How can I possibly update this house?
Lori B
We bought this house in September and have been remodeling the interior as well as chopping down the jungle they called a Yard. In the spring, we want to paint the exerior, but I would also like to update the way it Looks. We can't Change the Roof. It is a red tile and the eaves are a dark Brown. The Apartment yellow/beige and blue trim have to go. The giant planters attached to the house have to stay, but thoughts on what I can do to update them would be fantastic. I hope to do the landscaping in the spring too. My personal style is modern and mid-century modern. We bought this house (which I thought was really ugly) because it was the best possible deal we could find.
This soft green with white would be a nice color for you.

December 28, 2013 at 4:18pm        Thanked by Lori B
reba120
Pull down the fence, When you decide what color(s) to paint, maybe use the trim color on the "planter." Then take stock and decide what should be next.
December 28, 2013 at 4:21pm        Thanked by Lori B
genn1985
Your house is actually really nice and love the character I like the color that is already there just revamp it with a fresh coat and change the blue windows to a cream or white. The ex the person posted earlier
December 28, 2013 at 4:24pm        Thanked by Lori B
handymam
Wow, I love your house!

The first thing you need to do is power wash that concrete looking band above the garage--is that the planter you mentioned? You could also power wash the fence until you can replace it.

I like the green that deco posted with the white.

But another option...Maybe a putty color for the body of the house would be nice with a burnt sienna for the trim and rails and doors. It would coordinate with the roof a carry the color down to street level.
December 28, 2013 at 4:42pm        Thanked by Lori B
I think this house is pretty cool. It would look good in a tan or cream, and you should consider going bold on the windows.
December 28, 2013 at 5:37pm        Thanked by Lori B
mileenawins
This house is awesome. It screams of character! I would love to see pics of the inside reno, Not crazy about the blue trim though. The planter is great but yes, it needs to be power washed. Then imagine the possibilities.
December 28, 2013 at 5:41pm        Thanked by Lori B
scgiddens
What about a stone facade on the planter? Might look good with the new color.
December 28, 2013 at 5:43pm        Thanked by Lori B
rachealy
I think you should do the window trim and door to either a very dark brown or black (but not a grey toned black. And the garage should be changed to a dark brown. If you have a larger budget I would consider a real wood garage door that slightly pops out.

I posted a photo of a house that is similar is color with black window trim.

Alder Hill

The Cliffs at Walnut Cove: Elliot Residence
December 28, 2013 at 6:06pm        Thanked by Lori B
handymam
Grover, I like the body color of the last one you did!
December 28, 2013 at 6:12pm        Thanked by Lori B
Robert
You have a very lovely home. A few of thing should make the difference.I think you should paint your main door . Make sure their is a contrast between the main door and the facade of the house. You could also add the house No to your entrance and hanging a pretty wreath on the door . For that extra pop, you could add one or two potted plants at the entrance. You should manicure your lawns and tend the beds.Wash the dirt of the fence. Add a trim to the windows or paint them bright .Update the exterior light fixtures .
December 28, 2013 at 6:58pm      Thanked by Lori B
chookchook2
Pressure clean your balcony. Even if you do paint, the paint will "take" better.
December 28, 2013 at 7:04pm        Thanked by Lori B
HI -- What a great house -- it has a bit of a modern vibe to it ! Most modern houses have some colored stucco ,a bit of wood and some raw concrete . I think this house can have those elements . Paint the stucco white and paint the trims and windows black/dark grey and refresh the concrete planter ledge and maybe add some cedar boards or hardie board on the horizontal some where, -perhaps on the bottom with a new modern acrylic garage door . Use the same wood as the house on a new horizontal board fence. There is also that Ipa wood .
December 28, 2013 at 7:28pm        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Wow, lefty47, you are thinking the Same Way I am. I have Seen an entire house done in hardy backerboard on HGTV and loved it. We are on a tight budget. We have a telescoping pool cover with a combination and Key lock to protect the kids being installed in April. The trim on that wil be dark gray. I have a pressure washer sitting in the garage waiting for warmer weather. Our outside water is Off at the moment. We cannot remove the ugly fence, because it is also a retaining wall. There is a walkway and Patio behind it. I will post pictures of what we have done so far in a bit.
December 28, 2013 at 11:47pm     
Lori B
Here are a few Pictures of what we have done so far. We aren't done. Our bathroom still Needs a mirror, lighting and trim at the ceiling. I haven't really had a Chance to fully decorate the Kids rooms yet either. We removed all but 1 tree on the property because most of them were half dead and many were leaning over the houses below us. We will be starting fresh with new landscaping in the spring. There were so many trees and overgrown bushes, what was supposed to be grass was moss.
December 29, 2013 at 12:27am     
Lori B
Pics of our bathroom, almost done. Daughter's bedroom so far and our Office.
December 29, 2013 at 12:40am     
Lori B
our room and a better one of our son's room. It is coming along.
December 29, 2013 at 12:49am     
RosemaryR
Lovely, it's coming along nicely.
December 29, 2013 at 2:40am        Thanked by Lori B
apple_pie_order
Great interior redo. What country are you in? The Sherwin Williams paint color website may work for you. Upload your photo and change paint colors.
December 29, 2013 at 5:57am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Caught that, did you? I am in Switzerland. We have a clear view of the Alps now that we cut down the trees. Of course we Need a clear day to actually see them. I will try out the Sherwin Williams Website. I tried one before, but really struggled with it. If this house had a flat Roof, I would convert it to a green Roof and go really bold with the house Color.
December 29, 2013 at 6:01am     
apple_pie_order
Houzz Pro Asvinteriors is in Switzerland. You might like looking at her Houzz page: http://www.houzz.com/pro/thereluctantdesigner/asvinteriors

There are a few months to consider new paint colors until spring when it warms up enough to start painting. I think the angled windows make a great accent. A more prominent color for the front door would be good.

Do you have any winter photos?

I sympathize with the half-dead tree problem. Sometimes you just have to remove trees when they cannot be saved. On the plus side, the views may improve and damage from windstorms reduced. In my area (California), many people are realizing that some non-native trees planted over the last few decades require more water than we can afford. Replacement with trees native to the area or with trees from similar climates is getting to be a popular option. I'd recommend consulting a professional arborist for a couple hours or so when landscaping in spring; it's worth the money.
December 29, 2013 at 6:23am        Thanked by Lori B
printesa
You have a beautiful house! A fresh coat of paint on the house and contrasting for windows, a new garage door (vertical slats for that) will make it new in no time. The indoor looks amazing.
December 29, 2013 at 6:29am        Thanked by Lori B
HI - Lori -- You and I have the same taste, I think . I love everything you have done with the interior , it's awesome and I love this house even more . The location of your house is very much like where I live - Calgary ,Alberta , in Canada . Close to the mountains and sort of same weather seasons ,I think . What is your kitchen like ?
December 29, 2013 at 6:43am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
thanks for the tips! I am from Southern California originally and every single time there was a wind storm, trees were downed. Before we bought this house, one of the ratty trees fell on the neighbor's Yard below and crushed their outdoor fireplace. We knew were were going to cut it all down once we moved in 'just in case'. Here are a few Pictures when it snowed. It's too warm right now for snow. Hopefully soon...
December 29, 2013 at 6:48am     
handymam
You have done an amazing job so far!!
December 29, 2013 at 7:16am        Thanked by Lori B
frenchdecor
love the house. Many good advise given. I want one to add, cover planters with horizontal wood (2-3" wide, 1/2" gap between) dark stained or painted as trim. It will add texture, modern look and cover up unattractive stained stucco.
December 29, 2013 at 7:22am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Lefty47, the kitchen is a dark cave. It is original 1985 and I cannot stand it. Since a whole new kitchen isn't in the Budget for several years (we opted to do the bedrooms and our bathroom first along with the pricey pool cover), I am going to paint the cabinets White and put a waterproof plaster over the top of the ugly yellow tile. What you cannot see in the Picture is the peachy colored extra wide grout between the tiles. Hopefully this year, we will remove a wall between the kitchen and the Dining room and replace the 3 small Windows in those rooms. The kitchen is in the middle of the house on the North side. It gets Zero light.
December 29, 2013 at 7:26am   
apple_pie_order
My, my, that is really yellow tile. Is removing it an option? I'm concerned the plaster may not stick to the slick tile. Perhaps a stainless steel or paintable metal tile could be mounted over the existing tile. Stainless behind the stove top for safety.
December 29, 2013 at 7:39am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
The planters as well as the columns on the south side and rear of the house are actually some sort of beige concrete with lots of small Stones or tiny rocks in it. It isn't very attractive. Unfortunately, the shutters are on tracks attached to the columns, so it will be a Major Job to cover them with something. I definately want to cover up the planters on the house. If at all possible, I would like to cover the ugly Wood post fence/retaining wall that is currently green. It had a ton of overgrown ivy on it when we moved in. Pressure washing that won't make it look much better.
December 29, 2013 at 7:46am   
Lori B
Actually, there are some great products that adhere to tile as Long as the tile was installed well. (no hollow places). We did that in our bathroom. Well, the tile guy did in coordination with the painters. Turned out fantastic. My best friend did the same at her house. They used a product that was actually for floors and mixed two Colors together. It is so easy to clean. Our tile guy painted some sort of a glue on the tile before they did any plastering. It was a 2 part process. It's a giant hassle to rip tile up, and then you still have to plaster over it again.
December 29, 2013 at 7:50am     
teambell
Beautiful home! What fun to work on! I really love what you have done so far, esp. in the bathroom. Sounds like great plans for the kitchen as the cabinets look to be of pretty good quality - hard to tell from a picture, but the style is good. Have fun! Great bones.
December 29, 2013 at 7:50am      Thanked by Lori B
Vicki Bauer
Stay with neutral colors (or stains) but go darker. My first instinct is dark grey or dark brown (depending on the true color of the eaves which need pressure washing). Your color choice would be a few shades lighter than the eaves. Check out Houzz "Gray Stucco Design Ideas" and "Brown Stucco Design Ideas." Some of the grays have brown tones. For the planters, I'd go a little darker because of the mildew problem. Trim around the windows could be the same color as the eaves or the planters. Check out #1523 in the ideasbook on Houzz. It's stunning! Also, #22, #643 and #1064 are so classy. You might want to paint your front door in a high gloss in your favorite color. It's easy to add punches of color to browns and grays. Besides, changing the door color isn't that much work. Now for that fence -- it has to disappear! If you need a screen there for privacy, plant Leyland Cypress 20' apart and about 10' behind the fence. In 5 years or so, you will have enough growth from the trees to remove the fence completely.

