Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollyjade88

Need help with living room design?

hollyjade88
10 years ago
My living room is small and narrow. I can't seem to
Figure out a good furniture layout. I have 2
Small kids so I need comfy, roomy and easy to clean furniture!!! Please help!

Comments (85)

• hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh wow the barstool idea is a great idea!!! I never even thought of that!!! Would it
    Look
    Ok with my dining room table in there? And yes unfortunately this is our main living room.
    We have a small 3 bedroom ranch style house. The basement is unfinished but we
    Are looking to partially finish it. It recently flooded so we are trying to figure it out
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In posting 3 pictures!! One is kitchen facing the dining room, dining room facing the living room and dining room facing kitchen to give y'all a better idea!! Please excuse the mess! We are in the middle of taking down the wall!
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I would still say to keep your pony wall lower right about where the chair rail is. I would keep the opening the way it is also. It will be/already is evenly proportioned. The room/It does not look wide enough on either side of the door opening to work with a bar height counter as suggested above, Are you opening the other wall to the kitchen too? Forget my last post too.
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the layout of the house!! You can get to the dining room from the kitchen
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No I'm not!! It has a countertop and cabinets right there so it wouldn't work
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I don't know how big your dining room is….so I can't answer your question. You will have to measure. But, for the amount of space you are gaining……

I have another idea! Don't' know if you'd consider it.

What do you think of making the doorway from the dining room to the living room on the left side (side by the window). So, when you enter the front door, you turn left an walk down along the window and straight into the dining room.

Then, you close in the bottom half of the wall (including where the opening is now) and make that one long half wall.

So, doorway to left (all open). Rest of wall is a half wall with bar seats.

Then, you have a really nice big L space for the tv!

TV goes on wall where table used to be
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Actually, it would look like the photo I posted above---opening to the left/halfwall to the right. Only difference is that chairs would be on the dining room side.
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wish I had a better picture but this is the dining room before all the mess going on..
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That would probably be the best scenario but
    Not sure my husband will want to do all that!!! He does construction so he's
    Doing the half wall but I may be pushing it if I make him re arrange doorways haha!! We're hoping to use our money to finish our basement for a playroom for the kids so couches and rearranging things is about all we can afford
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Beautiful dining room! I can't tell from that one photo.

It would add a ton of value to your house…..so much more than just doing the half wall. But, I understand!!
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So without moving the doorway. Would the best option be to leave the tv on the wall it is now to to move it to the wall where the entry table is
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I think it really depends on how you look at it

move it to hall where entry table is:

-you have foot traffic to bedrooms, but you eliminate traffic from front door
    -you will be able to view tv from the dining room table (don't know if that's a plus or minus for you

leave where it is now

-traffic going to both bedrooms and dining room goes through seating arrangement
    -you block the window
    -first thing you see when you enter the room is the tv

Think of any other advantages/disadvantages.

Maybe try it with tv on the other wall and see how you like it? You have to lower tv anyway.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Stay away from a sectional. They cause about half of the design dilemmas. Remove the too small art objects from the walls in favor of something bigger.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    My choice would be to move the tv to where the entrance table is now.
    hollyjade88 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What if I left the tv where it was and stenciled that wall so when you walk in and see the tv it would kinda still be a design. Also, a big couch on the window wall and 2 chairs on each side of the tv-- would that look
    Weird since it doesn't face the tv?
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would need a bigger rug correct!? It's a 5x8 now! Would it be in the way of opening the front door!? Would it look ok if the rug didn't go all the way to the tv
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Stencil would not look good, in my opinion.

Move couch to where you want it and let's measure from there.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    CDR- can you draw what you are describing.?
    Leelee- having a long but narrow room really is the ideal space for a sectional, (as opposed to 2 identical couches.) Most of the seating is on one wall, which is what she needs in this case. It just has to be the right dimension for the room. It has to allow a walkway to the other rooms.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Holly, I really think your original plan with the half walls would help open the space. Since you can only access the kitchen by going through the dining room, you do need to keep an open path front the LR/front door. have we totally confused you yet :) ?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I do not have time to draw right now. Sorry. Certainly your sectional drawings are great options. I think the one with the sectional against the window is the best. I don't like furniture up against windows, but this room is very challenging and there aren't many options.

