Small entry way living room
Daniela B
I would really like some suggestions
Dar Eckert
What are you asking for comments on?
December 28, 2013 at 2:50pm     
Daniela B
I want to create a living space that is near the entry and window area. I need to have a walk space so there is not much space. So, if anyone has any ideas for colour of drapes and furniture, and layout.
December 28, 2013 at 3:01pm   
Daniela B
This is the current state of the area
December 28, 2013 at 3:05pm   
Fit a sofa under the window and two small armchairs facing it, all on an area rug.
December 28, 2013 at 4:23pm     
rachealy
I would make that the dining room instead because it would make for a beautiful grand entrance! [houzz=
]
I don't like the style in the picture I provided but I do like how the layout is similar to your homes entrance!
December 28, 2013 at 4:35pm      Thanked by Daniela B
Daniela B
Its a good idea, but I have a dinning area on the opposite side
December 28, 2013 at 4:46pm   
handymam
I think that space is crying out for a window seat! Can anyone else hear it? :)
December 28, 2013 at 4:54pm        Thanked by Daniela B
rachealy
Den I found this design
High Park Home

It would definitely take me awhile to figure out the best way to set up that room!
December 28, 2013 at 5:06pm        Thanked by Daniela B
smartin1
Is this your primary seating area for the home or a smaller area?
December 28, 2013 at 5:45pm   
Daniela B
It is a smaller one
December 28, 2013 at 8:00pm   
HI -- Full drapes on the whole window wall perhaps in a white or off white semi sheer . Then place a long low console cabinet or a 5 to 6 ft. long upholstered bench in front of the windows. Don't build in a window seat because that limits your room arrangements and will make the room appear even smaller. .Then have a smaller 3 seat sofa backed to the wall and one accent chair near the end . Small side tables and tall slender table lamps . Art work over sofa . All set on an area rug and a glass and metal coffee table . For a smaller room do not have furniture with big rolled arms -- do more square and tailored styles . For the accent chair have one that has open arms (arm chair). Also exposed legs on the furniture pieces will keep the look lighter.
December 28, 2013 at 8:21pm     
karemore55
It is a narrow space but also quite long. Is your dining room at the other end of this long,space?

Also, since it isn't your main living area, how do you see yourself using this room? Would it maybe be a quiet getaway space for reading and relaxing? Would you entertain here? How many people would be sitting in this space, maximum?

My inclination would be to have a sofa on the long wall, with two club chairs across from it, and angled toward it.

As for colors, etc. maybe you could give some idea of your color and style preferences.
December 28, 2013 at 8:27pm     
Daniela - what about a loveseat with a console table behind it set with its back to the front door. The console table could have two matching lamps set at each end and a tall sculptural element in between, so it sort of divides the room into "entry" and "sitting" areas . . . . then you have a place for "lay down" when you come in, but you can walk on either side into the "conversation area"

You might use a tall storage piece (even a craigslist armoire find - lots of old media armoires for sale these days) painted in an accent color or black on the wall on the right in the entry, to place backpacks, purses, dog leashes/ stage packages that need to come in and go out.

Then, in the seating grouping, use two chairs angled in over on the window wall with a small open end table between them. Try a neat floor lamp in the far corner between the armchair and the window. I think you want the windows to be your focal point, so drapery is important - looks like you have some roman / accordian shades drawn in this photo - I recommend a really beautiful fabric / trellis / print drapery that can mostly hang on both ends and between the window groupings . . . so be careful where you place your rod supports. Given the bulkhead, I might drapery across under the transom windows - probably a better standard size. Definitely anchor this grouping with a thick area rug, center a coffee table in front of the loveseat, and try a large piece of art centered on the coffee table up on the end /long / right (above) wall in between.

You don't need more than 8-10' in the "entry" area from the front door to the back of the loveseat / console since you have the room width but you do need to have room to walk into the next room past the "dividers" that come in - at least 5' diagonal from the post edge to the corner of the console table. If you have space in the entry, looking to the left from the door, a mirror over a bench or ottoman would be very practical.
December 28, 2013 at 9:11pm   
syncope
You mentioned that there is a dining space opposite this one. Do you have drapes in that area? If so, I think I might want to duplicate that treatment. I usually don't suggest absolute symmetry but since this appears to the be the front of the house, it seems to call for it.

As to layout, I would probably keep it fairly simple. Two comfortable chairs with ottomans (if space permits) angled in the corners and a nice console between them. An appropriately sized area rug and done for the window area of the room.

How much space to you have past your doorway that needs to be addressed and could you post a picture facing away from the window to help better advise on that area? Also, it's a bit difficult to tell the actual color of the walls. Do you know the name or could you give a description of it?
December 28, 2013 at 10:33pm   
Daniela B
The colour on the walls is a creme colour. On the opposite side of the room there is a light brown dinning buffet, brown chairs with a gold pattern for the fabric and table.
December 29, 2013 at 7:04am   
syncope
Ohhh...I thought you meant the dining area was across the foyer from the seating area you wanted. What is on the other side of the foyer?
December 29, 2013 at 7:16am   
Why don't you re-photo and post once the tree is out? I think a simple reupholstering of the dining chairs and adding pillows in the living area that pick up the same color will work for you. Looks like the TV room has issues with furniture overhanging the door way too. Maybe we can help you there too.
December 29, 2013 at 7:37am      Thanked by Daniela B
Daniela B
I did take a picture. It is at the beginning of the post. I am just waiting a few more days to take out the xmas tree. The cream chairs are not going to stay in this room
December 29, 2013 at 8:10am     
Rugsville
You can put an area rug in entry way.
December 29, 2013 at 9:43pm     
Dar Eckert
It looks like sectional would be nice in your space. I think an L with one leg along the windows and the other along the wall. Then your cream chairs near the past by the door ante the other facing the windows.

