What color shelves for niche? And what color/type of stools for breakf
Samphy E.
I'm building shelves for our niche, but unsure of what color to go with. I'd like to make them the same color as shelves I built for the photo wall, but unsure if that's the right thing to do. I've attach pictures of the surrounding rooms (kitchen/ family room).

I'm trying to bring the rooms together. Just hate our honey colored cabinets but not planning on doing anything to them anytime soon so I have to work with them.

Also, what type of stools would work in this space? I'm looking at these two attached so far but open to ideas.
Samphy E.
I was looking at these stools. I wanted to stay away from black since our kitchen table is black and just seemed to matchy.
December 30, 2013 at 1:31PM   
Samphy E.
Plus any other tips for bringing the rooms together would be appreciated! Thanks.
December 30, 2013 at 1:44PM   
Samphy E.
Anyone??
December 30, 2013 at 7:56PM   
abbyjean
The shelves you are making....what will go on them in the niche? Books? More pics? Decor?
December 30, 2013 at 8:56PM   
abbyjean
Love the gallery wall you have created, but maybe try overlapping the pics instead of having so much space between them. You might even have room for more this way, too, and then no need for pics in the niche?
December 30, 2013 at 8:57PM   
anapants
Leather stools would go nicely. Something like these
December 30, 2013 at 8:59PM   
abbyjean
I like the marais stool for the counter. It will look nice with the granite and not match the table.

Hmmmm.......white appliances and other white in the area....what about white???
December 30, 2013 at 8:59PM   
Samphy E.
Thank you. Yes it does look spaced out. I will be adding more pictures and I have a small plant that sits in the space that was being watered ;)

The niche would be mostly decorative pieces, maybe a few photos.
December 30, 2013 at 9:24PM   
abbyjean
Gotcha! Since the shelves are soooo close to each other, I would say make the ones in the niche match the ones already up. Just don't lose the beauty of the arch.
December 30, 2013 at 9:27PM     
Samphy E.
Also the Sebastian bar stool is white, which is the reason why I was looking at it. Just afraid it won't fit in the rest of the space? I'm also looking at these...will it look too crammed?
December 30, 2013 at 9:28PM   
abbyjean
I have to agree that the Sebastian bar stool will not match the rest of the space....just too different in style.
December 30, 2013 at 9:30PM   
abbyjean
I don't think the blue ones will look too crammed.....but are they a color you have in other places? Do you have kids that will be sitting on them? Are they cloth? You could get pillows for the couch with that color in them and the areas would tie together nicely.
December 30, 2013 at 9:31PM   
Barbie
I prefer the Sebastian stools for your space. And I think a black or charcoal for the shelves. I like what you have done so far.
December 30, 2013 at 9:31PM     
Samphy E.
I am trying to bring some color into the space. Hoping to use that blue as the kitchen accent color. I was looking at the Sebastian because the room is filling up with dark furniture and I was also trying to incorporate silvers.
December 30, 2013 at 9:35PM     
Samphy E.
Also my kids are very young (20 months and 2 months) so they won't be using any time soon. The blue chairs are washable colors.
December 30, 2013 at 9:37PM   
abbyjean
Well, then, you have to make up your mind, huh? Eeny meeny? Like your thinking with both choices.
December 30, 2013 at 9:39PM     
pcmom1
Lots of ways to play up your arched niche. But I don't think I would put in shelves.

I see some inset tile in the floor. Any left over? Could use it inside the niche or just to outline it.
Fleming Master Bath
Residence at Lake Jocassee
Sabet-Wood Residence
Showhome 2010 - 2
December 30, 2013 at 9:40PM     
Interior Trends Remodel & Design
I would NOT add shelving to your niche, I would just paint the back wall of it in a darker earthy tone to accent. I think shelves will clutter and take away from the architectural detail of the arch.

I like the idea of the Marias stool since it looks like there isn't a ton of space behind the sofa, but I would choose something less industrial. Maybe something with rod iron like your side table in the living room.

Also, if you hate your cabinet color, look into the rustoleum products. They have great cabinet transformation kits that are affordable and anyone can do it! They turn out amazing.

Good luck!
December 30, 2013 at 9:43PM     
pcmom1
Here is another picture I like. Maybe run with a red (since you have those throw pillows), Add that color into the kitchen also.

December 30, 2013 at 9:51PM   
pcmom1
See Nu Hance online, if there is someone near you. They can darken your cabinets in a day.
December 30, 2013 at 9:54PM   
pcmom1
In your kitchen you could paint your island black or a deep dark red. Or a moody blue.

http://www.houzz.com/blue-island/p/16
December 30, 2013 at 9:56PM   
Samphy E.
Sorry for the horrible photo but just wanted to give you a better idea of what I'm working with. The niche is to the right.
December 30, 2013 at 10:00PM   
Samphy E.
PCmom the niche is very deep and exactly like the photo with the two branches, same color and everything except without the light.
December 30, 2013 at 10:02PM   
pcmom1
Think black appliances would look much better and help to bring spaces together. Think they swap out the doors or you can paint.

December 30, 2013 at 10:03PM   
Samphy E.
PCmom do you have any idea how much it would cost for a kitchen our size? I've looked at rustoleum products but with 2 young kids there's just no time :/
December 30, 2013 at 10:10PM   
grobby
Regarding shelf for niche, I would use only one,and place it about 1/3 the way up the niche.
Would do it in black with just one shelf you can place a tall/large object that will make a statement.
December 30, 2013 at 10:23PM   
Inside trim and door color?
We are building a rustic home on a lake. A sophisticated...
Update my colonial
I want to update my colonial to make it more transitional...
Tile for shower in master bathroom, pre Reno Delma,,"!,
My wife and designer want to do a large tile with marble...
Siding is going up! Need to figure out color!! HELP
This house sits out in the flat fields not too far...