What can I do to enhance my living room look? Hubby doesn't want to bu
Michelle Lin
Just moved in to our new condo 2 months ago, front door open to living room right away, no entry way. I have to have my piano on the livingroom. Which leaves us limited places to put the sitting area. Need advice on any furniture rearrangement or decorating advice. Thanks!!
abbyjean
I would flip the couch and have it facing the deck door and right at the edge of the rug. That will also give you the couch to use as a little barrier for an entry way. Put the love seat at the left side of the couch, making an L and having it face the fireplace. If there is room, the console table could go behind the couch and then it could also work as an entry way table. Even wondering about switching the mirror....turn the direction....with the clock??? The mirror would be across from the deck doors then and reflect the outside. Look in the pics and see if the mirror reflects anything special now, like it should.

I can't tell, but think there may be a chair in the room, facing the couch? THAT could go over by the fireplace and the deck doors would still be open more than they are now with the couch in front of them.
2 Likes   January 2, 2014 at 9:12PM
studio10001
Upright? baby? grand?
   January 2, 2014 at 9:15PM
abbyjean
Oh, yeah.....WHERE IS THE PIANO???
   January 2, 2014 at 9:18PM
Michelle Lin
Upright piano!
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 9:18PM
Michelle Lin
This is the front door.

So, as u can see, the room is not big.
   January 2, 2014 at 9:22PM
Kayla Thomas
The first thing that stands out to me are the vertical blinds, and as I can see in the lower picture, the cute window panes they're hiding! I would get rid of those, and add some curtains to soften the room and add some warmth.
3 Likes   January 2, 2014 at 9:24PM
abbyjean
OK, so that is the piano bench I saw instead of a chair.
   January 2, 2014 at 9:24PM
abbyjean
Will it work, though, to switch the couch to the opposite side? Look how part of it is currently covering the fireplace a bit.
   January 2, 2014 at 9:25PM
Natasha Assa
Lost in space! The piano is where? In relation to the couch or the fireplace? Colors are so different in the pictures, it's hard to tell. Resubmit the pictures? Thanks!
   January 2, 2014 at 9:25PM
Natasha Assa
Am I correct in assuming that when you come into the room from the street you are looking at the side of the piano? Most unusual! Needs new placement!
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 9:28PM
Natasha Assa
And is that a door to the powder room across from the entry door?
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 9:29PM
Supreme Floor Company
The blind are dated..lots of nice window treatments..
   January 2, 2014 at 9:32PM
Michelle Lin
There's no better place for me to put that piano. Not a easy space to place the furnitures.
   January 2, 2014 at 9:33PM
Natasha Assa
Do you use that fireplace very often? Can you remove that wine rack from under the woman's picture and put the piano there? The look of the piano with that picture would be most romantic. But you need to make sure that the space allows room for the piano.

If that works then you can put the wine rack on that wall where the Christmas tree now is and hang the clock above it (on the side I would say it is too big for that wall and the whole room, and I would replace it with a mirror or something like that but smaller).

