Cheap bathroom help! (:
cmra2013
So I have decided to decorate the bathroom by my sons room, with the hopes he will stop coming into my room to use mine. I will attach some pictures of it plus a shower curtain I am thinking about getting. I am open to all suggestions of what would look good in it.
So far I think a new curtain, new paint color on the walls, maybe a piece of art, a rugs, and some things to go on the vanity would be good. Also I'm trying to keep this cheap, so try to keep that in mind! (:
anapants
Navy color maybe
December 30, 2013 at 9:44PM   
How old is your son and what are his interests? Pop culture art is fun, if he's into that.
December 30, 2013 at 9:44PM   
cmra2013
@Anapants, I think a navy color could be to dark. Do you think maybe a light grey color would look good?
December 30, 2013 at 9:56PM   
cmra2013
@Darzy, He is 14 going on 15. His interest are a lot of things like music, filmmaking and other stuff along those lines. Over all his style is really modern. I think the Pop culture art could be fun, but I don't know if would really like it. Do you have any other suggestions? (:
December 30, 2013 at 9:59PM   
auntiebuzzybee
What is it he likes about YOUR bathroom? Is it a shower DOOR, shower head or your colors or...? How old is he and is this also a guest/hall bath?
December 30, 2013 at 10:04PM     
Yes! Make it look like a spa. Instead of the typical towel rack, hang hooks for plush white towels or waffle robe. (If you can spring for it, a heated towel rack that would be a hit). Fluffy, 100% cotton rug runner, then brown (leather look) soap dish. A wooden box for the counter with q-tips, or hide the deodorant box. A manly spa feel. Soft blue walls, brown accents and "sexy" art for above the toilet.
Hotel Inspired Master Bath
Kirkland Tanditional
Blue Nude Framed with Gel Coated Finish by Pablo Picasso
Peacock Alley Monte Carlo Waffle-Weave Robe
December 30, 2013 at 10:06PM     
Ross' stores always have fun and inexpensive boxes. Some of the boxes look like books, which I like a lot. Also, you can find inexpensive wood trays, which could be good to put the manly brush, cologne, etc. I love this leather tissue holder but I've seen faux croc or faux snake for $10 bucks or so. This set is pricey, but Home Goods, etc have them for less.
Leather Tissue Holder
Bathroom Accessories
December 30, 2013 at 10:15PM     
cmra2013
@Bsellers, My bathroom is nothing really special, he just prefers the glass walk in shower... But he said he would be wiling to try to start using his bathroom if we get it looking better (which I'm totally fine with). Also yes this is a hall bathroom so guest would also be using it. So I am trying to pick things that he likes, but does not look to young and would still be appealing to guest (:
December 30, 2013 at 10:26PM   
cmra2013
@Darzy, I love all of the suggestions you made! Especially the wall color and the towl hook (: I will defiantly be saving what you said as a list to go through when I buy things! Thanks for the great suggestions.
December 30, 2013 at 10:27PM     
If the shower curtain is one reason you son likes your bathroom better, I'd check into how much it would cost to do a tub to ceiling glass partition - just 1/2 way on the tub. Maybe it's not that pricey. It would really make the bathroom feel more spacious too. Like this glass:

December 30, 2013 at 10:35PM   
cmra2013
@Darzy, I will have to check it out. But I think it could be a little pricy because I would have to get rid of the current tub, get a new one, tile the wall, then get the glass.
December 30, 2013 at 10:46PM     
pcmom1
Yes, as someone asked: Why does he use yours? There is a reason. I have to admit, I leave our master bath to use the kids' bath (they are out of the house now). Why? Because it is a much smaller room and the steam from the bath warms up the room!

So, you really need to know if it is something like that. Oh, just read above he likes the shower. So, how about you get him some great shower head, heated towel bar...

