What should I do with the corner?
Ashley Bowman
My couch is positioned in front of a corner of the room. I have some wasted space behind the couch. I am just wondering how I should decorate/utilize the space.
hayleydaniels
You could put a small sofa table back there to put knick knacks and the like on. I would also put up some pictures or art work on both walls to add visual interest to the corner.
December 29, 2013 at 5:54pm   
handymam
Is the couch angled? Maybe you could rearrange the furniture so that it could fit against a wall. Can you show pics of the whole room?
December 29, 2013 at 5:58pm   
Ashley Bowman
Yes it is angled. The way the the room is designed and how out tv has to be placed.... It works better angled. (Forgive the Xmas mess)
December 29, 2013 at 6:06pm   
handymam
Can you show the tv wall? It looks like a large room...
December 29, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Nice space, but why is everything against the walls? I'm thinking once you have the tree out of the way you need to repost and let Houzzers help you rearrange.
December 29, 2013 at 6:16pm     
handymam
I agree deco, it looks like a large space that needs to be rearranged differently.
December 29, 2013 at 6:21pm     
Ashley Bowman
It is a large space and you have to go thru the living room to get to the kitchen.... So there has to be an open flow to the room but I am open to suggestions with furniture rearrangement!
December 29, 2013 at 6:27pm   
abbyjean
I really think you will like the couch wall better if the couch is flat against the wall instead of angled. Center it and it should be just fine and still work with seeing the tv ok.
December 29, 2013 at 6:41pm     
handymam
See, I don't even understand why the couch is shoved into the corner like that at all anyway. There is plenty of room there for it to be moved away from the corner and go flat against the wall. I do think your tv stand is too small for your tv...
December 29, 2013 at 6:48pm   
Ashley Bowman
Here is the layout of out living room.
December 29, 2013 at 7:27pm   
I think this is one of the few times when I'd suggest TV over the FP. Remove the shelf for doing that, but if the TV is wider than the FP then simply replace the small furniture holding it with a properly sized credenza (25% wider than the TV) and leave it where it is now. Either way, pull your sofa forward out of the corner so it is parallel to the FP and leaves 2.5 feet between the back corner of the sofa and the slider or French doors. Coffee table 18" in front of the sofa and your chair to the right of the sofa and 18" away from the coffee table. That would almost be where it is now. Move the bookcase to the right of the slider/door in the corner your dilemma was concerned about. You might actually angle it in the corner so it is parallel to and counter balances the FP. You have space for more furniture, so if finances allow (now or later) replace your chair with a pair of swivel chairs that will flank the sofa, facing each other over the coffee table. Continue to float the furniture, adding a grounding area rug for the seating, and use the walls for casegoods. The long wall could work for a large lighted bookcase system with decor and a chaise for a reading spot. The shorter wall by the kitchen could use a console table with art above and a pair of lamps. If you're inclined to do so, the long wall might look nice painted in a lighter shade from the same color strip card as your green wall color, and you could make it an art gallery wall for now. Cherry Hills Western Eclectic AJP Design System: Normandy Island Residence Hallway
December 30, 2013 at 6:49am   
Shevaun Handley
Corners can either be a bane for furniture arrangement or a blessing. First thing I'd do is to put that coffee table against a wall or at least out of the way as it does nothing for the flow of the room. Second. I'd place the couch (sorry, Australian vernacular for a sofa) closer to the fireplace making the flow of movement from the kitchen behind the sofa, rather than in front and then place the tv flat against the wall. After years of having to live with TVs in the corner, it is an arrangement I really dislike. But my opinion is to zone that large living space utilizing your furniture. Try several different arrangements to find what fits you best, but do try to have a flow to the area (feng shui books are awesome for this, forgetting all the luck bizzo)
December 30, 2013 at 7:17am     
sunnydrew
I agree that the room is large and under-utilized. I would suggest this-
1. Angle the couch so it is parallel to/in front of the fireplace in the middle of the room. You can walk around the back to the kitchen. Add a coffee table and end tables.
2. Perpendicular to the couch add 1 or 2 comfortable chairs that are not huge recliners. You can watch TV from either place. Now you add a floor lamp in between or table with lamp for reading if enough room. You have to snake the electrical cords to the closest outlets that are not a hazard.
3. Put a slim table behind the couch. That can provide a place for family photos or lamps or a place for the kids to sit up to and color or whatever.
4. on the big empty wall where the couch was near, before, you can create another seating area with small chairs ( extras from dining room?) and a table.

The drawing is very crude, but gives you an idea. I don't know how it will convey to posting, but I will try. I need to get to work putting away my decorations.
December 30, 2013 at 7:36am     
Ashley Bowman
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try it out on my day off this week
December 30, 2013 at 2:41pm   
sunnydrew
Post some pics after you try .
December 30, 2013 at 2:54pm   
There are so many more efficient ways to arrange your furniture, all of them by floating it away from the walls.
December 30, 2013 at 3:37pm     
One more:
December 30, 2013 at 3:40pm     
And deco has some great ideas above for the now empty wall.
December 30, 2013 at 3:41pm   
kids3018
Maybe you could hang the tv above the fireplace.
December 30, 2013 at 3:43pm   
abbyjean
Like the idea of the bookshelf by the dining area being moved to that back wall and a cozy little reading corner being set up there.
December 30, 2013 at 3:48pm   
What should I do with this corner?
My mom says it needs something, and I don't agree....
What should I do with this corner fireplace?
We are in the middle of renovating this 60's ranch...
What should i put in this corner?
Im currently renovating my kitchen and living room...
What size should I make my shower corner bench?
Please see the attached floor plan for my master bath....
mixing furniture in the bedroom
I need some advice on how to mix furniture. I do not...
replace tile with copper - pics of the existing tile counter
This are the pics of my counter that I want to replace...
DIY wall art color idea
Hi......I moved recently and this is a picture of my...
Do you decorate your home for Easter?
Do you decorate to celebrate Easter at your house?...