Past Decor Items You Love to Hate?
Any past decor items or trends that you love to hate? Especially things that you LOVED at the time, but now don't care for?

mileenawins
I never want to see those glass stems of grapes ever again!
December 27, 2013 at 1:34pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
rpolli
The duck lawn ornaments. However, there is a little old lady next to my kids school where someone beheaded the little thing. She keeps duct taping the head back on and every couple days the head is laying next to the body again. I almost wish I could find her a new one.
December 27, 2013 at 3:31pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
My sister used to decorate her rooms in themes. One room would be country geese, one mallard ducks, one country rabbits. And those Home Interiors wall groupings! They were everywhere.
December 27, 2013 at 3:39pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mmers
I had a 'bedroom suite' - ie, matching dresser, bedside tables, tall dresser, and bed - also a 'dining room suite'. The bed has been replaced and I'm working to get rid of the bedside tables. DR suite - sold to 3 different people on kijiji (one girl wanted the buffet and hutch as a display cabinet for her business, someone else wanted the table to refinish, and someone else wanted the 6 chairs). I never want to see matchy matchy again but I bought them all many years ago and they served me well (I guess....). They were really high quality and I know that the people who have the various pieces now will have them for awhile too.
December 27, 2013 at 3:43pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Brenda
this is probably just me, but ... wrought iron anything. I'm so over it.
December 27, 2013 at 3:50pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
tennisanyone
Huge clocks. Nothing says "welcome" when you are staring at a clock.
December 27, 2013 at 3:56pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
appytrails
wall to wall carpet... anywhere! UGH
December 29, 2013 at 2:43am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
kmkane
Silk flowers. Any fake plants or flowers, actually
December 29, 2013 at 2:47am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
leesadb
70's macrame, mushrooms on anything, shag carpet - even modern-day short shag makes me want to run out the door screaming!
kmkane
Oh, and wallpaper borders!!!!!
December 29, 2013 at 2:48am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
leesadb
the color combination maroon and hunter green!
December 29, 2013 at 2:55am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Stacey at Dohiy.com
Super shiny "brass" cafe curtain rods. Actually, anything in that fake super-shiny brass finish. I like real brass, just not that fake finish (used to have it everywhere!).
December 29, 2013 at 3:13am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
JAN MOYER
Things I never loved, will never love, and continue to despise:
Roosters, unless on the farm
Curly wrought iron
Curly wrought iron, mixed with wood in cheap furniture . THE WORST.
Wall paper borders on painted walls
Wallpaper borders on papered walls
Long eared "country" bunnies, stuffed, wearing a dress. NO!!!!!!!!!! Please NO!
Dried flowers
Trimmed lampshades with doo dads hanging, unless a child's room
Pinky/taupe walls
Pinky/taupe walls with yellow beige wall to wall carpet *&^%$#
Oak trim ( millwork) .....anywhere
Tiny print, low quality wallpaper. ( It's what gave wallpaper a bad name)
Houseplants: unless you live in the tropics, they are generally depressingly unhealthy)
I reserve the right to add to my list............
December 29, 2013 at 3:55am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
Don't laugh, I actually like that dream catcher. OK LAUGH.
December 29, 2013 at 3:56am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
jc07
Country blue and geese!
December 29, 2013 at 4:24am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sharon
Not sure about elsewhere in the world, but in Australia a short time ago, people had these toddler dolls that faced the corner. They were life like in size and clothing. You only ever saw the back of them, because they faced the wall or a corner. Don't know if they were meant to be crying in the corner or counting ready to play Hide & Seek, but they creeped me out!
December 29, 2013 at 4:36am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Bebong Benoot
these ones! i bought dog and cat a long time ago because they look so real (creepy!) now, the pair live in our cellar. and i had collections of porcelain dolls ranging from cheap to ultra pricey. never again!!!
December 29, 2013 at 4:44am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sharon
Good Lord! The doll in the blue dress in your last photo is FREAKING me out Bebong! How do you sleep with that in the house?? She is super creepy!!!
December 29, 2013 at 5:00am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
indianpatti
Sage and mauve ... yikes! Macramé plant hangers .. "hunter green" still makes me cringe.
December 29, 2013 at 5:14am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ewe3
@Sharon, the creepiest thing about those life-sized dolls, at least the ones I've encountered, is that they have no faces. They are meant to be seen only from the back. I always assumed Hide and Seek, or peeping in (one neighbor had them at the front storm door looking into the house). Also reminds me of those wooden yard cutouts showing backsides and legs only (I think supposed to be old-fashioned girls in bloomers leaning down away from you to pick flowers???).
December 29, 2013 at 6:13am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
tripledip3
Dating myself, my memories go back a while: Cheap faux-wood paneling, pricey no-wax vinyl flooring with the imbedded "rocks," upholstered rocking chairs with "country" prints like tea kettles and cups and saucers, Formica fake-wood tables; "Western" wagon wheel furniture with fake brown leather upholstery, bright-colored Formica counter tops, white enamel bathroom sinks with exposed pipes, yellowish-green and pink 5-inch bathroom wall and shower tile. And although they are still being sold, "word" wall art like "Imagine" and "Dream."
December 29, 2013 at 6:14am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
bluejeanroy
Harvest Gold and Alvarado Green. Those 2 colors just send shivers down my spine and it's not from delight!
December 29, 2013 at 6:19am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mkmort
Enclosed all in one cave-like bathtub surround especially in blue.
December 29, 2013 at 6:21am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
JAN MOYER---

Ditto to all you have said; and I also reserve the right to add to that list.

Painted rocks in the yard
Embroidered kitchen curtains with the little valance top.
The stable boy with black face in the front yard (really guys, enough already).
Starbursts
As mentioned before, bedroom suites, and three piece living room suites.
DINING ROOM CABINETS WITH DISHES ON DISPLAY.----------EGADS.
December 29, 2013 at 6:26am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Susan McFarland/RE/MAX Realty Group
Ok-in a very bad way the Australian dolls facing the corner wall resonates...I am sorry I read that.
December 29, 2013 at 6:34am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
In the 1960's my parents got rid of all their hand-me-down 1940's furniture and replaced it with Danish modern. As a child looking at the old photos I would get so upset, I loved the sideboard with the brass lions head in it! Fast forward to 2013 and I had to give mother a stern lecture on throwing away one on the dinning room chairs because it was wonky!!! She threw away a mid century modern piece of art that I once thought was ugly, so remember, what's ugly today will be beautiful again one day. That said, I would def recommend throwing away the dream catchers, sorry thickskin :-)
December 29, 2013 at 6:42am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
JAN MOYER
thickskin
Okay we MUST add:
those bent over cardboard ladies in the garden, with their lacy panties facing the rural road.........
PELICANS on the lawn.....
curtains that hit the window sill, unless it's the nursing home
vertical blinds
MAUVE vertical blinds
"brushstroke" pastel anything, including wallpaper, fabric, bedding.......u name it
Adobe Southwest decor, same colors as above especially when you live in a center entrance colonial
The garage as a summer family room.......screened. Sorry, so sorry, I am so very sorry.
Lumpy brown/or blue/ or green/ or any color...... fabric clad recliners with an oak stick handle. Grounds for divorce if ya ask me.
The huge leftover plasma tv, replete with a coating of dust, a lot of wires hanging out, and almost always in combination with a recliner.
December 29, 2013 at 6:55am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Bebong Benoot
@sharon: my daughter has the same sentiments as you about those dolls (and the cat as well) i used to find them cute and talk to them. i even gave them names! i had ones looking like vampires and a black one i call 'lizzy'. those were the days...
December 29, 2013 at 7:04am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
HI -- Everything that has already been mentioned and also "Theme " decorating like all that "Tuscan " stuff and "country "--- so over with ! I am so proud to say I have never owned - one of those Ikea chairs ,or one of those round papasan chairs - no dried flowers or wreaths-no macramé and no cheap grooved wood paneling and wallpaper borders and no furniture sets . I know people that still have all this stuff in their homes . It's all I can do to keep my mouth shut when I visit . And right now ,people please stop buying those big puffy over stuffed fake and real leather sofa sets with the sofa and matching love seat ( hate love seats ! )and the big chair with ottoman, and stop putting those big reclining man theater chairs in the living rooms , you know the ones that have the beer can and remote holders in the arms etc. I could go on , I have over 50 years of decorating peeves past and present !!
December 29, 2013 at 7:12am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
dianecourbat
I agree with many others, wallpaper borders, hunter green, brushstroke pastels. Does this mean I am following this trend, too?
December 29, 2013 at 7:18am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
JAN MOYER
All kidding aside, this is an excellent study regarding that which is junk fad, and that which is timeless. Think of the things that, while they may go in and out of "really now!!", never ever look out of date, or lose their appeal: White bath fixtures, penny sized floor tiles, marble, four poster beds, painted millwork, chinoiserie, blue and white Chinese porcelains, original art, porcelain garden seats, clean lined furniture, be that traditional or mid century modern, windsor chairs, glass doorknobs, real brass, handwoven rugs, we could go on an on.
Now go back, and read the lists from all the Houzzers. Pretty scary huh?
December 29, 2013 at 7:21am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
shadowmatrix0101
Colored and/or mirrored garden globes. I still have no idea what they are or what they're used for, but I can't help but look at one and wonder if they're trying to communicate with aliens or is it a centerpiece for a moon worshipping ritual. What -are- those things? Creeps me out.
December 29, 2013 at 7:26am     
rredpenn
Shiny brass, 8x10 or smaller, picture frames. I must've had 25 or more of them that I have gotten rid of in the past two years... I admit that I used to love having family photos (professional and candids) all over my house, and now have only five up (in private spaces).
December 29, 2013 at 7:36am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
@JAN MOYER

Well said.
December 29, 2013 at 7:46am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Leslie Dawn knowles
Dusty pink and blue country anything, lace trim on everything including toilet paper covers. I was once in a home with these colors and the lady liked ducks- they were everywhere - on wallpaper, pictures. Many were wearing little lace caps.
December 29, 2013 at 7:59am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
You all just perfectly described my sisters old house. Country rabbits, frilly lace on toilet paper rolls, country/Williamsburg blue and dusty pink, wallpaper border and yes, even a stand in the corner doll.
December 29, 2013 at 8:13am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sharon
Ok, the bum up, frilly knickers doll must be a local thing. Who has a pic for me to see? Gawd, I'm laughing as I type! We've all bought something that we thought was darling at the time, only to look back on it as tragic!
December 29, 2013 at 8:25am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
the sellable home, LLC
this was so much fun to read! :-)
December 29, 2013 at 8:28am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
soozmacrae
I loath vertical blinds and wall paper borders.
December 29, 2013 at 8:36am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
puntagordalady
mushroom kitchen canisters, cows/pigs in the kitchen, paint by number paintings!
December 29, 2013 at 8:37am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Did I mention my sister's old house was Home Interior'ed to the gills?
December 29, 2013 at 8:39am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
killarneylass
So many decorating "sins"but I truly do despise the puffy "leather"sofas,doilies,and cheap silk flowers.
December 29, 2013 at 8:51am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
Sorry puntagordalady I have a Talavera flying pig on a shelf in my kitchen cos I figure round about the time that thing flies will be when I manage to cook something without my friends refusing to be the first to taste it.
December 29, 2013 at 8:53am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
puntagordalady
hum, I think the pigs in the kitchen refers to a kitchen filled with pigs, canisters, pot holders, towels etc... One pig is just right not 100
December 29, 2013 at 8:56am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
I hate puffy leather sofas too but have you ever sat in one? Oh lord they are comfy.
December 29, 2013 at 9:00am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
happyasaclam
Cow, rooster and pigs in the kitchen, dolls or rabbits with dresses made to sit on the tops of vacuum cleaners to diguise them, embroidery hoops as picture frames, fake plants of any kind - especially ivy. Some of these things may be regional so if you don't know what I'm talking about, please don't think I'm crazy! And the dolls that faced the corner - I think they were "sent" to the corner because they were "naughty", like real children. lol. :)
December 29, 2013 at 9:11am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
@flowerbill

