I want to see under your stairs!
LoobyGuru
The space under my stairs is a dumping ground for coats, hats, shoes, and is an embarrassment! I need to create some useful storage that will swallow up this mess. We're on a tight budget and will be doing it ourselves. Please show me what you've done with the space under your stairs. How is it working for you? Would you do anything differently next time? Thanks!
Would be more useful if you show us your own space.
December 29, 2013 at 5:17pm   
okdokegal
Space under stairs goes well with a few angled to fit cabinets with doors under the lower parts of the stairs and where it approaches person height, can become closet. Some cubbys under the lowest third to swallow shoes, galoshes, folded umbrellas, etc... mid section might have drawers to store sweaters, mittens, caps, that need to be stored until weather dictates; and the tallest third as closet to eat the coats. I don't have any stairs right now that need treatment, but....
December 29, 2013 at 5:37pm     
hayleydaniels
Hang a rod to make a small coat closet, and put a board on top for hats and gloves. Shoes go under the coats. The rest of the stuff needs to be put where it should go, not thrown in there out of the way if you want to keep it neat and clean.
December 29, 2013 at 5:59pm     
Closet Experts
Install hanging rod across about 13" from door at 64" height if possible. If room above mount shelf across 3" above rod. If additional hanging needed, mount additional rod 24" behind first rod 42" high if possible. Front rod for current jackets and long coats. Rear rod for seasonal jackets. Build shelves 12" deep, 18-20" wide, in appropriate heights to fit along one side wall to store shoes, hats, gloves.
December 29, 2013 at 8:16pm     
Closet Experts
Shelves usually better on hinge side of opening.
December 29, 2013 at 8:18pm     
Beryl Koster
Mine is lined with shelves and just enough room to walk, I store everything in see thru plastic boxes with lids.....mostly fabrics, and other sewing and craft bits. Lowest section is for suitcases and winter quilts......but grand kids think it is a cubby house!
December 29, 2013 at 11:30pm     
acacia flooring???
We are considering using solid acacia flooring throughout...
POLL: Carpet or Hardwood?
Do you prefer carpet or hardwood as your go-to flooring...
Need help on deciding what type of door
I am thinking about putting a door between the second...
What can I do with this wall??
I have no ideas for this wall!! I have had put things...
Granite counter and backsplash help
If I keep my existing cabinets and flooring what color...