Backsplash for kitchen
egrant66
We are looking for a back splash for our kitchen. This granite is an antique brown. walls light light gray (wheatstone) and the cabinets are a cream color with yellow undertones. I could easily do a foggy glass subway tile or sort of a soft mocha, but I think I want some punch in the color. Any thoughts? I keep seeing red(with brown undertones) here......
Perhaps subway tiles with an accent strip.
December 26, 2013 at 9:21pm   
mhteb
I'm in the middle of a kitchen update. White uppers, misted fern lowers and ubatuba granite (coming in a couple of weeks). I'm thinking of temporarily doing a wallpaper backsplash because my brain is overloaded with decisions and the diy painting. Here is an example of the paper. It reminds me of mosaic. Its cheap enough I can replace it when I make a permanent decision.
December 26, 2013 at 10:21pm        Thanked by egrant66
barnandbungalow
Yellow would be nice!

BarnandBungalow.com
December 26, 2013 at 10:28pm      Thanked by egrant66
mermaide
Tin
December 27, 2013 at 4:45am   
dianecourbat
I have had a mirror backsplash now for 6 years and I love it. I brings so much light into the room and makes it appear twice the size. It cleans easily with window cleaner and doesn't trap crud like a backsplash with texture or grout. It makes the room sparkle!
December 27, 2013 at 5:01am     
egrant66
Thanks DianeCourbat--very cool! As per the yellow Bernard, I love that picture. But, I don't know how it would look with my creamy yellow cabinets. I think the picture shows more of a white cabinet that give the yellow a nice contrast. Any thoughts? I am open to many different ideas or any links.
December 27, 2013 at 7:54am   
mariaed
Are there any "free" (no cabinetry walls) in this kitchen? What colour are they?
Do you have an accent colour?
December 27, 2013 at 8:01am   
egrant66
There are free walls--this is an L shaped kitchen and hard to photo in it's entirety. They are the wheatstone gray color you see around the backsplash. The walls are limited and they exist primarily in our kitchen nook which has lots of light.
December 27, 2013 at 9:25am   
egrant66
Next to the cabinets, the color doesn't look great. But it actually looks good in the nook and in the entire snapshot of the kitchen. Collectively speaking it works...
December 27, 2013 at 9:26am   
egrant66
No accent color. I would like the backsplash to do the accenting.
December 27, 2013 at 9:26am   
armipeg
Bringing home some samples and trying them is what I would do.
December 27, 2013 at 10:06am   
Aliza Goldsmith
Love your cabinets! We are in the middle of redoing our kitchen and are using a creamy yellow crackled subway tile that we love with two rows of accent tile-our countertops are also brown and I think this might look great. It is made by Renaissance.
December 27, 2013 at 10:27am      Thanked by egrant66
Fireclay Tile
We suggest using a subtle pop of color, such as a deep yellow with an interesting pattern, or a rich greenish blue, or a blend of creamy neutrals and a deep green.
December 27, 2013 at 10:53am     
Audrey Carroll
I was also going to suggest using mirror tile. Only if it were MY kitchen, I would use a 4x4 tile right above the counter, in a colour you like and then put the mirror on top of that. Also the mirror is a very quick clean up. Just spray with vinegar and ammonia and off you go. A true no big deal answer to your dilemma., It was for me!
December 27, 2013 at 11:02am        Thanked by egrant66
egrant66
Fireclay Tile, I love a rich greenish blue but hadn't thought it was do-ABLe but I can see by blending in another neutral, it ties it together. Also, what's the last blue color/tile you have in the last picture, that' s beautiful as well and would want to find a neutral tile as well to pull in the gray painted walls.
December 27, 2013 at 11:10am   
Amy Stanley
What about something like this : Not sure if it would be too busy in person but it would add a pop and tie all your current colors in at the same time.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=254489-93840-20-646&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4351897&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1#BVRRWidgetID
December 27, 2013 at 11:11am     
egrant66
I should mention that I live in the Southwest although unfortunately our house doesn't follow that genre(and clearly neither does our kitchen). My point is that I don't see something super modern working in this kitchen. We live in a very rural setting so country(rustic chic) would work.
December 27, 2013 at 11:13am   
egrant66
Amy, I like this A_LOT! I might get a sample tile. It ties in all my colors and for those looking to give me feedback, I wouldn't mind one outside color.
December 27, 2013 at 11:15am   
egrant66
Thanks Audrey, I am having a hard time visualizing the mirror tile so I will look it up and go from there. I like the idea of the combo color tile with the mirror.
December 27, 2013 at 11:22am   
Whitney's Home Staging and Redesign
You said you were thinking red, so how about something like this? I think a deeper red might look a little better in your kitchen but I love the square tile.