Another option is to have a sofa facing the windows and one chair on either side of the sofa.
December 30, 2013 at 11:18am      Thanked by Daniela B
Daniela - I assumed you were standing at the front door in the photo you took. Now that I look at the dining room area photo I realize that is the other end of this "room" and that you walk through here to get to the great room area. Your entry is (the light) on the other side of the columns. So . . . I think you have two choices and it just depends on what the best one for you is. The china cabinet really needs to appear "centered" in the opening left by the columns - I'm assuming that is where you have it now. I might cheat it a bit towards the dining table - with the angle that most people see and pass it, you can probably shift it 6" and no one will notice . . . balancing art will help on the left side too . ..

A loveseat size sofa in front of the windows and two smaller scale chairs angled towards it so you can walk into the grouping from the center by the china cabinet should work well. Again, the way to have this room be great is about drapery as they will focusing on the pretty window and give you an opportunity to express your color and style. I see gold on the walls . . [great with red, greens of most types, straight blues / navy, russet].

You are going to want to use the same drapery at the window in the dining area and a wider rod again. Start with a wowsa drapery fabric - I see dark brown in your woods and in the leather in the adjacent room. Red is wonderful with chocolate and cream / white, and so is a russet / red-orange / pumpkin tone. Green is a neutral that goes with all - or could be the bright you want to see here . . .
Find a fabric you love with a large drapery pattern and make simple panels the width of the fabric - four for the front window, two for the side. Back tabs give you a perfect drape and are simple if you sew . . or buy drapery after you decide on your color scheme. RH has good rods that can be linked for long widths - watch for their annual drapery / hardware sale (Feb?).

I pulled some fabrics that have color and pattern to give you an idea of how the room can become instantly "together" with drapery in totally different ways - see this http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&productID=8751&pStart=0&recNum=1
with neutral oatmeal / cocoa tweed upholstery and russet pillow accents / glass in the hutch.

See this instead http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=17&productID=8184&pStart=0&recNum=22
with your existing cream chairs . . .something red in the hutch and possibly a navy velvet loveseat for a completely different look. (Ikea has ektorp in navy velvet slipcovers these days. . . )

See http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=23&productID=9094&pStart=0&recNum=50
more contemporary, but instant color palette with the rust, red, gold, greens and teal blues. - not as impactful, so if the new furnishings are basics, this feels like it will still feel very quiet . . but tasteful and fresh. You could do a rug with lots of green and

Since you will want to stick with neutral upholstery, the other fun fabric place is to recover the chairs - pick your drapery fabric first - then come back and we'll find a smaller pattern for chairs -- thing about drapery is that you can always change it / pull it down - so you can afford to be bold here. It is permanent upholstery - like the loveseat and chairs where it is nice to be careful.
December 30, 2013 at 1:05pm        Thanked by Daniela B
Daniela B
Does anyone have any ideas for sofa choices for colours and armchairs. Also, even drapes?
December 30, 2013 at 3:03pm   
syncope
I would suggest that, if you love the colors in the picture in the dining room, you pull the colors from there since that appears to be your only "non-neutral" piece that can be seen from the photos you uploaded. If that doesn't appeal to you, then give us some feedback on the colors you love to have around.
December 30, 2013 at 3:08pm   
Daniela B
I agree about the colours in the picture. So, any ideas or pictures?
December 31, 2013 at 11:03am   
syncope
How bout this arrangement from your ideabook but using the blue instead of the yellow?

December 31, 2013 at 11:06am   
Sorry, your art is too charcoal . . . Do you want gray and cream then you still need color and the only color tone in the art is gold . . so what about a charming linen with a large print like this . . . add gold, perhaps a bit of red in the china cabinet . http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&productID=8909&pStart=0&recNum=1
get a swatch - it has a big repeat . . . lots of gray AND brown to pick up the wood tones . . fresh suzani floral on parchment background so should work well with walls as is . . .art .
January 1, 2014 at 9:59pm      Thanked by Daniela B
soto01
Hi Daniela B! I think a sofa along the long bare wall with a huge painting or even a grouping of several pictures over the sofa to fill in the wall space. I would place one small scale chair in front of the window and one at the other end of the sofa facing the window wall. Or you could leave the window wall blank and place two small chairs at the other end of the sofa facing the window wall. A nice area rug to match or coordinate with a long runner in the entry way and you're set. It will still look very open, while filling up the empty space.
February 4, 2014 at 7:57am   
soto01
Forgot the coffee table. I would do a metal with glass top to keep the look open.
February 4, 2014 at 7:58am   
Need help with my living room and entry way
We just moved in to a new home in TX and I'm trying...
Arch entry way from living room to kitchen
Hello, I have a arch entry way that I would like...
Entry way tile color & living room design
We need to pick out tile and design pattern for the...
Help me!!entry way and living room!
It's just plain boring..the suggestion u give plz be...
Kitchen Island Decor
I have a large island in my kitchen and am struggling...
Fair Fee Structure?
We are looking at hiring an Interior Designer and narrowing...
Entryway help! Rug? No Rug?
I have an L-shaped entryway and I can't decide whether...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
Shower curtain
How to hang a shower curtain over a tub?