a larger center piece. See my idea book on Houzz that shows how to group elements on a wall. Consider larger lamps.

Www.scottscreativehome.com
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! I totally agree that the sofas would make the biggest impact. Unfortunately, those might be the last thing to come. (We would have to ask our landlord to get a truck and take her things out).

I agree on the gallery wall. Something about it just doesn't feel quite right or "finished".

I also appreciate the advice in the lamps! I'm trying not to replace too much because of budget though. Some things that are replaceable: rug, tv console, and bookcase.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Lower the frames to about 6" or so above the back of the sofa. I like the arrangement of the pieces, but if you want to, them out on the floor and play with different arrangements. Place each one on butcher paper or other white paper, and trace around it, cut it out and tape it to the wall to help you get the right placement before you start putting holes in the wall! :))
  • User
    10 years ago
    DON'T be afraid of color! The large piece in the last photo is beautiful and shows you do ike color :) Do you have vacation photos or a special interest that you could showcase in your gallery wall instead of family photos? Go through your photos and pick out the ones you would like to you and see if a pattern starts to emerge as to theme. Have them cropped or blown up to fit the frames - I like your eclectic style!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hang the clock lower and the collage on the other side of the windows lower, too.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Do the pillows have blue in them? Since your lamps are blue, you could add pillows that play off of blues. I love the color of the large piece in the last pic. Use that color and variations of it also. Do you prefer warm colors or cool colors? That will help in your paint selection.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    At first glance, the gallery collection is just too "small" for the expanse of wall (and too high; just finished an article recommending no more than 12 inches above the furniture). I think the collection is fine without photos or images, just would look better in a different, smaller location. Say the other side of the bookcase or where the clock is (also, as you know, too high :-). If you are stuck with the black leather suite, why not go for an extreme black/white decor for now? Until you can budget for the furniture you really want? With a b/w base, you can then add any color accessory you like. I love your lamps, and at this point, they don't go (makes me sad, but there it is) I will try and fiddle with this in photoshop.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Here a good "inspiration" image
    [houzz=
    T Eatons Living Room · More Info
    ]
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Gallery wall is hung too high and has too many small frames rather than some large ones with impact. The bottom or anchoring row of pix should be lowered abut half of the current space above the sofa. You could fill them with black and white photos of architecturally interesting things - buildings, bridges, etc. Will go with the gray you plan for and you can add color with pillows, throws and drapes. Style the bookcase with 1/3 books, 1/3 decor items and 1/3 open space. You might move it to the right some and get your sofa and table away from that "crammed in the corner" look. That will require moving the gallery grouping too but it will be worth the trouble since you need to lower them anyway.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks happyasaclam! Really appreciate your input! We love to travel so I think sticking to a travel them might be a good idea. As for the pillows, they are black and gold, which goes with the black leather couches we hate haha.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Black and white travel photos could also work for the architecturally oriented gallery.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Happyasaclam, I also agree now that the clock and other piece are too high. Idk why I kept thinks so high! My husband is pretty tall and always tells me to stop hanging things for my height haha but it's not like it's a mirror or something so I'll be lowering!