Traditional Spaces by Holden General Contractors Woodmeister Master Builders
December 27, 2013 at 11:23am   
Whitney's Home Staging and Redesign
I'm sorry, it didn't copy the picture. Try this link.

December 27, 2013 at 11:25am   
egrant66
Hi Whitney, I don't see a picture or link here could you resend? Thanks for following up on my quest for red.
December 27, 2013 at 11:26am   
egrant66
Whitney, I LOVE IT. It's affirming my desire to have red and keep the rest of the compilation simple.
December 27, 2013 at 11:29am     
Fireclay Tile
egrant66, the blue in the last image is our Debris Series in "Caribbean". http://www.fireclaytile.com/recycled-tile/colors/. Here it is shown in a bathroom install with similar cream colors. Our Vitrail series in Turquoise is also another option, it has more of a green tint. http://www.fireclaytile.com/handmade-tile/colors
December 27, 2013 at 11:33am     
Whitney's Home Staging and Redesign
I like this one too, minus the rectangular range backsplash I like the deeper red to match the neutral tone of the rest of your kitchen. Good luck!

December 27, 2013 at 11:59am      Thanked by egrant66
Sarah Bullock
As soon as I looked at your post and pictures I thought travertine tile with copper (or similar) accents. I prefer subway but there are a lot of options. I am going to post a few sample pics I just grabbed quickly from google images so you can see what I am talking about. I like these for you because they are subtle but beautiful, will fit in with southwest/rusty chic, and I think they are perfect for your kitchen. You can always add pops of color (red, brown, etc.) in your kitchen with decor. I wouldn't recommend committing to a colored backsplash, you may tire of it and then it's too difficult to change it. Just a thought :) Beautiful kitchen!
December 27, 2013 at 5:31pm   
egrant66
Thanks Sarah. It's true that color can tire and I can always inspire with colors in other forms. So thanks for these links. I think I like the top two.
January 11, 2014 at 6:57pm   
sunnydrew
take your cabinet door and granite sample to a tile store. get some ideas and then narrow down to 2-3 tops. It is not that hard to decide.
January 12, 2014 at 1:47pm   
Sledge Tile Company
You have been given some great advice, good job Houzzers. I say pick a neutral color you like then add some bold colors in a dot form maybe 4", every 12" to 18". Good Luck
January 12, 2014 at 2:41pm   
Glass Tile Store
How about these? I think it matches your wall color and cabinets and provides that pop of color you're looking for
January 13, 2014 at 2:18am      Thanked by egrant66
egrant66
Awhile back I had asked for some feedback and thought I would show you the finished project(Minus the missing switch plates). It's hard to take a full shot of our kitchen as it's not open but here's the backsplash and we are happy. IT's a bit dark but I looked at so many things that didn't work and I like the look and texture of slate. Thanks for your feedback.
June 14, 2014 at 4:38pm     
egrant66
my pictures aren't including the cabinetry in this format.
June 14, 2014 at 4:40pm     
Need Laundry Room Solutions & Color Advice! Please! :)
I have two separate issues: First is my laundry...
Kitchen help desperately needed!
Please help me figure this out! I'm not planning on...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
Gutter Overflows in Heavy Rain! Help, please.
Our gutters and downspouts are oversized and covered...
Need help with soft furnishings for a living and dining room!
Total amateur furnishing a house from scratch for the...