Kitchen update...ideas needed for this open space

sproule72December 31, 2013
We are looking to 'freshen' the interior style of our 10-year old house - one of the biggest considerations is the openness of the upstairs and blending the look between kitchen/dining/living room areas. We have started the update of the living room (pic attached), and have a new dining table (this pic attached too) - neither is finished - but they speak to our design likes I guess. Then there's the kitchen, where nothing's been started.

Would love ideas for:
- counter top & backsplash (we currently have tile and laminate for both kitchen and island)
- hardware
- lighting in both dining and kitchen,
- dining chairs (I can live with the ones we have though)
- drapery/window treatment in living and dining (yes/no?)

Thanks!!

We are hoping to keep the cabinets for now, but swap out some uppers for frosted glass.
Advent Home Solutions Inc
The fireplace and surround look pretty contemporary whereas the kitchen cabinets and lighting seem rather dated / traditional. You could replace the kitchen doors with something more modern (such as a simple shaker) in the same wood species and perhaps Caesarstone counters ... They have colours closely matching your fire surround.
    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 6:05PM
Advent Home Solutions Inc
There are lots of great glass tile options for backsplashes or simpler subway tiles depending on budget.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 6:07PM
Clay Aragon
My totally non-professional opinion so take my advice with a grain of salt.

It looks like you have a flare for modern- rustic design just by looking at your living room. What's dating your kitchen for one are your lights. Consider replacing your pendants with weathered zinc filament pendants like those found at restoration hardware (just an idea not endorsing the shop) or the Harmon pendant in satin nickel finish. In terms of backsplash you can't go wrong with off white subway tiles 2x3. For the countertops Alaska white granite is always safe or better yet Bianco Romano granite. Off white Caesar stone would look amazing if you don't mind it being prone to staining. Try to coordinate your pulls with your pendant lights by using the same finish. tubular pulls would look great with your cabinets.

OK so I know you said you want to keep your cabinets as is but the biggest thing that's dating your kitchen are your cabinets. The orange wood is weighing the room down. For a lighter more updated look consider lacquer painting the cabinets an off white colour. The island can be kept in its original state.

My two cents worth.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 6:27PM
des1gnchick
It looks like u have a more modern style - I love the dining table!! Advent makes a good suggestion about changing the cabinet doors for a simpler cleaner style, and a solid surface countertop plus subway tile would really update the kitchen. Perhaps removing the fake columns where the stools are, or painting that side would look better. Also attached some pics of lighting possibilities for the dining (larger one) and kitchen (smaller pendant)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 6:42PM
Nancy Schnur, ASID CAPS
I agree with changing out the cabinet doors if you can't change the whole cabinet. I like the dining table, If you don't want to purchase new dining chairs right now I would suggest recovering or investing in slip covers that have a more contemporary look such as a suede look, they make a lot of great fabrics in crypton that is very cleanable. I like the two light fixtures with the white shades and metal trim but I think the third might be too flashy for the dining room.
For the windows if you like the lighting flexibilty of the horizontal blinds, change them out to a wider blade, that would make them more contemporary. Otherwise mecho sunshades would be very nice in the room.
Hope this helps, have fun with it.
    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 6:56PM
Kitchen Updating Ideas
Open to suggestions! Wanting new cabinets and countertops....
hatch33049
Budget friendly update ideas please!1
We just bought a house with this massive kitchen, and...
ekately
Kitchen Update Ideas for a rental (limited budget)
I'd appreciate any ideas from the community on how...
capiontayhas
1905 brick warehouse - exterior update ideas?
Hubby and I are in the process of "reclaiming" this...
dibber
Need outside update ideas for 1960s Ranch crackerbox
We own this 1960s rental and my husband would like...
aladdintn
Advice Needed with Kitchen Curtains.
We Recently renovated our kitchen. I am stumped on...
marym0113
Help with my living room
I would love to hear some ideas of how To decorate...
monicamb
Gloss or matte tub?
I am remodeling my master bathroom and am adding a...
Cindy Wanner Malak
Kitchen backsplash ideas!
New kitchen in a very old house is finally coming together....
travallie
lake house floor
what should I use on a small lake house floors
ashlyn1954