Most of those puffy sofas and recliners are NOT leather, but pleather. You stick to them in the warm weather. Some of them have breathing holes for the air to escape when you sit. Need I say more.
December 29, 2013 at 9:19am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
puntagordalady
five or ten years from now it will be, bird cages, anything French or Paris, huge clocks, cloches, the color gray!
December 29, 2013 at 9:41am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
@thickskin
I know and don't those holes make for some embarrassing moments if you plonk yourself down! :-(
December 29, 2013 at 9:42am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
karelina
Remember shag carpet - impossible to clean and was usually in more than one color - what I removed was electric orange and yellow. Does anyone remember fitted plastic covers on furniture that you were supposed to sit on that squeaked when you sat down? How about wallpaper murals - glued to the wall and really hard to remove? Stripped an 1883 cigar display cabinet with 7 layers of that stick on shelf paper alternating with paint.
December 29, 2013 at 9:45am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
oldblackdog
I ha
December 29, 2013 at 9:55am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Bettie Waddle
When I moved into my '50's house, the living room/dining room (all one) were carpeted in orange and green shag - can't remember which part was which. Harvest gold drapes. Pink, green and maroon bathroom tile. Brass directional lights, even in the kitchen. Luckily, the house had a lot of "potential."
December 29, 2013 at 10:11am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
Hanging tiffany style shades - especially the painted ones! Geese that hang their necks over a shelf (just begging to be knocked off - I have three of them, somewhere, with the heads detached - handmade by my mother, no less): Indiscriminate hoards of anything labeled "collections".
December 29, 2013 at 10:13am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Ann Meyer
back in the '80s there was a craze for stylized country GEESE that employed these 3 colors:
salmon pink,
cream and
pale turquoise
people bought a lot of wallpaper and kitchen items with these hideous components.
December 29, 2013 at 10:20am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Belahn
Some of you are being a bit harsh. I still like some of the things listed, such as Southwest and adobe style, but I do live in the Southwest desert. I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. What I despise is when people put words on the wall like someone already mentioned. Things like "yummy" on the pantry door or "faith" and "family" on the wall. I also hate when people decorate with books. Books are to be read, not used as decoration. That immediately lowers your IQ by at least 10 points when I see that. And WHAT is with carpeted covers on toilet seats? Seriously, why?
December 29, 2013 at 10:35am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
My sister had the country geese in Williamsburg blue. I hate that color. And country geese.
December 29, 2013 at 10:39am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
northseeker
I moved into a house in the early 80s that was painted (I kid you not) Flamingo pink. Shortly after, some friends installed those Flamingo yard ornaments in the front yard. Of course, I could get a lot for them now that they are collectables (they were the original ones). But I hauled them to the dump and immediately painted the house brown. I also removed the shag carpeting (it was also Flamingo). LOL!

I do like dream catchers still. But I'll say shag carpeting, any kind of wall to wall carpeting (imagine what's living in there), matchy-matchy furniture sets, fake paneling, well--anything fake including those flowers, and country or western kitch. I agree with the poster who said some things are timeless, though. Good quality furniture, handcrafted anything, things with memories and heart...
December 29, 2013 at 10:51am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Ann Meyer
There is a 4th "L" to hang on your walls -- live love laugh LEARN, people!
There's a wallpaper border for sale on ebay with the 'country geese hearts' motif. i may have to buy it myself to prevent someone else from ever using it...
December 29, 2013 at 10:55am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
northseeker
I'm with Belahn on the books. When I see people have arranged by color or put on matching covers where you can't even see the book titles, I really wonder. Of course, I am one who always looks at the titles in photo shoots with books! And yes, we are being "harsh"--often about our own old preferences! How long do you think that Pantone orchid color, whatever the name is, will last? It's the new avocado!
December 29, 2013 at 10:56am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
OK, I just remembered. I had a neighbour who had a ROUND bed; She also had all her furniture covered with plastic. And this is no lie,she had pinch pleated drapes with each pleat pinned perfectly to the carpet and then the whole wall to wall drape custom covered in plastic. Some of you should have gone to the bathroom before reading this.
December 29, 2013 at 11:15am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
December 29, 2013 at 11:16am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Becky Blackburn
Themed decorating, flowered anything...slip covers, wall paper, shower curtains, dishes, wall art, etc. , what-nots all over the house makes me want to run out the door screaming, Fake gold picture frames, folk art, fake plants, unhealthy live plants, too much furniture for a room, especially matching end tables and coffee tables, big bulky entertainment centers. I could go on and on...I have become somewhat of a minimalist as I have gotten older, in love with simple clean lines and nothing that is not "necessary" except a few well placed "large" accents.
December 29, 2013 at 11:17am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thedarlingsbecca
I think of these passe items often when reading postings and advice on Houzz. i love knowing the newer trends and seeing how items come and go and which linger or stay.

What I dislike is the race to change everything, constantly. Also, the trashing, replacing or "renovating" of good quality, classic items whether they be antique furniture now being painted or the constant switching of "in" color schemes.

When I find a look I like, I stick with it. It takes about ten years for me to slowly pull it together so it flows throughout the house. I like the process. It was a big deal for me to change from rusty earth colors to light blue to my current grays, shades of reds and greens.

Throughout, my original 1910 round oak kitchen table with bulb bottom and 1920 carved oak buffet have stood my test of time and held up where many newer items would have been long gone. Originally, they were bought because the furniture I could afford in the 1970's was badly made and designed. I grew to love lasting quality and solid woods.

My wooden pieces have been the backbone of my decor. They have morphed from lush velvet looks, to a little bit of country, to traditional, to old European, to the more functional mix of all of those to what I have now. i still enjoy buying a few things here and there to update a bit or replace tired-looking or worn pieces. I find what I most often need to replace or change are upholstered pieces, painted walls redone and to select new accent colors.

As for my glass stemmed bunches of grapes, mine are clear and used on the lower branches of the Christmas tree. My grandkids say they look like fish eggs, but I like them!
December 29, 2013 at 11:18am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
kathyr0308
Brass and glass furniture, blue country-geese prints, vinyl wallpaper! I always thought the cutouts of bent-over people in yards were old ladies pulling weeds. EEEWW...also stuffed teddy bears in clothes and big butterflies on houses!
December 29, 2013 at 11:31am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
JAN MOYER
Sharon,
They look like THIS : ) Click and laugh http://www.fotosearch.com/UNU129/u16121337/
thedarlingsbecca
i have been smiling about the interpretations of the dolls standing with their bodies and faces toward the corner. Let me explain: Before the days of Dr. Benjamin Spock (the pediatrician, not of Star Wars fame), children who misbehaved were told to, "Go stand in the corner!" This was a before 1940's form of "time-out", a brief "correction" for younger children. There's a classic painting of a Victorian little girl standing in the corner, crying. Next to her is her big dog who has joined her there, in sympathy, or been sent there, too. Next to both of them is the pedestal that held the big, beautiful urn of flowers or plants that has very recently been knocked to the floor and broken into many pieces. it no doubt is the reason they have been sent to the corner, or put themselves there, regretting that their indoor "rough-housing" has caused this mishap.
December 29, 2013 at 11:43am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
JAN MOYER
I had never seen them. Surprised, since I lived in the deep south.
December 29, 2013 at 11:44am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
uaecrocus
Jan & Ewe3

These are truly horrible! I'm so glad that they've never reached Scotland! :-D
December 29, 2013 at 11:45am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
I am glad we are ending the year with a laugh. Here's to 2014.
December 29, 2013 at 11:48am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Anyone get on that antique kick in the 90's? Butter churns, washboards, stuff like that. My sister did and now I have all that stuff in my attic. She decorated my dad's house when he and her mom married (my sister is actually my stepsister) - now the house is mine but traces of Williamsburg blue still linger, LOL.
December 29, 2013 at 11:52am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
We should try not to be unkind to our friends and relations still stuck in those eras . one of my sisters has it all - busy patterned wallpaper on the bottom and dainty coordinate on top, with themed borders in between (though some also have border at the top), in every room; the "MAN CHAIR" in the living room, facing the 50" TV, double recliner sofa with matching love seat, lift-top coffee table in golden oak with marching end tables and a lovely honey maple piano that nobody plays, all crammed into the living room; carefully matched sets of furniture everywhere else with gold-framed family pictures almost obliterating the wallpaper on every wall except the ones bedecked with shelves for the mini collectibles, and a pink and blue tile bathroom (that's new!). I asked her what became of the hand-made dream-catchers she used to have above her brass, patchwork-bedecked bed (they've been replaced with highly romanticized watercolor prints of an Indian maid and brave) and she replied, with total seriousness, "Nobody has those anymore. You're supposed to put them under the bed so you can keep the dreams they caught."

Of course, keep in mind, this is the same sister who took the antique, hand-pegged, heart-pine rocking chair with hand painted mahogany grain (that I had to learn rush seating to repair for her), which was my wedding present to them, and stripped, stained, and "refinished" it. The cherry on top was when she showed it to me and asked me to admire the great job she had done on that "old Chair" I gave her - now it really looked antique! And there went the hand-rubbed wax finish.

So what can we do? We can't kill them, so I guess we have to just kindly keep loving them.
December 29, 2013 at 12:13pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
akakaka
What do people do with the glass or resin bunches of grapes? I remember when they were first around in the 60's on the dining room table. Are they ironic or is there a decorating trend I haven't seen?
ausbengal
Jan & Ewe3, first, I cant believe anyone would put those things in the garden. I have never seen them in Australia. second, everything seems to come back into favour again but I sure hope salmon coloured vertical blinds and puffy lounge suites never do. What about old car tyres turned into swans in the front yard.
December 29, 2013 at 12:15pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Don't forget the curio cabinets to house your Precious Moments collection.
December 29, 2013 at 12:19pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ewe3
Believe it, ausbengal. They do. And thickskin, maybe not so much deep South if by that you mean Louisiana, Alabama. More like SC/NC, maybe Georgia. I live in NC and see them all the time, especially in the eastern part of the state.

But ausbengal, you got me... tire swans??? Your turn to find a picture for us!
December 29, 2013 at 12:26pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
PirateFoxy
When my parents bought their house it had bright pink shag carpeting in one room, and bright purple in another, and then the stairs down to the basement alternated pink-purple-pink-purple. My mom insisted on the carpet in the rest of the house being replaced before they moved in, but they kept the basement stairs. It's useful when people don't believe how awful it was. "No, look, see?" :)

I like the dreamcatcher too, but I don't really regard it as a decorating theme - it's a personal item you might have up in the same way you'd have books that are of interest to you, or family photos. Rooms without any personal items that look too much like magazine styled rooms freak me out a little. I end up afraid to touch anything.
ausbengal
we have black swans in Australia,
December 29, 2013 at 12:34pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ausbengal
we also have the non-indigenous swans
December 29, 2013 at 12:36pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ewe3
Can't say I've seen any of those birds, black or white, in these parts!
December 29, 2013 at 12:38pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ausbengal
I am also well and truly over shabby chic
December 29, 2013 at 12:45pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
akakaka
OOH, I've never seen the swans before. I'm sure my husband has some old tires on the upper 10.
December 29, 2013 at 12:54pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ausbengal
tyre swans are very versatile, not only are they used for decorations but they can be useful by using them as planters. lol
December 29, 2013 at 12:58pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
shredder1952
Still love my lava light! Not a fan of flocked wallpaper though.
December 29, 2013 at 12:59pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
akakaka
The creepiest house I was ever in was one I was cleaning when I was in college. All the furniture matched, including the children's, and was brand new. There were no personal items at all any where in the whole house. I always felt like the family was in the Witness Protection program.
December 29, 2013 at 1:00pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Greg Erdos
I love wall to wall carpet, comfortable warm and improves acoustics in big tall rooms.. Hate foot noise of wood.
ausbengal
akakaka, or the stepford wives.
December 29, 2013 at 1:02pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
I'm not crazy about the idea of distressed furniture because to me, some of it really looks like it needs to go in the dumpster.
December 29, 2013 at 1:31pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
okdokegal
Dusty blue, dusty rose, that sagey green, especially mixtures thereof... stuff with geese and geese with bows on their necks....
Yard Geese, those things that people went gaga over and had clothes to dress them up in.
GEESE! (you get the hint?)
Country floppy rabbit is close second.

Crafty countryspun art that involves twigs and ribbons and little painted wood cut outs, or silk flowers, especially in the blue and rose colors to tack all over your walls, stick in vases, put on your mantle---all I can see is all the dust you're holding there and this house, I am not kidding, they had plastered the walls with it and took it all down but left all the nails in; I removed almost a pint jar full of small nails from all the walls (hallways, all bedrooms, the kitchen, the bathrooms, the living room) when we moved in. Since all the drywall is now forfeit inside anyways, it finally doesn't matter about the swiss cheese walls.

The old shag carpets. My mom had a 2 toned gold and I spent my life vacuuming and raking that thing with this plastic rake to make it look right.
From the 70's, that Harvest Gold, Avocado Green (especially) and there was a poppy red and a dark brown that weren't as bad. Oh and Fondue. Such a mess to set up and clean up... and you ALWAYS have to have doubledippers. Ewww.