Where is your front door?
December 29, 2013 at 9:01am        Thanked by Lori B
HI -- Lori - What can I say but I suppose the kitchen was great for the time . But if it functions ,it works until it can be put out of it's misery, right . As a former kitchen planner , this makes my brain hum with ideas . Now you can use the time to save ideas and think about what you want and a floor plan . Don't put angled cabinets or pantries into your plan . I am thinking concrete Moroccan large format tiles on the whole cooking wall with very modern style cabinets and poured concrete counters and some quartz counter at the cooking area . Anyway that's my mind . Not sure if your thinking of relocating the kitchen but I always liked a kitchen that gets the morning sun . While your researching , check out the German made kitchen cabinets , they are some of the best made .
December 29, 2013 at 9:19am        Thanked by Lori B
robertholman
I love the house Lots of character. I would tear the fence down right away. White or Black trim on the windows would be nice.
December 29, 2013 at 9:42am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Vicky, that fence isn't a fence, but a retaining wall. It has to stay, but I plan on covering it with something. That area in front of it will become my garden eventually. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks. I have a new pressure washer sitting in the Garage waiting for the temperature to increase. Right now, our water is off outside and won't be back on until probably April.
Lefty47, I can't relocate the kitchen. I do want to open it up as much as possible, but the Center wall in the house is the supporting wall and has the fireplace on it. We are going to check with a builder to see how much of it can be removed. I would like to take it all down and Keep the fireplace so we can walk around it. I plan to put a Long Island in the kitchen after we remove the wall to the old Dining room and move the cook top there. The wall in the photo with cabinets will become wall ovens and a Refrigerator. I want to Close off the door there, or at least move it over a couple of feet to give me more space. The North wall with the Little Windows will end up being a Long Counter with drawers for everything below. I want a White kitchen. We will use the same large gray tile we put in our upstairs hallway and on the walls in our bathroom. It Looks like concrete. I would like modern, shiny White cabinets with a rough stainless countertop. I don't know what that is called. Not sure yet on a backsplash. If we can open up the Center wall to the living room so we can walk around the fireplace, then I would probably either do a Stone facade on the fireplace, or Keep it simple with smooth plaster. I like to entertain, so an open plan is preferable. I really like the kitchen in #2466 with the fun Pops of Color, but don't care for the light granite at the bar. pic below. I like the other one too, but it Needs some Color Pops. Modern Kitchen by New York Cabinets & Cabinetry LEICHT New York / LEICHT Westchester
Contemporary Kitchen by Portland Architects & Designers Alan Mascord Design Associates Inc
December 29, 2013 at 10:21am     
Lori B
Hmmm. Don't know why the Pictures didn't post. They showed up before I pressed submit. They are photos on houzz.
December 29, 2013 at 10:28am   
Lori B
I found the plans for the house. Here's the kitchen and Dining room. I want to remove the wall between the kitchen and Dining room and reduce as much of the wall as possible between the kitchen and living room. Our Dining table is in the living room. It is large enough and we can look out the Windows there. The orig Dining room feels claustrophobic. The other Pictures are of the kitchens I like
December 29, 2013 at 10:53am     
Lori B
Vicky, the front door is next to the Garage door. It is White and not the most attractive.
December 29, 2013 at 11:11am   
Wonder if an entry door like this one would work for you... Might try a pergola to cover the entry and part of the landing.

December 29, 2013 at 12:31pm        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
I like the door, but from a safety standpoint, it wouldn't work. Our front door is the only Thing on that Level besides the Garage, laundry, Fitness room and cellar. The main living space is all upstairs. There have been a number of break-ins in the last couple of years in the area. I have thought about adding a glass Pergola over the door for an architectural Feature. They are pretty popular here, but with the front door being on an angle to the Garage and driveway, it can't stick out too far or it will cause a Problem possibly with the Garage.
December 29, 2013 at 12:36pm   
Lori B
I was sucked in to the Sherman williams Coloring Software for way too Long. I still don't know what I would like best for painting the house and trim. I was searching all over houzz as well. I spent some time on the local real estate listings too. I have come to the conclusion that all of the houses look the same. red Roof, White exterior, painted shutters. Boring. While a very light gray or warm White would be the easiest to do with a dark trim for the Windows, I want to be sure we will be happy with it and so I Need to find some cheap and creative ways to make this house look as edgy as possible. This is much harder than I thought it would be.
December 29, 2013 at 4:14pm     
Vicki Bauer
Dear Lori, take a drive through some very high end neighborhoods to find inspiration. After you have a few ideas, sleep on it. Trust your instincts. Only you know what will make you happy but you have to back away from the decision enough to relax. Don't make this decision under pressure. Enjoy the experience.
December 29, 2013 at 6:10pm        Thanked by Lori B
Dan H.
You have no FRONT door. To me that is a much bigger problem than paint color. Check out the popular architectural book, "Pattern Language" and read "Entrance Transition." I think it is pattern #112. Looks like a tough problem to me and may have been the reason you thought it was an ugly house at first. I have no quick ideas.
December 29, 2013 at 6:41pm        Thanked by Lori B
HI - Ok Lori - you want some edgy color for this house , have a look at Benjamin Moore -- Amsterdam Blue and Rusty Nail -- either would look stunning with dark trims . Also look at Behr.com and go to Architectural Styles -- this may help also.
December 29, 2013 at 6:50pm        Thanked by Lori B
Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
Great house....where is it? Looks like a European Country home.. I actually like that pale blue on the windows. I would try to stain that concrete to blend into the house so that it is not a focal point. I assume the green fence is gone by now. Seems like you are working fast and making great strides.
December 29, 2013 at 7:15pm      Thanked by Lori B
Laura Prejean
Jolllloololololloiuil
Klssallsaalsll
Ahphjjjjkkon. M. Mjjjgjjlslsjskql. M. Nnnnkanslszllslslalspap
A
A
A
A
Spa
A
Alkalosis
December 29, 2013 at 7:28pm   
Shauna Cowley Filtz
I like Lefty's way of thinking. You want the house to show it's modern exterior to best advantage. Greige (grey or beige) is like a plate full of white food... Bland! I notice the lower level is a different colour than the upper... Maybe do the lower level Kelly green, mid-level (to lower roof line) a slate grey (like your alps) and the peak areas a sky blue... A bit avant-garde but with bold architecture comes bold colour! My uncle is an architect and his modern home's paint scheme is colour blocks. As for Lefty's suggestions, rusty nail is a great colour. Even if you just did the trim, planter, garage, entry and pillars with it, it would spice up your home. Have fun with it and let your imagination be your guide!
December 29, 2013 at 7:37pm      Thanked by Lori B
anapants
Fence should go. Add tile around the pool. Maybe a stone detail on the front of the house and maybe a siding instead of paint.
December 29, 2013 at 8:36pm      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Everyone, including me thinks the ugly fence should go. The Problem is, it is also a retaining wall. I can't take it down, but would love to cover it with something. Anything. I am open to suggestions. We don't have the Money to have a new retaining wall installed. Our list of other Projects is just too Long. Every window in the house Needs to be replaced and before our pool cover is installed, we Need to either reset the current Stones, or have new ones put in. I could go on and on. Most of the exterior work will be done by myself and my husband. We have done a complete interior remodel in the US and I taught myself to be a pretty good tile setter. I'm not afraid of doing this stuff myself. The Internet is great for how-to instructions.
Distinctive Mantel Designs, we are in Switzerland. Most of the houses here are really boring. White, beige, yellow beige with red tile roofs. The newer really modern homes have some style and Color. Concrete, dark gray, blue, yellow. Once in a while, you see an older house that has been painted mustard, Gold, lavender, pink, etc. That will never happen on my house. :) When I think of some of the trim and Color Options, I think of the 80's and I really want to get this house looking like it belongs in the 21st century. I like concrete and natural Wood elements mixed together.
Dan H, you are so right. The front door has no Appeal. I think they should have made it aound the side of the house where the stairs are and enter on a landing. The huge hallway by the actual front door would be better used as additional storage because the room that is technically the cellar isn't that big.
December 29, 2013 at 11:54pm     
apple_pie_order
Is the retaining wall concrete or wood posts?
December 30, 2013 at 6:18am   
Lori B
It is the ugly Wood Posts that are currently green. I am pretty sure it's treated Wood. The Posts run pretty far. There are stairs down to a private Patio and then next to the Garage is the entry to that same Patio. It creates privacy for the Patio as well as hiding the green waste bins and our firewood. If we had the Money, I would be all for ripping it out and replacing it with something more attractive, but our list is just too Long. When we bought the house, it was covered in some really overgrown ivy on both sides.
December 30, 2013 at 6:22am   
apple_pie_order
When was the house built? Wood windows or steel?
December 30, 2013 at 6:34am     
apple_pie_order
A brief google image search showed that the fashionable accent colors for new modern style construction in Switzerland are acid green and acid orange-rust. You might try looking at some new Dutch construction, too, for more uses of color that punctuate the gray and white.
December 30, 2013 at 6:37am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
The house was built in 1985. It has double or triple paned Wood Windows. The Problem is that there is moisture between the panes and even when you clean the heck out of them, they still look really dirty. The ick is all between the panes. :( We replaced one very tall window in the stairwell on the North side of the house because the Wood was rotten. The next ones will likely be the 3 small Windows we have in the kitchen and on the North wall of the Dining room. I want shorter Windows that run horizontally along the wall so I still have a view of the mountain, but won't be Counter Level like the current ones are.
December 30, 2013 at 6:39am     
mickisue
For the retaining wall-can you get rolls of tall, slender bamboo where you live? You can staple it directly to the fence/wall, and it will add texture. Can be painted, if you wish. Your house IS edgy, with the amazing variety of awesome windows; you need to let those wonderful angles and shapes speak for themselves.

