Need Help with my kitchen
Eddie Werner
Looking to replace counter tops with granite and updating appliances to viking stainless. Thinking to keep expense down I will be keeping existing cabinets. Having rough time making any decisions... could / should I paint cabinets and / or island either black or off white? Any ideas? Took the pot rack down, thought about hanging pendant lights over the island.
suesuegran
I don't think you should paint cabinets black because that would be too much black. White cabinets would be a nice contrast. What color granite are you thinking? Pendant lights would be great and maybe a new light over your table.
December 26, 2013 at 4:26pm      Thanked by Eddie Werner
handymam
I think off white cabinets would look beautiful. I agree that it would be too much black with your furniture. I like what you have done, and I think painting the cabinets will give the cabinets an even, sleek look.
December 26, 2013 at 4:37pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
Eddie Werner
thanks I was leaning towards the painting off white cabinets. I am lost regarding granite choices... here are a few possibilities...
December 26, 2013 at 5:03pm   
Eddie Werner
and another
December 26, 2013 at 5:04pm   
handymam
I like the second and last granites. I think the last one would look nice with the new appliances you want. Either of them will look nice with the off white I think.
December 26, 2013 at 5:07pm      Thanked by Eddie Werner
Eddie Werner
I find that looking for granite is overwhelming (possibly due to indecision on the cabinets) and am not seeing anything that I am in love with.
December 26, 2013 at 5:09pm     
I think I would reface the upper cabinets with non-arch doors before painting or maybe doing glazed cream cabinets. I am partial to the first granite you show. I would do pendant lighting and do away with the purple walls. I would opt for a more softer color;)

December 26, 2013 at 5:17pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
Kitchen Designs by Jeffrey F. Krider
I would get rid of the table, and the beautiful hutch, perhaps into other rooms. I am envisioning the cabinets painted with a Moss Green, Black Custom Cherry Island, and granite. I am trying to think outside the box on this one. Take down the hanging objects, and lights. Go with some discreet lighting for a minimalist approach, white flooring? Thoughts people?
December 26, 2013 at 5:19pm      Thanked by Eddie Werner
handymam
I know what you mean about wanting to love it. For what you will spend, you'd better love it, lol! So keep looking and d on't settle for something you don't really love. It's a lot like getting married!
December 26, 2013 at 5:21pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
handymam
Why would he want to get rid of his furniture if he is looking to keep expenses down?

Can't we make a resolution to just answer what people ask and not rip apart their homes unless they ask us to? :)
December 26, 2013 at 5:24pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
Sorry Handy, but dieting is at the top of my new years resolution;)
December 26, 2013 at 5:28pm     
Lesley Delle_Grazie
I love your furniture, especially the buffet! As for the cabinets, I think cream would be beautiful. Yes, the arches are dated, but what doesn't look dated in 10 years? I think a coat of paint first, and then decide on your granite; bring a painted drawer-front with you when you look at slabs.
December 26, 2013 at 5:33pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
saratogaswizzlestick
I am mystified why Jeffrey is suggesting you get rid of your beautiful wood floors and relocate your kitchen furniture especially when you indicate you are on a budget. Please keep looking till you find a granite you love. Don't just visit one stone yard. I like the idea of a glazed cream cabinet and agree with Margo that you should try a different color on the purple walls. I would also remove items on the tops of the cabinets.
December 26, 2013 at 5:41pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
Eddie Werner
Thanks Everyone! I think I will definitely go with a cream glaze paint for the cabinets. The purple will go and so will all the items on top of the cabinets and on the walls.
December 26, 2013 at 6:05pm     
jens56
I would like to suggest you use a black granite for the countertops, a cream paint for the cabinets and a fawn paint for the walls. This brings all the colours which are in the rug into play.
December 26, 2013 at 6:39pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
rpolli
Your furniture is beautiful, I'd keep it where it is. Check out New Venetian Gold for the granite. I think it's georgious on off white cabinets and blends with many different paint colors for your walls. Also, possibly Ivory Venetian, especially if your moving toward a gray tone off white.
December 26, 2013 at 7:00pm        Thanked by Eddie Werner
What doesn't need help?! My bathrooms, my kitchen, my laundry room.
My house is from 1979 and it totally looks it. We've...
Need help with my backsplash in my kitchen.
I have flat paneled Benjamin Moore "Chantilly Lace"...
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
The window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
I need help with my kitchen island and my fire place
Attached are photos of my kitchen island, I was hoping...
walk in closet and bath combo
We have a space 12' x 12' and need to make this space...
Did I make the right call?
I have added new backsplash. In my eyes I believe...
Need help for the size of a makeup vanity area
We are adding on to our master bath to make it a glamour...
design ideas for a very small house
I have recently bought a tiny house, that is in need...
What size and position of window would work well here?
We want to replace a door that used to go out from...