Shabby Chic. It can look good but when it's EVERYWHERE it gets old. I've seen perfectly lovely old pieces put through the paces and turned into junk to be fashionable. I have seen 'good' shabby chic, but I figure if my stuff looks like that from decades of use, that's different, but to take new or collectable level stuff and turn it into trashy looking curb finds makes me ill.

I'll add my hate of taking down all your upper cabinets and putting up open shelves in your kitchen. A few here and there is a design accent but it looks like you're too poor to afford cabinets to protect and store your kitchen stuff. And putting up cabinets with big massive crown moulding toppers, and leaving them short of the ceiling. It looks like they didn't get installed right.

Macramé, I made VATLOADS of it in the 60's and especially the 70's and made a living off it. When it made a resurgence I used to teach people at this one beadshop HOW TO, as the management required them if there weren't customers to service, to make chokers, necklaces, and bracelets to stock the shelves with... and I would get paid in beads. I can still stand macramé EXCEPT the owl towel holders, that had a D ring for the foot perch to hold your little hand towel. I must have made fifty zillion of them; and couldn't keep up with the demand. I guess they were the 'Geese With Bows On Their Neck' item of that era.
December 29, 2013 at 1:35pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Wow, thank God I found this place! I was planning to do my bathroom in sage green but someone posted somewhere about sea salt green and I decided to go with that instead - awesome color!!

As for making something look distressed, I don't get it. To me it looks junky and unfinished.
December 29, 2013 at 1:53pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
xavalexa
My mother was going for the modern look in the 1960s, so grey it was - carpet, walls and tile with pops of turquoise (couch) and other colors. My bedroom walls were a variation of turquoise. Sound familiar? What goes around, comes around. She had a lot of indigenous textiles which were lovely and helped to break up the grey (and I wish they had lasted (sunlight got them). BUT I totally hate grey, YUCK - it's deadening to me, and I will never have it, and can't believe it's 'back.' As a child, what do you see the most?- the floor, because you're always sitting/laying on it, drawing, reading, playing with the dog etc. Fast forward: I am currently looking for furniture for a very small house, finding the huge-proportioned furniture are atrocities, not to mention "bar height" tables and chairs. Not friendly to old and young, not to mention short people like me. As for leather couches/loveseats - nothing else works with dogs & kids and sloppy husbands....
December 29, 2013 at 2:09pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
chudecki3
I can't believe no one has added dust ruffles / bed skirts as a dated thing. I remember my mom sewed me one to match my curtains when I was a kid in the late 70's. Good times!
December 29, 2013 at 2:10pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
beeloved
I'm with everyone creeped out by the toddler dolls facing the wall. The first one I saw looked a little creepy to me, but a totally freaked out when I found that it had NO EYES! Yikes!!
And I guess context is everything, because the dream catcher in the lead photo is the first one I've ever seen that appeals to me!
December 29, 2013 at 2:28pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
cbrichards
I no longer want to decorate my house mainly to please someone else. I love my home more than ever because we now only choose what we love and not what is popular. I have a sage living room because I love the color. I used to like gray but now it is so overdone that I am sick of it. In the 80s, I bought so much of that wooden junk because it was in style and I didn't know my own tastes then. When I see it in someone's house, I cringe. I now only embrace a trend if I truly love it. I do make changes often though. I think a house that never changes is boring.
December 29, 2013 at 2:33pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
2dogssashatess
I live in oz and I've seen those creepy dolls looking out the window. Actually have to say I don't like dolls full stop. Did anyone see the CHucky movies? Say NO to dolls!!
December 29, 2013 at 2:36pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
craljh
Alvarado ????? That gives me the shivers that avocado could be misspelled so badly.
December 29, 2013 at 2:49pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
darwinIam
The Montana Blackfoot Dream Catcher has its place in each of our home(s) at nighttime.
December 29, 2013 at 2:59pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Khaanee
Mini blinds, country blue and clustered knick knacks , like you live in Cracker Barrel. I know gray is in, but I am over that already. Gloomy is not a color concept for me.
December 29, 2013 at 3:01pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Some of my stepsister's stuff ended up in my dad's house so I currently have matchy matchy end tables/coffee table and a country blue sofa. *head desk* My reno/redeco is a gradual thing because of money and time.
December 29, 2013 at 3:14pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
rraith
Doesn't anyone hate chevron and trellis print fabric yet? How about antlers? I also do not care for heavily distressed furniture and peeling or chipped paint...it all looks dirty and raggety to me.
December 29, 2013 at 3:18pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ewe3
chudecki3, if you don't have dust ruffles, where do you hide all your country blue goose ribbon twig shag macrame decor that you can't quite bear to part with? ; )
December 29, 2013 at 3:23pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ewe3
rraith, chevron was the cover photo and one of the top listed trends in another similar thread recently.
December 29, 2013 at 3:25pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
Chevron is just that, a trend. and as with all trends, it dates your house quickly.
December 29, 2013 at 3:34pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
dooenmabest
xavalexa... I did my house all grey in the 90's, with some florals and pinks to break it up. I'm still a minimalist person, but that was ridiculously sterile!
December 29, 2013 at 3:40pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Brenda
printed patterns or fabric are on an endless cycle of 'trendy' 'not trendy' .... florals, paisley, stripes, plaid, geometrics ... wash, rinse, repeat ...
December 29, 2013 at 3:41pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Brenda
dooenmabest -- oy vey on the balloon curtains. I do believe I had a pair of those myself ... but instead of pink I had seafoam green every-freaking-where ...
December 29, 2013 at 3:42pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
Balloon curtains???????????
December 29, 2013 at 3:46pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Yeah and those poufy balloon valances. MY. EYES.
December 29, 2013 at 3:48pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
dooenmabest
I made all the balloon curtains myself. I loved them! Oy vey is right Brenda! Here's another pic for you... lol...
December 29, 2013 at 3:53pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
indianpatti
LMAO as I think back to the 80's ... remembering that I had a valance in my babies room that I actually stuffed with plastic bags so it would balloon even more!
December 29, 2013 at 3:57pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
dooenmabest
That's hilarious indianpatti. It's a wonder I didn't think of that one!
December 29, 2013 at 4:01pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
tcufrog
Perhaps we should retitle this thread "Trends we hope never come back."

I recently saw some glass grapes on sale as vintage finds on One Kings Lane.

I'm sooo over faux painting. A friend of mine coined the term "over fauxed" for when someone goes overboard with faux painting. I also hope badly done stenciling doesn't come back along with splatter painting and inspirational sayings on fake wooden boards and wall stickers.
xavalexa
Angels....
December 29, 2013 at 4:02pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
grobby
Laughing and remembering how good my house looked in dusty pink and blue. Absolutely loved it, but that was also when we wore " big hair and shoulder pads." How times change, never thought I would like the clean, simple look, but working my way there. Personally, I never understood having 15 pillows on the bed. For the pouty, wooden boy and girl leaning towards a corner, they are called, Time Out Dolls.
December 29, 2013 at 4:03pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
@dooenmabest

I'm so sorry.
December 29, 2013 at 4:04pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
What exactly is faux painting?
December 29, 2013 at 4:07pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
okdokegal
I'll agree on so many designer accent pillows on couch or bed you can't sit on either until you offload half a ton to... the floor? I have seen beds piled so high that literally over 3/4 of the bed is full of pillows and there are pillows on top of pillows at the headboard. And they're so frillyfoufou you can't even use them to prop up a body part.

Faux painting is say trying to fake marble, using a few different colors, sponges, and a turkey feather (they ARE the best for painting rock veining though) to make the painted surface LOOK like it's real marble. A really good faux painter trying to replicate certain things, can pull it off, but only until you get close to it. If walking by, the accent pillar can look snazzy but get up to arm's length... it's paint. A lot of it doesn't age well either, try scrubbing sprayed soda off it and it will probably come off.
December 29, 2013 at 4:10pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
dooenmabest
I now have no curtains in my home and I hope balloon curtains never return! In Australia we called them Austrian blinds.
December 29, 2013 at 4:11pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Oh okay! Faux painting does not sound good.
December 29, 2013 at 4:16pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
fefie
what about those sofas and chairs that are so deep you have to have 6 pillows behind your back or your legs are sticking out straight like little children sit? Or perhaps I am wrong all together and they are just made to be looked at in staged homes.
December 29, 2013 at 4:41pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
sawellmon
To all of the people who throw away anything actually made of wood even if paint is chipped or peeling and old, please leave address here so I can check your trash even after it has sat out for several days. I will laugh all the way the local antique shop but please don't get upset if I pass up on many things that have been made in the last couple of decades as I can't get anything for them. Last but not least, if you happen to come by my house and something looks a little familiar, no you may not have it back!
December 29, 2013 at 4:48pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
astartestar
I very greatly hate stencils. Flatter than flat they are. Vertical blinds look awful wherever they are hung, in whatever colour. Huge enormous mirrors everywhere - wish I loved myself that much. Houzz loves those big freestanding tubs with raised ends, which probably need a rolled steel joist running the whole length of the house to support them. I so do not love them, and I bet the poor help loathes them when s/he bends over at 45' and presses his/her abdomen over the rim to try and sluice the grot away. AND ANOTHER THING! Giant picture windows! NO! I know you have glorious landscapes over there, but why not get out and WALK ABOUT in them? The carbon footprint of those acher-ages of glass is too terrible to contemplate! And for some reason it's always in people who say they have built as green a house as possible! Dried herbs gathering dust in enormous bunches from the kitchen ceiling and dropping bits of themselves in your hair - the sage so powerful after 10 years' dessication you could stuff a skunk with it and only smell salvia. "Farmhouse" kitchens in the middle of London - Phyllis in Dulwich knows whereof I speak, dear. Leaded glass doors in KITCHENS, providing ledges for all manner of grot. I love looking at Houzz, but have to say that the general sense of shapeless spaces - vast polished floors I'd be frightened to slip and turn a heel on, tiptoeing from rug to the safety of the next across the knotty pine, gazing in terror out at Texas unfolding endlessly before me through the hectare of glass, cringing away from the mirrors - gives me a sense of existential crisis. But I'm a 5 foot 8 hobbit at heart. We think a room 10 by 12 is big here in Sussex.
December 29, 2013 at 5:08pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
karelina
Uh, oh! I think I'm having kitsch withdrawal! Don't take my indian prints and tie dyes away! My ethnic prints and handmade fabrics! I need my colors. Wait, are they back in?
December 29, 2013 at 5:23pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ciderhillfarm
We share a lake cabin with several other family members. Every discarded piece of outdated, ugly furniture, housewares, technology, outdoor furniture, linens, etc. ends up at the lake. We've had recliners in powder blue, mint green, orange, and beige, all in the same room at the same time, with the blue dining table set with avocado green dishes. With a big family there's no limit to the amount of ugly a house can hold. I'd post a picture but thank God I don 't have any.
December 29, 2013 at 5:25pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
moggiesmom
Remember those plastic valences, that had holes to pull the fabric through, so it looked poufy,the fabric that was used was big cabbage roses, everyone in my neighborhood had them in every room, except me,I hated them, come to think About it, Lady Di's wedding dress was a big pouffy mess, how they talked this young girl into this wedding dress I'll never know!
December 29, 2013 at 5:35pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
okdokegal
Mogglesmom, that lady they always said had such a great sense of 'style', and I found her fashions always 'overdone' (if it had poufs it had huge poufs, if it had a sailor collar it was a HUGE collar, etc,) She was about 20% from true classic style, proportions were always 'off'.

I'll add about curtainage with the over done swags and poufs hanging from the valance; towards the end there was about a foot sticking out from the plane of the hanging curtains.. I was amazed to find curtain rod sets with about 5 sets for the sheers, the blockers, the pleats, the swags, and the valance and maybe 2 layers of valance... and they stood out a good foot. You were to put your couch in front of this great cantelievered mess, and needed HUGE end tables that went backwards to bracket that and a skinny couch; or you had the couch way out into the room and nothing else could happen in that room but your great staged ensemble. Yes the couch also had to have 'the coffee table' out there; so, yes, by the time you got all those layers in place, you could walk past it at the other wall to get through the room. Those matching pair of chairs (and they morphed into big recliner rocker things- in that shiny sort of shaggy satiny stuff, in say iced blue, seafoam green, old gold, and the burnt orange... were mandatory just to fill the corners past The Great Couch Set and get to use the endtables too?

And smoked gold vein shot mirror tiles, or big saloon type mirrors like that; and hanging swag lights, usually in amber, green, or a smoked grey glass, to have the swag chains drape over that way, to hang over the end tables? And it all sat on 2-toned shag carpeting?

