Need help with design for a new window.
norgen
I am going to add a window to the south facing wall of my (small) dining room. There is a pretty garden view out there and I need more light. I have included photos of the dining room sliding door and photos of the windows in the living room adjacent to the dining room. My house is more traditional but I am trying to get away from traditional and got word transitional. I don't know what kind of design windows to put in here to help me keep in touch with what I have but move to a transitional style as much as I can. Do I put in three casement windows or perhaps two double hung, or a large grid pattern ( without it coming out storybook / country) I would appreciate any and all advice on size and style. Thanks In advance!
Elyn's Library
First, what do the other windows in your house look like? Adding a radically different style of window can make the outside of the house look mismatched.

Second, where are you located? In a warm climate, a south facing window can turn the adjacent rooms into an unbearable oven.

Having a garden view will be a delight - lucky you! You just have to take a few other things into consideration before you go ahead with your project.
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 6:40PM
chookchook2
Put window above your buffet.
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 6:41PM
printesa
I would say that the window needs to have the same style as the other windows in the house.
1 Like   December 26, 2013 at 6:49PM
norgen
Here are the other windows - one pic is from the adjacent living room the other pic is the sliding doors in the dining room that go out to the backyard. I live in the northwest so over heating won't be a problem.
0 Likes   December 26, 2013 at 7:12PM
printesa
Do the same style as the ones you have above. Do you want to have the same size (3 window panes) for the dinning? It will probably take up the entire wall.
2 Likes   December 27, 2013 at 5:51AM
Elyn's Library
Your window style is lovely and will flood your dining area with light when you add additional windows to your dining area.

Unless you and/or your friends are builders, may I suggest you contact a local architect or qualified builder because there is a lot going on with adding new exterior windows. Also to keep in mind, many areas do have building code restrictions on the percentage/ratio of exterior walls that can be windows and/or doors. It is both a concern for potential structural problems and an awareness of energy efficiency.

Just estimating, it looks like a 2-window version of your living-room's 3 section window style, would fit just fine in the area. But you have to be careful because of possible structural issues on an exterior wall, as well as getting an electrician to deal with the wall sconces. It isn't a difficult project, but should be carefully planned - especially if you want to put a hole in the wall during the winter months!
1 Like   December 27, 2013 at 8:39AM
norgen
Elyn's library - I do plan on hiring a professional contractor - are you suggesting I should get additional input beyond that? And I do like the IDEa of two of the sme kind of window as I have in the living room - although what do you think if omit the top grid work - I don't necessarily like the more traditional Iberia that grid has.
0 Likes   December 27, 2013 at 12:54PM
Sharon

I think this style of window would be fab!
1 Like   December 27, 2013 at 3:02PM
Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
Call me crazy, but those seem to be the window style is the Craftsman-style homes that are becoming more popular. An exterior picture of that wall of the home might be helpful. Also, don't forget to get approval from the HOA if you are in a planned community.
2 Likes   December 27, 2013 at 6:53PM
Elyn's Library
norgen - you certainly could go with a "gridless" version of the windows, especially with those lovely glass doors on the adjoining wall - just make sure you stay within the same size and style - otherwise it can look "choppy" or look like an after-thought.

The reason I suggested an architect is that they are usually aware of building code restrictions, and will know if you need building permits for your proposed project, as well as suggesting various options for the look you are working toward.

And Julie Smart Koob is absolutely right - you may need to get approval from your HOA or local neighborhood association to "change" the exterior look of your house.

Planning, planning, planning - it seems to take forever, but in the end it will ensure that the actual building project will be as efficient and (comparatively) painless as possible.
1 Like   December 28, 2013 at 9:47AM
norgen
Based on all of your comments - I am guessing that there is no way I could do this kind of a window (even if I did it in white?).

I love this look.

Please comment would love to hear thoughts

http://houzz.com/
http://houzz.com/s/m=7/u=L3Bob3Rvcy8xNjM2NTc=
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 4:06PM
norgen
Here is the window pick from preceding comment
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 4:11PM
norgen

There is the photo - I think I finally figured out how to do it.
1 Like   December 29, 2013 at 4:18PM
Elyn's Library
Ummmmmm - that window is HUGE. I don't see that kind of window fitting in the space you are working with - especially with the kind of structural changes you would need. It is a gorgeous window, but does't look like it will work with the furnishings you already have in place.

But it sure is a pretty window!
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 4:52PM
norgen
Ok I will give up on thinking about this window. Delete it from my idea book and probably go with a two window set like the windows In The living room. Thank you!!
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 6:27PM
Elyn's Library
No! Don't delete it from your Ideabook! At least the way I use Ideabooks is for inspiration, dreams and "what-if..." ideas. Keep the picture there for "maybe someday....". And it IS the same grid pattern that you already have in place - just a slightly different scale and adaptation.
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 7:13PM
Need help! We are building a new home and need some design help!
We are going for a rustic modern look. I like very...
ngault2009
Need help with new home plans. What is new in home design.
Hello. We are going to build a home and we have been...
Dianedee
Need help! Am I outdated when designing new kitchen for new home?
We are building a new home. I have chosen gold color...
lindal26
Need help designing new kitchen (new build)
We are trying to design our kitchen..... We got a kitchen...
daynamcgrath
lfowls
Struggling to find a "family" of ceiling lights
Our foyer has three ceiling light fixtures. The first...
Eugene Lee
Norman Starburst mirror over fireplace mantle
This mantle needs something big and round instead of...
cabinretreater43
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22