Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_11508255

Bathroom SOS - What would you do with this alcove?

User
10 years ago
I have a high ceiling and a skylight in my bathroom and this really high alcove. I plan to install white wainscoting then paint the upper walls a sage green. But what to do with the alcove? Is it ceiling or wall?! Help! All thoughts welcome, even if they hurt, LOL. Thanks!!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    Are you talking about the soffit above the shower?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, that huge space that I have no idea what to do with.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Actually that soffit and the huge amount of wall space in the shower going up to the soffit. I assume the soffit is that block of wall sticking out?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes, that block is the soffit. You could try tiling up to it. It seems to align nicely with the depth of the shower.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It aligns perfectly actually. As for painting, would the soffit be considered wall or ceiling?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You could treat it as either, although I think it works better as part of the ceiling.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tiling up to the soffit... There is so much space there, I'm worried that it will look odd.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I can close some of the gap by hanging the shower curtain higher. Any other ideas out there?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It's hard to say specifically having no real information, however, in general, it often works well to treat a surface the same way until there is an interruption - as opposed to changing the finish mid-way.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Could you install spotlights (IP rated for showers?)
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    10 years ago
    Forgive me for commenting without addressing the specific issue your raised. Our company was hired to remodel a bathroom with a similar configuration. The bathroom was poorly ventilated and water vapor from the tub/shower condensed on the walls in the vicinity of the skylight. This condition promoted mold/mildew growth. Make sure you've got a properly sized vent fan located above the tub/shower to deal with moisture. It should run for 15 minutes or so after the shower is turned off. If you can't count on users to turn the fan on when using the shower (like my teenage son, for example,) you can interlock the fan with the lights (the less expensive solution) or have it activated by a humidity sensor (the more expensive, and less-reliable solution long term.) Good luck.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    The moisture would be an issue if the skylight isn't vented. Other than that, I would leave it.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is a fan for ventilation, you just can't see it. And I like the idea of installing lighting on the soffit.
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    When you paint, paint ceiling as well, even if it is 75% of wall color, if paint was close to tile color it would all blend...pic of whole space would be good ....
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The bathroom is so big that moisture hasn't been a problem. All the sheetrock is mold/mildew resistant.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will get more photos ASAP. So I should do the walls and ceiling one color that compliments whatever tile I choose?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few more photos. Forgive the chipped paint, unfinished area around the skylight, etc. This was my dad's house that I inherited several years ago and this bathroom needs help.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    If you want to make the soffit disappear (which I would), paint it the same color as the walls.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm wondering now if I should skip the idea of installing wainscoting. Might look odd with such high walls. Thoughts?
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    Are you re-tiling shower surround or planning to exactly match existing tile? If neither of these, I say paint same as tile color. If so, I would install tile on all shower walls to start of soffit.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's just a fiberglass surround, it's not staying. I plan to tile in the shower up to the soffit and pull a color from the tile for the wall paint. - that will work, right?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kewl!! I like that idea!
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with tiling up to the soffit and include the underside of the soffit as well. Raise the rod. Then paint the front of the soffit the same as the walls. You can do a taller wainscoting that would ground the room giving it better height proportions.
    User thanked Scott Design, Inc.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much Scott Design!
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    Consider extending the soffit down with a partition that could be finished with tile and install frameless glass shower door and enclosure. It would perfect for a steam shower.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That sounds great and it's really what I want but there's a bathtub to contend with.
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    I was thinking that the soffit partition would extend down to ~84" above finished floor in order to accept glass door and enclosure. Lower if you want steam shower and make it air tight.
  • PRO
    Bathbiz
    9 years ago
    I have a similar skylight in my bathroom. I painted the ceiling the same as the wall color, and I found it to heighten the bathroom and blend it together, rather than accentuate the odd transition. Also a pleated shade in the skylight itself finishes it really nicely.