May all that NEVER come back....
December 29, 2013 at 5:57pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Nora Qudus
All of the above and I hate stainless steel appliances those huge professional stoves, and I loathe the double door fridge I have with the bottom freezer drawer after a year and a 1/2 with it I hate it every time I open it ..... I am glad I never had the time to get a lot of these things that are so despised now!
December 29, 2013 at 6:03pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
JAN MOYER
astartestar
Have you considered a career in comedy? The entire country is definitely not Texas, though I will admit regional styles abound here, and not all are seemingly appropriate to their surroundings, ie heavy tapestry fabrics adorning massive furninture in Florida midst miles of beige walls, when out the door live palms swaying in a tropical breeze! Thanks for my word for the day: "grot" !
Can't wait to try that one out on a client.....has a nice ring to it. : )
December 29, 2013 at 6:04pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Chris Daugert
Such a delightful article. Like a walk down memory lane. I have been in my home 40 years and still have remnants of just about every item mentioned. We make fun of them today but in their time they were so "in". My favorite era of decorating was the '80s. Loved the light colors, all of the crystal and delicate items. I guess with age I have pared down quite a bit, only displaying items I truly have an affection for. No more displayed collections of anything. Oh wait, does anyone know what I should do with all of these lemons?
December 29, 2013 at 6:05pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
n247080
paintings on black velvet and lava lamps.....ugh....
December 29, 2013 at 6:08pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
JAN MOYER
Since we've covered furniture and accessories, jump right in on your past wardrobe. For those with short memories or those suffering an abundance of youthful vigor, let me begin with Nehru jackets, puckered stretchy shirts, Pilgrim style shoes, the chunky heel variety with a huge buckle for extra adornment, flips, QUIANA, pilly polyester pants, homemade empire waist dresses, bellbottoms. ......okay, jump in : )
December 29, 2013 at 6:14pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
sawellmon
Okay so you have no pics of that ugly mess of a cabin but I bet there are incredible memories made in that mess and I bet there are not many who even care what furniture they sat on except maybe a couple women who have secret desires to be interior decorators. They memories are worth much more.
December 29, 2013 at 6:18pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Kari D
Being that my closest neighbors and most common guests are deer, it drives me crazy that people put life-like ones on their lawn. They're cheap looking in the daylight, and at night when I'm driving they (the fake ones) scare the crap out of me. I'm so use to having to slow down for my "guests" in my own driveway that I'm always on the look out in the nearby neighborhoods for deer running across the street. The worst was a deer decorated yard I use to drive by daily and after a while I didn't give it a second glance until a real one came running out of the yard one night, and I almost hit it. Maybe a fairy set a fake one free of it's eye sore misery and brought it to life?
December 29, 2013 at 6:23pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
smartin1
Anything in my MILs house. She built it ten years ago, but decorated as if it was built in 1983. Pink walls throughout, except the rooms painted mint green. I made the mistake of telling her that the paint was pink, not taupe, and that she needed to stop the painting and get the right color. Big mistake! Bright brass everywhere and tchotkes collected and never edited since the 50's. When she moved in, I edited it all down and put 10 boxes of junk collected over a 50 year period in the basement. Think seashell ships, painted coconuts, huge castle candles made of dripping wax, black velvet paintings, country straw hats with lace bows, cheap flower arrangements purchased at yard sales with the dust already covering them. She drug all 10 boxes back up and proudly displayed every single piece of it. Then, she put down cheap oriental runners and carpet remnants on the floor and left the plastic on the one new lamp shade. She thinks it's lovely, all 9,000 pieces of it.
December 29, 2013 at 6:47pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
akakaka
Actually we spend every New Year in a cabin that has been decorated with every era starting in 1900. The mounted deer head with the miss matched antlers, the huge table covered in linoleum, and especially all the photos from all the decades past , just make the time spent there so special.
Just forget about decor and keep the things that have meaning to you.
December 29, 2013 at 6:50pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
kmkane
Nora Qudus, Oh I so agree about the stainless steel appliances! This started with people thinking "restaurant quality." Yeah, well, I don't live in a restaurant and neither do you! OK, so they're better than harvest gold, avocado green and brown, but still. You watch, in a few years, they'll be out the door, just like all those side-by-side refrigerators on Craigslist!
December 29, 2013 at 6:55pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Diane G.
Note to self: never have any of these people over....have some carpeting on the 2nd and 3rd floors..(3 story townhouse with many stairs wd be quite noisy without it) and a couple of silk plants. Hate empty corners.
December 29, 2013 at 7:02pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Christina Budgell
My pet peeve would be context. Decor should be at least a little sympathetic to the style of house. I prefer updating the classics not eliminating them because of trends. Some styles should also stay put in their geographical location. Hawaiian design does not translate here in Canada at all! Nevermind paint colours. Paint to suit the room and lighting. Grey here is the worst colour to paint when winter can be 8 months. Yikes. Oh, and daft decor items. Truly, rural people don't store or display saddles in the living room…or anywhere else in the house for that matter. Stop that. Lol
December 29, 2013 at 7:03pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
PirateFoxy
@Nora Qudus - I will take your huge professional stove and double door fridge with bottom freezer. I love to cook and all that space for cooking and storing food is glorious!
December 29, 2013 at 7:07pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
PirateFoxy
@Christina Budgell - Disagree! I know plenty of rural horse people who store their saddles in the living room. Usually on a proper saddle stand and either because it's being cleaned (and is thus surrounded by the associated sponges and whatever) or because the barn doesn't have climate control and they don't want to leave it exposed to the temperature changes in the winter or risk it getting moldy during the damp season. Usually then they have it covered up by something to protect it from household dust, and it's generally in an accessible place because they actually USE it regularly.

Short version: I do know people who store tack like saddles in the house, but you can usually tell it isn't there as decoration.
December 29, 2013 at 7:13pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
sawellmon
My saddles both stand proudly in my living rm on their red saddle rack for the exact reasons that were stated and because I have more invested in them than what many used cars sell for. Are they a decorators dream....maybe not but they did receive a big red bow on them for Christmas and if people come and judge my house, well maybe they won't come back.
December 29, 2013 at 7:51pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
Who wants to stencil some pink flowers with country blue ribbons around my living room?
December 29, 2013 at 8:08pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ausbengal
I am already over the industrial look with grey everywhere. cant wait to see what the next "new" thing will be. and I will probably want it. hahaha
December 29, 2013 at 8:29pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
PirateFoxy
@sawellmon - Yeah, between the expense of the things and the hassle of finding one that PERFECTLY fits you and your horse, I know people who probably legitimately are more interested in keeping their saddle safe than their car. Car? Insurance policy. Saddle? "OMG DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT TOOK TO FIND ONE THAT FIT JUST SO?"
December 29, 2013 at 8:40pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joy5390
My pet peeve? Decorating for the sense of decorating. I like a well executed room. A room that I can feel comfortable in and that speaks to my senses of "good" design, a room that has grown over time. Anything works well, country, shabby chic, modern, eclectic, etc. as long as the flow of the room makes sense and is useful. Form follows function. With that said, getting over the mid century look and the neutral palette. Design magazines that show mostly these styles are getting sooooo boring!
December 30, 2013 at 1:54am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
DIANE GIBBS
I actually choked when I bust out laughing after reading your first sentence.
December 30, 2013 at 3:18am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
CHRISTINA BUDGELL,
Hawaiian decor does not translate in Hawaii either.
December 30, 2013 at 3:22am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
I know what Christina Budgell is saying; In the middle of Manhattan, on the 110th floor, do you need a saddle Mounted on the wall????????
December 30, 2013 at 3:28am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
bpkteacher
Don't want to offend but the over decorated crosses. I live on the Oklahoma/Texas border in a rural community and they are everywhere! In the bathroom at work there's one decked out in red and zebra print with rhinestones and feathers! Oh and the western theme. I get so tired of walking into people homes and seeing cowboy hats and boots done up in bizarre ways. Redneck chic.
December 30, 2013 at 4:19am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Mark
I can remember helping my Dad years ago putting up "fake beams" on the ceiling and helping my Mom put up wallpaper border and how beautiful we thought it all looked. I would not want to decorate using those items today but I will always remember those times that I spent with my parents and doing those projects and since both parents have passed on I will always have fond memories of wallpaper border and fake beams.
December 30, 2013 at 4:37am     
rredpenn
Ha ha ha! Fake Beams! Sparked a memory here. It was 1986. Our daughter's first birthday party in our first (NEW) house. I was going to put up streamers, and grabbed a hammer and nail to attach stuff to the rustic dark beams in the family room. One swipe with the hammer, and realized the beam was made of STYROFOAM! OMG we laughed so hard... and they came down a week later, easily I might add, along with the popcorn ceiling. That was our first remodeling job ever actually!
December 30, 2013 at 5:09am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
chookchook2
I had the swagged valance, big blowsy roses all over the fabrics. Now I like my roses all over my garden.
December 30, 2013 at 5:17am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
Bpkteacher I agree, those blinged out crosses are the absolute height of tacky. They are all over the place here in Texas.
December 30, 2013 at 5:21am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
chookchook2
I will say that many people would love to replace their lounge furniture etc but can't afford to. Many mums keep and display decor items that their kids made/bought at the school mothers/fathers day stall, because of love for the giver. Also many pensioners can't afford food and medical care much less new paint.
December 30, 2013 at 5:22am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
1980's ivy kitchen wallpaper with ivy borders. When we sat in our breakfast nook it felt like we were trapped in Sleeping Beauty's bower.
December 30, 2013 at 5:45am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
moggiesmom
KmKane, I never liked stainless steel anything! How many have been talked into SUBWAY tiles! I lived in Boston , and I'd like to say anything to do with SUBWAYS is Disqusting!
December 30, 2013 at 6:13am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Jerry Simmons
Floral wallpaper with large flower motifs. The worst. Right up there with ivy wall boarders.
December 30, 2013 at 6:16am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
I grew up in London and I love subways. Lots of fond memories of "Mind the Gap" wish I had one of those signs to go with my subway tile ;-)
December 30, 2013 at 6:19am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
lmk8038
Sponge painted walls - especially when the top color is in contrast to the undercoat.
December 30, 2013 at 6:41am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Diane G.
I know! Let's all go to IKEA, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel, and West Elm ....to go with our gray walls! Not that there's anything wrong with that.
December 30, 2013 at 7:18am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Daybreak Workroom LLC
I love faux work! But it's important to remember that there's good faux work and poor faux work... . Careful study of marble, porphyry, granite, wood reveals complicated color schemes and pattern layering... . Blopping one or two colors of canned paint on a project over the course of a stormy weekend is not likely to result in much success.

I love full, lush, opulently trimmed drapery work, too. But a skimpy copy in crappy fabric can turn anyone off for a lifetime.

Ditto for "curly iron work", stained glass, painted, or ornately trimmed/fringed lampshades. All those things are fabulous and that's precisely the reason they've been copied endlessly and (usually) cheaply or sloppily over the years.

I have laughed and nodded repeatedly reading this, too!
December 30, 2013 at 7:19am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
cindinfocus
Hate wallpaper of any kind in my house. Spent weeks selecting it, only to HATE IT within a week after installation. Would scratch it off with bare fingernails if I had to. Love my neutral dove gray walls with rotating collection of real art, not just my own. Art is the jewelry of the home.
December 30, 2013 at 7:21am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Diane G.
Uh oh...I just bought a great iron and glass coffee table! Speaks to my San Antonio, TX roots. It's in the house w the carpeting and silk tree. Yikes.
December 30, 2013 at 7:35am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
Are throw pillows (two on the sofa, and one on each chair), still in vogue? I am tempted to get rid of all of them. I have none on the bed.
December 30, 2013 at 7:46am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
fancie
I hate seeing beautiful period houses where the owners rip out every interior period detail and turn it into a cold, clanging, barren warehouse! If you want an industrial warehouse look, buy a warehouse!
fancie
Also what's with the bedroom cushions that have beading and sequins all over them? Who in their right mind wants a textured face?
December 30, 2013 at 7:49am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
I got thrown off a site because I complained about the new owners of a 1920 Tudor. They had torn down a beautiful period staircase lovingly carved by the man who built the house and replaced it with a glass/ iron monstrosity that belonged in a loft. If you want minimalist then buy a new house or build it don't destroy a work of art.
December 30, 2013 at 8:13am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
@flowerbill, that is a true travesty.
December 30, 2013 at 8:15am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
okdokegal
Bpkteacher and others; yes, there is a vast swath where big fancy ornate crosses are wall decorations, caked on with various faux turquoise, or feathers, or marbles, or.... A friend here has a collection that goes along her hall wall (about 20' and 4' wide) and all the way around her living/family room (15x18', three sides minus 2 windows and the backer for the freestanding wood stove). And she thinks it's great.

