Need help with Drapes
Tim
We have a 12foot window and would like to use pinch pleat drapes with our traverse curtain rods. We are having problems identifying the correct colors/pattern for our drapes. We would like to have a material that does block "some" light.
I think you need to take a chair cushion with you to the fabric store or drapery workshop and look for something with a bit of that intense teal that's in the chairs. I found a few contenders at Calico Corners, but ultimately you need a decent sized swatch and have to see it in the room.
January 1, 2014 at 4:43PM        Thanked by Tim
Gorgeous room, BTW. I adore the fireplace wall. It's stunning.
January 1, 2014 at 4:44PM        Thanked by Tim
Tim
Thanks Groveraxle, I think one of my problems is swatches I do have are to small. Thank you for the compliment as well!
January 1, 2014 at 5:50PM   
dclostboy
I'm more for subtle...this mini check in silk taffeta for example.
January 1, 2014 at 6:00PM      Thanked by Tim
janeinfo
Lovely room! How about cream linen panels from IKEA. They are extra long and extra wide. I would move your rod up to almost the ceiling.
January 1, 2014 at 6:03PM      Thanked by Tim
sunnydrew
I love your room, can't wait to see your drapes. Grover is spot on as usual. Can you put 2 little lifts under the rear legs of your sofa. It looks like it leaning back due to the rug.
Go to fabric ark website http://www.arkfabric.com/index.php?sort_by=genre If you scroll down they have grouped fabrics by color or genre in a great array of inspiring ways. It gives you some more ideas of where you can take this great room.
January 1, 2014 at 6:04PM   
janeinfo
Oh yes, I would add a huge piece of art above your lovely sofa too!
January 1, 2014 at 6:04PM        Thanked by Tim
sunnydrew
P.S. I would not do cream or subtle. Do you like color? here is a great way to show it off.
January 1, 2014 at 6:05PM     
sewing fanatic
your furniture tends toward the traditional. I would go with a gray silk dupioni drape lined with either a standard lining or blackout lining. The blackout will also help with temperature control from extremes with that large window. (spectacular view also)! A mirror over the fireplace, and move your current artwork over to the wall by your sofa. Add some blue pillows to the sofa along with some gray ones to match the drapes. Move your current sofa pillows (the small round ones) to the chairs as lumbar support.
p.s. I would stay away from Ikea draperies. Way too cheap for your taste and current furnishings.
January 1, 2014 at 6:17PM      Thanked by Tim
debmecom
Although i love the patterned fabric suggested above, I think a tone on tone pattern or solid is the way to go. If you are going with custom drapery, upgrade the lining for light control and to add a nice visual weight. It also makes the fabric hang much nicer. Definitely raise the rod. A deep pleat, 6" long, is very nice, as is a two prong pleat as opposed to a three prong pleat. I also agree that Ikea may not fit your style.
January 1, 2014 at 6:32PM      Thanked by Tim
Tim
Thanks for all the feedback. Sunnydrew the website you provide is extremely helpful. I definitely want to have color in the drapes. I am unsure on what color(s) and how much, so not to be over-powering.