There are bisectionals. They allow for future rearranging the furniture. Just one example.

I just think she has to weigh what is most important to her.

[houzz=
    Gus Modern Spencer Loft Bi-Sectional Sofa, Totem Pebble · More Info
    ]
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Ok. You are right that she has to decide what works best for her family's use and I have offered enough now anyway. I would hope that she posts pix when the work is done. I like that couch above, but think it needs to be longer on the one side and shorter on the other that may end up on the pony wall. Just my opinion.
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank y'all so much!!! It definitely is a very difficult room!!! Y'all's help is much appreciated
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Sunny. You have done a ton of work. Holly if you could post tour progress we would greatly appreciate. Would be happy to continue to answer any questions
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In gonna post pictures after the wall is down and we paint- should be done by next week! What do y'all think of this couch and 2 chairs. It's microfiber so easy to clean! Or just the couch and 2 teal chairs! I love color
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    If you're buying a new sofa then get a small sofa and two chairs. Far more interesting than a matching set and easier to arrange than a sectional. In your narrow space stay away from an oversized chair like the one above.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    The wall can easily be patched with new drywall and paint for around $100-200. It would be worth it to have the TV lowered to the correct position. Your room won't look right until the TV is fixed.
  • leesadb
    10 years ago
    Ready for another opinion? I'd put a sofa that has 3 cushions in front of the window. Leave an opening for traffic going from the entrance door to the diningroom. Place the TV down on a TV console with shelves - same wall. Your husband can patch and paint the drywall! Have your other console table next to the wall on the right as you walk in for keys, mail, etc. You may have to take a few steps but so what. Get two smaller chairs to put at an angle facing towards the couch but on either side of the TV console. That gives you entertaining room for adult conversation to those who are seated on the couch. Personally, I don't like sectionals for the reason it seems like wasted space. You need a couch and two chairs. I would say consider swivel chairs but the kids would probably have a heyday on them, so stick with stationary chairs but smaller than the ones you show in your picture. Those arms will take up too much precious space. Have the chairs a different color than the couch. Draw those two colors in with art or some other piece - pillows, etc. I would not advise a bar with stools on the open wall unless it is to a kitchen. I don't think you have enough room for one from the look of your photo. I would probably put in a larger rug to accommodate the space under the livingroom grouping of couch/chairs/TV console. Put a runner rug from the outside door to the hall going past the console table beside the wall. There you have it! Hope this helps and good luck!
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much!!! I like that idea!!!! Seems like much less work than moving everything!!! Any color ideas!?? I will be painting the living room gray to Match the dining room. The color would need to match the dining room curtains bc I'm obsessed with them!!! I posted a picture if you scroll up!!! I also need a rug idea that's easy to clean and not light in color since the kids get everything messy
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Hi, I would not get the matching chairs to the couch. Look for a couch that is long but not so big in design, with comfortable arms that are smaller and in proportion. You do not want to end up with the same scenario of furniture that is just to big for that room. If you don't want to get a sectional, you can look for a couch that simply has an attached/detached ottoman or a built in chaise. that would act as the second side chair. It does not necessarily need a back if you use it as a chaise. that way you have seating and a place to put your feet up. then you need only one side chair. You can search for something here. I will give you an idea.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    If you look at some of these https://www.houzz.com/products/sofas-with-a-chaise-prbr0lbl-pl~l_146664 you will get the idea. Again you have to have the dimension of the room and the half wall where the chaise would be, assuming it is on the right-side end. this is probably better than a true sectional. having the legs and underneath show rather than fabric front to the floor will help open the space too.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I think leesadb's idea would work. I thought you were stuck on having more chairs to view the tv.

As many have said, you need to think "small scale furniture". The ones you chose above are large and bulky.

Don't buy furniture with the drape color. Instead, add pillows in the tangerine color. In a few years, you don't want to be stuck with a tangerine chair that you are tired of.

