A Natural Christmas
dstemple1956
I'm planning on doing more natural instead of a blingy Christmas decor next year. What simple ideas do fellow Houzzers have? I don't want country, rather understated simplicity.
reginafalange
I used a lot of live greens this year rather than artificial, miniature poinsettias in white ceramic pots, and driftwood trees and a driftwood stable for the Nativity.
December 27, 2013 at 4:41PM     
hayleydaniels
If you use live trees, keep them very wet lest you have a fire. My husband is a firefighter, and you wouldn't believe the number of house fires they have this time of the year caused by Christmas trees.
December 27, 2013 at 4:56PM     
I save dried hydrangeas and pop them in between the branches of the tree. I also collect interesting seed heads as well. However, I have to confess they are much more effective against a white artificial tree than a natural green one. The lights really embellish them.
December 27, 2013 at 5:22PM     
m3459
I have a white artificial tree that I decorated with grapevine wreaths, HUGE pine cones, dried hydrangeas, burlap roses, white pearl balls and brown glitter tulle this year. Can't count the number of compliments I got. My friends wanted me to raffle it off to them!! It was rustic and elegant all at the same time. I was very pleased and amazed at the results.
December 27, 2013 at 6:21PM        Thanked by dstemple1956
okdokegal
I am growing my own Norfolk pines; seedlings are currently 4-5" tall. They will stay potted and the best one or two will be tricked out with tiny light weight decorations next year, and at least I hope will stay around to become my living tree to preside over the presents.

Victorian style ornaments and garlands are easy to make if you are a craftsy or sewing person, those can be made throughout the year and collected, then go happy when the season arrives. There are many things you can do with hot glue guns, old trim and lace, glitter and spraypaint, and ribbons. It's also a great way to recycle stuff....
December 27, 2013 at 6:30PM        Thanked by dstemple1956
dstemple1956
m3459 would you share a picture? I'm going natural next year and would love some inspiration.
December 27, 2013 at 6:30PM     
chookchook2
If you are doing sustainability, make sure you donate your old bling to a charity that can sell it, or reuse it.
December 27, 2013 at 6:47PM     
dstemple1956
chookchook2 - I have two looks. One is traditional and the other is non-traditional bling. I'm keeping the bling but giving my mother the traditional decorations. I'm heavy into re-purposing and recycling. Glad to hear someone else is into being environmentally responsible!
December 27, 2013 at 7:04PM     
chookchook2
Hmm it's new, being called responsible, I think I like it!
December 27, 2013 at 7:07PM     
okdokegal
Careful Chooky, we need our chookchook2 just as she is...

A homemade Christmas doesn't have to be a homespun or a cheapy chic Christmas. Just remember to be safe; and consider... do you have pets or small children that can get into the stuff?
December 27, 2013 at 7:36PM   
rredpenn
I went understated and simplistic a few years ago by using plain brown bags and wrapping paper (so that it can be used for any-time-of-year gifts)... and I like the reusable fat yarns and ribbons that have the wires in the sides for pretty bows. I thought our gift pile looked very nice that way! Nothing shiny or garish or unmatching, and all sturdy enough to use again. The only thing I replaced this year was the tissue in the bags.
December 27, 2013 at 7:55PM   
Christmas trees: Flocked or Natural?
Do you prefer flocked trees or natural trees? VOTE...
Oh Christmas Tree....Oh Christmas Tree......
Post some of your favorite Christmas Ideas!
How do you dispose of your Christmas tree?
Whether you have already taken the tree out or are...
Flame colored countertops...
I'm having a hard time finding anyone else in the world...
4" recessed lights
Looking for some help on the lights we installed. ...
Paint color for old kitchen cabinets to be used in framing studio?
In the next couple weeks I am going to start staining...
Do lamps go w bedroom set
Hi would these lamps match old Fashioned cherry wood...