murphykara
January 23, 2012 in Photo Questions
Beautiful kitchen. We are building a new house and I love the look of these wood floors in a white kitchen. But we're putting in walnut elsewhere on the same floor and I'm worried that the wood will be too soft for all the wear and tear that a kitchen gets. What kind of wood is this? Maybe go for tile instead?
Carrie Lucke
We had the same debate in our kitchen remodel. We opted for white oak stained very dark. I am very happy with the result. The white oak is quite hard. We did a custom stain with our installer. we sat down together on the bare floor and mixes stains. He took his darkest stain and added a black ebony color to make it darker. We played with 4-5 formulas until I was happy that it was dark enough. It works well because when you darken the stain so much it really hides the "oaky" grains of the oak floor- yet you get a good hard floor. Good Luck.
1 Like   January 23, 2012 at 3:14PM
cmitrano
Have been looking at floors and am drawn to the darker floors but worry about maintance/ cleaning. Does the dark color tend to show dust, crumbs ect. I have three growing, messy boys :)
0 Likes   March 31, 2012 at 6:55PM
ikeltz
We have German white oak stained a dark coffee color in our kitchen, and I love it! It does show crumbs and things, but I give it a good sweep everyday. I love it so much I don't mind the upkeep. It really is not so bad.
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 7:12PM
Need Advice on updated 50s bathroom with great sinks!
We are planning to do a mini facelift on our master...
Room makeover advice to contemporary
Just bought new house and want a contemporary style....
Craftsman Exterior Paint/design Ideas Please!
We'd love your suggestions for exterior color and design...
What is the best way to install cabinet crown molding?
I am working on a laundry room cabinet installation...
Foyer orb light height - 4.75" chain ok?
Here is my foyer in progress. I am leaning towards...