They also sell these huge pleather over rhinestoned monstrosity purses in the most outlandish color schemes with a cow skull (stylized and about 3" high) all done up like... or something like that.

Now a saddle in the living room; if you are where there are such things as working horses and they're needed; a good and properly fitting saddle is worth it's weight in solid gold, and it's no problem being there; it's when one is stuck there just as a decorating thing (especially on a wall hanging mount where it sticks out into the room) is where it's tacky, not tack.
flowerbill
I like to pretend I'm a vampire when I walk past a blinged cross. Cover my eyes, back away, whole 9 yards, try it , It's fun.
December 30, 2013 at 8:20am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
fancie
haven't experienced the blinged crosses here in Australia. Yet. Something to look forward to, no doubt.
December 30, 2013 at 8:26am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
smartin1
I know of a situation with a builder who...well, let's just say, he liked his liquid refreshments. He was doing a remodel of a bathroom that had been tacked on to a home in a haphazard manner. The owner wanted him to tear the bathroom down, so they could rebuild it properly. When the owner got home that day, it was to find the bathroom still standing, but the rest of the home completely demolished. And people kept right on using the builder!
December 30, 2013 at 8:51am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sara Parker
I HATE the current (in the Bahamas) formula of stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and Travertine floors. Also, any creaky laminate wood flooring. Just for starters, none of them is easy to maintain here. In combo, they are boring, boring, boring. Oh, add those huge spa tubs--which probably will be used only once or twice--to my list of hateful trends.
December 30, 2013 at 8:55am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
xavalexa
flowerbill... I recently lived in Mexico for a few years... having a wall with at least 5-10+ "spanish-mexican" crosses seemed the thing to decorate with for expats over a certain income level, not sure why. Different kind of bling?, although admittedly I like some of them. ('Some' is the operative word here, translates to 'a very few' LOL.) I'm thinking I just don't like 'collections' - they always seem overwhelming/omnipresent.
December 30, 2013 at 8:59am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
Xavalexa... I love Mexican talavera and the occasional cross is fine, best of all Mexican folk ones. I have one that's pepto pink with lillies on it, but its hanging in the backyard on an outside wall.
December 30, 2013 at 9:29am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
As a former decorator, I am of the opinion that each person's individual life experience plays very heavily into what they're comfortable with. Admittedly an extreme case, my 90-year-old mother would never be comfortable without her wall-to-wall, overdraped windows or multiple cushions/pillows everywhere. It doesn't look bad, because she has basically good taste, just rather dated. (There are also waayy too many family photos displayed, but with so many generations of offspring, all donating annual updates, what else is possible?)
December 30, 2013 at 9:50am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
xavalexa
flowerbill- me too, in fact I'm putting a talavera sink in my bathroom. I love it but don't want to overdo, actually it's the one thing I could probably OD on. 'Occasional' is also a good operative word too, LOL...
December 30, 2013 at 9:51am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
PirateFoxy
@flowerbill - Oh my god, the poor staircase. All that craftsmanship! Why would you do that to a space? (I mean, if something needs to be removed for safety reasons because it can't be repaired, then if you want to contrast something very modern against the older period work then that can actually work very well, but if you want to rip things out just for looks - no. Why did you even buy the property? You're destroying history.)
December 30, 2013 at 9:57am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
Xavalexa... I did my master bath in Talavera, got it all on eBay straight from Mexico. I have the two fishes bowl. I don't see how you can ever tire of it, heck they've been using it to decorate since medieval times. You can't get more timeless than that.
December 30, 2013 at 10:11am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mmers
I think it's amazing that WE all have such fab taste and obviously the money to remedy any decorating or design errors...... Seriously though, we probably all have something in our homes that isn't 'perfect' either because we can't afford to change it or we perversely love it. And what one person loves, another might hate (I'm thinking 'dusty rose' - had it back in the '80s and think it's cringe worthy now).. And many of us live with someone who might have different ideas of what is fantastic. I'm not curing cancer or creating world peace with what I do in my home. I hope just to love it. (and hopefully my husband will, at the very least, think it's ok).
December 30, 2013 at 10:14am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sara Parker
How about trends we STILL love, like oriental rugs with hardwood floors, eclectic rooms, outdoor rooms, orchids inside, then set free on tropical trees...
December 30, 2013 at 10:18am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Bebong Benoot
fancie: well said :)
December 30, 2013 at 10:19am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
mmers... You should see my other bathroom, It's falling apart. I spent
3 years paying for the Talavera bathroom. That's why I visit houzz, so I can dream and play and maybe have a laugh.
December 30, 2013 at 10:23am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
I think a lot of us lose sight of the purpose for decorating - the creation of an environment that surrounds us with a feeling of comfort and solace. If that involves dusty pink or bling covered crosses, so be it. Maybe the original intent of having a decorator at all was just to keep it from going overboard. (Or maybe I'm being too kind and it was really to impress third cousin Nellie-Belle from three castles away.)
December 30, 2013 at 10:24am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mmers
Flowerbill - I hear you there - I would LOVE to re-do the main bathroom in our home. Our friends tease us that we're always renovating and that's probably true. I'm not finished one project when I'm dreaming of the next.
December 30, 2013 at 11:07am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
gogoellen
What a FUN read! Sooo many memories! Our first couch and love seat- Ethan Allen - dusty rose and slate blue plaid- purchased about 25 years ago. The sofas that refused to die. All 3 of my children have used them over the years. They are currently living in my youngest daughter's apartment covered in dark brown slip covers!
December 30, 2013 at 11:09am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sara Parker
I'm also tired of neutrals everywhere. Very dingey, No wonder Pantel keeps coming up with really bold colours as their picks for the year. Could be we are all overexposed to the "latest" and most tasteful trends.
December 30, 2013 at 11:19am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
xavalexa
Flowerbill, LOL, I am back in Georgia, so I'm trying to 'be reasonable' in my choices and still be in love with it all- which is actually possible since I like a lot of styles anyway and like combining them. Saw a house here in SW colors/design with tile (everything tiled - kitchen walls/floor, bathroom walls/floor, all halls & living room, etc) and it ultimately sold for very VERY little. Someone bought it, did the work of ripping it all out and replacing with neutral "normal" materials (wood, drywall etc), and sold it quickly for over 2X what they paid for it.
December 30, 2013 at 11:23am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
@gogoellen, YES, Ethan Allen furniture was always notoriously hard to kill. I can't tell you how many times I'd go into a home and the homeowner would tell me, "We want a completely new look; I'm so tired of the room; change everything. Oh, but we'll need to work around the Ethan Allen pieces, I can't replace those!"
December 30, 2013 at 11:24am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
smartin1
Can I mention faux-chateau? With it's partially crumbling faux-walls covered in vines?
I think that we've done so much color that aged so quickly, that all the neutral is an over-correction. Since the 80's, it's been country blue, dusty rose, sea foam green and peach...then, we went through the jewel tones of emerald, sapphire, and ruby. For a while, everything was either gold or blue and brown. Kind of like what happened when grunge pushed out glam rock...we were ready for something a little different.
December 30, 2013 at 11:32am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
xavalexa
have to say, I like neutrals - you can jazz up any interior with other stuff and change as desired, even wall paint. That's my personal Live and learn lesson...
December 30, 2013 at 11:42am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
kmkane
@dooenmabest I'm with you! I haven't had curtains since, well ever, and have owned homes since the early 1980s. Last month, I took down my mom's frilly kitchen curtains for the 100th time to wash, bleach and iron. I don't know why they're up, all she has to look at is a beautiful wood lot, birds and wildlife, so why cover the darned windows!!! Curtains just take up so much visual space.
December 30, 2013 at 11:53am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
I was just thinking that trends really do have a way of coming around again. My dad's house always had hardwood floors and still does. When I was a kid, people were like, "Ew, can't you afford carpeting? Why don't you have carpeting?" Now all those people have carpeting and want hardwood floors. Who says irony can't be ironic?
December 30, 2013 at 11:58am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
My living room was painted icecream pink until I painted it craftman white. Really, it was icecream pink, oh and the kitchen floor tile was pink to match. Cost me as much to get that tile taken out as put new in I think. But I loved the house and knew I could eventually get it how I want it. I had to live with that pink for long enough for it to haunt my dreams.
December 30, 2013 at 12:06pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
My family bought a home in 1959 that was painted medium gray with pepto-pink trim. I still can't even look at that combo. Inside, it had knotty pine everywhere - the real boards, not paneling. Kitchen cabinets were also knotty pine, but the previous owner had gotten tired of the look and covered the cabinet doors with contac paper in a pattern of white-painted brick with English ivy trailing down. Needless to say ivy went straight onto my "hex list" (I was 12 - a very impressionable age)
December 30, 2013 at 1:01pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
decoratinglady5
I have to agree..nice reading..brings back memories.
December 30, 2013 at 1:14pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
jimmyjamjar
I am not in love with the current trend of white wooden words that say Love, relax, family, laugh etc.
December 30, 2013 at 1:33pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
halencam
Huge, loosely stuffed, beige or brown leather couches that look like a giant naked mole rat sitting in the middle of your living room! Also, walk in closets (gasp!). They are where forgettable possessions go to die.
December 30, 2013 at 1:58pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
@halencam - "a giant naked mole rat sitting in the middle of your living room" - LMAO!
December 30, 2013 at 2:51pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Becky Blackburn
These are the most entertaining posts that I have ever read :-)...I love them!!
December 30, 2013 at 5:13pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ciscomom
I'm having a hard time with the current sectional trend. Back in the 80s my husband and I bought our first sofa for our first new home. It was Italian leather, pearl white but instead of a 90 degree corner angle, the center section had a 45 degree angle. No coffee table worked with it and it always looked like it should have something behind that weird angle! Maybe a fake plant, or a saddle on a stand; and,yes, I believe I tried both. We got it on sale, marked way down (go figure) and it was so well made, it was indestructible. It got dragged up and down from our basement as I kept trying to make it work. Finally my daughter took it off my hands. She called one day to report her two rescue hounds had accomplished the impossible. They had chewed the leather completely off one of the ends, exposing the innards. She was amazed at my howls of laughter. Thinking about buying a sectional? Better you than me.
December 30, 2013 at 5:48pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
okdokegal
Halencam, I managed to swallow first, then ROFLMAO... love it!

Ciscomom, you just finished me off! Raising a virtual glass to the 'couch that would not die' dying.
December 30, 2013 at 6:04pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
shredder1952
How did all of you people get into my houzz? Sorry to say I've managed to have MOST of the items mentioned in my home(s)!
December 30, 2013 at 6:48pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
smartin1
When my best friend's daughter moved out, she had nothing, so my bestie and I decided to surprise her by furnishing and decorating her apartment from our basements full of old furniture. Her daughter walked in, took one look, then asked, "Did Home Interiors throw up in here?!?!"
December 30, 2013 at 7:07pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
speckledcat
ROFLMAO! And here's the bad part: I know people whose outlandish décor was done by a professional. That said, I plead guilty to at least half the horrors listed here. I predict that in a few years those ridiculous fake animal skulls and antlers some high end decorators keep using will be today's duck decked out in a lace cap and blue bows. Oh wait, maybe they will be the equivalent of the creepy faceless dolls standing in the corner.
December 30, 2013 at 8:36pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Daniel DeSantis Interiors
When I was a kid in the late 70's "macrame" (spelling?) house plant hangers were big...I thought they were the coolest...lol! I remember my mom and aunts actually brading them, though they might not admit that today...:)
December 30, 2013 at 8:42pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
jonathan3
When I was a kid, my grandmother had a home filled with antiques of fine carved wood. I loved to look at the carved leaves and flowers and feel the smooth work that was done. My parents scoffed at her old-fashioned home and filled ours with 1950s modern. It seemed cold and lacked the quality of my grandmother's home. Needless to say, I don't understand the 50s-Modern trend right now. I will stick with my wood furniture in traditional-transitional style that reflects those early experiences with home design. I especially love the drop-leaf table from my husband's family that has been owned over 100 years. It is handmade and very practical when we need extra table space. I enjoyed reading about all the trends that have come and gone--but oh how they sold when they were popular! Trying new color schemes is still nice, and the wrought iron furniture is the only thing that will hold up in the sun in the Southwest. I decorated the patio with old wrought iron furniture--a good value that will last a long time.
December 30, 2013 at 10:17pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
joannpb
Just occurred to me - how did I forget to mention jungle prints - Oh, powers that be, take them into hyperspace and keep them there.
December 30, 2013 at 10:26pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
halleycomet
I am proud to say I have never owned a pink---or any OTHER color--goose. I was bitten by a goose once and altho I don't hate them I shudder at the thought of inviting one INSIDE. Ditto spiders!