Only problem is you may switch to his bath!
December 30, 2013 at 10:56PM     
cmra...ahh..I was wondering what was behind curtain #1! Hey...maybe he'd like mesh shower curtain?
December 30, 2013 at 11:11PM   
brickln
The room doesn't appear to have a window, so he may be feeling a little claustrophobic in there. I'd get a clear curtain and inexpensive spa fixtures for the shower. Stereo and tv might help, too!
December 30, 2013 at 11:24PM   
cmra2013
Pcmom, haha that's true! (:
December 30, 2013 at 11:49PM   
cmra2013
Darzy, Hmm I will have to see (: He actually just found some curtains he really likes. I will post some of the ones he likes. They are really colorful though!
December 30, 2013 at 11:54PM   
cmra2013
Some more shower curtains he likes
December 30, 2013 at 11:54PM   
cmra2013
Brickin, yeah it is surrounded by a closet and a bedroom so it can't have a window :(
December 30, 2013 at 11:56PM   
cmra2013
Also I found this cool shower head, and it is blue tooth so it could synch up to his phone.. or mine if I steal his bathroom (; hehe
December 30, 2013 at 11:57PM     
Bridget
From the shower curtains your sun picked, he may find his bathroom too dark. Asking your son what he would like in the bathroom, he may start feeling that it is his bathroom and then he may use it more. Have your son pick out paint color, then have him help you paint. You could go beachy with all the shower curtains except the black one.
The blue, yellow, green, pink you could go several different ways with just changing towels, rugs. The anchor has a lot of colors to pick up on.
Good luck!
December 31, 2013 at 2:38AM   
Re-Bath Northeast
We have seen many different ways to spruce up a bathroom, without spending tons of money on permanent changes. Let your son chose the color for the walls and if he picks something totally crazy, paint that color as an accent wall, and pick a neutral for the rest. Use some fun wall decals that are aimed at bathroom decorating to make the space more interesting. You could do something with bubbles and/or phrases. You can find these on etsy.com or Amazon. If you are artsy, you could paint something on the top of his mirror with window paint and then when he gets tired of it, he could paint something himself. Definitely, get a rug to accent the new colors and maybe some new towels. Hope this helps give you some ideas!
December 31, 2013 at 6:06AM   
abbielou
Try taking a mason jar and turning it into a soap despemser for a cheap vintage look. If u need help search Pinterest
December 31, 2013 at 6:20AM   
apple_pie_order
A curved shower rod adds elbow room in the shower. http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-56-Inch-72-Inch-Adjustable-Curved/dp/B004VLVU7Q/

If it is his bathroom, he should pick out the shower curtain, art and paint (within reason). A couple good bath rugs will help, too. A movie poster in an inexpensive frame is fine. Teens do not need extra doodads on their counters: they rapidly accumulate a lot of stuff. When guests visit, it can all be swept into a drawer or plastic shoebox.
December 31, 2013 at 6:23AM   
apple_pie_order
On a limited budget, I would pick the curved curtain rod over the paint. The current color is neutral and just fine for a teen boy. Add another towel rod for guests if they are frequent visitors.
December 31, 2013 at 6:25AM     
n247080
I would remove the mirror and light over the sink as well as paint the room to compliment the shower curtain. Something a bit more industrial and interesting looking. Perhaps a 2nd mirror that rotates out for close up work like shaving? Not sure how old your son is. Try Homegoods.

My bathroom is identical to yours and just putting in a pretty mirror and a more modern light fixture after painting the room did an amazing change of mood. You should be able to switch them both out for under $200.00

Instead of a towel rack, try interesting hooks. Then he can just toss the towel up there without having to fold it neatly.
December 31, 2013 at 6:49AM   
1807henry1
Your son knowing what he likes and doesn't care for is half the battle. Who knows- he may want to be a designer. (:
December 31, 2013 at 7:25AM   
cmra2013
Ok, thanks for the help everyone! I will post a picture when I'm done decorating. (:
January 1, 2014 at 4:47PM   
pcmom1
Aren't there waterproof radios that hang in the shower?
January 1, 2014 at 9:29PM     
Need help finding cheap vanities for bathrooms
I am currently remodeling my wholehouse. I bought it...
Bathroom vanities for cheap?
I am remodeling two bathrooms in a 1960s ranch house....
Cheap makeover for dated bathroom
We have a houseful of changes to make, and this room...
Bathroom #1 Remodel 70s to Chic! & cheap
This was the first bathroom remodel that I did, did...
Bathroom #2 Remodel 70s to Chic! & cheap
As soon as we finished our first bathroom remodel,...
have less than 24 hours Please Help!!!
I bought this bench at a consignment shop and I need...
kitchen cabinets
We are having our cabinets made out of oak with plywood...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Need help in small kitchen
I have flat oak cabinets, nickel pulls , stainless...
Help! Wood floor varnish disaster
My husband and I decided to sand the floors and revarnish....