It's not that the color is horrid, as is, it's that the house looks dirty. Before choosing any paint colors, I would follow the advice upthread, and have the entire house pressure washed. Or rent a pressure washer and do it yourself.

You may find that you only need to paint the trim; a much less daunting task than the entire house. I can see a dark color on the trim to contrast with the pale stucco--maybe a brick red that will complement, but not match, the roof. Bright red or blue would, I fear, make the house look cartoonish.

I love what you've done so far with your interior. Your little girl's room has a girly feel, without being over the top, and the room to play in your son's room must be a wonder for him--my daughter lives in a three bedroom apartment in Italy, and it appears that your son's room is about the size of all three bedrooms put together! Luckily, their son is only 2 months old, so they have time to get more room!
December 30, 2013 at 6:51am        Thanked by Lori B
mickisue
One more thing. When you get ready to do your kitchen, remember that beams can do miracles. Load bearing walls can be convinced to leave, if you engineer the walls to either side to take up the slack, as it were.
December 30, 2013 at 6:52am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Mickisue, I am itching to pressure wash the house, driveway and all of the Stones on the rear Patio. I talked my husband into trying to hook it up tomorrow in the Garage so I can 'test' it. He has the water outside shut off for the winter and it is killing me. You are right though, I won't be able to pick paint Colors until it is clean. Regardless, I really don't like the yellow/beige Color. It is the same as an old Apartment building my husband lived in in Los Angeles. I want a fresher Color. The biggest selling Points of the house for me were the large bedrooms (not normal here at all) and the huge Yard with a great view. This house is really much larger than I wanted, but the Price was right. Italy! I hope you are visiting often. Congratulations on your grandson. :)
December 30, 2013 at 7:02am     
Lori B
My husband may be the largest load bearing wall in my way when I want to open up the kitchen. ;) ha ha He is convinced we can't do it, but I say we can.
December 30, 2013 at 7:03am     
Lori B
Apple_pie_order, you are a better googler than I am. I get myself lost on the Internet and so much time passes while I get nothing accomplished. :)
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look them up
December 30, 2013 at 7:05am     
cindinfocus
Lori, I love the tile/brick in your bathroom. What is it, and where can it be ordered?
December 30, 2013 at 7:44am     
mickisue
Lori, I know that they get Property Brothers on Italian cable TV. If you get it in Switzerland, have him watch it with you. They frequently end up getting rid of bearing walls.

And thank you, he's pretty special. I was lucky enough to spend his first two weeks there.
December 30, 2013 at 7:46am     
Lori B
cindinfocus, we ordered the Stone from Germany. It is called Naturestein (natural Stone) Loft/Tundra CM11005. Metamorphite. The size is 20 cm X 5 cm. http://www.baerwolf.de/engl/products/mosaics/naturalstone/index.html We originally found it in Switzerland, but we paid much less in Germany, so we had it shipped down to us. I am sure you can find it in the US as well. Good luck. I love it.
December 30, 2013 at 7:58am   
Lori B
Mickisue, I haven't seen that Show, but I rarely watch TV. My vice is the Internet. :)
December 30, 2013 at 7:59am   
santoslhauper
The fence looks like it's covered in algae or moss. Cleaning it and painting should make it look much better. I echo the suggestion of cleaning the concrete planter. In the second picture, I suggest painting below the planter a different color than above (the garage area basically). Someone mentioned hardiboard for the outside - if you can't cover the whole house, just cover some of it, like this
[houzz=Crane Residence]

Or this
[houzz=Kessler Woods]

And/or you could do the wall partially in corrugated steel like this:

[houzz=2012 Parade Home]

Maybe down that funky diagonal wall (though I would wrap it past there in some fashion so it doesn't visually cut your house in half).

Color-wise I like green and grey or white and redbrick color
December 30, 2013 at 9:18am        Thanked by Lori B
Where do,you live? Looks like you get a lot of rain, with moss on fence. I would paint house a bright color, add a little sunshine to house. If you like mid century look at home in the 50s 60s. See how they were painted.
December 30, 2013 at 9:20am        Thanked by Lori B
On planters get something that will hang over side and maybe cover that planter.
December 30, 2013 at 9:21am   
I like the idea of a stone on planter then just leave it. No lands.
December 30, 2013 at 9:22am   
Great job so far. It's a lot of work, but will be well worth it. Bathroom is very nice love it.
December 30, 2013 at 9:25am        Thanked by Lori B
Ok I see you are in Switzerland. Looks cold. Add warm colors to house.
December 30, 2013 at 9:27am   
bungalowmo
I absolutely love your house!!! My only piece of advice...embrace some color!

