Formal living room
mydecorandstyle
What do you think of this room? My plan is to add colorful drapes and pillows. What are your thoughts? I want to brighten it up. I know art is hang to high ( blame hubby) i will lower it.
With the nice dark furnishings that you have, I would not try to lighten the room. Instead, I would go with the flow and paint the walls above the chair rail a nice chocolate brown. Then I'd add pillows (removing those you have) in the two shades of red, along with one Mongolian lamb pillow, light brown, like the pillow at the back of the photo below. But nothing is going to look great in this room until you add some lamps, either table lamps or floor lamps!

January 2, 2014 at 6:39PM     
HI -- Can you swap out one of the sofas for two chairs of smaller stature . Perhaps the other sofa can be used in another room . I think all the furniture is too big for the room . Then follow the advice of Carolyn -- love those (faux) Lamb pillows !
January 2, 2014 at 7:01PM     
Hey, Lefty, they're real lamb, not faux and thanks for the tip on the Canadian website! I'll take a look at houseandhome.com
January 2, 2014 at 7:30PM     
HI -- Carolyn -- I was pretty sure the pillows were real lamb but didn't want to offend anyone . I love the way they look . I have wanted a Mongolian lamb pillow since I was very young -- like in the sixties !
January 3, 2014 at 6:48PM     
kellis1977
I agree that the furniture is too large for the space. I know it is expensive to replace, but maybe you could trade one of them out for two mid-priced chairs as mentioned earlier.
January 3, 2014 at 6:57PM   
I totally agree that it would be wonderful if you could replace one of the sofas with 2 chairs!
I'm usually the one on the soapbox yelling " buy a sofa and two chairs!" That combination offers much better flexibility of arrangement than a sofa and a loveseat and also eliminates the problem of finding the right size coffee table.
January 3, 2014 at 7:09PM     
sbrustein
I love your woodwork. Would you consider a darker color on the top of the wall to make the wainscoting really pop? Also, your leather seems too informal with the traditional woodwork. Were you thinking of replacing the sofa and loveseat? The look is juSt too monochromatically brown. Maybe if you replaced the coffee table with a glass one?
January 3, 2014 at 7:16PM   
I think a dark coral color would be stunning on your walls! Tie in with the rug and feel moody in a cozy way. :) Look how yummy this is:

January 3, 2014 at 7:17PM     
January 3, 2014 at 7:19PM     
mydecorandstyle
Thank you everyone but no I'm not looking to change the furniture I know a sofa and two chairs are on trend but these are really expensive furniture( sofa and love seat) I will consider painting also I plan on adding two table lamps my problem is what color drapes should I go for. It's a pain trying to decorate a 4300 sqf on a budget.
January 3, 2014 at 7:26PM   
Is there space around that window for draperies to hang to the floor without being behind the loveseat? Is there another window? If so, we would like to see a photo of it.
January 3, 2014 at 7:32PM   
caribbeangirl
I would change the chairs if it's in your budget
January 3, 2014 at 7:35PM   
So sorry...here you want to brighten and ask for drapery ideas and we're having you paint the room dark and buy two chairs!
January 3, 2014 at 7:35PM   
ilovepearl
is it possible to switch position of couch and loveseat? It's hard to tell if there is enough room.
January 3, 2014 at 7:37PM   
HI -- Well if your going to work with the love seat and sofa , can you put the bigger sofa on the longest wall and then have the love seat on a shorter wall . We don't know what the rest of the room looks like unless you post some more photos of the room in all directions . As for the drapes it would be best to keep the walls and the drapes the same color so as not to make the room look smaller. Yes , we could see they are a good quality furniture but sometimes that should not be the reason to keep them in the same room ,if it is not going to work for the room. But try the suggestions and see how it works out .
January 3, 2014 at 7:40PM     
ilovepearl
Add drapes to pick up a colors in area rug. I love the lamb pillows suggestion, too.
January 3, 2014 at 7:41PM   
I like lefty's idea of drapery the color of your walls to blend. I'd suggest a velvet fabric to lend to the "heaviness" of the leather, but soft and formal like your moulding. Then, accessories in the lighter white/cream and of course that lamb pillow Carolyn suggested.
Velvet Drape, Wheat
Signature Wheat Velvet 120-inch Blackout Curtain Panel
Velvet Single-Width Drape, 50 x 124", Wheat
January 3, 2014 at 8:10PM   
mydecorandstyle
Here are some more pictures. I'm not trying to down your comments but we've spend a lot in the last two months we decided to take a break on furniture spending, hope you understand.
January 3, 2014 at 8:54PM   
Faux Interiors & Interior Design
Several things I see that I would change...your pillows are not right, the brown and blue don't really go...what I would do is change the lay out of the room...place the big sofa at and angle with each corner touching the opposite walls....that way you have room behind the sofa for a sofa table, if you have one...if not place a large tree back there with an up-light...then have the love seat almost touching the arm of the sofa at the same angle..then angle the area rug...this will change how the room looks...you have contemporary pictures..it looks like the one sitting on the floor is bigger...place that one on the largest wall...the center of the picture should be a little above your nose...if you are short and your hubby is tall...try to get in between your height differences..the white pillows with the circles should look better with the other pictures up...I would go with some of the colors that are in your artwork...there is a lot of contemporary fabrics that would go with your art or the pillows...it is unusual to have the traditional wainscoting with contemporary, but if you do it right, it will look nice...yes you need lamps...start with moving the furniture around and go from there..
January 3, 2014 at 9:16PM   
Faux Interiors & Interior Design
Had to look at the pic again...place an end table at each end of the sofa..so you might have to pull the love seat away some...I think you will see the room will be more inviting...
January 3, 2014 at 9:18PM   
mydecorandstyle
If i do that the love seat will be blocking the window
January 3, 2014 at 9:27PM   
chookchook2
Colour on the walls would balance the brown.
January 3, 2014 at 9:49PM   
Amie
As you have it now, I see the furniture as an outline of the room's layout rather than creating interest and harmony between the layout and the objects.

