Wallpaper confusion

jk_onlineJanuary 1, 2014
My Dining Room needs some help! I'd like to put wallpaper inside the cut out sections but when I go into the wallpaper stores and look at the walls of books, patterns, colors...my eyes just glaze over. The walls are painted BM Livingston Gold and the window treatments are in the brown tones with a slight greenish pattern. Any suggestions on style, color, pattern of wallpaper or anything else would be greatly appreciated!
saratogaswizzlestick
Love your molding. How about something like these?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 1, 2014 at 4:40PM
janeinfo
I would replace your window treatments with a silk or taffeta type drape -- maybe a wide stripe. Also would replace your lampshades with something a little more updated. One other thing would be to maybe lower your chandelier just a tad. Lovely room.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 1, 2014 at 5:10PM
Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
Dear JK, I agree, you have some really nice architectural details. I would update the window coverings, they look dated. I would also reupholster the chairs with a smaller scale print than what I am about to show you for wallpaper. You can never go wrong in the dining room with Chinoisere wallpaper from Scalamandre.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 1, 2014 at 5:24PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would paint the trim around the cut out sections the trim color of the room. I would then select a natural tone (not gold) grasscloth for inside the panels. I agree with "janeinfo" about simple silk panels hung off the window sides & the chandelier. I would then choose a colorful pattern of fabric to reupholster all the chairs. And last, possibly a large rug under the table & chairs in a pattern. I would then choose a soft pale tone from a color from the the upholstery to paint the ceiling on all flat surfaces, the section with the can lights and inside the tray.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 1, 2014 at 5:36PM
mkmort
Desire Wallpaper · More Info

Lobby Wallpaper, Goldfinger · More Info

Damask Floreale Wallpaper, Beige · More Info

Amy Butler Lacework Blue Floral Wallpaper · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 1, 2014 at 5:44PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Your walls are fine. It is the stark white trim, though very nice, that screams at everything in that room, and dampens it. I think maybe recovering your dining chairs with a pattern with more vibrant color may help.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 1, 2014 at 5:59PM
Vicki Simon Interior Design
This room has enormous potential with minimal changes. Your furniture is very elegant, and I would take a cue from the pattern on your upholstery for your wall covering. Go bold and in a similar or slightly larger scale than this French pattern, perhaps a two-tone. I agree about the white as it is too high contrast with the gold and becomes glaring. Depending on the transition from this room into others and if there is a way to isolate the trim and ceiling of this room without awkward adjacencies to other white trim in the house, I would select a neutral color that works with the gold.

Also, I would recommend full height simple neutral sheers on the windows instead of the swag valence design.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 1, 2014 at 6:09PM
jk_online
Thank you everyone for your comments! It's so helpful to see things from a different perspective. The white trim is through out the house so painting may split off the room from the rest of the house. I wonder if painting the ceiling will tone it down? Love the wide stripe taffeta drapes. That and the rug will be a future purchase since the cost will be considerable! On the hunt now for new lampshades. The lamps do have gunmetal sections. So should I look for gunmetal shades? I never noticed how high the light fixture was. How low should I lower it? Now to the wallpaper. Love the Chinoisere and the tone on tone pictures too. For resale considerations, should I stay conservative? I like the idea of taking a cue from the upholstery. Vicki Simon Interior Design - do you have a picture of the two tone French pattern?
    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 4:52AM
saratogaswizzlestick
I love the Chinoisere paper too, so fun! Excellent pick LJ Interior Design.
    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 5:08AM
jk_online
I'm drawn to these two patterns when I googled Chinoisere. I'm somewhat of a bird nut with several Audubon prints through out the house as well as a reverse painted bird lamp in the living room. Do you think this would "transition" to the rest of the house if I used something like this? The bird print also has a hint of the green as in the window treatments. I'm just wondering if it would be too much of a print. Not sure if I could find this same wallpaper but wondering if I should look at something like that or stick with something more tone on tone??
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 5:57AM
Universal Lights Inc.
The chandelier is supposed to be 30-36" off of the table top. The problem you might face though is that they cut the wire on installation. You may need to get the fixture rewired and find additional chain. The fixture being so high also draws a lot of attention away from the rest of the room towards the ceiling (which many have comments is related to the problem) and that will also help tremendously fixing that. :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by jk_online    January 2, 2014 at 7:33AM
jk_online
I measured and the fixture is 42 1/2" from the tabletop. It also looks like there's extra wire/chain on the fixture so I think I can lower it. Thanks Universal Lights for the advice!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 7:44AM
saratogaswizzlestick
Your bird wallpaper is pretty, I also love birds and it is a great motif. I prefer the first paper as it adds a touch of whimsey that would really enliven the room. It does have egrets. If it is not hitting the spot for you many of these papers have a sense of humor about them which is quite endearing and that would be a lovely element to add to the room.

That is great news that you can lower the chandelier, that will improve your room significantly.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 7:49AM
jk_online
I think the folks that installed the light fixtures intended for this to be lowered since there's extra wire/chain. They probably kept it up so as not to be in the way of the movers. I just didn't know enough to lower it once we moved in! One of the many reasons I love this forum where experts and very talented people are willing to give advice. Thank you!! I think I will go with the bird theme so now I have some direction when I attempt the wallpaper store again.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 8:18AM
Universal Lights Inc.
Lower that chandelier and take a new picture. I'd love to see how much it changes the room! I'm glad we could assist. Don't hesitate to call with any additional questions.
    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 9:24AM
janeinfo
jk_online, if you google black lampshades, it will give you a host of places to find the lampshades for not much money. Also, the taffeta drapes were from overstock. Good luck.
    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 9:36AM
jk_online
Overstock. My favorite place! Maybe the new drapes are in the budget. Thanks!
    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 11:03AM
Vicki Simon Interior Design
jk_online, please contact me if you would like my help selecting a wallpaper at inquire@vickisimon.com
    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 11:25AM
what is reflective wallpaper
hi m having a restaurant done...I have doubts about...
ashu101
Wallpaper or no?
I'm confused. Is wallpaper in or out?Are there rules...
bingo455
Confused about the "backsplash" material
Hello- some of the comments talk about the glass backsplash...
begravia
OLLD 5-6-13
Rise & Shine & bring forth your wisdom!
Jayme H.
I have a dark barouqe wallpaper..
Now im confused wht colour should be the headboard...
unakho
Kitchen ideas for color and back splash
Just bought this home ... Will be keeping white appliances,...
tmuto2
Basic Rectangle Ranch Needs Curb Appeal
Hi all, this is my first Houzz post! We bought this...
Laura Campbell
Putting Stucco on Front of House
I need advice on what colour the STUCCO should be on...
Mississauga Bathrooms
Kitchen track light too busy?
OK so I am remodeling the kitchen. We just had black...
Chase
Dining Chairs
I have three antique pressed-back chairs - and I want...
wlshaw
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Scion Foggy Blue 8 ft. x 11
Home Depot
WallsNeedLove Right Hand Red Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP70-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Tangerine Blooming Adhesive Wallpaper
$42.99 | zulily
Brewster Aqua Ornate Harlequin Wallpaper
Overstock.com
Peony Canvas Wall Art - 47W x 32H in. - 40-015
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Gray Deco Diamond Wallpaper
$27.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Star Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
kaarskoker Solid 6 in. x 7/8 in. Gold Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 GLD-SOL-6C
$10.48 | Home Depot