Pier One sells smaller scale furniture.

http://www.pier1.com/Abbie-Sofa---Chocolate/2630930,default,pd.html?cgid=sofas#start=1

http://www.pier1.com/Abbie-Loveseat-Chocolate/2630984,default,pd.html?cgid=sofas#start=1

http://www.pier1.com/Carmen-Sofa---Taupe/2678261,default,pd.html?cgid=sofas

http://www.pier1.com/Liliana-Armchair---Daisy-Gold/2283152,default,pd.html?cgid=chairs
    hollyjade88 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    We have the Carmen sofa in Taupe- I love it and it is very versatile. It is comfy for naps too.
  • leesadb
    10 years ago
    I like your gray paint color. If you go with the couch you have the picture of, I'd say a darker gray tweed material on the chairs - durable for kids and won't show stains so much - be sure to put scotchguard on them. A tweed material will be a contrast from the microfiber couch and I don't mean a bold tweed - just something simple. Keep your rug a darker gray than the couch and it will contrast nicely with the hardwood floors and show less stains from the kids. I wouldn't spend too much on a rug with little ones. Pull in the salmon and cream color from your curtains on the couch with pillows that have that color in them. Get that color on your walls as well with art. It will pull it all together as your eye goes from one room to the next when you walk in the house. Put the TV on the black table under it - the black mimics your diningroom table. I think it's going to look very sharp - I can see it now!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    That's good to know, Sunny. How long is the window wall, Holly?
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    What's really nice about pier one is that they are very helpful. You can have a charge there and it makes it easier to pay over time ( not too long though) You can usually get it and take home or get it delivered. You can always buy stuff and if it does not work returns are easy.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Yes, you don't want a totally solid gray couch. It will look very blah!
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Color of couches and chairs? And rug? Thanks so much
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Carmen sofa in leather, which will be very kid-friendly.

http://www.pier1.com/Carmen-Leather-Sofa---Java/2673400,default,pd.html?cgid=sofas
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Find a couch first. It could be gray tweed, taupe or espresso. Then find the chairs.

How long is the window wall and how much space on either side of tv?
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Here is the Carmen sofa with my "garden stools-coffee table" (one of many arrangements)
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    121 cm for the window wall!!
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And 50 cm on eAch side of the tv
  • Joy
    10 years ago
    Don't know if anyone suggested this yet . . . Try angling your furniture. This is going to be hard to explain, so please bear with me. Pull your one love seat away from the wall. With your other love seat place it at a right angle to the other love seat arm to arm making an L shape. Focus this sofa arrangement around the tv in a v shape. ( see my tacky drawing, heehee) I don't know if there is enough room for this layout. You should be creating a pathway behind your sofas so you can easily get from one room to another and access your front door. If it works, you could add a chair to your Christmas tree corner when the tree is gone making a nice conversation area. Your husband should lower the tv. If he can make a hole, he can patch a hole!
  • Joy
    10 years ago
    Looking at your pics again, don't know if there will be enough room for an additional chair. Is the tv centered on the wall? If not, when your fabulous husband lowers the tv would there be room to move it over some to the right? How would that work with the sofa to the right of the tv. Will it impede anything? You should have a clearance around the back of the sofas of about 30 inches.
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That is another idea, but it wouldn't leave much room for my kids to play!! They have bedrooms but choose to play all in the living room.
    The tv is centered on the wall with 50cm on each side
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    121 centimeters is 4 feet. Can't be right. The whole wall, not just the window.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    50 cm is about 1 and 2/3 foot.
  • hollyjade88
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry I meant inches!! 198 inches is the entire wall but the front door is on that wall
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Okay, how many inches between front door frame and the beginning of the pony wall (so start at pony wall and measure to where front door starts).
  • PRO
    TVCoverUps
    10 years ago
    Another option to consider is TVCoverUps. Framed Art(including your own) or mirror adds to the room's decor with the hidden TV and Entertainment Consoles beneath.
    See how EASY it really is :