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismoore, thank you for your input! I know the space is too big for the gallery, but I'm working to build on it. I have the entrance to our balcony on the other side of the bookcase and the entire wall (where the clock is) is all mirrors. I LOVE the b/w inspo pic you shared, but it doesn't feel quite like "us". I really qm hoping to get rid of the couches soon but it may be another 3-4 months and I'm getting a little impatient and want to get started on other parts of the apt. I think adding larger pieces to the gallery and expanding it will help. Do you agree?
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    decoenthusiaste, agree with everything you've said. I'll lower and shift the gallery. I need to find some larger pieces to anchor the wall a bit. Thank you so much!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismoore, is there any way I can make the lamps work? Id be so mad at myself because I kept the tags on them for SO long (I have commitment issues) and finally when my in laws came to visit last week, I took them off. Buyers remorse!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismoore, I meant the whole wall is windows not mirrors. :)
  • lozajames
    10 years ago
    Hello, I too like the idea of gallery walls. I think if you are keeping the sofa, you can't ignore this as a starting point for a colour scheme, why don't you incorporate black&white photography into the pictures or some simple black & white line drawings. I like your glass side tables which goes well with the exposed glass frames on the wall. What about a glass based lamp with a cream lamp shade. As long as you use texture, I don't think it matters if your colour scheme is not bright. Maybe some grey cushions in different textures and sizes and shades
  • erinsean
    10 years ago
    I am not Lessismoore, but about your lamps. Can you set them on a big book, or find a box and paint it the background color of your lamps or sometimes you can find wrought iron candle holders that are big enough to sit your lamps on? The box, candle holders or anything to bring your lamps up higher can be painted to compliment your lamps. I have seen flower pots burned upside down with lamps on them....look around, you may be able to find something to put under the lamps (rather than buy new ones)
  • Kristen Clayton
    10 years ago
    I would add a giant floor rug that have bright colors or a fun pattern. I would add bright colored pillows to your couch as well, and even add some patterned window panels to your windows. It will open ip your space with more color I think!!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Hi There - The lamps appear a tad too small for a side table setup. Perhaps if you do as erinsean suggested, put them on stack of books, etc. you can "make" them work better, plus adding a taller shade might help. Often this type of lamp has a teak base, you might find a set of teak boxes to set them on? I love them, and they will look beautiful in a bedroom or on a sideboard/buffett set up,. or on some other table. By all means, keep them, but maybe not where you have them for right now (with the black leather dilemma).
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you will be eventually going gray for sofas replace the pillows. Gray can go warm, too, so don't be afraid to keep some of your more warm things. Unless the lamps were terribly expensive, think about painting them. There are paints that will stick to anything! I agree that sitting them on some books to raise them would be a great idea. Look at the harp under the lamp shade. If it is a short harp, replace it with a long one. The shades you have now seem too large and low. You can also do a DIY on the lamp shades. If you find a lampshade you like, look for fabric that is similiar and Google imstructions for covering lampshades. I'm tall and I tend to hang things too high! After I step back and take a good look, I always have to ask myself "what was I thinking"! LOL!! :D
  • PRO
    VintageMaya
    10 years ago
    Checkout some of the embroidered handmade pillows for accents!
    Vintage Inspired Objects · More Info

