Heated bathroom floor
libbygrayky
December 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Building a house and having to decide whether to add heated master bath floor. Seems like all the extras are adding up but for anyone who has this, worth it? Not worth it?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ferguson Designs Inc
Hi Libby! A heated floor, especially depending on the size of your bathroom can be a very expensive luxury. There are two approaches - mats or coils. In my experience, the coils are more reliable but again, more costly. Then there is the electrician, tiler, etc.....but, having said all that, I wouldn't trade my heated floor for anything! In fact, I tear up more floors for clients wanting heated floors in the bathrooms than for any other reason. It is a luxury, but depending on the climate where you live, a welcome treat in the colder months of the year.
December 30, 2013 at 1:29PM     
dclostboy
In DC it gets cold enough to really appreciate, especially on tile floor first thing in the winter morning.
December 30, 2013 at 1:35PM     
southsound
When we built, we needed to pare down the list of must have's. The heated floors in our bathroom stayed on the list. :-). Dclostboy is right.
December 30, 2013 at 1:47PM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Could.not.live.without.it (actually I could but I wouldn't want to)
December 30, 2013 at 1:48PM     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Hi Libby. As a cork flooring expert, I'll let you in on a little secret: cork flooring (glue down) in a bathroom gives all the benefits of a heated floor at 1/2 the cost. As someone who sells to Canadians (we are in Canada - imagine that!) I can tell you that I've heard back from enough clients in cold areas and their reaction is unanimous. "If I had known the cork would do all of that, I wouldn't have bothered with radiant heated floors!". This is a common response.

A cork glue down tile is supposed to be site-finished = water PROOF floor! The installation should cost the same as a porcelain tiled floor ($4-$12/sf of labour costs). So long as you have a main form of heat in the bathroom, the cork will offer what MOST (not all...but most) people want: warmth under foot. Most people are looking to move away from a "cold floor" but they don't need the room to be "heated". This is when cork comes in.

In Canada/USA our cork tiles sell for $1.29 - $2.99/sf. Add in the adhesive and the polyurethane for the finish = $1.10/sf to the purchase price. When compared to the cost of porcelain/ceramic flooring costs + install should be within a few hundred dollars of each other. The cost for the radiant heat ALONE will be a few thousand...then there is the cost of install and the extra time it takes for everything to "cure" etc.

Just a thought.
December 30, 2013 at 1:51PM     
athomeeileen
Best thing in my house - heated master bath floor. We're moving soon, I think it will be something I miss the most. So yes, it's more than worth it!
December 30, 2013 at 1:58PM     
Monique Barrow
Yes, it's worth it! I have a heated floor in my bathroom and I don't want to miss it anymore
December 30, 2013 at 2:15PM     
PRO
Tap N Tile
It's totally worth it!
The product that we have has a timer & everything.

A lot of our customers have the heater on their shower bench. We have the heater on our counter tops in the showroom, so cozy.

-Priscilla
Tap 'N' Tile
December 30, 2013 at 2:21PM