Ideas to disguise or hide my split air/heat ductless split system
loisanderson
January 1, 2014 in Design Dilemma
This 10 by 14 family room is being built and I do not want this unit sticking out like a sore thumb
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
Hard to comment without a pic?
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 11:23AM
loisanderson
It is a room being built,will have french door along the back,one existing stone wall,two window in front. The unit,of course is placed close to the ceiling. I am looking for ideas to try to mask the unit. I have seen a few on the Houzz site showing shelving with one looking like the unit is sitting on it,and one behind wooden slats.Nothing has thrilled me yet.The room will be 12 by 14.
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 12:06PM
loisanderson
Thank you and Happy New Year!
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 12:06PM
PRO
Disguising things is a fairly specific business, relying on configuration, color, the drawing of attention to other things, etc. you might try posting drawings if you have them, or posting again once the space is framed so that we can see where the unit will be.
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 12:14PM
loisanderson
Thanks,waiting to get in the room,it is boarded up due to expected snow storm
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 12:21PM
PRO
Stay warm :)
0 Likes   Thanked by loisanderson    January 3, 2014 at 10:15AM
PRO
SteelCrest Architectural Accents
Although not inexpensive, we would build a decorative "cage" around it, in any design and color choice. This will give you some design ideas: http://steelcrestonline.com/prod_cabinet.html
0 Likes   January 3, 2014 at 10:38AM
loisanderson
Thank you,great idea!
0 Likes   January 3, 2014 at 10:51AM
decoenthusiaste
My friend just checked into the these and said they're too big and noisy. I'm sorry to see so many of them on perfectly good walls here at Houzz. We must find solutions because the units are here to stay and they're just like a huge thermostat in the middle of a wall! A real decor nightmare.
0 Likes   January 3, 2014 at 2:44PM
loisanderson
Thank you,that is what I'm worried about!
0 Likes   January 3, 2014 at 3:11PM
mitsumark
I just saw this post and apologize if I am a little late to the game here. I had to respond to a few of the replies here that are not correct. It amazes me when I hear people talk about these things not looking good on a wall. Go into almost any home today and you will find a big black box attached to a wall, generally above a fireplace or on a wall that used to display a family portrait or favorite work of art. How can anyone accept having a TV installed like that and then comment that a ductless wall unit is too big or ugly. They can easily be painted to match the walls as well. Many ducless manufacturers also offer a variety of models that can be installed in other locations. Noisy? maybe if installed incorrectly. Most normal conversation is at a level of 60db's. Many of these Ductless units when running are operationg at 19-20db's. This is why they are the often installed in music and sound studios. Ductless units are also the most advanced and efficient systems being sold today. Mitsubishi has a 30 SEER unit, the first manufacturer to attain this in the industry. Please contact an HVAC professional to get the facts about these systems or attend a home show and ask an exibitor.
0 Likes   September 22, 2014 at 3:32PM