Would like to make some changes. Appreciate suggestions.
Dee
My rooms (dining room & living room combo) are in need of some updates. I have never really followed any particular style but just choose what I liked. Needless to say, its a hodge podge. My dining room set is very old and I tried to get it to blend in a little better with chair covers. My chair & ottoman need to be recovered as well as the slipper chairs. My initial thought is to keep the navy blue sofa which I still love, and change the look of the rooms with new fabric colors and new dining room set. Love my armoire....that's a keeper.
Can you help me with some suggestions on: new style of cocktail and end tables, fabric colors to coordinate with blue sofa, and some suggestions on style of dining room furniture. Thank you!
Dee
Also wondering if I should paint the mantle. What do you think?
January 2, 2014 at 10:32AM     
felixgrantham
The mantle is too dinky. Get a carpenter to make a more substantial one. Either in a nice wood that you can stain, or painted.[houzz=Seacliff Southern]

You can buy a new chair & ottoman for about the same money as reupholstering, so unless it's some family heirloom with sentimental value (or Henredon), just fork over for new ones. The slipper chairs look to be in good condition.

You seem to like cottage.
Here are some ideas:
[houzz=Living Room 4]
[houzz=Living room]
[houzz=Quogue, Long Island Home]
[houzz=Georgette Westerman Interiors]

Please- recover or replace those horrid throw pillows immediately!
January 2, 2014 at 10:52AM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
You are right about those throw pillows..... never even thought about them. Thank you.
January 2, 2014 at 10:59AM   
Dee
The slipper chairs are in excellent condition but have become dingy from time and all the cleaning. So I thought I'd change these as well. So colors????
January 2, 2014 at 11:05AM   
Lucky's Charmed Home Staging & Organization, Inc
First, think about this. where is the most peaceful, beautiful place you can think of? Once you answer that question then go with the décor. Don't just furnish a room create an atmosphere that comes to life. Do you like the jungle, tropical atmosphere? Maybe a quant village in Italy? Don't buy one thing or get rid of anything until you answer the above question.
January 2, 2014 at 11:06AM        Thanked by Dee
Your lovely armoire should take a prime spot opposite the FP (not with it) where that large floral chair is, for balance sake and to give it the presence it deserves - not tucked behind a door. The armoire and navy sofa are your keepers, so lets work with them. Can you post a better picture of the armoire? Comment here and use the Attach Image button to add pix.
January 2, 2014 at 11:14AM   
Is the TV in the armoire? I think you have a great start on the dining room. Just pick your new dining set.
January 2, 2014 at 11:19AM      Thanked by Dee
Dee
Yes, the tv is in the armoire. So position is important.
January 2, 2014 at 11:32AM   
Can you take a pic while standing in the corner by the FP looking toward the floral chair?
January 2, 2014 at 11:35AM   
HomeScapes San Diego
I agree with Lucky Home's comment - find what you love and go from there - when we decorate/stage we generally start with a piece of art that we love and the take the colors from that. If you can find a painting you love to go over the sofa you can then find co-ordinating pillows, slip covers, lamps, accessories and a coffee-table that works in the space. If you keep the blue sofa you might find a sea-scape, floral or abstract painting that you can use to set your color palette. It's hard to tell but it looks like you might want to raise up the height of the art over the desk. Good luck!
January 2, 2014 at 11:47AM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
Hope this comes through ok.
January 2, 2014 at 11:48AM   
armygirl1987
I would think about what you want to keep, have to keep and then go from there.
January 2, 2014 at 11:51AM      Thanked by Dee
Dee
The stain glass window over the sofa table will most likely be moved when I buy new tables. I'm thinking of a round table in that area. I lean toward "cottage" style which is why I am feeling so challenged with this makeover as I have so many different style pieces. Having said that....do I go for a "cottage" style dining room set? Will it blend in with my armoire?
January 2, 2014 at 11:52AM   
Thanks, HomeScapes.... Many folks forget the basics of decorating.
January 2, 2014 at 11:54AM   
Dee
Thank goodness for websites like this!
January 2, 2014 at 12:09PM     
The artwork on the armoire could probably qualify as cottage. Would you want to use those colors? I can't see the colors very well.
January 2, 2014 at 2:25PM     
KShoa
The artwork above your couch is too small. Consider moving it elsewhere, and putting up larger/bolder artwork. Check out my work for ideas. I have many originals, and hundreds of configurations of canvas prints that I can print to the size you choose.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

I would also remove the knickknacks from above the tall armoir. It's beautiful on its own, and now looks a little cluttered.

