Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
egrant66

Backsplash for kitchen

egrant66
10 years ago
We are looking for a back splash for our kitchen. This granite is an antique brown. walls light light gray (wheatstone) and the cabinets are a cream color with yellow undertones. I could easily do a foggy glass subway tile or sort of a soft mocha, but I think I want some punch in the color. Any thoughts? I keep seeing red(with brown undertones) here......

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Perhaps subway tiles with an accent strip.
  • barnandbungalow
    10 years ago
    Yellow would be nice! http://houzz.com/photos/4682975

BarnandBungalow.com
    egrant66 thanked barnandbungalow
  • mermaide
    10 years ago
    Tin
  • dianecourbat
    10 years ago
    I have had a mirror backsplash now for 6 years and I love it. I brings so much light into the room and makes it appear twice the size. It cleans easily with window cleaner and doesn't trap crud like a backsplash with texture or grout. It makes the room sparkle!
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks DianeCourbat--very cool! As per the yellow Bernard, I love that picture. But, I don't know how it would look with my creamy yellow cabinets. I think the picture shows more of a white cabinet that give the yellow a nice contrast. Any thoughts? I am open to many different ideas or any links.
  • mariaed
    10 years ago
    Are there any "free" (no cabinetry walls) in this kitchen? What colour are they?
    Do you have an accent colour?
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There are free walls--this is an L shaped kitchen and hard to photo in it's entirety. They are the wheatstone gray color you see around the backsplash. The walls are limited and they exist primarily in our kitchen nook which has lots of light.
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Next to the cabinets, the color doesn't look great. But it actually looks good in the nook and in the entire snapshot of the kitchen. Collectively speaking it works...
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No accent color. I would like the backsplash to do the accenting.
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    Bringing home some samples and trying them is what I would do.
  • Aliza Goldsmith
    10 years ago
    Love your cabinets! We are in the middle of redoing our kitchen and are using a creamy yellow crackled subway tile that we love with two rows of accent tile-our countertops are also brown and I think this might look great. It is made by Renaissance.
    egrant66 thanked Aliza Goldsmith
  • PRO
    Fireclay Tile
    10 years ago
    We suggest using a subtle pop of color, such as a deep yellow with an interesting pattern, or a rich greenish blue, or a blend of creamy neutrals and a deep green.
  • Audrey Carroll
    10 years ago
    I was also going to suggest using mirror tile. Only if it were MY kitchen, I would use a 4x4 tile right above the counter, in a colour you like and then put the mirror on top of that. Also the mirror is a very quick clean up. Just spray with vinegar and ammonia and off you go. A true no big deal answer to your dilemma., It was for me!
    egrant66 thanked Audrey Carroll
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fireclay Tile, I love a rich greenish blue but hadn't thought it was do-ABLe but I can see by blending in another neutral, it ties it together. Also, what's the last blue color/tile you have in the last picture, that' s beautiful as well and would want to find a neutral tile as well to pull in the gray painted walls.
  • Amy Stanley
    10 years ago
    What about something like this : Not sure if it would be too busy in person but it would add a pop and tie all your current colors in at the same time.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=254489-93840-20-646&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4351897&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1#BVRRWidgetID
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I should mention that I live in the Southwest although unfortunately our house doesn't follow that genre(and clearly neither does our kitchen). My point is that I don't see something super modern working in this kitchen. We live in a very rural setting so country(rustic chic) would work.
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Amy, I like this A_LOT! I might get a sample tile. It ties in all my colors and for those looking to give me feedback, I wouldn't mind one outside color.
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Audrey, I am having a hard time visualizing the mirror tile so I will look it up and go from there. I like the idea of the combo color tile with the mirror.
  • PRO
    Whitney's Home Staging and Redesign
    10 years ago
    You said you were thinking red, so how about something like this? I think a deeper red might look a little better in your kitchen but I love the square tile.

Traditional Spaces by Holden General Contractors Woodmeister Master Builders
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry, it didn't copy the picture. Try this link.

Woodmeister - Kitchen 10 · More Info
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Whitney, I don't see a picture or link here could you resend? Thanks for following up on my quest for red.
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Whitney, I LOVE IT. It's affirming my desire to have red and keep the rest of the compilation simple.
  • PRO
    Fireclay Tile
    10 years ago
    egrant66, the blue in the last image is our Debris Series in "Caribbean". http://www.fireclaytile.com/recycled-tile/colors/. Here it is shown in a bathroom install with similar cream colors. Our Vitrail series in Turquoise is also another option, it has more of a green tint. http://www.fireclaytile.com/handmade-tile/colors
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like this one too, minus the rectangular range backsplash I like the deeper red to match the neutral tone of the rest of your kitchen. Good luck!

St Paul Restoration · More Info
    egrant66 thanked Whitney's Home Staging and Redesign
  • Sarah Bullock
    10 years ago
    As soon as I looked at your post and pictures I thought travertine tile with copper (or similar) accents. I prefer subway but there are a lot of options. I am going to post a few sample pics I just grabbed quickly from google images so you can see what I am talking about. I like these for you because they are subtle but beautiful, will fit in with southwest/rusty chic, and I think they are perfect for your kitchen. You can always add pops of color (red, brown, etc.) in your kitchen with decor. I wouldn't recommend committing to a colored backsplash, you may tire of it and then it's too difficult to change it. Just a thought :) Beautiful kitchen!
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Sarah. It's true that color can tire and I can always inspire with colors in other forms. So thanks for these links. I think I like the top two.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    take your cabinet door and granite sample to a tile store. get some ideas and then narrow down to 2-3 tops. It is not that hard to decide.
  • PRO
    Sledge Tile Company
    10 years ago
    You have been given some great advice, good job Houzzers. I say pick a neutral color you like then add some bold colors in a dot form maybe 4", every 12" to 18". Good Luck
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    How about these? I think it matches your wall color and cabinets and provides that pop of color you're looking for
    egrant66 thanked Sam Dewick
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Awhile back I had asked for some feedback and thought I would show you the finished project(Minus the missing switch plates). It's hard to take a full shot of our kitchen as it's not open but here's the backsplash and we are happy. IT's a bit dark but I looked at so many things that didn't work and I like the look and texture of slate. Thanks for your feedback.
  • egrant66
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    my pictures aren't including the cabinetry in this format.