I keep "hoping" that the "trend" will come back around of fake "Spanish" tile lino impressed into the materiel in dark brown and ocher; "semi shag" carpeting; "Faux wood" paneling--no this is NOT the fake "wood" look sheets of 4x8 from the home center this is a different animal entirely and we have NEVER seen anything like it--and my husband SELLS paneling!!!---and of course the "all in one bath surround" in some rippled substance never before seen on the planet.

That would BE the house I have got. We are working on REMOVING all of this but----and yes; yes the carpeting IS wall to wall AND it is in a sort of "alvarado green" and a rather distressed orange that I have been able to HIDE under a large attractive rug (Picked up on Big Junk Day thanks very much!)

We DO have a bathroom wall covered in faux wood paneling because the plaster board came DOWN in chinks when I removed the 1977 "Bicentennial" themed WALLPAPER. You know--those cute lil fifes n drums? Tiny depictions of the Declaration? 13 star Betsy Ross flags? That stuff? Worse--it was up there for 11 YEARS before we bought the place!

I guess I AM lucky I have never been "trendy" and missed the pouffy curtains and the country cute--I LIVE in the country and do have actual country things like---a stoneware churn that I keep canes in; small step stools that the grand kids use daily; crocks that hold my kitchen implements---and a rather random amount of old farm and country equipment. Some of this is just to prevent it from being tossed in landfills. I have passed some on to museums.

Missed most of these trends but---we have lynched bunnies at Easter that people hang from their trees. Harley riding blow up Santas at Christmas (some ride John Deeres) . Fake witches smashed into trees at Halloween. Projection decoration---this is supossed to show up on the side of your house like a slide show. Note--it doesn't.

And thats just the OUTSIDE of the houses.

Inside we have all of the things above and fake baskets of kittens--not at MY house you understand but spotted at others---sunburst anything; large expanses of shiny flooring that scare the crap outta me; plastic on lampshades---Well it CAME that way!!!!----those awful ganged together frames with spots for all of your extended family--one is OK but a dozen? Nope! Ivy. and NOT on the OUTSIDE of the house. Fake grapevine ANYTHING.

Might have to get me some o' those Aussie Yard Swans tho--might start a TREND here!!!!!
December 30, 2013 at 10:46pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
merrigay
As others have mentioned, I dislike stainless steel. Why oh why aren't they coming out with alternatives and I don't mean red or turquoise.
December 30, 2013 at 10:46pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
chookchook2
Very well said jonathan3. Including the last bit about wrought iron. In 09 a terrible bushfire came to one street away from us. It was the year before we moved to here. I buy wrought iron garden furniture and accessories because it doesn't add to the fuel load if sparks blow over from a bushfire.
December 30, 2013 at 11:11pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
fancie
chookchook2, I hope this summer is kinder to you.
December 31, 2013 at 12:37am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
chookchook2
Thanks Fancie, Happy New Year!
December 31, 2013 at 3:53am      Thanked by Emily Hurley
thickskin
Bamboo blinds of the '60s, '70s. with designs on them, that hung in the doorways. They also had some made of different coloured plastic that you just walked through.
December 31, 2013 at 4:02am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
judygilpin
Oh, I loved reading the comments (I think) , as so many of the items mentioned, I had forgotten about. I never liked the 1980's mauve/pink color combo, vertical blinds of any color, and the cutesy country style décor with all the bunnies and chicks and faded and dusty straw flower wreaths. JAN MOYER, thanks for coming up with the long lists of "never do again" items.
December 31, 2013 at 4:14am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Judy
Brass bathroom fixtures, brass light fixtures, mirrored closet doors, those "hollywood" bathroom lights, vertical blinds, mini blinds, wallpaper, linoleum flooring (especially if it's pink!), sunk-in bathtubs, low bathroom sinks, super shallow kitchen sinks, glass tub surrounds, wall to wall carpeting. All of these things were in my current 1983 home when I purchased it in 2007 and they are ALL fortunately gone now. I still like dream catchers too, just not out for show, and I have a small wire rooster in my kitchen that I'm very fond of. Most faux painting looks too 80s for my taste, and I hope I never see the color mauve again.
December 31, 2013 at 8:06am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Chris Daugert
What about Water Beds?
December 31, 2013 at 8:25am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
smartin1
Oh, you'll see it again only next time it will be called Pantone Color of the Year Wild Grauve - a delightful mix of gray and mauve perfect for the sophisticated young palate. We'll cover every surface in our homes with it and feel like we are wildly in touch with modern style! :)
December 31, 2013 at 8:28am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Chris Daugert
Thinking about this post it occurred to me that it is all related to the fashions of the time. Think about your wardrobe during all of these transitions. In the 70's of macrame wall hangings and plant holders, what were you wearing? How about body suits, hip hugger jean, chunky shoes? Left over "hippie" trends. Lots of plants everywhere. The 80's with pale colors, lace and crystal. The "Dynasty" years. Jordache jeans with "Candies" heels. I can see where the Stainless steel would fit it with the electronic age.
December 31, 2013 at 8:35am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
flowerbill
I'm not quite sure what this new century has new to offer except a mashup of all that's gone before. I look forward to looking back 20 years from now. Happy new year everyone and thanks for the education I've had a lot of fun.
December 31, 2013 at 8:50am      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Bettie Waddle
Chris, what I'd really like to have again is my '70's body. I know it's somewhere underneath all these pounds. In fact, if I could have it back, I'd wear the body suits, etc.!
December 31, 2013 at 9:15am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
moggiesmom
Chris Daugert, I saved all my clothes from the 1970's including the platform shoes. my 37 yr old son went into the attic, sold them all on eBay, and made over a thousand dollars! I lost all my lovely Mod clothes from the 60's to a flood. The next items he is going to sell is all the mags, from that Era like Time and Mad magazines. My husband says I'm a horder, but who has the Thousand dollars in her hot little hand? LOL
December 31, 2013 at 9:59am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
okdokegal
Looking back at some of the shows of the 60's and 70's especially, the clothing looks outrageous but at the time they were very MUCH the cutting edge of fashion.

However, this is about decorating... houses and living spaces, not our bods. Don't get me started on the last one. (though I got some good stories about making jewelry, going to service my tattoo parlor clients and emptying the places out because I looked like their MOM or worse, a badly undercover NARC not the artist of all the cool hematite and steel jewelry)
December 31, 2013 at 10:28am        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sara Parker
Happy New Year to all my fellow houzz breakers.
December 31, 2013 at 12:23pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sara Parker
Thank you Emily Hurley for thanking almost ALL of us!
December 31, 2013 at 12:26pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
darwinIam
I haven't been here B4, however, next year beginning and the surprises it brings-- will keep me in physically and mentally motion
December 31, 2013 at 12:44pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
ausbengal
just thought of another, aubergine feature walls!!!
December 31, 2013 at 1:01pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Jessica
I got tired of all the harvest gold and avocado greens during the 1970s and agree with the macrame comments above. Would like to add those pictures made from pieces of barn or driftwood with dozens of pins stuck in it and thread wound around them like something a spirograph would draw. I don't care for anything made by gluing dozens of pictures cut out from magazines or thousands of little seashells on it. Then during the 80s the whole dusty rose, peach, mint green thing got way overdone, as did anything neon or zebra print. Did I forget to mention the enormous forks and spoons that used to hang on the wall as if they were mandatory in most dining rooms? My aunt used to tell me they were meant for cannibals to eat people with! LOL! I'm also over the whole brass looking knobs and pulls on cabinets and brass faucets and hardware in the bathroom. The 90s made me really sick of anything faux painted (faux marble, faux wood, sponge painting) and that terrible terra cotta pink color everyone thought made something "Tuscan." I'm afraid I'm starting to see things come round again. I was recently in Pier One because my sister needed something, and they had the place full of those 70s owls and mushrooms in the psychedelic colors.

However, as a blacksmith I must point out that real "Wrought Iron" was only made through the 1800s, after that it was replaced with mild steel which was easier to manufacture and contained fewer inclusions. Blacksmiths pay big money if they can get their hands on the real stuff. The items being referred to in the comments above as "wrought iron" are more likely crummy imitations of things made of aluminum or steel painted black to look like iron. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron for more information. If you know of any old iron bridges being replaced with more modern ones please let the folks at ABANA (Artist Blacksmiths Association of North America) know so someone local can find out if it is wrought iron and should be recycled by those of us who pound metal.
December 31, 2013 at 1:11pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mickisue
I couldn't read ALL the posts…did anyone mention toilet paper and kleenex box covers (that match!) for the bathroom?

My MIL still thinks that baby pink and baby blue are good colors in the bath/bedroom, except at Christmas, when, for the love of Pete, she uses her fancy green and red toilet paper cover.
December 31, 2013 at 1:22pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
karelina
Mickisue: That reminds me. Does anyone remember those crocheted dolls whose skirt covered a roll of toilet paper? Matching the tissue box, of course.
December 31, 2013 at 1:50pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
halleycomet
OMG---how COULD I have forgotten--those AWFUL covers--and the ones with the BARBIE DOLLS were the WORST! LOL!!!!! Not to mention the fakey bed pillows made from dolls and stuffed animals; the odd wall paper with cat tails on it; the BASKET craze---not talking about beautiful hand woven baskets but the fake ones from basket parties etc----have to go out but having a FLASH BACK now!!!!!!\\

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!!
December 31, 2013 at 1:58pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
happyasaclam
Just when I was starting to dig macrame again.......
December 31, 2013 at 2:02pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
appytrails
Ohhhh.. the mention of the crocheted dolls covering toilet paper rolls gave me a pang..but a good pang because it reminded me of my grandma who used to make those and give them as gifts. What a nice memory. Thanks!
December 31, 2013 at 2:05pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mileenawins
What about those mirrors that glued to the wall in big squares and had a picture etched into them?
December 31, 2013 at 2:09pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
beeloved
In the mid 1990's I saw a shade of Hunter Green in a doctor's office that made me feel so wretched I changed doctors. Even now when I think of that colour, I'm don't think I had an over reaction! Love reading these posts, although I'm feeling pretty ancient in light of all the good, bad, and indifferent decor I remember.....
December 31, 2013 at 2:40pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
postmanandy96
my father said the shag carpets in bathrooms.
December 31, 2013 at 3:17pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
jonathan3
Okay, I have wrought steel, not wrought iron. I don't think "wrought steel" is an expression most people would understand. Actually, it is not crummy if it can stand up to Tucson summers. :)
December 31, 2013 at 4:47pm     
design_diva09
I love that dream catcher where could I get one of a different color!!!
December 31, 2013 at 4:52pm     
thedarlingsbecca
feeny: Those ivy wallpapered kitchen walls from the 1980's that you remember, were brought back in the 1950's from probably the 1920's! we gad it at our family summer home in tbe 1850's and it was old then.
December 31, 2013 at 5:17pm     
thedarlingsbecca
Re. ivy wallpaper, I meant "1950's", not "1850's".
December 31, 2013 at 5:19pm   
ginale
Sponge painted walls.....I thought it was cool when I did it 25 years ago. Ugh! BTW...l I still like wrought iron. :)
December 31, 2013 at 5:28pm   
thedarlingsbecca
My grandfather had built in the 1920's a summer cottage. Although I was first there in the late 1940's as a small child, I grew up knowing how people lived with kerosene lamps, screened porches and no a/c, an ice box for refrigeration and a well for the water that was carried into the house in buckets. There was also the stove that burned wood on which bread could be toasted over the open flame when the top lid was lifted. We ate with forks and knives that had designs featuring Mary Pickford and others which had been given to movie-goers in the 1920's or were freebie's from the Chicago World Fair. We had a heavy oak table, oak chairs with pressed back designs in the wood. Our outdoor folding chairs were wooden - very much like what is sold at Pottery Barn today. i am so glad that I had that experience before electricity was added, we built our own cottage and so much changed!
December 31, 2013 at 5:40pm     
okdokegal
miklsue, my mom used to think that Baby Pink was the only color I should be dressed in. Even after I grew up. I look horrid in it, frankly. After I went to college I started handing the sweaters, tops and such right back to her as I wouldn't even take them as I would NEVER wear them. She still bought more. I told her I hated the color, loathed the color. she bought more. I need to point out at the time we were almost exactly the same size too...so handing them back they wouldn't go to waste, she could wear them.

Bathroom décor, there were these swans made of 'cut an outline out of a 2x12' then roughly sand the edges off and hit them lightly with a torch to 'scorch the edges', and the fish with bubbles (painted ceramic) that had to go on the wall with at least 3 bubbles...