I'm seeing a LOT of gray & white. :0(
December 30, 2013 at 9:44am     
anapants
Can you redo the fence?
December 30, 2013 at 10:40am   
Lori B
It isn't a fence, it's a retaining wall of Wood Posts. I would love to do something different, but for now, I will Need to cover it up with something. Our remodeling Budget is going other places.
December 30, 2013 at 11:24am   
Dan H.
Lori: I recommended that you read the section on "Entrance Transition (#112)" from the book "Pattern Language." I think it is also helpful, but I really meant "Main Entrance (#110)." You said: "I think they should have made it aound the side of the house where the stairs are and enter on a landing." Is that reasonably possible? If so, I'd engage an architect or good builder to look into it. For sure, the entrance (i.e., first impression) sets the tone for the whole house. Also, look at "Entrance Room (#130)." If your architect has not heard of Pattern Language, don't hire him IMHO.
December 30, 2013 at 6:11pm      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Thanks Dan. Unfortunately, my wish of moving th front door is just a dream. The house would have to burn down and be rebuilt the way I want it (flat Roof, open floor plan...). Since that won't ever happen and after all of the work we have done so far, it had better not, I am stuck creating a more attractive entrance where it currently sits. I will see if I can get my Hands on that book in the near future.
December 31, 2013 at 12:28am     
HI -- Lori -- Everyone seems to be focusing on that fence / retaining wall . If you paint /stain it black , black always makes fences look better . Another thing you could do is put some wire mesh such as cattle wire which has a bigger squared structure (not chicken wire) on the fence , then plant some Virginia Creeper or some other fast growing vine and it will cover it in a summer or two . Virginia Creeper is nice because it turns a beautiful red in the fall . Concerning the entrance door and your security . You need a insulated metal clad door and if you put in a tempered glass insert (yes you can) .Then you will need a good keyed double side deadbolt -not a thumb turn inside - and you could install a pre-entry alarm system . If you can't afford an alarm yet ,just put the stickers and signs up that says you have one . Any thieves will not take the chance breaking into your place and just move on .Also put in some good motion detector exterior lighting - bad people only work in the dark or hidden places. It's also nice for anyone to have a light come on when you come to the house at night.
December 31, 2013 at 5:48am        Thanked by Lori B
saratogaswizzlestick
Tons of potential with this house. For the outside I would first power wash and use a product like spray it and forget it to get rid of moss and mildew. I like Groveraxel's paint suggestions, especially the third one. I would paint the retaining wall the same brown as he colored your planters and plan act trailing plant over the wall. I think your front door is a unique and fun design and I would keep it and paint it a traditional Swiss blue. You are doing great on the inside although I think a few pops of color would be nice. Love the interesting slopes to the ceilings you have. You did a beautiful job on your bathroom, it looks like something from a magazine. If paint is not an option to cover the planters perhaps a coating of stucco so it blends with the house. I can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen, judging by what you have done so far I think it will be a show piece.
December 31, 2013 at 6:26am        Thanked by Lori B
Shannon Peet Merrill
Just a thought to soften the "bunker" feel of the planter band: after you choose your exterior color and trim, clad the band in good quality lattice. It can be left natural to age and blend in, or painted the same color as the trim. Great house!
December 31, 2013 at 6:39am        Thanked by Lori B
kgrad
One more thought regarding the retaining wall - would it be possible to cut it shorter? From the picture it looks much taller than what it's 'retaining'. Not sure if the height would make it too weak to retain, but it's an economical option to reduce it's presence. I love the character of this house and all that you have done so far.
December 31, 2013 at 6:51am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Thanks everyone. Happy New Year! This afternoon, my husband hooked up the pressure washer in the Garage so I could try it out. I didn't get everything off of the planters, but they already look so much better. I still think they will Need something to update them. The odd concrete and rock blend they created is well, odd and I don't care for it. I also pressure washed a few of the logs of the retaining wall. Green was definately not their Color. I only did a bit of it and there are still the bits from the ivy that was stuck to it before, but it might not Look so bad once it is cleaned up. I can cut it a bit shorter. I was thinking of doing that on the Patio area towards the back of the wall to give the Fitness room more light and a small view. In the front, I probably can't go down more than a foot or so without it exposing the piles of firewood it is hiding. I haven't had a Chance yet to add any 'color' to the house where we have remodeled. It is coming along slowly. I do have a small Palm in the master bedroom and a tall potted grass in the bathroom by the window so far. It is difficult with so Little wall space. I have plans for a headboard in the master and my son has a pile of items to be hung in his room. We will be ordering a 'big Girl bed' in a few weeks, so hopefully that will arrive before Easter. The rest of my daughter's room is in dire Need of organizing and decorating. Now that we are underway, I cannot express just how difficult it is to stay on track and finish the spaces we have been remodeling rather than jumping to the next 'project' on the list. This week should see several small items finally being completed and if I Play my Cards right, the driveway and fence may get pressure washed on Saturday. Sadly, the Color on the house isn't any more attractive cleaned up. +
December 31, 2013 at 4:21pm     
apple_pie_order
How about putting up some white fairy lights on the planters for a month or so? There are lots of northern cities that keep lights in trees for the winter months.
December 31, 2013 at 5:25pm     
troshalom
New windows, dark bronze color. For the planters some flowering vines, I think they are called crawlers, would dress it up, soften the look of the house. And tuscan colors for the house would be lovely. Change out the wood fence to update the look, brick/stone or wrought iron. If you go with iron, add some to the house too, maybe around the top windows or decorative on the planters.
December 31, 2013 at 6:10pm        Thanked by Lori B
ruthmand
Here are two older buildings in Austria that have fabulous colors for you to consider though I personally prefer the grayish white with charcoal trim which is very classic but probably too boring if all the other houses in the neighborhood are sporting the same color scheme.
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4666616351493891&w=222&h=187&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7 http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4779144487502339&w=210&h=175&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
December 31, 2013 at 6:56pm   
Lori B
Let me just say that I LOVE my new pressure washer. I got to Play with it for a little while yesterday afternoon and wash some of the planters on the house. It Looks much better. I took a photo this morning and some of it is still damp from last nights drizze, but you can really see the difference. It isn't perfect, but much improved. I also washed a bit of the green off of the retaining wall logs. There are still bits of ivy stuck to it, but it is also much improved. My son played with the washer on the driveway. That is going to take some massive work to get clean. The Mailbox on the house will be getting replaced with something modern and metal. I also plan to put some large stainless house numbers on the house once we paint it.
January 1, 2014 at 3:35am     
Lori B
OK, before and after pressure washing a little bit on the planters. Not perfect, but definately better. I couldn't tell that much until I looked at the pics side by side.
January 1, 2014 at 4:16am     
Rachelle Plantagenet
Hi Lori, you're doing a great job with your renovations! The inside is looking beautiful. I have the same Ikea light fitting as you (big decision between the large and small eh?). I really like your egg-shaped basin, would you mind telling what brand it is and the dimensions of your supporting vanity bench? I am doing up my w/c at the moment- I love the bowl on cabinet look but it is a really small space so it could be too overwhelming if it is too large.
January 1, 2014 at 5:12am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Hi Rachelle, we had the vanity table custom built because the space is so small. I am in Switzerland, so everything is in metric. Our wall on the right side of the vanity was only 38cm to the window, so there was no way we could order a prefab Counter. The Counter is 99.5cm wide and 49 cm deep. at the 65cm mark (where the sink Ends, the front of the Counter is angled to decrease in depth to the 38 cm. It is 10 cm thick I would have had it thinner, but they needed to hide the Support arms. The sink is from Piu Due and is 64.5 X 39 cm. Note that a sink like this is only attached with Silicone, so it can't be leaned on. We figured we would be fine with that since it is our bathroom and not for the Kids. http://www.vitra-bad.de/ProductDetail/Sanit%C3%A4rkeramik/Waschtische/Aufsatzwaschtische/Options/Piu_Due_Aufsatzwaschtisch_65_cm_wei%C3%9F_5194B003-0016/ I attached a link to the exact measurements to the sink. I really liked the larger light, but my daughter's ceiling is too low for it. I am going to attach some paper butterflies to it pull out some of the Colors of her bedding. I still Need to make her curtains too. Thank heavens it is dark so early or she would never go to bed. I have a few months...
January 1, 2014 at 5:30am   
chookchook2
Pressure washing helped alot with the exterior.
January 1, 2014 at 5:37am      Thanked by Lori B
Rachelle Plantagenet
The light is gorgeous and i love your idea of attaching butterflies! Some people i know have actually coloured the flowers in the light itself. My ceiling is low so i have the small one too. Thanks for the link for the basin- it might be a little large as the wall on the right of my custom vanity is only 30cm! Not to mention there is not much leg space between the toilet and vanity (which will be facing each other). I really should get an integrated sink but i love the bowl so much i might just get it anyway :)
January 1, 2014 at 5:50am     
Lori B
I fell in love with the bowl when we were looking. Everything else was rectangular and boring and I didn't want round. Most of those were too deep and difficult to Access. Wow, your space IS small. You will have to post Pictures when you are done.
January 1, 2014 at 5:53am     
Rachelle Plantagenet
I have seen planters similar to yours just painted and with manicured english box hedge in them and they've looked stunning.
January 1, 2014 at 5:54am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
I am leaning toward covering the planters with a cement board in a natural cement shade. I was thinking it might be fun to make the bolts and large washers an added Feature to give them some personality. I really like grasses, but the english box hedge would be nice too. the planter area is actually divided (where you see the vertical Joint lines) by about 20cm between, so I don't know if a hedge look would fill in enough. On the south side of the house, I am going to plant an herb garden in the planters, but the front is still up in the air.
January 1, 2014 at 5:58am     
apple_pie_order
Looks much better already. Do you have photos of the planters from above that show how much space there is to plant in?
January 1, 2014 at 6:02am   
Lori B
The planting area on the front of the house is about 2.5 ft X 5.5 ft. the ones on the south side are just as Long, but narrower. probably a bit less than 2 ft.
January 1, 2014 at 6:32am   
apple_pie_order
That's a surprise! I thought there was a walkway/balcony behind the planter walls and that the planters were about as wide as a milk carton! Okay, so those were clearly meant for trailing plants. Otherwise the windows would be obscured. I am amazed that the architect designed such structures that are so heavy- they'd clearly require some real engineering support. I wonder if they were meant to be used as a modern quotation of window boxes with traditional ivy geraniums?
January 1, 2014 at 6:45am     
apple_pie_order
Has scraping the paint turned up the original colors on windows and exterior walls?
January 1, 2014 at 6:45am   
Lori B
The Color on the Pictures is the original Color. This house hasn't been painted since it was built in 1985. There is a walkway behind the planters on the south side of the house. It isn't wide, maybe 3ft. I have the shutters half way down, so you can't really see it. On the front of the house, the planters are directly off of the Windows.
January 1, 2014 at 6:54am   
rredpenn
Geez, how do you get to the planters that have no walkway? Ladders? They do look much better pressure washed, as does that wood retaining wall. Pressure washing that algae off really made a huge difference. There is a product called "Wet and Forget" that is an algae cleaner/preventative. It is safe, and really works. We use it on a deck and concrete sidewalk every spring. Nothing beats pressure washing tho' for instant gratification! I love mine too!

BTW, your energy tackling this house is admirable! Great vision and execution thusfar! It is going to be gorgeous when you get done, I can tell!
January 1, 2014 at 7:06am        Thanked by Lori B
apple_pie_order
The Wedgewood blue and offwhite-beige combination was very popular in Southern California in the late 1980's because the paint company Dunn Edwards featured it in one of its "exterior" brochures.
January 1, 2014 at 7:08am   
Dan H.
"... I am stuck creating a more attractive entrance where it currently sits."

Ok, sure. It's a huge endeavor. Well, then (if it were me) I'd try to move that hillside back with an attractive (stone?) retaining wall and put in a generous (again, stone) walkway/landing strip so that the door looks less like the servants' entrance. If you push that hillside back far enough you could add some entrance-like landscaping.
January 1, 2014 at 7:14am     
Lori B
I grew up in Southern California and remember the 80's house Colors that were popular. I want to get as far away from that era as possible when we update the house. Rredpenn, the planters are accessed through the Windows or using a tall ladder. Not convenient at all. I want to plant very low maintenance plants on the front and Corner of the house since anything else would be tedious.
Dan H, my husband and I were just talking about adding more Stones and trying to make some additional space today. Hopefully, he goes for it. He is pushing for a water Feature there, but I would rather just do a nice landscape. There is a small Pond in the backyard for a water Feature I plan to update.
January 1, 2014 at 7:59am   
Dan H.
"...but I would rather just do a nice landscape." I would side with you on that. The design problem (for me) is that it does not appear/function as a proper entrance to such an interesting house. I.e. the entrance needs to make a statement. First, it needs more space--pushing back the hillside does that. A water feature may help--but, I can't visualize how. Perhaps an entrance pergola going toward the street over a larger stone walkway/landing off the driveway would help. It provides a visual clue that this is more than just a door off the garage. It would help define that space (perhaps even with a gate near the street) and with proper plantings helps create the sense of a transition "room" needed for an entrance.
January 1, 2014 at 9:53am   
Lori B
Dan H, I completely agree with you. You see that a lot over here. Very few houses have good curb appeal. It was a Big drawback for me on this house and was actually the reason we didn't offer on another house. The frönt door was behind the house. So odd. It will be a while before we can do much with the actual door, but we Might be able to work with the stones and reshape the slope a bit. We plan to Beginn landscaping in the spring, so maybe.... I was thinking that even if we can't move the stones that are already there, we Could add New ones and curve it up a bit to create a small Island between the walkway and driveway for definition. We are definately removing the dirt and plants at the bottom of the Stones for more walking area.
January 1, 2014 at 10:18am     
joots07
This house is a bit similar to yours. http://nyti.ms/1jRYr3J
January 1, 2014 at 5:51pm      Thanked by Lori B
Rachelle Plantagenet
Hi Lori, I'm just admiring your bathroom again! I can't see a cabinet in your bathroom- is there one out of camera sight? As you know I'm doing up my w/c (which is just outside my teenage daughters bedroom so she plans on putting all her toiletries in there) and I'm trying to decide between a floating vanity cabinet with egg-shaped bowl on top and flat mirror or to just get a similar configuration to yours with a mirror cabinet- what were your thoughts when you designed yours? Thank you
January 2, 2014 at 1:57am     
Lori B
We haven't ordered a cabinet yet, but it will be on an angled wall on the other side of the window. I found a few Options, but no matter what, I will be getting a cabinet that is around 15 to 17 cm deep. I saw some cubes and also some tall cabinets. Ikea has some bathroom cabinets you can attach to the wall that are about 70 or 80 cm tall and about 30cm wide with the shallow depth. You could stack 2. We are going to order a flat mirror with a light inside of it rather than a medicine cabinet. I don't like those at all. I have also debated on installing a Floating small cabinet on the wall underneath of the vanity, but farther dow. I have also seen the equivalent of a storage stool on wheels that can be rolled underneath of the vanity Counter. My ultimate Goal is to Keep the mosaic tiles visible as much as possible. I love it and don't want it be be hidden away. Ikea also has contemporary drawer cabinets that can be mounted to the wall and use a different Counter rather than what they have. It is certainly less expensive. If we did that, we would Mount a single deep drawer directly underneath of the sink area either right underneath of the Counter, or dropped down 12 to 15 cm.
January 2, 2014 at 3:34am   
Rachelle Plantagenet
I love your mosaic tiles, they are a really lovely colour and i agree you don't want to cover them up too much. If i had as much space as you i would go for a wall mounted tall cabinet. I also don't like mirror medicine cabinets, I've only been contemplating one because the space is small and i worry about my husbands and tall visitors leg room. I'll probably just go for the vanity cabinet anyway and hope for the best ;) That storage stool sounds good for you. I hope to see all of your pics when you complete your project- it looks beautiful so far.
January 2, 2014 at 3:49am        Thanked by Lori B
stevedenver
The house has great lines, but the current colors have no scheme.
Consider the house as one entirety, including its fence.

