Is Mirrored film on windows outdated?
lucykr
Good Evening dear creators! It was only after we installed new kitchen with granite countertop, I was able to see that bright side light entering the kitchen through the window and ...shows all the issues/ epoxy dots and etc. on our new granite countertop... Oh. I keep curtains closed all days long, and keep looking for solution. One solution I see is to keep curtains closed all the time and install the skylights so light will be coming from the top and hopefully not showing issues. Another idea is to install window antiglare one way mirrored privacy film. Please, tell me what do you think about this window film? Is it outdated? Which brand to buy may be you know? Or may be another idea? Thank you so much. And Happy New Year to everybody!
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I would not recommend mirrored window film.........
Instead, why don't you think about window shades in a grass cloth that allows some light to filter through into the room..........
December 30, 2013 at 11:21pm        Thanked by lucykr
lucykr
Thank you for the idea for me to try! My countertop is salmon pinkish brown. Could you please give me an example what grass cloth looks like? Is it color greyish -green? Or type of fabric? Thank you again!
December 30, 2013 at 11:32pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
It's a natural looking woven material... I would suggest a light or medium brown shade which will allow light to filter into your kitchen and will look good with your salmon countertops.... I am not able to download examples right now since I am not on my computer, but try googling "grass cloth shades" to see examples. You should be able to mail order them if you don't have a local distributor. Companies that sell them are Hunter Douglas and 3Day Blinds as well as many others depending on where you are located.
December 31, 2013 at 12:26am        Thanked by lucykr
armipeg
I agree with Lampert Dias Architects. Go with shades.
December 31, 2013 at 1:19am      Thanked by lucykr
2dogssashatess
Mirrored window film is dreadful. One of my friends has it at his place.
December 31, 2013 at 2:06am        Thanked by lucykr
Matchstick shades are also very nice and definitely allow a view through them but minimize the glare. A more expensive solution is to have glass in your window that is tinted but not mirrored per se. It is an anti-glare but very discreet (and certainly not mirrored - although slightly shinier).

December 31, 2013 at 2:16am        Thanked by lucykr
lucykr
OK, I think I like bottom folded ones. Will they survive every day adjustments up and down? Or I keep them covering half the window, and use curtains for privacy?
December 31, 2013 at 11:01am   
SOLARIS
Mirrored window film is technology that still works fine but doesn't have the look of our newer tech films. You can achieve glare reduction, fade protection and energy efficiency with a minimal change in appearance. Visit www.vista-films.com to find a professional near you.

Covering your existing windows and adding skylights seems like an expensive way to keep some light in your space. I imagine getting control of the glare with a medium range film will let you keep your view and save a ton of money.
May 13, 2014 at 6:36am   
Wall and Ceiling paint scheme for a new home
Our new home is currently being built. But we are having...
Advice: hardwood vs. laminate wood floors
Renovating pier and beam house. replacing all the flooring....
Chair to go with dining table
I can't decide if this chair looks good with my trestle...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...
update kitchen
We are buying this house. I need help on how to design...