Basement finish issue - venting & gas line access
jedifred
As you can see in the upper left of the photo I am framing in the venting. I did not intend to frame it all the way to the cross wall because I wanted to be able to use that space in the corner. In the upper right of the photo you can see the yellow gas line goes up to the fireplace on the main level of the house. I had intended to drywall the entire ceiling however I am now considering dropping the ceiling with 2x3 over that television and then putting a frame of some sort consisting of ceiling tiles across the width of the room. This would allow access to the gas line the phone line and the pipes. However I am then unsure how to connect the existing framing around the venting with that piece. Any ideas? What do you think of a diagonal ceiling piece? Any thoughts are welcome thanks!
jedifred
Anyone?
December 26, 2013 at 9:08am   
Ruebl Builders LLC
Why don't you run a soffit around the room if the gas line comes under the joist or move the gas line. I would drywall as much as you can to keep the head room
December 26, 2013 at 9:20am   
jedifred
By soffit you mean dropping the ceiling only slight on that section of the room, right? I definitely do not want an 11-inch soffit around the entire room; would look awkward and headroom may be an issue though I am considering a built-in along that wall anyway.
December 26, 2013 at 10:14pm   
jedifred
Also cut a practice piece of 2x2 with one end cut at 10 degrees; a slight slant over that end would be an interesting look and might look ok with can lights plus I could just build in painted access panels for the gas line.
December 26, 2013 at 10:17pm   
Ruebl Builders LLC
If you don't have the head room than that's not a option!!!! If you have room go with the access panel you can by them a home depot and use the same texture as your drywall to make it look invisible... I hope this helps I would just need to see more pictures
December 27, 2013 at 5:29am   
Wall heater eyesore
Need creative ideas for hiding wall heater on main...
what color rug
What color rug should i choose with grey walls white...
Please HELP! Decorating the Living Room...
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some advice on...