Help! How can I arrange my living room?

Sue EslingerDecember 30, 2013
Is there any way to arrange my living room in a better way? I think the two windows throw me off a bit, so I wanted to get any ideas anyone may have on this. I also want to get rid of all the furniture (window treatments and all) to make it more casual and updated. Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chazz Spina
You could try angling the sofa in the corner by the window and moving the chairs in closer for a more intimate seating area. Then consider adding a loveseat opposite the two chairs. It should not match but should complement your other furniture.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 8:14AM
Dar Eckert
I like the two chairs but think they would look nice re upholstered. Check out reupholstery in the idea books.
Also check out the transitional style living room photos to get some ideas.

Unless you are really attached to the sofa, I would replace it as well as the tables.

An option for arrangement is to put the two chairs opposite the sofa with coffee table in between.

Transitional Style Living Space · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by Sue Eslinger    December 30, 2013 at 8:36AM
groveraxle
I would like to see the other corner of the room. I assume you have a TV there.

Your furniture arrangement looks good from what I can see, though I wonder if you have traffic from corner to corner between the two openings in the room. Do people use it as a shortcut from the front door to the room beyond, or do they walk around?

For window treatments, I usually recommend straight curtain panels hung ceiling to floor, but in your case, it looks like you have beautiful woodwork on those windows, so consider inside mount roman shades.

A peek at your ideabook turned up the following pic. Is this the look you're going for? I'll be back with a rendering in a bit.
Remodel · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by Sue Eslinger    December 30, 2013 at 8:45AM
anitajoyce
First thing i would do is have the sofa facing the window and the other chairs in the room. Updating to new casual furniture is a great way to help update the space. Two nice comfy side chairs would go nicely with the sofa since the room is such a good size. What color sofa would you like to get?
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 9:00AM
hayleydaniels
I like the way you have your room laid out because a person can get around in it without killing themself.

The only things I'd change is to put an end table between the chairs so they are more functional for a person to sit in for long periods of time with a cup of tea or whatever. I would put up some curtains that tie into colors in the couch to soften the look of the room, and put up a couple of more pictures on the walls to take up some of the empty space, and give the eye something to focus on.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Sue Eslinger    December 30, 2013 at 9:33AM
Sue Eslinger
Thank you. So do you all have any suggestions on what to do about the one corner of my room. I just have a lone chair sitting there. It needs something else (or different) I think. I think you can see a part of the chair in the first pic.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:02AM
groveraxle
Here is a start. I chose these green chairs from West Elm, a pedestal side table from Restoration Hardware, a bright painting from greatbigcanvas.com, some cream relaxed Roman shades, pillows and a red plant pot to tie it together.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:06AM
groveraxle
No ideas for that corner with the lonely chair without being able to see it.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:07AM
Sue Eslinger
Thank you all. I love the club chairs. Very nice. Hear is a picture of the lone chair. Any ideas on what to do with this area of the room?
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:12AM
Sue Eslinger
And I like the beige sofa that one of you attached from my idea book. I think it looks nice with the large coffee table. Very casual look, which is what I'm trying to go for. Thank you for the great suggestions. This is so helpful to me.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:14AM
Sue Eslinger
This is the corner of the room. It faces out to the front windows. Just seems like it needs something, just not sure what. Furniture, wall unit ect. I am getting rid of the chair so that wont be an issue. Any insight you all can provide would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 11:18AM
PRO
New England Design & Construction
I think that if you got a really stunning area rug, and moved the furniture away from the walls by about 3 or more feet, it would make a really big difference in how the scale of the room appears. Right now your furniture does not look like it fits comfortably within the space, and if you centered it better by using the area rug as a focal point, I think you would find that it feels cozier and more balanced. This room does not invite you to sit down or spend time in it, it makes you want to keep moving.

It is amazing how much difference moving your furniture away from the walls can make. With your coffee table in the middle and your furniture surrounding it, it will instantly feel more usable.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 11:24AM
groveraxle
Now that I see you have no TV in this room, consider an arrangement like this to make the conversation area more intimate. Leave the lonely corner blank, except for art on the walls. That corner will become the path around the furniture.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 11:29AM