What to do with leftover arabesque tiles ~ ideas ?
oldfarmgal
9 sq ft in great shape (8x8 arabesque tiles) are residual from our kitchen project. Surely they can't be discarded, I refuse ;) ... What can I do with them...my mind is stuck, other than using them in a tray. Please share your inspiration. Thanks so much.
jn3344
Those are nice tiles! You might keep a couple in case you need replacements. Then what I did with my left over fireplace tiles is I tiled an outdoor table with them. If you don't have enough of them just make a medallion to fit the size of the table then use plain tiles around it to fill out the rest.
December 27, 2013 at 12:20PM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
oldfarmgal
a table top? well golly yes, our kitchen has a keeping room and i do have several small tables ... do you think jn3344 they would work well on an interior table top? i would imagine your outdoor table is quite lovely. have yet to get updated outdoor furnishings and not sure of style yet. thanks much also for the thought of using them as a medallion! that had not occured to me - brain freeze :)
December 27, 2013 at 12:24PM     
jn3344
Google Images "tile table top" theres a million gazzilion of them. Indoor is fine! I just think for me the rustic heaviness worked better outside.
December 27, 2013 at 12:28PM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
oldfarmgal
great suggestion i googled that as well as mosaic top :)
December 27, 2013 at 12:35PM     
Studio M Interior Design
Do you have pets? I've been dying to try this, but haven't had any backsplash tiles leftover from any projects lately. They are beautiful tiles!
December 27, 2013 at 12:36PM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
Denita
Also why don't you make one or two tile trivets with your kitchen tile? I love the idea posted by jn3344, but a couple of trivets with your kitchen décor tile can be nice
December 27, 2013 at 12:37PM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
oldfarmgal
oh we do have a zoo ! lol ... what fun studio m design!!!!!
December 27, 2013 at 12:42PM     
oldfarmgal
ah - trivets ;) we use those here to protect our antique farm table ... who groans at the mere mention of hot soup tureens. i could cabbage a couple from the bundle and let cork surround the tile, and thus combine jn3344 idea as a medallion with the trivet idea from you Denita. Oh goodness I may have to order more tile Studio M Interior Design !!! What a grand design dilemma to have. A pet food station...a pet food screen...a pet food table...Trivets and tabletops ~ can you see me smiling :)
December 27, 2013 at 12:47PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider...
Cutting a thin sheet of cork board in the shape of the tile and gluing it to the back of each one or a grouping to use as hot plates or flower pot trivets.
Using urethane or glass paint and urethane clear coat to apply your house number to a tile and mount near your front door or on your mailbox post.
Using urethane or glass paint and urethane clear coat to create "name tags" for your vegetable garden.
December 27, 2013 at 1:02PM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
oldfarmgal
house numbers, garden or other name tags ? Brilliant Scott Design Inc ! (ps your Vermont skihouse project is awesome)
December 27, 2013 at 1:14PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
@oldfarmgal...thanks for the compliment! It was a fun project with fantastic views!

You can also have some fun by using the tiles as door plaques for rooms usually associated with the kitchen area ...mudroom, laundry, pantry, etc.
December 27, 2013 at 2:42PM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
Marly
Do you have any nooks or other architecture you want to emphasize? I love the telephone shelf in my 1940s ranch, but the thick white paint was boring. We added a tile backsplash, and it looks so fun now!
February 12, 2014 at 3:01PM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
lynnelouise
Love the tiles. After our kitchen backsplash installation, we used our remaining tiles in a different pattern to surround the laundry room sink in the adjoining laundry room.
February 13, 2014 at 6:57AM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
lynnelouise
Photos of kitchen backsplash and laundry room sink surround.
February 13, 2014 at 6:59AM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
Curt D'Onofrio
Yes to keeping some as spare (in case your choice may be discontinued in the future). One ceramic floor tile cracked in my parents house. Could not find a replacement for it. My first thought though was to make a hot plate with them
February 13, 2014 at 7:12AM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
Frame them, either all together, individually on the same color backing, or individually on different colored backing.
February 13, 2014 at 7:23AM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
Glass Tile Store
I agree with JudyG!
February 17, 2014 at 4:17AM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
oldfarmgal
i appreciate all the great ideas and the warm responses! and do apologize that i have been unable to share my updates....(senior pet dilemma has our renovation on hold for the time being)
February 17, 2014 at 7:26AM   
Genevieve
You never know if someday you need to replace one or continue a design with them ,keep them in a marked box .

You can use them as trivets too.
February 17, 2014 at 7:36AM        Thanked by oldfarmgal
Trying very hard to remain calm!!
Our beautiful custom cabinets came today. Hooray!!...
Fireplace colour.
My kitchen, eating area and living room is open concept....
Exterior paint color suggestions
Hello all, We have been renovating this beautiful...
Help with Exterior Paint Scheme Please!
This is a 1947 house with cedar siding and brick foundation....
Caesarstone Raven vs Piatra Gray
We are remodeling our kitchen and my husband and I...