Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nathterra

Need help for loft living room

nathterra
10 years ago
Hi people from Houzz!

I'm desperately needing help for my living room! Me and my husband moved to a new country and to a much bigger place, so I have this huge living room and no inspiration to what to do with it!

My style is definitely on the eclectic side, so I'd appreciate if you take that into account.

Also, we rent the place and we're not staying very long (probably 2 years), so we don't want to make major changes like painting, etc.

As you can see, we have this little reading spot with the bookcases and the arm chair (our favorite spot on the house!) and sort of a music spot where we keep your stereo and CDs, but the whole thing seems so empty and colorless.

I'm attaching a photo of the seating are right next to it, so you guys can see the color scheme and style I'm going for!

Thanks! =)

Comments (13)

• nathterra
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    more images of it:
  • nathterra
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    oh, and sorry for those boxes next to the door, we just recently moved so there are tons of boxes eveywhere in the house! lol
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    An area rug, or rugs....
    nathterra thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    10 years ago
    I love the third suggestion by GM Construction above - that's a great look - b
    nathterra thanked HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
  • nathterra
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for the opinions! I specially love that second picture from GM Construction! What kind of color scheme do you guys suggest? Should I continue on the green-gray-black-and-white combo?

Also, I was thinking about putting another armchair on that reading corner, but I'm not sure on the color/style of it! What do you think?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Green/gray/black/white is on the eclectic side! If you don't plan to stay in this place long, choose art, rugs, etc that you will be able to use in your next place. You can add in other colors that won't be out of your current scheme. Use your favorite colors in the Iron Man poster and the mask to start with.
    nathterra thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    You need a lamp(s) close to the sofa for reading and conversation. I can't see where the electrical outlets are, but I bet you can fit at least one end table in that area. What are the space constaints in that area?
    nathterra thanked User
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    If you are staying for 2 years, you could ask the owner/landlord if you could paint a neutral color. They should be ok with anything reasonable. It would add some life to the room.
    nathterra thanked sunnydrew
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think the oddball items in pictures 2 and 4 are what is wrong with the space. The sofas and the reading area and bookcases are fine, but the hanging fixture in the reading area is calling for a dining area or, if you already have one elsewhere, a library table with a chandelier above it to turn the space into a real library. Anchor it with a wonderful large area rug that can go to your next location and be used in the living area. Could be a great space for playing games and serving a buffet style meal. If you'd want to invest in something you'd probably leave behind, try building radiator covers to give a more "furnished" effect. I've often done custom upgrades to a landlord's property and then he has paid me for the items when I moved. Rad covers can simply sit over the rad and not be nailed down. You could even try making them with salvaged pallet wood.
    Tracey Stephens Interior Design Inc · More Info
    Beautiful renovation in historic Mt. Pleasant · More Info
    Crystal cove · More Info
    Westlake · More Info
    nathterra thanked decoenthusiaste
  • erinsean
    10 years ago
    At first my inclination was to say to move the bookcase to the end of your room. Put your two chairs and lamp facing the bookcases (backs of chairs toward back of couch) with the little end table between. In the indent where the bookcases are now, you could put your taller curio (looks like crome colored) with a large artificial tree/plant. And I agree, a rug in front of the bookcases and in the couch area would tie everything together.
    nathterra thanked erinsean
  • nathterra
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, so many great tips! Thank you so much!
  • nathterra
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've decided to buy another armchair to pair with that one and to put a big art piece on that blank wall (I do have a beautiful one in black-white-blueish tones, just need to frame it), as well as putting a nice credenza on the back of the sofa. Do you think that's enough for filling the space?

Regarding the rugs, do you guys suggest any particular style/color? I was thinking of a light grey one for the seating area...