Wall plaques of brightly colored fruit to be flocked by dust. Coffee table bowls and table center piece bowls full of plastic fruit.

Oh the urn with the little spigot and the catchbowl underneath, not functional, but you stuck the pieces to the wall and filled the bowl with fake greenery or flowers, and they usually had a pair of candle sconces to go with.

Candle sconces. Majorly overdone.

Everything was pillar candles and plastic (not even silk flower era) greenery.

Someone else mentioned those nail and thread things that looked like spirograph. I was given one as a Christmas present, went to dad's workshop and hammered all the nails myself (only one slightly dubiously 'unstraight' one) then wound it. It got dropped some years later and I actually sat there, untangled it all, and rewound it after plier straightening the bent nails.

Beaded curtains or beads and little bamboo bits, for doorway 'curtains'.

Papasan chairs, especially in TEAL (yes I had one, hubby finally destroyed it, it wasn't meant for his kind of weight).

The pictures with the BIG EYES. You know those, cats, puppies, and waifs. Too much was printed/painted onto a very short nap velvet.

The velvet picture of the dogs playing cards.

The swans that were full of colored liquid and sat on a little mirror and as the air pressure changed the liquid level changed. They were a beast to refill and a mess.

Phones of a bright hue, with 800' curly cords wound so tightly it was a snarled mess? The one in the kitchen was permanently stained and if you did hang the handset to untwirl it it would be wound back up within hours?

The cat clocks with the eyes that moved and the tail that moved?

Shelf sitters.

I still say #1 is the geese with the bow on their necks, whether it be stencil, plaque art, stuffed doll or concrete; in that dusty rose or that one blue!
December 31, 2013 at 5:45pm     
risastacy
I would like to see a discussion on what décor items Houzzers consider timeless and classic.
December 31, 2013 at 5:46pm     
leelee
I'd love to see macrame come back.
December 31, 2013 at 5:48pm     
ginale
I don't like the current trend to paint over wood regardless of its quality. I have seen discussions on this site where people want to paint gorgeous high quality wood just because white is "in". Hang tight.......wood will return stronger and prouder than before!
December 31, 2013 at 5:51pm     
xavalexa
real wood color will, except in small places that are not light filled, LOL. I'm facing that dilemma... and anyway, dark wood reminds me of the 60s-70s, blonde oak of the 1950s and 1980-90s anyway. That said, I'd probably never take a quality piece and paint it. Probably...
December 31, 2013 at 6:15pm   
xavalexa
risastacy- I'd love to see that discussion, too!
December 31, 2013 at 6:26pm   
okdokegal
Risastacy and the others, I did just that, come tell us what's classic and timeless....
Of course pictures are encouraged! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/786377/_msg=Q2hhbmdlcyBzdG9yZWQgc3VjY2Vzc2Z1bGx5Lg/Okay-what-do-we-Houzzers-consider-Timeless-
December 31, 2013 at 6:27pm     
halleycomet
LOL It took me 23 YEARS to get the FAKE wood "paneling" on ONE wall of our house PAINTED OVER. Yes--this actually happened only a MONTH ago!!!! We bought---hubs and I--a pair of Broyhill classic style book cases to flank our flat screen TV. Form Habitat ReStore! Since we then moved the "Entertainment center"--ANOTHER flop as far as decor goes in my book!!!!---we were faced with a half wall of this 1970's fake wood---this stuff looks kinda like some one made a bad mold of heavily insect eaten and rotted wood planks and poured---plastic???-into it and then made it the DARKEST brown they could with BLACK highlights. Yup. Just exactly as ugly as you are picturing! This was hidden behind the entertainment center and the large desk and a smaller book case. But--when we CHANGED this---gave the desk to a kid; gave the book case away---and cut the top off the entertainment center to make a dresser sort of thing--well! Now we could SEE this ugly sucker!!!!! It HAD to GO!!!!!! So----paint to the rescue!!!! After ARGUING this for 23 YEARS!

Paint over the plastic!!!!! Not like I was going to paint over 600 year old linenfold!!!!!

And no we can't get it OFF the wall---it could have been used to hold those tiles on the space shuttle!!!!!

The super shiny fake granite countertops and edging; "country" plaid couches and chairs; hunter green and that odd beige little design--what WAS that design???? It was on EVERYTHING! The little ducks on ties shirts and decor---with the funky odd colored wings--trying to look like--mallards???

And yes---those MIRRORS!!!! No wonder I have a horror of mirrors! My parents bought a house with side by side double sliding MIRRORED DOOR closets--AND a Mylar ceiling!!!! This WAS the 70's after all. And the kitchen---um---it was wallpapered in SHINY FEATHERS---huge feathers. Walls AND ceilings. This was like being in a giant NEST waiting for the bird to come back and eat you. It also had a den with trowled on plaster like stalactites. Walls AND ceiling. And then when I moved out I looked at--and tried to buy!!!!-- a house COVERED in those mirrored tiles--these ones had FERNS in acid GREEN on them---in an Federalist brick house. An OLD brick house. Course the FIRST thing that would have been changed would have been--the mirrored TILES!!!! Protecting the wide board floors from the shards of course!

The fakey and fake "Native American" and other "ethnic" decor---ugh ugh ugh!!!! For someone who was brought up with the REAL thing---this was---distressing!!! And this stuff was---everywhere!

I WISH I had my 70's clothes tho!!!!! Those platform shoes! The bell bottoms! The "ethnic" print shirts and pants and skirts! The skirts made from our worn out pants! The woven ribbon edging we used on the hem of our shrunken jeans! I find this stuff sometimes and sell it on ebay but I had tons of it at the time. Sigh. Fringed leather!

Stenciled furniture with odd designs like---ivy! And little people with strange proportions. And the Big Eyed Kids---and the Stretched Glass Animals! Remember THEM?? Creepy. Anyone else remember the odd creepy LED TREES??? The ones where the light came out the END of the "branches"---and the trunks were made of--duct tape????

This has been a fun trip!!!!!
December 31, 2013 at 8:41pm     
hyperballad
My bangs were out of control, when my valences were puffy!!! This may be going against the grain, but I can't stand microfiber : /
December 31, 2013 at 10:08pm     
mileenawins
Bathroom vanities with seashell shaped sinks with the matching seashell toilet seat lid. In salmon and other atrocious colors. Bonus points for a shower curtain with swimming fish on it.
December 31, 2013 at 10:44pm     
risastacy
I recently purged twenty years of decorating magazines, but first I skimmed through some of them. You do realize that many of the items on the "love to hate" lists were foisted on us by decorators? Okay, maybe not the wooden yard ornaments, but color combinations that would make us nauseous now. Mauve wall-to-wall carpet. Cabbage roses. Seafoam green tile. Puffy valances. Vertical blinds. Decorating is expensive, and most of us don't have the luxury of chasing trends only to start over next year when the trends have moved on. I know we tire of the same thing continuously, but at some point someone should have been held morally responsible for marketing décor that a few years down the road the same people now mock. All I want is accountability. Professional decorating malpractice. Not only am I not allowed to have polyester house plants whose only crime is a permanent shade of garish green, now I am not allowed to have real houseplants? I am suffering from decorating paralysis. No matter what I do, it will eventually be wrong. And this rant has nothing to do with the ceramic goose on top of the cabinet in my laundry room. I had forgotten it was there . Honestly, I swear.
December 31, 2013 at 10:55pm     
2dogssashatess
does anyone remember those long skinny spaghetti jars with maybe sunflowers in them? I think it was the 80s
December 31, 2013 at 11:33pm     
PirateFoxy
@halleycomet - Oh my gosh, you are the first person I've ever encountered to describe what sounds like the nasty NASTY fake wood paneling in one room of my parents' house. It's AWFUL. I have no idea how you'd even begin to paint over it and have it look halfway okay. At least the usual stuff painted over well looks vaguely like some kind of proper wood paneling if you don't look too carefully.

(It's a nice room otherwise, too. 20x20, although limited windows. Could be a very nice family room type space that leads out into the back yard, except with the AWFUL dark paneling it looks so gloomy most of the time. Blech.)
January 1, 2014 at 12:42am     
thickskin
Risastacy------Reading your comment, I thought you were describing the U.S. Government.
January 1, 2014 at 2:41am     
Victoria
@Jan Moyer, if you love the noun "grot" surely you'll love the adjective "grotty" too. I'm so glad that like the words above many of these past trends never crossed the Atlantic. Unfortunately we more than made up for it with hideous trends of our own devising!
January 1, 2014 at 3:07am   
Souvenir Farm, Ltd.
I think the worst for me is any garden plantings done with tires. Even if painted, the smell of used rubber tires still sort of eeks me out.
January 1, 2014 at 3:31am     
mugsy1703
Wallpaper borders. Flower backsplash or bathtub tiles. Dried flower arrangements of any kind. Country decor ... especially cows. Plants and other decor above the kitchen cabinets. Ruffled or balloon curtains. Doilies.
January 1, 2014 at 5:40am     
judygilpin
How about an old toilet used as a planter???? UHG!!! Also, remember in the 50's, bedrooms were painter Robin egg blue, Pepto Bismal pink or dill pickle green. I went to an Estate sale the other day and the house the sale was in still had the bedrooms painted those colors with carpets to match.
January 1, 2014 at 5:57am     
jonathan3
Chrome dinette sets with plastic covered seats that stuck to your legs when you were little. Cold in the winter and sticky in the summer. Ewww...
January 1, 2014 at 8:00am     
apple_pie_order
Slogans on walls. Dusty macrame wall hangings. Dried plants hanging upside down in kitchens for that "country" look. Books put in shelves backwards to show their pages instead of their spines.
January 1, 2014 at 8:17am     
mickisue
I'm already tired of the cute and inspiring words on walls trend. I watch with horror, in another current thread, as person after person; and, yes, many of them pro's, suggest that to the OP.

Gag.

IR: pink. Back in the early 90's, the days of the Southwestern look with aqua/teal and peach, I bought some bath towels that were a pale peach. Never got into the aqua. I was dating my husband at the time. His mom came over for a visit, saw the peach towels and decided that I loved pink, too. Heaven help us, I got pink clothes, pink household garbage and pink everything until she finally realized that I didn't wear the pink clothes (it's actually a good color for me, but not in baby pink) and didn't use the stuff.

I think she fell in love with a monstrous bedspread, covered with cabbage roses, that was from the Ralph Lauren home line, so my poor FIL slept under roses bigger than his head for 5 years. He hated it, but it cost so much he wasn't about to get rid of the thing!
January 1, 2014 at 9:38am     
xavalexa
As has been said well by others up above, choose what you can live with when it comes to the expensive stuff. "Timeless" pieces or at least those that will be more likely to be ok for 20+ years. After a certain age, I think we get to the point we don't care? LOL. "They" (decorators/paint, wallpaper, etc. manufacturers) are and will always come up with something 'new' to foist upon us, how else will they stay in business? I remember back in the 1980s really nice dress suits were made for women - but sales of other clothing went down, plus the suits were made too well. They count on women, who probably drive most of the decor industry as well. (Notice guys' fashion trends have been very much more subtle over time.) So, voila, they started coming up with the trand of 'you don't need to dress in a suit, instead dress in separates.' Most of us tire of the decor/colors we grew up with and want to be different from family, which also helps to drive our wanting to change... and the more available money there is, the more quickly it can change I think...
January 1, 2014 at 11:29am     
okdokegal
micklsue, we must be sisters separated at birth. I didn't think there was anyone else on the planet that loved baby pink that much, as much as my mom, who foisted it on me all she could. I don't look good in pink, period; and she couldn't get enough of burying me with it.

You have my sympathies.

Macramé, I STILL have callous ridges along the outside of my little fingers and hands and the inside along palm and first finger; from rolling jute around my hands and pulling knots for making stuff. The ones so beautiful and so dated, were the floor to ceiling that had a light at the top, a hanging planter pot holder coming from that, and two big panels coming down to an end table flat (usually square or rectangular) then continued to tassel off at the bottom. It would take me a month to knot a pair, and I had rigged a hook in a ceiling joist and added a ring on a rope to pull the work up as I went; I used spacers to get the knot rows even and concrete blocks to stretch them out; my dad would laminate wood to make checkerboard squares to make the tops out of. I will say that when I delivered a pair they MATCHED and were stretched to 'true' and they were LEVEL on that top. Back then those cost $800-1200 a pair and I had $200 in materials... how we used to slave. sigh. Mom never did find the spike holes in her living room; I could put two big nails in and run cord 27' at a time to measure off. (yes I lived at home at that time, and I was making a 'working man's wages' doing the stuff, paid my share of living there too, some months I earned more than he did) And I mentioned those d*mn*d owl towel holders, bamboo or fakey ring at the top and one or two D rings near the bottom to hold the little hand towels. I couldn't make enough of them, they took a half day each and I could make maybe $5 off them so they were losing proposition but I always had one hanging there 'in progress' on the flatwall.

