Should I Paint kitchen cabinets and trim??
Katherine Graves
We just bought a renovated Victorian which we love for the charm and uniqueness. My questions are:
1. Should I paint the kitchen cabinets (white/off white) ?? I feel w the dark green countertops (which are nice granite and we can't afford to replace) it's too dark??? Don't want to feel bad painting nice wood but would like to revamp kitchen!! There is a lot if natural light so hoping to do dark grey on walls here..???
2. Leads to next question, I want to change all the hospital white walls for warmer hues like greys and tan... Can u keep the natural wood trim here??? Floors are cherry wood and we do get good light throughout house..
Thanks for the help!!!
Tha
mariaed
I think it's fine to keep the wood trim if you switch to tans, etc.
The floors are beautiful and the wood trim goes with the vintage home.
December 26, 2013 at 3:40pm   
Agreed with keeping the trims as wood while painting the cabinets white color.
December 26, 2013 at 3:46pm   
apple_pie_order
Congratulations on your new house. Do you have any more daytime photos with all the lights on, showing the cabinets close up? What is the wood type? How old?
December 26, 2013 at 4:08pm   
anne dee
You could scroll through this link for some ideas! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1222400616949.html
December 26, 2013 at 4:20pm   
handymam
I really like the look of the cabinets!

Have you ever considered sanding down the wood and just using a clear finish? I think the countertops would look nice with the wood.

However, if you would rather paint, I think a warm or off white would look lovely. If you are doing this job yourself, be sure to do the prep work and priming before applying any paint.

Good luck, and please post a few pics when you are done! :)
December 26, 2013 at 4:29pm     
kimedge
Hi, you are sooo lucky to have a kitchen with great natural light. I found this beautiful room very similar in structure to yours

Notice how the chairs almost match the floor? I feel that a simple paint effect like this would bring out the best of your solid cabinets, and then give you the opportunity to add to it in the future (build more cabinets if wanted) and just make sure you buy extra paint and more door handles than you currently need.
I envy you - what a fabulous framework you have to start from!
December 26, 2013 at 5:21pm   
anne dee
here's a pic for possible inspiration for white/cream cabinets
December 26, 2013 at 5:40pm     
Sisu Painting Inc
Yes, you should paint the cabinets. Do you want to paint the yourself or will you hire a professional? Do you know what kind of wood the cabinets are?
December 26, 2013 at 6:58pm   
Sisu Painting Inc
Consider painting the island a different color, a darker tone pulled from the countertop.
December 26, 2013 at 6:59pm     
Katherine Graves
Thank you al so much for the boast in confidence to tackle the job!! I know the painted cabinets will look awesome and I won't regret it. Gonna keep the trim natural and warm up the house with great neutrals!! I'll send pics when done!!
Super appre
December 27, 2013 at 9:18pm   
Katherine Graves
Oh yeah, is there a trick to choosing paint colors ???? And should/do I Go darker in rooms that have natural light??? Thanks again !!!
December 27, 2013 at 9:20pm   
Sisu Painting Inc
If you have a lot of natural light, your color can get washed out. With all that cherry, I'd choose a gray with green undertones. Look at Sherwin William's Techno Gray 6170 or Chatroom 6170. Rare Gray 6199 or Grassland 6163. Grassland might go too green but it might look amazing with the flooring. Ask the store for sample quarts to try out. They are called colors-to-go. That way you can paint a large sample before you commit.

Dover white 6385 and Alabaster 7008 are both really nice whites for the cabinets. When choosing a color for your island, go real dark, but not black.

Good luck and have fun with it!
December 28, 2013 at 7:48am      Thanked by Katherine Graves
Appliances for small kitchen in 1925 house
I am planning and remodeling the kitchen in my 1925...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
Kitchen, nook and family room combined what to do help
I just put backsplash up I painted nook that is combined...
Do oil rubbed bronze plumbing fixtures work in a home with champagne l
This pic is in a dining room, however if we chose this...
Cabin exterior front entry idea
Hello design and remodeling professionals. I need...