Updating 1999 home - Paint golden oak door trim and baseboard molding?
coloradokamp
Hi Houzzers:

I AM WONDERING IF WE SHOULD RIP OUT AND REPLACE -OR- PAINT FLOOR MOULDING AND DOOR TRIM? WILL THE GRAIN/GLOSS WILL PREVENT THEM FROM MATCHING THE NEW Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Primed Composite Interior Doors WE ARE INSTALLING?

Our house is a traditional style built in 1999. It has genuine oak door trim and floor moulding stained golden/honey oak with an almost high gloss finish. The current style for trimwork here in Colorado is painted white or light cream trimwork. This house needs complete updating (all trimwork is golden oak, the doors are raised 6 panel natural stained smooth grained pine, the hardwood floors are light birch, all door handles are bright brass! ).

Also, WHAT FINISH IS MORE CURRENT? Brushed nickel or Venetian bronze or polished chrome door handles?
Lastly, any cool ideas for RE-PURPOSING THE OAK DOORS after we remove them?

(It is probable we will convert this house to a rental property in 5-6 years)
May I ask why you are replacing the doors?
1 Like   December 31, 2013 at 11:16AM
E. Miles Custom Builder, Inc.
If the trend in your area is for painted trim, then painting the door trim and shoe moldings would solve the dilemma with the trim color. Same goes for the doors, if you decide to reuse them, rather than update to the most recent trend. Does updating add to the resale value? The fixture update depends on your personal preference and which finish will last through the vagaries of fashion, if you transition this to a rental property. If you decide to replace the doors, look into donating them to a local Habitat for Humanity RESTORE shop.
   Thanked by coloradokamp    December 31, 2013 at 11:27AM
coloradokamp
Hi Judy - Thanks! We are replacing the doors because
#1 the golden oak stain is not current with local real estate property styles
#2 this is a formerly bank owned property and the doors are quite damaged (gouged and scratched by dog claws)
#3 our decor is traditional, not country. (Example of intended decor is attached)
   December 31, 2013 at 11:30AM
coloradokamp
E Miles - Thanks! The currently installed trim has got an almost high gloss sheen to it and the grain is quite visible - even when painted, could this be a mis-match when new composite textured doors are installed and give that tell-tale "this is a homeowner update' look? Since you are a builder, could you comment on having a contractor bid out materials and labor for millwork and doors throughout house (almost as if this were a new build) ? Thanks again.
1 Like   December 31, 2013 at 11:36AM
Thanks for clarifying as the doors look good in your photo.

My vote is for BM Linen white in semi-gloss, with the bronze hardware.

1 Like   Thanked by coloradokamp    December 31, 2013 at 11:41AM
coloradokamp
Judy - I love the pic of the dining room - just my style! There is no formal dining room in this house We used the formal dining room so rarely in our last house, we opted to skip one in this house. In a perfect world, I'd have one, and my dream: a butler's pantry!
   December 31, 2013 at 11:49AM
countbla
Just a quick comment on your proposed new doors - take a good look at actual samples, as the standard 6 panel textured ones I've seen in the typical big box reno stores can look rather fake and cheap, and more country/rustic than traditional (and won't last long with the wrong tenants).
   Thanked by coloradokamp    December 31, 2013 at 12:11PM
Love that room, too. But, my point in posting the picture was to show you the linen white woodwork with the bronze hardware…I like that a lot.
   December 31, 2013 at 12:47PM
E. Miles Custom Builder, Inc.
Coloradokamp-Glad to comment, per your request. Sounds like you know that you want a matching finish throughout, which is great for possible resale, and especially for your own enjoyment. Prices on millwork vary due to quality of stock used, local availability and mark up from vendor to client. If you want to replace all trim and doors, your budget should include demolition, trash haul off-of or if you donate, will the recipient pick up at their cost. A good General Contractor will have several sources that can give him or her competitive bids on materials and labor.
Decide if fixed-price or cost-plus is the better contract for you.
And as always when selecting a general contractor: get 3 bids from respected local remodeling specialists, look for an established firm with a good rating from the local BBB, ask for current references and ask questions about things that are not clear.
   Thanked by coloradokamp    December 31, 2013 at 12:54PM
E. Miles Custom Builder, Inc.
Also, Venetian Bronze finish ! Happy New Year!
   December 31, 2013 at 12:54PM
emily65
Solid wood doors, even with scratches, look so much better than the cheap hollow core doors. The fake grain on those stand out from many feet away. The solid doors could be sanded so that the scratches are smoothed out some. At least paint one of the solid doors to see what it looks like first. Solid doors have a look of quality that hollow doors can't match.
3 Likes   Thanked by coloradokamp    December 31, 2013 at 1:01PM
victorianbungalowranch
Agree that you would be better to clean, fill, sand, prime and paint the real wood doors and trim than to replace them with inferior composites. And you may be able to patinate the bright brass to dark bronze with some solution and polish.

I own rental property and try to keep it nice enough so that I would be happy to live in it, but it doesn't pay to replace a lot of things you don't have to, even if they are a little dated. This house is not even 15 years old yet and it is way too early in its lifespan to tear everything out just because of some scratches. Wood putty will take care of that and you might even consider going with a more forgiving darker finish, which is easier to take care of in the long run than painted finishes that show dings and poor painting technique and build-up with time. I actually like the current finish, which doesn't look like "golden" oak or country to me at all, but clear finishes aren't very forgiving of wear.

In Colorado, isn't sustainable materials valued as well and being green--which means stick with the wood, and save some money.. Part of the reason white woodwork is the "trend" these days In new homes because they are cheaper to put in MDF than the real thing!. Use the savings for some more substantial porch posts.

As for resale value, anything you put in now may be dated and dinged up in 6 to 10 years or whenever you want to sell, just like your current finishes, especially if you use it as a rental for awhile. So choose carefully.
4 Likes   Thanked by coloradokamp    December 31, 2013 at 1:20PM
Paint color to match golden oak trim and doors
Need help choosing a color for our bedroom. All the...
Oak trim, doors and molding - how to work with the oak when choosing paints?
Hello! We bought a colonial sytle house built in the...
painting crown molding a different color than baseboard, doors, trim
I am repainting my whole house I just purchased in...
I have golden oak trim in my house to paint or not ?
All I read from designers here is to paint all the...
What neutral interior paint color works with the smoky golden oak wood trim?
My husband and I purchased this home that has a large...
Help my awkward front entry!
I am sprucing up the exterior of our house by replacing...
Need advice on the placement of furniture in family room
I have a fireplace between to french doors on the back...
Need help with my awkward entry!
I hate the brick flower box, I tried planting in it...
Need ideas for this awkward wall...please help!
When we bought the house this awkward wall in our den...
Replacing windows in an 16 year old house
Our original builder grade double hung windows are...