Biggest issues with macramé, is the stuff stretched out, if you bought retail to make your own, it got very expensive; and the stuff so collected dust.
January 1, 2014 at 11:51am     
halleycomet
@PIRATEFOXY---

We finally painted a section of this stuff--it is on ALL the walls of the LR and also a large section juts into the hallway!!!! On one wall it is FLOOR TO CEILING but fortunately I have a LARGE hutch that is against that wall and there is a small closet that is between the hutch and the wall. On the other walls it is "Only" 4' or so HIGH----So mostly covered by furniture but---

We bought a "leather" couch (with two little kids and three dogs one of them aged we were NOT spending for REAL leather--- ) that we thought in a fit of madness would BLEND with the wall---and so the wall would not look sooooo---wellll---ugly!!!!!! Well THAT idea was a bit fat bust! You can't see that much of the paneling but the couch is seriously ugly! LOL! Now about time for a NEW couch AND painting the REST of this bloody paneling!

As far as the actual painting goes---we used BIN as a primer and used a latex on top---since we were only doing the one area right then and we have lighter wall paint above the REST of the paneling we went with a misty sort of light blue/grey from VALSPAR. We were all surprised that it went on so well and COVERED the ugliness. We painted everything including the small molding at the top. Now we don't have the ugly and we don't have the paneling cutting the TV wall in half! I knew that would make me NUTS.

Now I just have to decide if we paint the REST of the room the same color--but that paneling is GOING to be painted!!!!!!!!
January 1, 2014 at 12:02pm     
karelina
I have the same fake wood paneling, not only on the walls, but the ceiling. When I paint (which I will), do I paint them the same color? The ceilings in the rest of the house are off white. Oops! This is past decor. Not the right place, but since you're all talking about it, do you mind?
January 1, 2014 at 12:24pm   
mickisue
Someone talked about painting wood...it depends, just like anything else. I'm in the process of painting all our lovely builder grade red oak millwork, stained golden oak, naturally, from when we built this house. MIL (she of the pink fetish) told me I was crazy to do so.

But, you know, if, 40 years from now, I'm still alive, I won't be here to learn that someone reacted in horror to my having painted that millwork. It's not like its heartwood from virgin white pine from north central MN. It's red oak, grown as a cash crop because it grows quickly. And, as a fan of more clean lined trim, I notice the ornateness fades when everything is the same semi-gloss white.
January 1, 2014 at 12:34pm     
xavalexa
coming around again here & there: Macrame ....1st image is all over pinterest, 2nd image is on http://www.architectureartdesigns.com/20-best-selling-room-dividers-extremely-useful-for-your-home/
January 1, 2014 at 12:53pm   
xavalexa
Mickisue, so true! I wanted to paint what I called the "black hole"in our living room (1970sorangey-dk brown brick with black mortar fireplace wall that went to cathedral height) for 15 yrs before I finally said to he** with it and painted it when my DH went out of town! -He and his friends were against it, because "you NEVER brick!" & Yes, I did it sort of 'faux' in that I drybrushed over the black mortar, and daubed with several light colors over the brick, but it looked great. He and ALL his friends thought we'd rebricked or something else LOL, got nothing but compliments.
January 1, 2014 at 1:02pm     
judygilpin
Paint over brick or wood if you like. It always makes a room look brighter and cleaner. Like mickisue said......let someone 40 years from now worry about it.
January 1, 2014 at 2:09pm     
pickyvicky
Eghads! I inherited a harvest gold, 70's dishwasher in the house we bought 15 years ago. Imagine my horror when I discovered that the beautiful paint color we were painting our hall area was the EXACT same color as that darned dishwasher!
January 1, 2014 at 3:44pm     
halleycomet
@MICKISUE---Yes the oak they use is grown like corn down South. And harvested much the same way!!!! So this is basically a cloned cash crop and trash trees.

Now I am a total tree LOVER and HUGGER but this stuff---not so much! I feel worse for the forests that were clear cut to plant this trash. And I have seen them and they scare me. We have stands of sugar maple and this is harvested as the useful life of the tree is finite---not just for sap production but otherwise the heart wood rots and the tree falls over. I see this ALL the time with trees planted in peoples yards 100 years ago or in woods not managed well. And a well managed wood is a joy--there is PLENTY of brush for deer (of which we have way TOO many!!!!) and other small animals and young seedlings growing and fall leaves composting---and yes in the spring the trees are tapped. If they HAD no economic value---well we could have clear cut land like there used to be both here and in the Appalachians---horrifying. And altho I sometimes cringe when I see huge trees go by on trucks I know that this is in some ways deceptive--these are not always old trees!

@KARELINA---

I cannot begin to IMAGINE this stuff on the CEILING! I wouldn't care WHAT color it was painted as long as I did NOT have to see the chocolate--and NOT in a good chocolaty way!!!!---color! And the awful texture! And the light sucking power of this stuff! Ugh! If it is anything like mine it might well be adhered like this stuff is---glued to what might be the same trashy plasterboard (seconds!!!!) that the rest of the house is built with! And when ever we try and do anything to that plaster board it just---shreds. And NO I am not going to re-rock the WHOLE HOUSE!!!!

WE have awful textured ceilings and they grab whatever light the fake wood paneling left behind--which is not much!
January 1, 2014 at 3:54pm     
PirateFoxy
Hah! I'm quoting all of you when the topic of painting the pine paneling in the living room comes up. (Again.) There's just a bit on the stairs and it would actually look pretty nice if it was painted white/off-white trim color because it's got a nice shape, but right now it's that awful knotty varnished pine yellow-orange and it doesn't go with the house at ALL.

(House is an American Foursquare built in the 1930s and it looks an awful lot like the front door and window trim in the living room/entry area - someone opened the wall up between the two - is original. So that's a very simple painted blend of probably Victorian and Craftsman with possibly a touch of Art Deco, and then there's this WALL O PINE. It does not compliment ANYTHING.)
January 1, 2014 at 4:39pm     
pagepanther
I know it's back in, but I hate orange even more now than I did when it was big in the '70s and will not have it in my home.
January 2, 2014 at 5:22pm     
raineycarole
I'm with you, page.
January 2, 2014 at 5:25pm     
2dogssashatess
I love orange in small doses. I have orange cushions and just love them:)
January 2, 2014 at 6:53pm     
kaye1
Growing up we had ceramic fruits and vegetables hanging in the kitchen ughhh
January 3, 2014 at 4:44pm     
Has anyone mentioned Kitchen Witches yet?
January 3, 2014 at 5:16pm     
Comforts of Home
1, Faux ivy vines on top of cabinets, hutches and shelves...it makes me itch. It's usually dusty and laced with tiny spider webs.
2. Two toned walls...mustard on top and brick red on bottom with an oak chair rail or worst a wallpaper boarder.
3. Mini blinds...hate them more in matching colors.
4. Big, rustic, dark pine water beds with drawers.
5. Black pleather sofa, chair or anything else.
I won't have used them back in the day either...some of us do have decorating morals;>)
January 4, 2014 at 4:37pm     
Chris Daugert
Ah-yes, Water Beds!
January 4, 2014 at 5:15pm     
Sarah Gwinnup
These ugly style pot lights that look like eye balls can go away!!
January 4, 2014 at 6:14pm     
mmers
My husband said he owned a bean bag 'chair' back in the day. Why????
January 4, 2014 at 6:30pm     
flowerbill
I HATE pot lights, yet every site on HOUZZ raves about them saying how much light they give. I'm lucky, my kitchen has lots of windows but all the same I would like to see the design whiz kids come up with a prettier solution.
January 5, 2014 at 3:43am   
flowerbill
My parents had bean bags that they would pull out when they had friends over. My brother and I unzipped one to see what kind of beans were in there, imagine our disappointment to find Styrofoam that escaped in large puffs.. Needless to say the punishment was removing the snow storm from the spare room.
January 5, 2014 at 3:50am     
jonathan3
I cannot decide about pot lights. It seems that all that light shining down from the ceiling casts a very unflattering light and shadows on people. I love them when they look nice in a room and illuminate dark areas of a home.
January 5, 2014 at 5:27am     
xavalexa
I like the recessed lights (however, not track, I will say). Maybe the secret is to have the 'pot lights' or cans/track lights to just illuminate dark corners/bookcases.... We had a very large great room with walls of windows on 2 sides- well, windows don't help at night LOL. We had them aimed however - Nothing like them to see what was in the bookcase, or to highlight the mantel. Before that, it was all in shadows. Lamps were used otherwise and gave a friendly light to everyone.
January 5, 2014 at 9:06am     
halleycomet
The ONE time I WISH I had a can or pot light!!!!! I have a very dim old fashioned recessed fixture over my kitchen sink that is made MUCH dimmer by having to use the CFL's. UGH!!!! So when I saw a fixture that CONVERTS your can into a PENDENT---I was in LOVE!!! And at a great price too---only to be reminded that I don't indeed HAVE the needed fixture to screw this into. Sigh. But in general I hate cans AND track lights. Remember THEM?
January 5, 2014 at 9:46am     
risastacy
I know an eyeball recessed can is not a terribly attractive object, but in a large room with the light aimed at the walls, over the fireplace mantle, and illuminating bookcases and corners it makes effective lighting when table and floor lamps alone aren't enough. However, sitting under a can light with the light focused directly downward reminds me of interrogation rooms depicted in crime movies.......if I am unfortunate enough to be seated under one, it makes me want to confess quickly so I can leave!
January 5, 2014 at 12:30pm     
okdokegal
Now now, on waterbeds. The old ones without baffles were rather sloshy and needed burping or the noise would deafen you... but there were *some* things you could do on a waterbed that were GREAT, just had to time stuff right... (heheheh) The dark stain was to hide the cheap third rate wood the frame was built out of.

I will stand up for beanbag chairs. I was given a pumpkin orange vinyl one in the mid 70's. My folks had an antique sorta bed that was high feet (it was meant to have a brazier of coals stuck under it to warm it), and on my back in the beanbag my legs stuck straight up, knees folded perfectly to be on the bed mattress... and this was actually bliss to nap. Sleep more than three hours you regretted it but an hour or two it was wonderful. After I married we actually bought a box of replacement styroshred as it had well mashed over the years and renewed it. It died about age 12, the zipper gave way at the sewing. Of course we were still broke college students and décor and style wasn't as important as 'it's a chair or a couch and we own it and it's useable'...
January 6, 2014 at 5:37pm     
darwinIam
In the lumber biz, the 6/4" x 12" pinelumber market went crazy in the 70's and 80's because of all the waterbed-frame demand...slosh, slosh for real!! I still have a bed-frame, however no water bed for me.
January 7, 2014 at 5:54am   
karelina
I admit it. I loved my waterbed! Warm and squishy. I even liked the sloshy noise. I have cats, so probably no waterbed for me - well, us. Since we all sleep in my bed.
January 7, 2014 at 1:46pm   
Diane G.
Our townhouse had lots of carpeting on the 2nd and 3rd floors and on the many stairs, when we bought it...don't love it but it certainly serves a purpose...
And, to further assault your decorative instincts, mini-blinds were sandwiched in the 15 tall windows and dormers that are upstairs...totally functional...I'm over disliking them.
Oh, and I recently bought a handsome black iron table w beveled glass top that I love! Best stay away from this hellhole.
April 11, 2014 at 8:02pm     
adivra
Fake flower arrangements. I shudder every time I go into a home decor store of the DIY variety.
April 11, 2014 at 9:14pm     
mmers
When our basement was flooded, I thought it was the perfect time to get rid of the wood panelling in the family room. Apparently it wasn't the perfect time for my husband as he insisted we have it replaced. It was covered by insurance so we didn't have to pay out of pocket. I really don't like it and suggested we paint it. No, that wasn't a good idea either (to him). Nothing says late 60s, early 70s like that panelling.
April 11, 2014 at 9:49pm     
Barnhart Gallery
Oh no Emily. We do not mention kitchen witches.
April 11, 2014 at 10:14pm     
glass block
How to install glass block
Trying to decide between copper & porcelain sink for kitchen
Want to know what the maintenance is like for a copper...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Please help with choosing molding and baseboard sizes!
Hello Houzzers! We have 8 ft ceilings in our family...
Laundry Room Paint Disaster!
Just for your entertainment. So, I am getting antsy...