Does the pedestal look bad in the bathroom?
Aaron Xie
I did a full renovation to this second small bathroom on the second floor. My contractor keeps telling me the pedestal looks terrible. I know that my contractor never likes pedestals, but I still want to know what Houzzers think of it? If it look bad, what are the other I potions? Please keep in mind that this is a small bath. Thanks.
Aaron Xie
The reason why my contractor never likes pedestal is that the plumbing is exposed. I want to know what a potential buyer would think. Do you mind seeing the exposed plumbing? Is a small vanity better than a pedestal there?
December 27, 2013 at 7:06am   
Leslie Savannah Designs
I personally think the pedestal looks fine. I am not a huge fan of a pedestal sink due to the lack of storage they provide, for my own use. That being said, they definitely serve a purpose for small bathrooms. The finish and overall shape and size are cohesive with your remodel. Has your contractor given you a definitive reason he thinks the sink looks bad?
December 27, 2013 at 7:09am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
Leslie Savannah Designs
Sorry, we had a cross post, so I see now why the contractor doesn't like it. I don't think that a potential buyer would be dissuaded by exposed plumbing, seeing as how many people have pedestal sinks which look lovely. I would be more concerned about lack of storage space, which could always be addressed, but I have had many people express a dislike in regards to this, not exposed plumbing.
December 27, 2013 at 7:12am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
apple_pie_order
A wall mounted vanity that is suspended would look very up to date. The pedestal sink does not look good for exactly the reasons your contractor stated. Also, many, many people would want to have more space than a pedestal sink has to set down a hairdryer or contact lens solution or other cosmetic items. A small vanity (not wall mounted) would be my second choice. Beautiful tilework, by the way.
December 27, 2013 at 7:13am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
raineycarole
I think it's fine.
December 27, 2013 at 7:14am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
mariaed
I will disclose my bias to begin: in general I don't like Pedestal ones.
So not so fond of them and particularly not fond of the current one you have as the lines from the sink to not progress nicely into the pedestal.
The rest of the tile work is so super beautiful, if you have the funds, I would do a different sink.
December 27, 2013 at 7:43am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
mariaed
what about doing a shiny black small cabinet with white sink? One advantage might be that it blocks part of the toilet view.

Didn't quite find the picture I wanted, but this is the basic idea...but for your space I'm guessing would need to be narrower.
December 27, 2013 at 7:48am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
mariaed
one other...
December 27, 2013 at 7:49am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
bex740
I get what your trying to do with the small bathroom, I have one myself, I don't like the pedestal - if you have to keep the sink, try leaving the fixtures open and spray paint them a color that coordinates with your wall color (who says a pipe has to remain shiny and "pipe-like"!). I did this and it blends perfectly and looks intentional. Then, put a small basket or something under the sink to hold things like the hairdryer and curling iron.
December 27, 2013 at 8:07am      Thanked by Aaron Xie
kitter
Not a vanity, please! Such a small vanity wouldn't hold much anyway, would block access to the toilet & tub and make the room look much more cramped.
How do I know? I had a small bathroom similar in layout to yours and replaced the vanity with a pedestal sink. Everyone commented on how much bigger the room seemed when they didn't have to slink sideways past the vanity just to get to the toilet.
To replace the vanity top storage areas, add a clear glass shelf over the sink &/or toilet (high enough so that the toilet lid can still be removed:).
December 27, 2013 at 8:10am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
hayleydaniels
I don't mind pedestal sinks per se, but they're useless for anything but quickly washing your hands. You could never get ready in the morning in that bathroom even though it's a full bathroom as there's no place to put a toothbrush, comb, brush, blow dryer, make-up and the like. You need a countertop and some storage.
December 27, 2013 at 8:24am      Thanked by Aaron Xie
Aaron Xie
Thanks for all the replies. Though I am not sure whether a pedestal is suitable for my bathroom (looks like there are different opinions among Houzzers as well), I totally agree with mariaed that the sink does not go along well with the leg. I may take bex740's suggestion to put a shelf under the sink (as in the attached picture, but more a traditional style), and kitter's suggestion to put shelves on top of the toilet (no room above the sink, as there is a medicine cabinet).
December 27, 2013 at 8:50am   
dia18
I personally like pedestal sinks in small bathrooms , I had my plumber bring the plumbing up from the floor through the middle stand so that the plumbing was not seen. it is then just connected up to the taps from below. no plumbing seen. drop it down from the wall inside the wall and up through the floor. easy
December 27, 2013 at 9:00am        Thanked by Aaron Xie
santoslhauper
No vanity, for reasons kitter described. Pedestal sinks are fine, though personally when I put mine in my guest bath, I will completely expose the plumbing and do the visible parts in copper or chrome piping. You can do a small floating shelf next to it or above it for space to put toothbrush, etc. Maybe make one out of whatever stone you used for the tile or a white wood shelf.
December 27, 2013 at 10:01am      Thanked by Aaron Xie
Bridget
If you like a pedestal sink, then do it. It is your house and you are paying the contract. There are so many different styles of pedestal sinks. It is a good idea to have access to the water lines in case you need to turn off the water. Broken faucet or replacing faucets.
December 28, 2013 at 1:25pm   
Bridget
Is this an guest bathroom or for family members? That is first thing you should take into account. With a pedestal sink, the exposed plumbing has to look perfect, the feed lines the same height, where they come out of the wall has to look good, not large holes, tiles can not be cracked.
Maybe a different pedestal sink, one that matches the tub a little better.
December 28, 2013 at 1:42pm   
grobby
Liked dia's idea about bringing plumbing up higher so it won't be seen. Really, your contractor/ plumber should have guided you along on this. Would be a tight fit to use a cabinet. Also, think about using a glass shelf above sink to give you room to set a water glass, etc., can get the shelf at home improvement centers.
December 28, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Denita
How about something that is wall mounted with a vanity (floating vanity), but nothing touches the floor? Click on the link to see specs
VIGO VG09018118K1 Agalia Bathroom Vanity

Here is a similar installation that gives you an idea of what it would look like installed (but this one is a double sink and not a single style)
Kelly Solon
December 28, 2013 at 1:48pm   
Bridget
Attached are some different styles.
December 28, 2013 at 1:49pm   
pafarmhouse
I think that the problem with this sink is that it is viewed primarily from the side, unless one is standing directly in front of it while using it. Not that it helps, but if this sink was opposite the doorway (so that the doorway faced the front of it) I would say that it would be a nice choice. We recently replaced a small vanity in our powder room with a pedestal sink--it looks good, but the lack of space on the sink to put anything drove us to put in a small glass shelf adjacent to the sink.
December 28, 2013 at 2:03pm   
Al Brooks
The pedestal is perfect for your small bathroom where even a small vanity would be crowded. The little bit of plumbing showing looks just fine. I would have done exactly as you have.
December 28, 2013 at 4:41pm     
How bad does this look? (Flooring repair)
We moved the dishwasher over 2 feet, exposing the hole...
How bad does this look?
I know the picture is too high but I would like to...
Does This Look As Bad As I Think?? - Fireplace Facelift
I just gave my fireplace a little facelift. I painted...
Help!! My Bathroom Looks Bad!
What in the world can I do here to make it look just...
generic ceiling paint question
Hello All, My wife and I just purchased a single family...
OH LORD HELP!
My house was destroyed in Sandy. Finally trying to...
HELP! 50 shades of gray paint dilemma!
We are refinishing our basement family room. I used...
Need help arranging bedroom
Hi! I'm not sure of placement of furniture because...
Please help with these paint colors..
I was originally thinking of using the darker shade...