From your pictures it seems there are two entries to the space: one from a hallway and one from the dining area. I would try the loveseat facing the sofa. This creates intrigue and interest from both entryways and establishes a more fomal yet intimate sitting area. Then hang gorgeous curtains in the windows with artwork on the wall space between. This would be a fantastic view from the dining room.

Are you comfortable eliminating at least one of the side tables, or both? You could use them as an accent elsewhere or at a bedside. Maybe even return or sell for cash towards curtains or a new lamp!

Best of luck, looks like you're starting with a wonderful space!

If you have to keep the one of the side tables, keep one in the corner by the sofa near the windows or on one side of the newly positioned loveseat and add a lamp. If additional lighting is needed you could add a floor lamp.
January 3, 2014 at 10:08PM   
mydecorandstyle
Yes I'm o.k with eliminating a side table. This is the new layout.
January 3, 2014 at 10:32PM   
mydecorandstyle
Should I get a new rug?
January 3, 2014 at 10:34PM   
I like the new arrangement much better. Yes, I think the rug should be more transitional with your furniture and molding. Especially if you'd like a lighter look and want to keep the paint color.
January 3, 2014 at 10:42PM   
The "extra" side table could be put in the corner with your vase/sticks. The little table in the corner is a bit too small there.
January 3, 2014 at 10:43PM   
Amie
I like this layout a lot. It will really pop with full curtains hung high above the windows! I was thinking two pictures on wall between windows. I am picturing guests entering from the front door and being welcomed into this room for a drink. Or, retiring here after dinner for coffee and conversation. If there is room in the corner where the grass arrangement is, you could switch that out for a taller table or bar cart with a pretty decanter or wine coaster and glasses etc.
January 3, 2014 at 10:51PM   
Amie
About the rug, if you can use it elsewhere and find a replacement within budget, then go for it. Otherwise, work around it until you find something you love. What is the dining room color scheme and furniture style?
January 3, 2014 at 11:00PM   
mydecorandstyle
Ok tomorrow I'll show you all the curtains I bought they are very light in color I will also put a lamp and different accessories on table. Thank you for your help
January 3, 2014 at 11:02PM   
mydecorandstyle
I haven't done anything in the dining room but as you can see the furniture is dark wood cherry to be exact. Tomorrow we'll go shopping for a new rug for the family room and I was thinking light color since all my furniture is on the dark side.
January 3, 2014 at 11:06PM   
Faux Interiors & Interior Design
Do you use the window all the time...often people don't always open the windows, and it is not an issue...
January 4, 2014 at 9:20AM   
Better for resale, a formal dining room or formal living room?
What's worth more, a formal living room or formal dining...
Formal dining room or formal living room?
Many new homes don't have formal living rooms or dining...
Want to make formal living room a cozy living room
I was just lucky enough to get this cozy double wide...
My new thrift store find
Got this beautiful old lamp at our local thrift store.I...
Redoing ugly hi fi
My husband came home with this hi fi (it was free he...
What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?
Surely there is something in your house that involves...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
Mega problem!
Need advice on art for my fireplace wall. It is a...