Sewing fanatic, I never considered grays, but I am intrigued after looking at some images. Im not sure if it would create a gloomy ambiance, specifically here in the NW with all the rain. Either way i'm going to pull some swatches.
January 1, 2014 at 6:45PM   
Some pinch pleat drapes for your perusal. They are hard to see, but they are white and teal geometric, teal and gray geometric, natural raw silk, navy linen, in that order.
January 1, 2014 at 7:42PM        Thanked by Tim
debmecom
My favorites are the top right and bottom right. What type of ap are you using to post these?
January 1, 2014 at 7:56PM   
Tim
Groveraxle...Photoshop? Of the 4 you supplied I like the navy linen the best, followed by the teal and gray geometric. Thanks Janeinfo your suggestion and Groveraxle for your photo editing, i'm now convinced I need to search for some art work.
January 1, 2014 at 8:01PM   
abbyjean
I love the top right one!!!
January 1, 2014 at 8:01PM      Thanked by Tim
sunnydrew
I would definitely look for a pattern, not a solid.
January 2, 2014 at 5:54AM   
No app. Photoshop and a real computer.
January 2, 2014 at 7:47AM   
janeinfo
This post is actually a comment to sewing fanatic's post about IKEA drapes. I too was skeptical. However, when my designer suggested using them for stationary drapery, I was intrigued, so I went down to our local IKEA and looked at the linen ones. My designer said she uses them for stationary panels because the linen is heavy weight, and if need be, they can be lined. I went with her suggestion. They are beautiful. I have four windows in my sitting area in my master bedroom and I often get compliments on them. Funny thing is, the furniture in my master is from Ethan Allen, Baker, and Louis Shanks. The draperies cost me $80. Go figure. :) And back to Tim.......I agree with debmecom. I like the top right and bottom right pics. Your room is spectacular!
January 2, 2014 at 8:33AM        Thanked by Tim
Decor Team

I love this fabric. I think the grey colorway would look amazing with your current color scheme. I would do a Euro pleat To retain the clean lines and modern feel of the room.
January 2, 2014 at 10:12AM      Thanked by Tim
Design Distinctions
Geez, I guess I'm the only one who really prefers the slightly golden colored drapes-bottom left. I think the teal repeated in the art is the perfect amount and the room doesn't need more of such a vibrant color, it makes the left side of the room a little "teal heavy". The dark navy drapes together with the dark fireplace wall make the left side of the room too dark overall. But the golden drapes pick up the golden colors in the art and balance the room perfectly!! In my humble opinion :)
January 2, 2014 at 10:27AM        Thanked by Tim
Tim
Hi DD, I had considered Gold (golden) drapes, as I do have a gold theme throughout the house. Here is a swatch (if you can see) that I am considering. It's gold with a grayish-blue/gold pattern. What do you guys think?
January 2, 2014 at 12:39PM   
Tim
Decor Team - I do love the gray colorway and design you provided. I'm assuming that I would have to order the fabric and make the drapes.
January 2, 2014 at 12:43PM   
Decor Team
We could make them for you if you would like. Please feel free to contact us and I can send you an estimate. Our web address is www.decorteamus.com.
January 2, 2014 at 12:52PM   
Tim, I like that gold fabric that you posted just above. But you're right about the swatch being tiny. Might be worth it to buy half a yard or so to get a better look.

And it looks like you're going to have to get that art I Photoshopped onto your wall. Better ask janeinfo where she got it because I stole it from her.
January 2, 2014 at 1:05PM      Thanked by Tim
indianpatti
These are from a store on Etsy called, "Only Linens"
http://www.etsy.com/listing/168077747/two-96-x-50-custom-curtain-panels-leaf?ref=sr_gallery_36&ga_search_query=teal+and+gray+drapes&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

I like the citrine color in these .. kind of gives a "nod" to the copper/brass in the room.

Love your room ... your doing an awesome job so far!
January 2, 2014 at 1:09PM      Thanked by Tim
janeinfo
Tim, before you ask me where I got that artwork, I think I googled "large canvas artwork".
January 2, 2014 at 5:05PM      Thanked by Tim
Tim
Thanks janeinfo
January 2, 2014 at 6:00PM   
Need help with drapes on windows or no drapes.
This is a small apartment living room. The rug will...
Need help with drapes on an arched window
I am working on window treatments on an arched window...
Need help choosing DRAPES...stuck between 2!
We live in an open floor plan and have solid "midnight...
Need help with re designing my drapes for the new home
We just moved in this Saturday, our front "parlor"...
Have I made a huge mistake? Husband comes home in two days!
We just had our bedroom painted (see photographs -...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Need references
I have an unfinished basement and need help finding...
Paneling Paneling Paneling
We just bought a family owned home on Lake Norman......