The area is very green, so a pop of ochre -- or if you're daring, a richer mustard -- will give the entire body of the house cohesiveness and presence -- paint the downspouts the same color as the house, they are NOT a feature. Use paint that inhibits mold growth and contains anti-fungals. For the planter, consider having it primed with something heavy duty like KILZ, which encapsulates and kills mold growth.

The roof and trim sit very heavily on the structure. Lighten up the trim, pull it up onto the gables and down onto the planter and garage door.

The roof color is staying, so use it: pull it down onto the window trim and create a grid on the garage door to pull that motif down to the lower third of the house. I left the brown under the eaves and under the planter. Choose a stain for the fence that is somewhere between the brown and terra cotta.

Power wash the roof to remove the dark fungus and mold -- that will also help your roof last longer. Hire a licensed and INSURED power-washing company. Have them do the entire house and fence, probably the walkways, too; and then maintain it with your household pressure washer.

When this house is power washed and wearing a fresh coat of paint, its lines will be easier to appreciate.
January 2, 2014 at 7:05am        Thanked by Lori B
stevedenver
I read your post agonizing over color: paint a small section of your house and then consider spreading it over the rest. According to your before/after pictures, you have excellent taste.

As for the tiles in the kitchen have you considered boxing them in with bead board or plywood that has a hardwood laminate on one face? Since you're painting the cabinets white, it might work nicely. It's unfortunate that whomever put in the stone counter tops, put in something so dark, when light is already an issue.
January 2, 2014 at 7:36am     
chookchook2
Like your pic on the right, stevedenver.
January 2, 2014 at 7:38am     
heartlander
Lori, I have an idea to put the log fence in its place. It seems to be retaining soil that was not, for whatever reason, excavated away from the house. (Odd.) So apparently something must be there to hold that soil. I don't see why the fence couldn't be cut down in height to extend 2' or so above grade. It would still "retain", but without dominating/obscuring the facade. You could then do low plantings along the short wall to camouflage it, if needed. Great house, BTW.
January 2, 2014 at 7:42am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
stevedenver, thanks for doing the Color Rendering. Most houses here have a heavy roofline. My husband isn't willing to Change that. bummer. When we do get around to painting the house, it definately won't be in the beige/yellow family. Neither one of us care for it at all. He is leaning towards a light gray, but I don't think it will work with the dark Brown trim and red tile. If it wasn't so dreary and gray here much of the year, I wouldn't be opposed to a taupe Color, but it may be too drab and no amount of local foliage could make that work. You are so right about the dark countertops. The kitchen really does feel like a cave. Since we are going to rip it all out at some Point, the smallest Investment of Money has to be our Option. I like your idea about bead board, but that is difficult to find here without breaking the bank. The waterproof plaster I am thinking of covering it with will Keep me under $100 total. I am also going to spray paint the handles silver (they are Gold) so I don't waste the Money on new hardward that would be temporary. Nothing in this house matches. There isn't a speck of yellow in the coutertop and my kids' bathroom is the same. Door handles throughout were blue, red, White and yellow plastic. Ick.
Heartlander, the fence/retaining wall is hiding our green waste bins and firewood as well as enclosing a private Patio. I am pretty sure they never excavated the rest of the soil away from the house because of the view. Any lower and you woudn't see the Alps. They also created a gradual slope from the front to the rear of the house which is much higher. I am attaching a few Pictures of what I am talking about. I am seriously thinking of just planting some Kind of narrow hedge in front of the fence and be done with it. The view isn't clear right now, but maybe you can see the Alps a bit in the distance.
January 2, 2014 at 9:04am     
apple_pie_order
Great view of the Alps. What window was the photo taken from?
January 2, 2014 at 9:17am      Thanked by Lori B
stevedenver
I paint stuff all the time and typically love the results. For painting kitchen cabinets, I recommend something that is easy to touch up, and painting a few very thin coats. I tend to strike my cabinets with something and it dents the finish or stains. Maybe that's just me.

It can be mind-boggling trying to figure out the choices of others: I realized that some people don't think anything before making a choice.

I live in an area with a lot of adobe and stucco houses with Mexican color influences. If you don't like yellows, how about greens? Before they painted it white, one of my favorite homes was painted spring green, richly infused color, with burnt orange trim and a bright blue door. Now it's white and brown and I want to throw eggs at it.
January 2, 2014 at 9:19am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
The Alps pic was taken from the large upstairs window. I haven't taken a good one from downstairs yet, but we have a clear view from the living room and backyard as well now that we cut down all of the trees and overgrown bushes. I am attaching one from the backyard from when we were cutting down the trees. It wasn't clear, but the Alps appear over the horizon on clear days which is right over the top of the roofs of the homes to the south of us. You coudn't see through the trees and bushes before.
Stevedenver, I have seen so many People paint their houses and make it look worse. I know what you mean.
Rachelle, I took a photo of the wall we plan to put that shallow cabinet on. Today, my husband put a milk-glass foil on the Windows so we can finally take a shower in our new bathroom without giving the neighborhood a Show. He also got the handles on our closets installed. We aren't starting any new Projects until the ones we have had underway since moving in are complete. That is hard to do. I want so badly to start something else right now.
January 2, 2014 at 10:29am     
ruthmand
Here is another interesting color combination to consider: http://www.europeanrealestate.org/for-sale/home-villa-lugano-ticino-switzerland_WE1321.html

Personally I like the light blue/gray color of the home in background of the last photo with view of alps in distance
January 2, 2014 at 12:10pm      Thanked by Lori B
mickisue
Lori, I absolutely understand that need to keep moving on the BIG STUFF. My master bath has been complete--except that I have yet to get the portable drill and put back the clips for the shades in there. Voyeurs aren't an issue--we're over 300 feet from the nearest house at the back, and there are multiple trees to obscure whatever might be seen over all that distance. But it's COLD here, (high today -1F) and I hate sending the heated air out the windows, even though their high R windows.

My kitchen is taking its time, as well, because we're paying cash for everything, and the "everything" that's next is sink/gas cooktop and counters, and that's about $5000. It's accumulating, but not nearly fast enough for my taste. Christmas, of course, didn't help.

If you paint the pulls in your kitchen, just know that the paint will wear off from use. I started by spray painting the brass pulls in the master bath and kitchen, but ended up spending an hour finding the cheapest replacements in nickel, when I noticed it was wearing off on the cabinet under the master bath sink--and I don't use those doors all that much. Since you are planning a kitchen redo, anyway, that doesn't seem to be too big a deal.

For your monster fence/retaining wall. Once you have it all cleaned up, it will look a lot nicer, and not be such an eyesore. Since you have limited funds for the changes you want to make, just painting the fence with a mildew inhibiting paint that matches or coordinates with your final trim color will help a lot in making it an asset instead of a drawback, I think.

