Help me decorate this Bedroom
Rachel
Hi! I need help finding the perfect items to decorate this room. I need a new night chest (I was thinking a mirrored one would be nice. Window treatments, linen, a fire place, modern chairs, hanging light fixture, maybe a rug . Any great ideas?
eyeheartdancing
Hi! That's a great bedroom to start with! Who is this bedroom for?
And what colors do you/they like?
December 30, 2013 at 9:57am     
Rachel
It's my master bedroom ;) I like grays. I saw a pretty fabric that could work well for the window treatments. I'm just not sure if I shld do roman shades or do an entire wall of curtains behind the beds. I also have a porch door to the side that needs to be covered.
December 30, 2013 at 10:22am     
eyeheartdancing
Ok, well I think these bedding would look very nice in here!
I think also an accent color of light green, maybe even red, would look good too!
December 30, 2013 at 10:26am   
It would look best if the headboards didn't block the window. Can you move the beds to a windowless wall?
December 30, 2013 at 10:27am     
eyeheartdancing
Here is a pretty mirrored dresser, and a throw pillow that the color would look good
December 30, 2013 at 10:31am   
Rachel
I like the 1st set of linen. Can you please post a link to it?
The other wall doesn't have room because it would hit the patio door. That is why I'm considering doing the curtains on the entire wall (the type that you push to the sides) and just opening it up till the edge of the beds every morning.
December 30, 2013 at 10:39am   
mpoulsom
I think curtains on the entire wall would look great!
December 30, 2013 at 10:41am     
Rachel
What do you think of this fabric for the window covering?
December 30, 2013 at 10:55am     
Rachel
And this light fixture?
December 30, 2013 at 10:57am     
Destiny by Design
I like the window treatments blue/grays are very popular right now. Here is some bedding ideas.
December 30, 2013 at 11:18am     
ashtonchic
Maybe you should consider a different wall color. Your beds look very sophisticated and the things you are considering purchasing are also very sophisticated - sort of Manhattan modern to me. I think the wall of draperies would look great with the walls painted grey. What is that thing on the wall that looks like a light fixture?
December 30, 2013 at 11:21am     
Rachel
Thanks everybody for all the ideas please keep them coming! I should mention that I prefer duvet covers that I will be able to tuck into the sides of the bed to give it that neat look.
December 30, 2013 at 11:21am     
Rachel
The thing on the wall is a monitor system that I will replace/move.
December 30, 2013 at 11:24am   
eyeheartdancing
How about this rug?

Love that lightning fixture you found; perfect! :)
December 30, 2013 at 11:24am     
Rachel
Here is an other picture of a different angle of the room. To one side is the walk in closet and in that little area in the corner I was thinking of doing a fireplace with 2 chairs.
December 30, 2013 at 11:37am     
eyeheartdancing
Beautiful! Yes, I think a fireplace could be so cozy for this space!!
December 30, 2013 at 11:38am     
How much space do you have between the beds for a chest?
December 30, 2013 at 11:45am   
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
Instead of a wall of curtains, which may look too traditional, how about a coordinating wallpaper on the wall behind the beds, and then a Roman shade out of the coordinate fabric? There are some really great coordinates from Candace Olsen for Kravet that are very chic and modern. Lots of neutrals and silvers, grays, etc. . What is the fabric made out of that you just showed us? It almost looks like a vinyl? Or is it a metallic?
December 30, 2013 at 11:55am   
Anne
Find bedding you love and work from there. Would the beds match?
December 30, 2013 at 11:56am     
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
Okay, I just opened your pic of the fabric....it's a Kravet multi book, so now I get it!! Are you looking for ready made bedding, or are you willing to have a duvet made for each of the beds? If you do use that silvery snakeskin fabric, perhaps a graphic print on the beds could work? Or do the shade and wall in the coordinating graphic, use a solid duvet, and coordinate the shams, pillows etc in another print. Love the light fixture and mirror chest idea. Keep the chest very simple and sleek to work with the beds. No wood in between the mirrored parts. be careful if you do choose the metallic fabric that the mirror chest is not too much!! You would need to have some fairly strong bedding to make it all work. Perhaps consider getting a used chest and lacquer paint it? Either in charcoal or black.
December 30, 2013 at 12:02pm     
ashtonchic
If you look at bedroom pics on Houzz you will see that most of the beds have solid color bedspreads or duvets. This way you can use different patterns on the pillows or in other items around the room. If you do that fabulous light fixture and the mirrored dresser, you might want to keep your palette calm and let your accessories give you the wow factor - especially if you do the fireplace also.
December 30, 2013 at 1:01pm     
dianecourbat
Choose your bedding and rug first. Then you will know what color, pattern and textures to work with. Then you can decide on wall color and drapery color and accessories. IMO covering the entire headboard wall with drapes would look beautiful.
December 30, 2013 at 1:11pm     
Rachel
I would love to find something solid gray or maybe white with gray stripe hotel style bedding.I would get a fur throw pillow, and a textured pillow using the fabric from the curtain. I found two photos on houzz with the curtain behind the bed idea.
December 30, 2013 at 1:47pm     
eyeheartdancing
Here's one with stripes, is that sort of what your looking for?

