Need help...diy new home construction...dining room delima
tlogsdon
Originally I planned on having the formal dining room in an open area next to the entry, but then my father gave us a beautiful set of custom double entry doors, which may make the area to narrow for a nice size dining table...the entry area is 16' wide x 15' deep but the doors are 37" x 2 plus the frame so we are figuring about 81" total taken out for the door area, which leaves a little over 9' for the dining room width...seems to narrow to me??? What are your thoughts? The entry steps into a nice size 20' x 20' living room so I may can arrange that area to hold living room furniture and dining table, and just make the entry way more open, Any thoughts??? I am attaching a rough picture so you can make more sense of the dilemma. Thank you for any help!
Brothers Custom Works
Do the center hinging double doors at the bottom of the drawing represent your dad's DBL door gift? Are they "pre-hung" in a jamb and center hinged? Are the 3 squares around the Dining table columns and as built, or part of design ideas? Are the columns required for structural support of the above? What is the object shown against the wall to the right of the dining table?
0 Likes   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 27, 2013 at 6:16PM
HI -- I think you there is not enough room for the double doors . Maybe it could be made to look like double doors from the out side but just the one door works to enter. Not too sure your furniture arrangement is right according to the plan shown .
1 Like   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 27, 2013 at 6:23PM
Brothers Custom Works
To explain the questions, I am putting this on our CAD program: Are these Exterior doors with the exterior being at the bottom of the page? Where do the double doors to the left of the subject doors lead? Do you have a true 16' between the left and right wall? Are the windows as shown in the bottom wall "as built" ? If the columns exist, what size are they?

lefty47 expressed an idea that I had, but wanted to check other conditions and demonstrate ideas via CAD screenshot post.
0 Likes   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 27, 2013 at 6:33PM
tlogsdon
Okay let me see if I can answer all questions (first this is a rough drawing, with just layout ideas) 1.the columns are just an idea I had for possible separation of the dining room 2. the doors to the left lead to a game room, I am not sure if that will be doors or just a walk way so they don't effect the layout 3. Yes they are exterior doors, yes the exterior is at the bottom of the page 4. yes there is true 16' of space that's the interior dimensions 5. the doors are just normal double doors hinged on the outside (I did not do a good job on the fast drawing showing that just messing with size) 6. As far as structural support, the house is metal frame and almost completely free span so I really have free range of how to set up the area, we are just in the planning stages ....I am attaching a blank plan so it won't be as confusing, thank you for all your help, sorry it's so confusing I should have just drawn the area out instead of attaching my idea layout.
0 Likes   December 27, 2013 at 9:19PM
tlogsdon
This is almost what our doors look like
2 Likes   December 27, 2013 at 9:26PM
Brothers Custom Works
Sorry - forgot that this is new construction.

We have a design -build home we did in 2008, with Homeowner wanting similar layout of DR and Entry. I will get back to you when I have looked up the files - maybe some pics.

The 1/2 bath is different from the first plan.
0 Likes   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 27, 2013 at 9:40PM
tlogsdon
Okay hopefully I have some of the door issues fixed, I am so sorry I was so confusing on the first one!
0 Likes   December 27, 2013 at 9:44PM
tlogsdon
Thank you!!!
0 Likes   December 27, 2013 at 9:45PM
sbrustein
I agree that a double door shouldn't dictate the way a room needs to be designed. If you must have this set of doors keep one permanently closed.
0 Likes   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 28, 2013 at 12:06PM
Brothers Custom Works
Being a new plan - new build - not knowing all factors - not having the whole floor plan - I took some liberties. Both doors are operable in this case. I added very simple renderings. I increased the 16' width inside the walls to 17', and pushed the entry doors out 3' to create more of a defined Foyer (feeling).

The Powder Room (Guest 1/2 Bath shown) is an element we always to protect - privatize as possible - with entry to Powder away from areas where guest may congregate. In the case of the floor plan submitted, we would also provide sound insulation in the walls of the Powder.

In similar circumstances for a custom home design - build, the HO and I discussed and decided to omit columns.....see pic.
1 Like   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 30, 2013 at 9:47AM
Sustainable Dwellings
You may need an Archetect's pro advice here.
1 Like   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 30, 2013 at 9:51AM
Brothers Custom Works
In the absence - omission of space defining columns in an open concept plan, we sometimes define spaces with step ceilings. These often defining the spaces while being more flexible in use of the space as compared to columns.

Dining Room - Family Room - Master Bedroom and Bath - Media Room are all places we have used step ceilings - being square - rectangular - round - elliptical ends (2 - large Foyer - see pic) .

They often have enhanced trim packages and rope lighting hidden behind the crown at the bottom level. The lighting is romantic in a bedroom - conducive to movie watching in a Family Room or Media Room - soft and unobtrusive in a candle lite formal Dining Area.
2 Likes   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 30, 2013 at 12:12PM
architectrunnerguy
No comment on the door but I agree with BCW that one should get the powder room door off of a private space. Nothing worse then hearing the powder room sounds from a kitchen or coming out an one feels like they're walking on stage.
1 Like   Thanked by tlogsdon    December 30, 2013 at 12:46PM
tlogsdon
BCW, first let me say THANK YOU...you are awesome, and have been such great help, we are doing all of this on our own, my husband and I are both teachers and my Dad is doing the building, we can't afford an architect and we have done our own plans. You have helped tremendously and the 3d renderings are terrific help! Wish I could afford to do my entire house on a 3d rendering like you did the front, I think it would help work out other small issues. We have done a physical 3-d model which has helped a lot, but I don't have a computer program that does a good 3d version of our plan. Again thanks a bunch!! I will bother you again I am sure with more questions!!
1 Like   December 30, 2013 at 8:24PM
Split Living & Dining room into 3 rooms? New home construction help
See the first image below for original plan - it has...
rajetta
lovemuvel
Need Help with our new home design - Dining Room Hallway Dilemma
We are building a new home and our design includes...
Galia Messika Greenberg
Placement of dining room light in new construction home
My delima is the placement of our dining room light...
awp5722
Need help decorating around old couches in new construction Home!
Hi! We are currently building a house and was planning...
acschaaf
Bar height or Counter height home bar?
We're remodeling our great room into a game room with...
Jennifer Wood
Brand new painted cabinets chipping on edges.
We did custom painted cabinets shaker sale cabinets...
fanofmyfam
Struggling to find a "family" of ceiling lights
Our foyer has three ceiling light fixtures. The first...
Eugene Lee
Something is missing. Help!
i need help living room look too plain. everything...
Daniel Montel
Where to put all our kitchen items
Hi all. We are in the last steps of our kitchen redesign...
Laura Pasek