Farther down the line, you could start to consider some of the great ideas to minimize its visual impact, but for now, clean and painted will be a 200% improvement, right there!
January 2, 2014 at 12:23pm        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Thanks mickisue. My wish list far, far exceeds our Budget. Unfortunately. The Quote we got to paint our house was $25,000 to $30,000. We are going to paint it ourselves and rent a lift for a few days. We spent a fortune having the ceilings in all the bedrooms and hallway painted as well as the stairwell, 2 hallways and entry hall. We also had all of the ugly blue trim painted on the door Frames on two Levels. Our Budget blew up in the fall. We hadn't planned on tiling the upstairs hallway or stairs, but the flooring we went with for the bedrooms wouldn't work on the curved stairs, so...... Yeah. We can only write off $40,000 per year on taxes for remodeling too, so that is also a large factor. You are completely right about the fence. Once it is cleaned up, it won't look so icky. Possibly, I will plant a hedge there to hide. it. If the ivy hadn't been so horribly overgrown and messy, I would have left it. My husband is on a Mission to get the landscaping planned all of a sudden. Today, he was researching renting all of the Equipment to do the digging, tree trunk removal, grading, etc. He is actually on board with me to have the huge rocks moved back into the hillside by our front door to create a better entry and walkway. He has a good friend that is a professional landscaper and has volunteered to come over for a bottle of wine (or several) and bounce ideas with us. I know what I want, more or less, but budgeting it is another Story. I see my kitchen remodel getting pushed back farther and farther.... Oh well. Before we have the telescoping pool cover installed this spring, we have to have the Stones around the pool either re-set or replaced as well as adding a slab where it will rest whe completely open. Our neighbors to the west of us are going to start building their house in the spring and putting up a retaining wall to our grass Level (we sold them a couple of meters of land to increase the size of their driveway and they have to build a wall for us), so we Need to get the one we are going to put along the easement road on the North side done at the same time. Overall, we are increasing the size of the usable Yard where the Kids will Play. Just cutting down all of the trees and bushes made a huge difference, but the retainingwalls on 2 sides will increase the usable area by 3 to 4 feet one direction and 10 or so the other. No more slopes there.
Good luck with your kitchen. Cash is the way to go. I know the paint on the handles will likely peel, but there are so many handles, it would cost me at least $100 for new ones if I go the cheapest route and that isn't worth wasting the Money only to rip everything out in a few years. Although, I spray painted the handles on a buffet I found on the side of the road and they have yet to peel. My dad has it now. I painted the cabinet black and the handles silver. For about $5 in paint, the Family has had a great Piece for about 8 or 9 years now.
January 2, 2014 at 12:41pm     
Lori B
ruthmand, I don't mind that blue/gray Color either, but my hubby won't go for it. His Aunt's brother painted his modern house a slightly darker blue/gray and he makes fun of it all the time. I am likely to get stuck with boring and safe.
January 2, 2014 at 12:42pm     
Lori B
I just want to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post and share their ideas and suggestions with me. I really appreciate all of the effort and advice. My husband and I are working hard to get things done and we have so many new possiblilties that we would never have come up with on our own.
January 2, 2014 at 12:51pm     
omagnes
Dear Lori,

You have done an amazing job with the inside. Your house has character and is in a nice location. There are however two areas I would like to give my 2- cents worth of advise to. The kitchen: until you totally renew you can go ahead with your idea to paint the cabinets white, and look into wallpaper for above the yellow tiles. A soft pastel pale yellow/white stripe for example. Only looking through 100's wallpaper-books might inspire .
The planters: the sandblasting has improved the looks. But what is the cause for the discoloring? Mildew? Before filling the planters have someone look if the drainage is working appropriately. I could see them covered with horizontal wood planks ( cedar) and while you are at it cover the garage door and the front-door with similar planks or replace them to achieve that look . The rest of the house painted , you got already many good suggestions. Finishing touch : fill those planters with lots of flowery hanging plants. What is a Swiss house without geraniums? Good luck and enjoy !
January 2, 2014 at 1:24pm        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
w110129, I have been wondering about the Drainage on the planters myself. you can't really see that well in the photos, but there are These small pipes sticking out of the stucco on the planters for Drainage. Looks terrible. I plan to cut those off and seal them up, then run new Drainage through the adjoining sides and then out on the side of the house. I want the front to be clean. I am also thinking of extending whatever I use to cover the planters with to over the front door. At the Moment, the planter Ends and cuts back to the angled wall below the window and doesn't look that nice over the door. I would like to add a Piece of glass (maybe) over the door to use as a focal Point to easier draw Attention to where exactly the door is. The only way to attach something above is to make the space above the door solid or it won't work. See links below. http://www.feeneyinc.com/Architectural/Lightline-Curve-Canopy

Front door awnings#hzfooter3464972{overflow:hidden !important;transition:height 0.8s ease 0.5s;-webkit-transition:height 0.8s ease 0.5s;} #hzfooter3464972:hover{overflow-y:auto !important;height:51px!important;}Architecture, interior design, and more ∨From kitchens to the living room, window treatments add a finishing touch to any room in the house.Work with a home decorator when choosing a rug or hanging new blinds in your home.
http://canopiessouthwest.co.uk/glass-canopies-c-44.html
January 2, 2014 at 1:53pm   
mickisue
Lori, you have done so much already! And I understand dealing with a spouse whose taste runs more conservative than one's own...one thing I have done with pretty consistent success is just to keep showing him, over and over, pictures and examples of things that I like.

It seems like the biggest issue with people who want to stay "safe" in decorating is that they are not comfortable using colors/textures etc that are unfamiliar to them. If you make them familiar by repetition, they're OK with it. DH was appalled when I said that I wanted to paint the trim, but likes it now. He couldn't understand why I wanted to stain cabinets Java, but was very happy with the results. And THEN, when I changed up and went with a dark cherry for the other bathrooms and the laundry room, he was REALLY dubious--but loves the way the powder room looks.

Once YOU figure out what you are looking for, inundate him with images of it. Even the pale color on the fascia of your house, which I think would instantly make the whole place look both more attractive and more imposing VS heavy.
January 2, 2014 at 4:00pm        Thanked by Lori B
santoslhauper
Given the drainage and access issues, I'd just not put plants there. Get a local artist to make a sculpture you can put there. Especially an emerging artist, they should jump at the chance to do something that scale and that visible. Something with colored glass bits and steel would look great.
Or buy some sculptures already made, or put something else in there that doesn't need maintenance or drainage (fake plants?).
January 2, 2014 at 4:07pm      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Mickisue, you are so right. The backyard has a small Pond that my husband has been wanting to remove. I have refused. We don't Need any more seating Areas. It is a large Yard. I told him I wanted to make it into a nice water Feature and put Stones, maybe a wall around part of it. Add some fish (Kids are asking), etc. Finally today he asked me if I wanted to make a water Feature out of it. Um, yes. I have been saying that. :-) The Repetition and sticking to my guns may be working. It did with getting the mosaic tile in the bathroom. He won't ever go for a bright or wild Color, but I'm working on him.
January 2, 2014 at 4:09pm     
santoslhauper
blue white and concrete?
January 2, 2014 at 4:47pm        Thanked by Lori B
apple_pie_order
Leave a favorite house-color photo on the fridge. After a few months, it will seem familiar.

Do the windows need to be painted by next summer if they are peeling and chipping now? Can you get away with painting just the windows and not the rest? If scaffolding is required, that is a significant part of the paint bid.
January 2, 2014 at 4:51pm     
reesip
Really great house. Pull the fence down and stain the cement surround to blend with roof.
January 2, 2014 at 5:28pm      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
We are thinking of getting some sample paints and taking Advantage of the enclosed Patio behind the retaining wall to test them out and see what we think. Of course, we can't even do that until at least April and I am sure we will be able to find plenty of inside Projects to Keep us busy until then. We haven't painted the Fitness room yet, or our kids' bathroom, so those Need to get done. There is also a sink in our Office that I think will be removed sooner, rather than later.
santoslhauper, I have seen a few houses with the dark nautical blue and White trim. I am pretty sure my husband and his mother would have a heart attack, but I like the bold Statement.
January 3, 2014 at 2:59am   
Rachelle Plantagenet
Hi Lori, i was thinking about your planters and if they are able to support weight then you could remove the inner cement wall from the parts just outside each window and make them into small balconies between each grassed/planted section. The small balconies would be really cute and practical to tend to the planters on each side. You also wouldn't have a problem with the plantings obscuring the view. Just a thought. BTW love your window in your bathroom and all the angles- it really has that wow factor.
January 3, 2014 at 11:10am        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Hi Rachelle, I probably could do that because the planters are pretty solid. I climb out the Windows to clean and that's how I dug out the giant root balls from old, dead bushes that were in there before. It would be a hassle though since you would still have to climb out hte window. I like the window in our bathroom too. From the outside, I didn't like it, but inside, it makes a big difference. We had our tile guy put some of the large wall tile (same as the floor, but larger) on the ledge. Now to get a tall grassy plant to sit there...
January 3, 2014 at 12:00pm   
Vicki Bauer
It's been a few days since I've been here but I want to say the acid-orange is a lot prettier than it sounds. It reminds me of copper and who doesn't love copper? If I were using that for the trim work, I would used a mossy gray-green for the stucco. This house will be fabulous when finished and I'd love to follow its progress. Maybe Lori B could set up a blog. ;-) How 'bout that, Lori? It would be a scrapbook for you and really fun for the rest of us. -v
January 3, 2014 at 4:44pm        Thanked by Lori B
Sara Parker
In the meantime, try scrubbing the planters and any other moldy looking areas with a mixture of 1 part bleach and 10 parts water. It's amazing how much better most things then look. It also helps prep for painting if still needed.
January 3, 2014 at 5:02pm      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Thanks Vicki. I don't have a clue how to blog. Computers don't really like me very much. ha ha
Sara, thanks for the tip. It is raining like crazy here and has been or I would be outside working. Next week maybe.....
January 4, 2014 at 12:15pm   
Lori B
Whoops! I nearly forgot. My husband spoke with our painter about the trim on the house. He said he could paint it, but it won't last more than 5 years. It is metal, so not worth the effort and expense. Bummer. Well, we are stuck with the really dark Brown metal trim up high. I haven't really looked closely to see exactly what all it is covering, but enough to Limit our Options a bit more. My husband is definately leaning towards a White for the house and a dark Color (grayish Brown Family) for the Windows. He also suggested White on White. I don't think so. I am so glad we have months to go before we have to make a decision on this.
January 4, 2014 at 12:31pm   
okdokegal
Lori B, just found this and wow. I commend you on such a house, with location and potential. Kudos on what you've gotten done on it so far. Sympathize with an ambiguous jungle to tame; and all those outside issues too. Looks like you're rolling along well on all fronts though. I also sympathize with that kitchen, if there is any way to give those tiles a dressing over or camoflague until you can give the kitchen it's turn. I love the cabinets and counters, maybe you only have to do a partial (banishing those tiles) ? Good luck and keep up the great work (here it was shirtsleeves yesterday, today freezing and socked and impending snow. Just conserve your energy for next nice day to get out there...)
January 4, 2014 at 12:54pm        Thanked by Lori B
RosemaryR
Oh no on painting house white. Is do what someone else suggested-start posting px of colors of house you like on the fridge. You don't have to say anything, just post them.
January 4, 2014 at 1:04pm     
Lori B
Our neighbor to the south of us brought over a bottle of wine. He is thrilled we have been cutting down the jungle. Especially the giant pine tree that dropped needles and mess all over his Yard and Roof. His kitchen window Looks up to our planters and front side Yard. He never has to worry about another big tree falling on his outdoor fireplace again.
January 4, 2014 at 1:05pm     
sunnydrew
You have way to many comments, but I wanted to say that your home looks most interesting. What a great score!
January 4, 2014 at 1:07pm      Thanked by Lori B
mickisue
You may not be able to paint the metal trim, but there are washes for metal that can change the color chemically. I don't know enough about them to point you in the right direction, to be honest, but that's what google is for, right?
January 4, 2014 at 1:09pm      Thanked by Lori B
Dar Eckert
Love this house! Sorry I didn't read all the other comments but would love to see the house painted light gray, the brown trim charcoal color, trim around windows black. Also, paint the dormer light gray background color, instead of painting the entire dormer one color as it is now.