Also attached a few more.
December 30, 2013 at 2:49pm     
Rachel
I love the second one!
December 30, 2013 at 2:51pm     
Rachel
About the night chest here's one I'v been eyeing but it's a little more then I want to spend.
And here's my "inspiration" for the fireplace, chairs sitting area. I have so many great ideas but having a hard time finding the things I want!
December 30, 2013 at 3:18pm   
L B
Does anyone have any ideas for this wall and the openings on top?
December 30, 2013 at 3:44pm   
L B
Oops
December 30, 2013 at 3:46pm   
syncope
Well, here I go. I'm probably going to get yelled at but is there a reason to keep the two beds apart if it's your master? If that's too personal a question to answer, that's fine but it seems to me that if you joined the two beds and did either a wall of curtains as you mentioned or floated the beds slightly from the wall and did some great screens behind them, that it might be easier to work with. Personally, I would rather have the connected expanse of the headboards across the windows than the broken angles having the beds separated creates. Just a suggestion.
December 30, 2013 at 3:59pm   
I'm not liking the beds against the window either. And, there isn't enough space between the beds to get a right size chest. But, if the beds must be this way, I'd suggest window treatment that sort of looks like a "third" headboard centered with the wall so the headboard/wall sort of blends. So, (although not usually a fan of box valance) I think a very simple box valance (much wider than the window) with white drapery so the headboards blend with the window treatment. The box valence will mimic the box of the bed base and the curtains plain white as well. Something like this, only white/white... The window treatment width should be a size that will give the bed(s) wall symmetry.
Bedroom textures
Hotel Classic Bedding
December 30, 2013 at 4:24pm     
syncope
Even if the beds were pulled in just a few inches toward the center may help instead of being snugged right up against the wall? I'm also thinking how difficult it is going to be to make the bed without a way to get around it.
December 30, 2013 at 4:27pm     
I really like Pure Home's modern classic taupe rug.
December 30, 2013 at 4:33pm   
syncope
What I am attaching is a way out of the box idea but try to imagine the center section white and in front of the window with the beds on each side. Also, the center could be any configuration you choose with as many cutouts as you wanted. I love the side treatments with the light fixture you posted along with the drama something like this could create. Think light greys or white or whatever other color you decide on not the dark tones in the picture. A chest stretching the length of the area between the beds with long clean lines could finish it out.
December 30, 2013 at 4:43pm     
Rachel
Rngp I attached a picture of the beds pushed together. The reason they are apart is because I felt they are blocking too much of the window!
December 30, 2013 at 5:18pm   
Rachel
Ignore the linen it's just a temporary set ;)
December 30, 2013 at 5:19pm   
syncope
I think it looks better together although the gap between the beds is a bit worrisome. What size are the beds anyway? They look like twins together but for some reason looked bigger apart. If twins you can use king size linens on them. I'd be tempted to get a Hollywood frame for the mattresses and join the headboards as closely as possible. Either that or have a new frame built for the bottom to eliminate the "seam" line.

As for the picture I attached above, is that something that you like or feel is doable or is that too out of the box for you?
December 30, 2013 at 5:31pm   
Rachel
I pushed it together a bit more and it eliminates the gap completely. So u think this way works best?
December 30, 2013 at 5:45pm   
syncope
I do. But more importantly, do you? I'd pull the beds just a few inches into the room so that you can put the curtains or whatever you decide behind them. Then go from there with accessorizing.
December 30, 2013 at 5:47pm     
syncope
Also, Rachel, you can use a complete wall to wall treatment and pretend the whole wall is windows or forget completely that the window is there. Either way, if you want more light, LED string lights can help give you the illusion of sunlight behind whatever treatment you use. A third option could be to bring curtains to the outside edges of the bed and then place long, narrow mirrors on each side. You could float small shelves (glass or white or even metal like the nightstand you liked) between the wall and the bed with hanging pendants over each side. The reflection of light off the mirrors would also help compensate for the lack of window light. Using pendants similar to the style of the light fixture you posted above could be actually quite spectacular.
December 30, 2013 at 6:11pm     
syncope
Oh and that snakeskin curtain could be wonderful. Also, take a look at this bench for the foot of the bed. http://www.zurifurniture.com/living/novel-bench-100081
December 30, 2013 at 6:16pm     
Rachel
Love the bench!
December 30, 2013 at 6:29pm   
syncope
So did I!
December 30, 2013 at 6:30pm   
Too much wood?!?
We close on our home next week. I see great potential...
Odd room that needs a purpose
Good morning, I've inherited recently a beatiful apartment...
Need help on rug for living room
So I've decided to move the rug that was once in the...
Colourful photo frames - yay or nay?
Black, white or silver are your standard photo frame...
Paint color
I'm looking for a beautiful very pale blue color preferably...