Enjoy decorating!
January 2, 2014 at 4:13PM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
Decoenthusiaste...attached is a close up of the armoire door. I haven't really considered using these colors. Could work out well. Do you think dark wood cocktail table would look better in this room?
January 3, 2014 at 4:50AM     
Jayme H.
This room is pretty

January 3, 2014 at 10:57AM        Thanked by Dee
syncope
I've been studying your pictures and I'm probably the only one that is confused about the layout. Are we looking at two rooms plus the dining room or one? It looks like the navy couch is in a different room from the tv armoire. Is that correct?
January 3, 2014 at 11:15AM        Thanked by Dee
sunnydrew
I think it is an L-shaped room, The tan ottoman in one picture looks/is different than the floral chair and ottoman on another , but I can not figure out why- either. How about a floor plan drawing?
January 3, 2014 at 11:20AM     
syncope
It looks to me like there is a formal living room west (left) of the dining room and perhaps a den to the south (down) with the three areas forming an L. If that's the case, there also seems to be some type of seating area across from the navy couch of which pictures would be helpful. I would want to be sure what we're looking at before offering any suggestions although I do agree that either painting the mantle or changing it to something more substantial would be a good move regardless.

I think you have a lovely home that is definitely not a "hodge podge". Trust your instincts. They are good ones.
January 3, 2014 at 11:29AM     
natoscha
Think you need to lighten things up a bit. No dark wood. The armoire is nice. I would get new furniture, build a nice white facade and mantle for the fire place, maybe.
January 3, 2014 at 11:48AM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
Let me try to put together a rough sketch. It is a little bit of an L shape.
January 3, 2014 at 12:34PM   
Dee
Not sure if this will help.
January 3, 2014 at 12:59PM     
Dee
There is a narrow wall just behind the chair & ottoman. The opposite side of the wall is a bar area. That is the only wall. Its all open.
January 3, 2014 at 1:01PM   
syncope
So the navy sofa is perpendicular to the fireplace?
January 3, 2014 at 1:03PM   
Dee
Yes.
January 3, 2014 at 1:04PM   
syncope
and how many people are typically watching television at the same time?
January 3, 2014 at 1:06PM   
Dee
Well, we are a family of 4 and at times, we all sit together to watch a movie.
January 3, 2014 at 1:08PM   
syncope
Ok. Would you consider floating the couch parallel to the fireplace and armoire wall (basically centering the couch between the two) with the sofa table behind it? Then flank the fireplace with each of the white parsons chairs. Put the chair with the ottoman in the space between the couch's new home and the wall and angle it toward the fireplace and armoire. Basically you would be pulling the furniture a bit closer together and creating a walkway behind the sofa.