Power wash the deck railing or paint same color as trim or color of body of house.
January 4, 2014 at 1:14pm     
Lori B
thanks mickisue. I will get to googling. That would be nice. it might be too expensive since the Roof us so high up. Renting to Equipment may be cost prohibitive. Have to wait and see. I think my husband may be wanting to do the landscaping before painting now. He seems to be pushing that Agenda this week. I think his list is a bit too expensive and no way we have the time to get it all done in one Spring and Summer.
January 4, 2014 at 1:16pm   
apple_pie_order
Which trim is metal? I thought the windows were painted wood.
January 4, 2014 at 2:13pm   
Lori B
The dark Brown trim at the roofline and on the small dormer? windows. The actual Windows are Wood painted with the ugly blue.
January 4, 2014 at 2:15pm   
apple_pie_order
So all the brown is metal and the blue is wood? And the roof is classic terracotta tile? If you have an extra terracotta tile in the garage, you can take it with you when picking up paint chips.
January 4, 2014 at 2:24pm   
Lori B
You are correct, however I'm not sure how to describe the tile. It is typical Swiss. We don't have any spare tiles. The stores that have some paint have very few paint chips. Makes me really miss the USA. We will order the paint from the painter (he's a customer of my husbands and that's how Business works here). I will have to look through his book of Colors and pick something. The best I can do is get a few small sample cans to try out. It was really hard doing that when selecting the Colors for my kids' Accent walls in their rooms.
January 4, 2014 at 2:29pm   
mickisue
Lori B, I found this: http://www.thepaintedsurface.com/how-to-paint-siding.php. It may help; you could check into it, anyway. It's about siding, not fascia, but I imagine the general rules are the same.
January 4, 2014 at 2:33pm      Thanked by Lori B
Vicki Bauer
If mildew is a problem, and it appears to be, I'd stay away from very light colors (including white).
January 5, 2014 at 1:08pm        Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
We are going to go and have a look at large Stones to add to the wall by the front door once we move it back (to the North into the hillside) 3 to 5 feet. The Color Options available (hoping we can match what is already there) will have an Impact on the paint Options we select for the house. I think my husband and I are both in Agreement that we want to creat a walkway to the front door and are looking at ideas for that now as well. There are a couple of companies in the area that have local Stone. I am hoping to tie it all in together. We might make it to one of the Showrooms in a week or so.
January 5, 2014 at 1:10pm     
Lori B
Vicky, I'm not convinced there is a problem. Aside from the home not being taken care of for years. The rain gutters were blocked with leaves and ick. The Yard had a crazy amount of trees and overgrown bushes that are now gone. Most of the houses around here are White or very light Colors and they don't have These Problems. The difference is manitenance. I am hesitant to entertain the idea of a darker Color because it is so gloomy and gray here most of the winter. We are working to clean up everything on the exterior and having the house pressure washed is going to be one of the last things. I seriously doubt anything has been done since it was built in 1985. They had a gardener for years, but clearly didn't in the last 10 years and never paid for things like 'spring cleaning'. It took me 3 days to clean the kitchen. We won't be able to paint until May at the earliest, so we definately have time to see where the Areas are that Need to be addressed.
January 5, 2014 at 1:33pm     
kevin1966
Have you considered cladding the ground floor in a natural stone veneer...it will tie the wall into the earth.
Maybe also clad the cantilevered balcony with a wood plank siding...mabe a horizontal stained cedar or eucalyptus
and the unusual windows with the unique geometry should be painted a bright primary color...maybe red or purple...the rest of the windows should be a muted version of theat primary color...

just a few ideas from Vicki's son
January 5, 2014 at 4:35pm     
houseatthelake
I would do a dark brown like your eves or even black for your window trim. Actually I don't think your house is really ugly at all! Maybe some stone veneer could be placed on the house. Is that a cement planter that runs around the house? Some stone veneer could dress it up.
January 5, 2014 at 5:46pm      Thanked by Lori B
Vicki Bauer
Lori, your gloomy and gray comment completely got your dilemma across loud and clear. I started thinking of the homes in Greenland. Talk about gloomy in the winter and dark! They have to have color.

Check out these houses ;-) http://travelvista.net/colorful-houses-of-greenland-towns

About one quarter down on this link is color I would love to have if not already in a red brick neighborhood http://www.pinterest.com/pin/547398529678130553/

I'm also attaching some pictures I found while browsing. You may just find a little inspiration here.

My son Kevin is an architect and landscape architect. I know he would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. He has had a lot of experience designing very high end homes in Dallas, TX.

I am enjoying following your adventure in the Alps. What a wonderful experience this is for your whole family. ;-)
January 5, 2014 at 8:23pm        Thanked by Lori B
chookchook2
Vicks, love the colour on those houses. We do colour here. Our strong sun makes it look lighter in Summer, and its cheery in Winter.
January 5, 2014 at 8:42pm     
chookchook2
Typed Vicki, not Vicks.
January 5, 2014 at 8:58pm     
Shauna Cowley Filtz
Have you checked out eBay for kitchen hardware? I totally scored my kitchen hardware for half the cost of the big box retailers here in Canada. The paint situation does not seem conducive to DIY! How about designers? Would they have paint fans with all the colour chips? Sometimes it takes an objective 3rd party to find a common middle ground between spouses working on design together. My understanding is there may be a consulting fee for this service but should help you and the spouse get on the same page. Might be worth investigating and they may have a larger network of trades to draw from. Food for thought! My hubs and I struggled with tile for our kitchen Reno until we went to a tile shop (not big box) and an agent, not on commission, took the time to hear what we both liked and disliked about each other's choices and made suggestions from there. We couldn't be happier! Now for our contractor to install it...
January 5, 2014 at 9:47pm     
mickisue
Other sources for cabinet pulls are pulls.com and tailofthelion.com. The second one has hinges for about 35% less than any other site I could find.

I know you're in the EU, but possibly, if you see something you like on one of those sites, a family member here in the US could send them to you? The cost is so much less that it should make the cost of shipping worth it.
January 6, 2014 at 9:04am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
I got sucked in to a few Websites on drawer pulls. Searching for accessories and interesting pieces of furniture or rugs is time consuming. Ick.
January 6, 2014 at 2:24pm   
mickisue
Yeah, that happens, LOL. I spent two hours last night looking at granite and quartzite.
January 6, 2014 at 2:44pm   
Go Nautical Collections
You can visit http://gonautical.com for nautical theme decorating and ideas.
January 9, 2014 at 7:37pm     
chookchook2
Nice shop, Nautical.
January 10, 2014 at 2:00am   
Vicki Bauer
Lori, are you interested in going nautical?
January 10, 2014 at 7:56am   
Lori B
Vicki, I hadn't really thought about it. Someone posted a Picture of the house dark blue up the thread somewhere. My husband said no way. I love beach houses being from the coast myself, but we are landlocked and backed up to a forest.
January 10, 2014 at 8:25am     
Dar Eckert
I'm thinking your home would look great in this burnt sienna color. Keep brown trim. Cream color around windows or use black.

January 10, 2014 at 8:27am     
Lori B
Dar Eckert, I like that Color. There is a house in town with it, but it is probably too much for my husband. He might have a heart attack if I try to brighten up the house too much.
January 10, 2014 at 8:37am     
Dar Eckert
Yes, we have one in town with that color and it really looks quite conservative. Well, I'll keep my eyes open for other nice color combinations.
January 10, 2014 at 9:30am      Thanked by Lori B
Dar Eckert
Here's a lovely color of stucco & much more traditional. I think the pale color will pop in the dreary winter. You know, once the stucco is power washed, maybe you won't need to paint it. Then just paint the trim a lighter more carmel color and the window frames cream.
Check out stucco houses on Houzz. It seems the majority are yellows, blues, and white.

Garden House
Lake Country Builders
January 10, 2014 at 10:36am        Thanked by Lori B
Totally Custom Wallpaper
You are doing a great job with the colors in the interior!
January 10, 2014 at 12:52pm   
Vicki Bauer
Lori, that blue is stunning with the white trim. I don't know if it would stand out with the brown eaves. I like the suggestions that Dar made. Burnt sienna is beautiful. Can your expert with the computer show the house painted that color? I just checked and the color is also represented in that last collection of ideas I sent.

I also like Dar's second suggestion. The combination of the yellow/gold with caramel door and I assume planter would be lovely with the cream trim on windows.