Creative Stitch · More Info

Gold Mosaic Tiled Platter · More Info
  • PRO
    Humble Empire
    10 years ago
    You could also ground the gallery wall by painting just the area of the wall where the frames are hung. This will add an extra design element and give a little more dimension so the frames don't look quite so much like they are floating. This also gives you an opportunity to bring in an accent color without spending much money. You could probably do this by purchasing a sample size of paint from your local hardware store or paint store. this image shows a similar idea.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    I've had several computer crashes trying to figure some variations out, Not my best work by a longshot ... but, if painting your wall or walls is an option. I used blue as this was the best way to incorporate the lamps you now have, also, tried the "stack" system as was suggested and enlarged the lamp shade, but replaced the other lamp and I think you can see the difference for scale you might need. Anyhow, just some ideas to consider :-) Nothing set in stone. I think the pix you are showing of the room might be altering the scale as they seem to be "down" shots? Can you do a pix where you are seated but looking at the wall in question?
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    Here are some gray sofas from Bryght that have coordinating loveseats, that I think you might like...

1. Ceni Sofa in Coral
    2. Edward Sofa in gray

for more pictures and dimensions take a look on http://www.bryght.com/browse/1/sofas

Happy Decorating!
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Has no one addressed the need you requested for more storage near the TV for your husbands weights, etc. ? Before you buy a new sofa and chairs or lamps (yes, the ones you have are short, but just raise them onto books or box as suggested...love the lamps), perhaps you should think more about storage.
  • PRO
    Sisu Painting Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi there! You could change up the space with a new wall color. Sherwin Williams color 7044 Amazing Gray would go very nicely with your dark furniture and it's neutral enough that you could easily find sofas to go with the new color when you are ready so you wouldn't have to repaint.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lozajames, thanks for your input! You're so right about the couches. We've been using them for over a year now but I hate them so much I try to pretend they aren't there haha.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Erinsean, love the idea of books. I guess I'm not sure what mind if books will look nice and not like I'm trying too hard. My husband just finished law school and has a TON of books he never wants to open again LoL, but they are leathe bound scholarly books that just look funny under my dainty lamps. I'll stay on the hunt though!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Kristen! I've definitely thought about curtains but I tend to always make the wrong decision when it comes to panels. We have a beautiful view of New York City so one thing is for sure, we never close our blinds. If we were only to have curtains to bring in some warmth and color, what would you suggest?
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismoore and happyasaclam, can't stop thinking about my lamps now! I am looking to change the color scheme in my bedroom so worst case scenario, I can move the lamps there (even though I love the lamps in my bedroom. Le LOL). I'm workin on it! My husband now thinks I'm crazy though
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismoore so sorry your computer kept crashing! Love the pic though. :) weird to see it look so different but I love it.

I was standing when I took my pictures so I do think it's a bit skewed. I'll take one sitting down as soon as I can.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bryght.com LOVE that first grey couch. That's exactly what I want! Where is that from?
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Edithsmom, YES I desperately need more storage. He has a ton of dumbells and I'm looking for a console that can conceal his nasty gaming habit haha...the PS4 and games galore need to be out of (my) sight.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry for all the typos everyone. Houzz is so glitchy for me and I can't see what I'm typing half the time.
  • User
    10 years ago
    We're all crazy at one time or another! Your husband will get over your "crazy" spell! :D As for the lamps, just try sitting them on some books for now, get used to that and then re-evaluate later. I'm guessing he likes to watch tv while he works out and that's the reason they are in the living room rather than the bedroom. Would he mind if you slid them behind the tv console? I think the mats would fit behind there too. My daughter puts their gaming controlers in a pretty basket. It's a rule: they go back in the basket when they aren't being used. That way they won't get lost in the sofa cushions, under the sofa, etc. and they are out of sight!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Happasaclam, I'm pretty sure whatever rules applied to your daughter should likely be applied to my husband as well.

Our bedroom is already crammed with his desk so there's really no where else to work out. I'm going to look for baskets at home goods today.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you guys think about an indoor fireplace under the big piece of art along that one wall?

I was also looking for an accent chair and side table to replace the corner where the plant is.
  • User
    10 years ago
    A fireplace would be heaven! And portable! Take it with you to your next place. Look at those today while you are out. That's a great idea!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Some pictures I forgot to include. This is the corner Id like a chair under the lamp and a little side table. Would it be too much with a fireplace too?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Check on the sizes of the fireplaces and either use blue painters tape or cut a template out of newspaper and put it on the wall and floor and do the same with a side table and chair to see if it would be too crowded. Move the templates around and see what you can come up with!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's been quite a while. Apologies! I've been able to refocus back to the living room. To start, I figured I would attack the easiest issues...starting with the gallery wall. I'm going to lower it and with the advice of some contributors, I'm going to add some larger pieces. I'm working on some arrangements right now. What do you think? I also want to add some artwork with blue to tie in the lamps. I get the feeling I still have too many small frames or perhaps the larger pieces need to be placed differently.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Basically, what's keeping my living room from looking this cool? :/
  • User
    10 years ago
    You do need a larger variety of sizes. You're still lining them up in rows. And you need more of all sizes!
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    :sigh: why don't I have an eye for this!? Now that I look, I agree with the rows. I'll add more sizes and ruffle them up a bit. :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Keep working on it! You'll get there! :)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Maybe start with the two larger ones in the middle and work out from there. Then maybe three smaller ones going down on one side and 4 going down on the other side. See what is left and fill those in from there. Mix the shapes and the colors as you build out.
  • nmahmoud87
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great suggestions! Before I saw your comments I made these arrangements and took pics, but I'll take your suggestion and try something new out tomorrow. Thank you!
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County