If you can imagine placing a large circle on the floor and placing the furniture around the edge of the circle, that's the arrangement I'm thinking of. I love circle rugs and would love to see you with a beautiful rug that you could pull your colors from and give you a great conversation area base. I hope this makes sense.
January 3, 2014 at 1:17PM     
Dee
I don't think there is enough space. I tried a similar layout like that once and it just did't have a good flow pattern. I wish I could do. I love the way the white chairs look flanking the fireplace.
The room has an odd layout .
January 3, 2014 at 1:23PM   
syncope
Well, just a thought. I have a very small living area and yours looked like it might be similar. I don't have a tremendous amount of floor space with the way mine is set up but it's enough to walk around. If you'd like to take a look you, can check out the Christmas pics in my ideabooks.
January 3, 2014 at 1:27PM      Thanked by Dee
Dee
After talking with my husband last night, we decided to also paint. The wall behind the sofa extends to a 2 story foyer and into the loft and 2nd floor hallway. This is becoming a total redecorating job now. What will be left of this room will only be the navy blue sofa and armoire. I have been looking at some of the photos here and I am gravitating toward lighter and brighter. But my dark armoire has me concerned. If anyone is interested in throwing me some ideas and/or pictures, I would appreciate it. And thank you all for your help.
January 4, 2014 at 9:08AM     
Dee
I was able to put together a pretty good idea on the layout of my rooms. I know the pictures were a little confusing, so I hope this helps.
January 12, 2014 at 8:00AM   
veeba
Give this a try - the armoire on the wall where sofa is. Place the chair and ottoman where the armoire is currently and float the sofa facing the armoire. The two slipper chairs can go next to armoire.
January 12, 2014 at 8:20AM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
I think this will upload. Scale is off, but furniture placement is pretty accurate.
January 12, 2014 at 8:21AM   
Dee
January 12, 2014 at 8:28AM     
MarleneM
I agree with veeba. Move armoire (its just beautiful BTW) to where couch is now and float the couch facing it, Armoire won't look as dark if ceiling is higher. Also update the mantle.
January 12, 2014 at 9:03AM        Thanked by Dee
veeba
Photo 5 from Felix's comment above would be a great choice for you. Off white walls throughout and pops and color in art and accessories. Lemon yellows, lime greens, hot pick, bight orange...delicious. Have someone update your fireplace with a stone tile.
January 12, 2014 at 10:18AM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
I don't think there is enough room to move sofa in that way. It breaks the flow into the dining room.
January 12, 2014 at 3:43PM   
Dee
I finally found a picture I absolutely love for above the sofa and thought the pillows would be an easy thing. But I have to take into consideration the print of the dining room chair slipcovers. Can anyone help me with some suggestions. Thank you. Reposting some pictures from the start of this post. I have also replaced the chair & ottoman from the previous pictures posted. Appreciate all your help.
March 8, 2014 at 11:56AM   
Dee
Here's a better picture of fabric.
March 8, 2014 at 11:59AM   
HomeScapes San Diego
I love the picture you selected and the fabric on your chairs - I love the combination of gray and bright yellow and you have yellow as an accent color in your painting - I think that would be a beautiful color palette for the room.
March 8, 2014 at 12:08PM     
Dee
Thank you Homescapes. I like the yellow suggestion as I am considering a light gray for the walls. Hope to find pillows with some texture to them and not too much of a busy pattern.
March 8, 2014 at 12:39PM     
Dee
What choices of paint color would work with my room? After reading some of the other posts, I am rethinking the light gray.
The wood trim in the room is a light stained oak. Should I paint it white which seems to be popular in all the photos.
Thank you for any suggestions.
March 9, 2014 at 5:57AM   
HomeScapes San Diego
There are so many great shades of white out there - it's fun to play with color but classic whites are great too because they work like a blank canvas - i think the white makes everything look crisp and light and clean - but in the end go for what you love! good luck!
March 9, 2014 at 2:29PM   
Dee
Thank you HomeScapes. I wasn't sure about the "whites" only because my tables are an antique white and then I have a very hard armoire. I sure would like to lighten up the whole room though. Do you have a favorite white?
March 10, 2014 at 4:34AM     
Dee
Thank you HomeScapes. I wasn't sure about the "whites" only because my tables are an antique white and then I have a very dark armoire. I sure would like to lighten up the whole room though. Do you have a favorite white?
March 10, 2014 at 5:25AM     
HomeScapes San Diego
@Dee: some of my favorites are Dover White (Benjamin Moore), Antique White, Alabaster SW7008, Linen White but usually I get small sample bottles at the hardware store and paint swatches on the wall to see how the color look once its up to avoid mistakes...they will sell them or give them away and its worth the time before committing to an entire room (or house) and not liking it with the other tones in the room - good luck!
March 10, 2014 at 1:27PM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
What do you think? I was drawn to the orange with the navy blue sofa. I'm ready to pick a paint color. Thank you for all your help and all the other replies that got me to this point.
March 13, 2014 at 7:26AM     
The orange looks great. A lighter shade of some of the dark colors on the print pillows might be a way to go. Take them with you to the paint store and ask the pros there for help.
March 13, 2014 at 7:31AM        Thanked by Dee
HomeScapes San Diego
It looks great! Some day you might want to think about using a different color on the larger chair, maybe a brighter color or something fun with the orange accents. The color on the chair now is so close to the wall color it blends in - love your coffee table and the orange and navy combination! very nice!
March 13, 2014 at 2:02PM        Thanked by Dee
Dee
HomeScapes, thank you. I was thinking that changing the wall color would help with the chair. I just had it recovered. I wanted something neutral. Looking for an orange throw for the ottoman and some bright art for the wall above. Do you still think a "white" for the wall?
March 13, 2014 at 2:39PM     
HomeScapes San Diego
I like the new covering for the chair, it's just really close to the wall color. I love off- white/white walls (I know a lot of people think they're old school but they make a great blank canvas to work with) - to me it just brightens up the entire space, it will make your blues and oranges stand out and look crisp...or if you decide to go really crazy someday you could add hardwood and the entire room would change...have fun - it looks great! I like the photo Jayme H posted earlier too.
March 13, 2014 at 3:07PM        Thanked by Dee
This is probably not to scale and I left out the windows, but it is a fresh look at your space. Armoire takes center stage between the windows in the DR. Buffet, if not too tall, serves dual function as a sofa table. Additions are credenza under TV, accent tables for the small chairs and an oval coffee table, lamps (two floor and one table) and art. Here's a chart to help with getting table and lamp heights correct.
March 13, 2014 at 4:55PM     
Dee
decoenthusiaste, thank you for your suggestion. Boy, I wish I had options for moving furniture around. Have tried many times over the years and it just doesn't work for us. The area between the dining room and living room really needs to be open. The armoire holds the TV so needs to be in the living room. I'm okay with the layout because it works nicely for us.
March 14, 2014 at 7:22AM   
Dee
Cassie, always opened to suggestions. Thank you.
March 16, 2014 at 4:59AM   
rosecottagehome
The point of this " Advice" forum is to give just that, not to try and sell to the OP under the false pretext of giving advice.
March 16, 2014 at 5:27AM     
I would appreciate some suggestions for house colors
My mom just passed away and now I have inherited the...
Please help. I would like to change my mantle. need suggestions
I have never liked the fireplace mantle in my great...
Would like some paint color suggestions
This is my sofa swatch. It's for my basement.
Hallway office
I really need help to make this look pretty, but calm....
Pattern disaster?
I am terrified of patters! Is this rug horrible with...
Help choosing Family Room paint color!
I want to paint our casual family room to bring in...
Replacing Ceiling Plaster Work In Historic Brownstone
Need to replace a huge historical decorative plaster...
Updating a one-story, 1980s Florida house
We have a home with original, slightly better than...