Ceiling Beam Color/Finish
www.designingmainstreet.com
We are in the process of painting our living room in our antique style cape cod house and want to change the ceiling beams to white (they are greenish now). We have low ceilings and the green beams have always made the ceilings look even lower. In the other room with beams, my husband used white ceiling paint on the beams. I am wondering if the beams should have more of a glossy finish. We are keeping the trim green for now because we plan to have full replacement windows in the next year.

Do we paint the beams the same as the flat ceiling paint for now and then match it to the window trim when the windows are replaced? Or do we just match them to the ceiling? The goal is to make the ceilings feel higher.

Cat Lloyd
I have one beam like this in a room where the ceiling slopes down to 7 ft. The entire room was no more than 7' and inches for years. I plan on "boxing" the beam with moulding trim. It won't add too much to the depth but will make it a design element that goes with the room. Would also paint the beam a semi gloss as it is a trim piece now. This beam might have a little too much trim on the topside but it is the general idea.
January 1, 2014 at 8:47am      Thanked by www.designingmainstreet.com
pgteach
Flat white lovely home.
January 1, 2014 at 9:27am      Thanked by www.designingmainstreet.com
I'd go with satin - just a bit of sheen.
January 1, 2014 at 10:06am   
need help with a room to make kitchen and living room in one
I need to put the kitchen and the living room in one...
Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
Hi everyone, Awesome site first of all. My fiancé...
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
bathroom vanity lighting question
I have a 72 inch wide double sink vanity. If I am...
Need recommendations for landscaping new patio
In the process of expanding and renewing patio and...