Of one thing I'm sure, you need color, not white. White in the winter will be so bland and depressing (at least it would be to me). The brick accents on the steps to the door is a nice touch too.
January 10, 2014 at 3:36pm     
santoslhauper
I'm no expert, but here's burnt sienna
January 10, 2014 at 4:36pm        Thanked by Lori B
dezign interiors, llc
I know it's not a Tudor, but use an updated Tudor colour scheme for inspiration ... and get rid of the blue.

January 10, 2014 at 4:50pm     
RosemaryR
You should check out Maria Killam's blog, she's a color consultant based in Canada. She might be able to help you out.
January 10, 2014 at 4:55pm      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B I'm a southern cal girl who LOOVES (oprah voice) your modern chalet with the funky tile roof. For budget reasons and swiss mil reasons . . .let's go play with color. If you take your givens - brown eaves, concrete planters, dark red tile roof then let's slay things one at a time.
Let's imagine that you could paint all your windows red -red-orange and the windows in a bright echoing the roof and your front door echos them but even deeper and richer. Now, you can pick out a pale taupe brown-gray for the body that is kind of modern and kind of plain and pale enough to fit in subtly.

Here are the colors online that you can print out - at least they have RGB values for your local guy to copy and light reflective values too . . I think sw is in europe / has european partners who carry their formulas. . . website says they are available thru europe and to email globalsales@sherwin.com . Your roof is closest to sw brick paver http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7599-brick-paver/
so your windows need to go a bit deeper sw cajun red http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0008-cajun-red/
and your front door deeper still sw roycroft copper red http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW2839-roycroft-copper-red/
on the body of the house - the stucco gets sw mindful gray http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7016-mindful-gray/
but the garage door and possibly the entire lower level below the planter there and around the side that is made of concrete instead of stucco / looks like a different material / color comes through - go one shade deeper there / another modern touch – tonal blocking http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7017-dorian-gray/
Just looking back to double check and see that grover axle already posted general neutral concept with rusty orange windows - these shades are perhaps a bit more red-orange so that they will pop and feel a little more modern. He gave you tan and I tried to go gray-brown but the ideas are close so I need to give him a shout out.
ps. i like your front door very much - it has the neat triangle echo of your pop outs. In copper red it would be amazingly charming and modern and also still simple as befits your neighborhood. You go girl!
January 10, 2014 at 6:01pm        Thanked by Lori B
mpmoates
Since you like modern and your interior is very modern, why not use a modern color scheme on the outside? The house has a lot of very interesting angles which could be played up with color. Paint the body in some shade of white, the concrete band in a color to match the roof tiles or even brighter. Since the trim will stay dark brown don't fight it, but work with it. Add one or two more bright colors for accents. In the planters I would plant a few cascading plants that remain alive in the winter. Perhaps some type of juniper. In the spring you could add a few seasonal plants in pots that would look good from the interior view.
January 10, 2014 at 6:06pm        Thanked by Lori B
happyasaclam
I'm so happy to have found this discussion! I love your home and I think what you've accomplished so far is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you do next. Keep posting pictures :)
January 10, 2014 at 6:20pm      Thanked by Lori B
nwduck
LoriB: Greetings from the mossy, mildewy Pac NW! After reading through suggestions, I had a couple more thoughts. Well, besides the one that having your own powerwasher will be a godsend. To combat similar conditions, we use warm or hot water (yes, tedious) with this mixture: 5 gallons water, 1 cup bleach, 1/2 cup TSP, a couple tablespoons of liquid dish detergent. Splash or otherwise apply to icky surface. Let sit about 15 minutes. Use stiff broom to do a little scrub, THEN powerwash. I think this would help the large planter boxes immensely. We use it on our rough stone patio, the driveway, all concrete. Cuts powerwash time considerably.

The color schemes groveraxle and libradesigneye seem a natural....the brownish tone with orangeish accents. I might consider painting the planter band brown as the trim, if for no other reason than inevitable ick will not show as much. You might consider doing a vertical timbered wood door, with the wood in tones of the brown and orange, with a horizontal window cutout at the top. If you do pull back the landscape by the door...which is a good notion...I might look for a standout kind of light fixture to install in the landscape. Something unusual and modern. Or, add a large piece of metal art to your taste, uplit with landscape lighting in that area. Perhaps there is a wood, metal or paint treatment you could do on the underside of the planters that would spiff up the look from ground level.

I saw up above you were considering cutting off the drainage and capping it, doing some other not-as-visible drainage. As a commercial property manager of masonry buildings, could I strongly suggest you consult someone local before you do that yourself? There is likely a good reason they were done that way, having to do with keeping the structural integrity of the masonry boxes in your climate. At the least, you would want to get the drainslope right if you altered it. If you did paint the boxes dark, I think the drainage bits might fade from sight.

One last off-the-wall idea...something we see here are more artistic treatments of downspouts. Not that this firm would be of help to you, as they are in Battleground, Washington, but for fun look at Art of Rain. Maybe the concept, executed locally in your style, could add a little jewelry to your Alpine hideaway.
January 10, 2014 at 8:42pm        Thanked by Lori B
Zoltan Construction LLC
This house is got to be in Europe somewhere.
January 10, 2014 at 9:49pm     
Dar Eckert
Sansaulhauper can you redo the photoshop and make the trim tan?
January 11, 2014 at 6:49am   
cohoek
Could it be possible te shorten de wooden fence? Anyone good at using a chainsaw ? It looks weird that you can't see the whole house. Please consider the weather when choosing a color, the sun doesn't always shine and greys tend to look depressing, think of east Germany. Look around you and see what other people have chosen and try to find out what works wel. I find that the cream stone works wel in France, red brick looks wel in Holland against the grey skies, where I live now. Both of these colors used te be the only choice in history but both are beautiful and work wel in these countries. In New York barn red looks beautiful against all the green trees and grey stone. In England people paint their houses pink, this wil not go wel with the swiss, me think. In Holland it wouldn't be allowed, the swiss have many rules too, you might want to look into this before painting.
January 11, 2014 at 8:34am      Thanked by Lori B
cohoek
Just saw your kitchen. I love the yellow tiles and if your kitchen is dark i would leave the tile and change everthing else. The yellow makes it sunny. Picture white cabinets with yellow tiles, and RVS appliances, a match made in heaven, you might want to regrout. Or maybe the grout is dirty? There is a mould that looks peachy!
January 11, 2014 at 8:49am   
cohoek
What about painting the flower boxes in the same shade as the house? In the picture the lower part of the house has a more mustard color than the top, when mixing a cream or beige color you will always have to wacht out using red in the paint because this wil always give a pinkish hue.( learned that lesson the hard way!) I think the problem is not the color of the house but the color of the windows. I think a ton sur ton is your best bet. In one foto you see a part of a house behind you, they have done something similar, and it looks great. Because you have to keep the brown i wouldn't introduce a third color but would keep it subtle. Americans have the tendency to have alot of trim in contrasting colors, kind of looks like my childrens dool house. I think this fad will some pass.....Actually you don't have to choose anything, you have to find out what you can't do. This is much easier, having to much to choose is very difficult.
January 11, 2014 at 9:13am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Wow Vicki, you have been busy. Thank you very much for the links. I will definately be keeping the Hardware we currently have because I just don't want to spend any Money I don't have to until we are ready to gut the kitchen.
January 11, 2014 at 2:44pm   
Lori B
cohoek, thank your for all of your suggestions. Those yellow kitchen tiles are going bye bye. My best friend is from Holland and she LOVES those tiles. I told her she was welcome to remove them and take them home. The grout is actually the peachy Color. Sort of like a light terra cotta. It is chipped and broken in several places. My friend suggested doing a Treatment over the grout in White, but I just want to cover them up completely. They match nothing and really clash with the countertops. Since I can't get rid of the countertops anytime soon.....
We don't have any painting restrictions on our homes here. Maybe they do for the really old buildings, but ours isn't old. Most of the buildings with red tile roofs here are painted a similar Color to ours, White or pink shades. I have seen a couple in light green or blue as well. None of them look that good. I think the White Looks the best with a darker window trim. We have a yellowish local Stone that I am pretty sure is what is by our front door. I was attempting to pressure wash a bit if it this morning and it seemed to have a lot of yellow in it. I will have to get a brush to scrub off the moss.
I agree with you about the window Color. It was a huge drawback to me when we first saw the house. They even had it inside of the house on door trim and the stair railing. We had one window replaced in the stairwell and it is currently White. It Looks a thousand times better than the blue.
January 11, 2014 at 2:56pm   
lofshrewsbury
I like the house color but would paint the dormers and flower box the same color as the house. The house would look taller & the flower box would be minimized. The trim color is nice but faded. Pump that up!
Greatheighto the house andEven the trim color is nice but looks faded. I would pump up that color. J
January 12, 2014 at 3:48am      Thanked by Lori B
Rachelle Plantagenet
Hi Lori, did you end up putting a drawer under your bathroom vanity shelf?
February 5, 2014 at 6:20am   
heatgirl
I think your house is really great and has a ton of potential. Good luck and can't wait to see how it turns out!!
February 5, 2014 at 6:52am      Thanked by Lori B
Lori B
Rachelle, we haven't put a drawer in yet. I don't know if we are going to. The bathroom isn't completely finished yet, so we aren't using it. We are going to order a shallow cabinet to put on the wall across from the cabinet, on the other side of the window. We have been busy Clearing more bushes outside and getting ready to bring in some heavy Equipment to Level the back Yard, rip out tree trunks and move the huge rocks by our front door back into the hillside to give us more of a designated walkway. The inside of the house is sort of on hold. I have started working on curtains for the Kids rooms though. Winter sports are occupying a lot of our time at the Moment as well.
February 5, 2014 at 7:00am   
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
need help in my kitchen
My floors cannot be changed, they are terra stone....
What's your biggest layout pet peeve?
Do you cringe at jack and jill bathrooms? Break into...
open floor plan kinda
So we are about to move into our first home. idk where...