The console table currently banished to the left of the loveseat could go behind the loveseat in that L-shaped arrangement that abbyjean described to you earlier. I support her idea of using the couch to strongly delineate a lovely sitting are from the entryway. And that arrangement will do it.
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 9:37PM
Natasha Assa
Do me a favor, measure the wall below the woman's portrait (where the wine rack is) and then measure your piano.
   January 2, 2014 at 9:38PM
studio10001
I'm going to suggest running the seating so that both pieces flank the fireplace. The wine storage would be more practical where the console table currently is; they might trade spaces, or the console might fit at the back of the sofa. You might also consider a screen to block off the view to the rest room. If you are open to new furnishings, a larger/ rectangular coffee table would suit this configuration better, as would replacement seating for the settee, which might look better in a bedroom.
   January 2, 2014 at 9:40PM
Natasha Assa
If you are short of a few inches of space, it might be immaterial, but if you are short of over a foot of space then you might want to call a carpenter to extend that wall by a foot. It is easily done, believe me! We had the same situation in our new house, where the wall for the entertainment unit was 8' and the unit was 9'. We called a carpenter and in two hours we had the right size wall!
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 9:43PM
Natasha Assa
Studio10001 I was going to suggest the same thing, but the problem is the larger couch will then stick out into the entryway and block the traffic flow. Doing it the other way round would block the sliding door. I think abbyjean is right and the homeowner's best shot at comfort and privacy (i.e. closing the leak of energy into the entryway) is the L-shape arrangement.
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 9:46PM
nwduck
It seems like there are a lot of table/leg pieces in the room. What if you lined up your rug square with the fireplace, put the white couch on one side of the rug (making it angled, not flat with the wall), the green piece opposite centered across from the couch. Move the wine bar to the spot on the wall with the clock. Move the dark table with photos over next to the door, and eliminate the short white table currently beside the door.
   January 2, 2014 at 9:49PM
studio10001
It shouldn't block the door at an angle, but as to measurements, you may be right -I try not to assume. It is only another possibility to consider. Ideally I think a pair of chairs would be a nicer substitute for the smaller seat,both stylistically and in terms of arrangement - nicer stlll if shopping the house turned up such a switchout!
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 9:55PM
Natasha Assa
Michelle, if the idea of a piano on the right of the fireplace does not appeal, can I suggest something quite radical? How often do you light the fireplace and how often do you play the piano? Why not consider putting the piano right in front of the fireplace and hide the damned thing with it?? that way the room will really gain personality and you will never have to fight conflicting messages. You can then hang the woman's portrait above the piano on that centered wall - and it is gorgeous! You can either angle the couches or flank them around the piano. The wine rack placed on the wall where the piano now is will suddenly become an asset reminding every one of the good times ahead, instead of being a left over from a good party. The sofa table with the clock will move on the wall behind the Christmas tree, and everything will fall into place. Good luck!
1 Like   January 2, 2014 at 10:12PM
Michelle Lin
Thanks for all the suggestion, I tried to have the white couch facing the fireplace before, but if I do that, the people who sit on the couch can't see the piano. I am a piano teacher, parents would like to see their kid playing the piano when they sit in and watch.
So now I'm trying my best to decorate the room so it would look nicer,
   January 2, 2014 at 10:26PM
Talianko Design Group, LLC
You may want to sketch this out for yourself on graph paper including the largest pieces of furniture. Moving a piano around a room is exhausting. Also, try to place your piano on an inside wall as it will keep it from going out of tune as quickly.
   January 2, 2014 at 10:30PM
okdokegal
Oh that is the best thing to do, a large but to precise scale drawing of the room, everything accurately placed, then make to correct scale shapes of all the furniture, and move THOSE around on your gridded scale drawing of the room. I have done that many times before going to actually move the furniture! Don't be afraid to get rid of a piece or two of furniture or replace the larger piece with something smaller, to get things to fit better.
   January 3, 2014 at 12:58AM
2dogssashatess
the clock is way too big for the spot you currently have it in IMO
   January 3, 2014 at 2:47AM
Don't see anywhere else for the piano, which needs to be on an interior wall for its health. I'd take the wine bar and lady to the dining room, if you have one. Float the sofa parallel to the FP, facing it with the sofa table behind it, coffee table 18" from it. Move the tufted love seat in front of the slider where the sofa is now. Put the padded bench by the FP where the wine bar is now. Remove the ugly clock - Craig's List will love it! Add draperies that just kiss the floor hung right under the bulkhead and at that same level on all the other windows.
   January 3, 2014 at 4:44AM
smartin1
How about a chair or chairs on a swivel? They can be turned to face the piano during lessons, but turned back into the conversation area the rest of the time. I know you said hubby doesn't want to buy anything new, so maybe keep your eye out for something second-hand.
   January 3, 2014 at 4:00PM
Michelle Lin
Better or worse?
5 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 3:26PM
nwduck
That looks quite nice! Putting the colored settee across from the painting made an especially pretty viewpoint. It seems you now notice how all the colors in the art tie in with the colors of the fireplace surround, the settee and the dark accent pieces. And no new furniture needed!
   January 7, 2014 at 3:51PM
Much improved, cozier and I like the touch of aqua/turquoise blue via the throw. Once you find the drapes and something to replace the mirror, you'll have it knocked out. I'm just not happy with what the reflection doubles - a door and vertical blinds. Wish the lady were a tad shorter to fit above the FP. Would you consider having the canvas re-mounted on a new smaller frame so you could remove the few needed inches from the bottom? I don't think it will reduce the impact she could make above the FP. Then you could place a tall lamp and some low accessories on the the wine rack/chest to bring that blue color on through the space. How about a rug with a bit more excitement? Destin Ceramic Table Lamp Regina Andrew Aqua Glass Ripple Table Lamp Loloi Halton Hl-12 5'3" x 7'7" Grey, Aqua Rug
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 4:22PM
syncope
Late to the party but love the way you rearranged the furniture. One question. Is that molding or a shadow from boxed in ductwork going around the top of the room? I can't tell from the pictures.
   January 7, 2014 at 4:39PM
syncope
Oh, nvm. I just found an angle that shows that it's part of the architecture. What a shame. Your lovely lady would have been perfect over the fp. Would moving the chest under her picture and hanging her on her own be something you might consider?
2 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 4:42PM
abbyjean
AMAZING! Totally worth your time and effort with moving all this around! It looks like a new place and soooo cozy! You have to be so happy!
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 7:04PM
anniau
Something radical .. This room seems very awkward with so many doors and a role as entry way, walkway piano teaching room and seating for anxious parents over involved in juniors lessons :). It is trying to do too much and any arrangement is a compromise. Though your rearrangement has improved the room , the combination of doors and angled fireplace is just too hard.

It looks like you have a dining room next door. Why don't you move the dining table in here and make this room an entry hall, piano room and dining.
Then move your comfortable sofas, rug and coffee table into the next room where you could spread out and relax. You could always get a very small table in there for breakfasts and casual meals if really needed
   January 9, 2014 at 5:02AM
gabrielaashley
You have to choose a focul point, which in this case is the fire place. Face the couch twards the fire place and create yourself a nice little seating area. never put a couch in a glas doors. it gives the place a confined and smaller feeling. You have to also break up th lon walk way, where you furniture is lined up as soldiers in formation. Key point is to create lots of nice areas, independant of each other, but it all has to tie in which each other. Also ad window treatments. If curtains make sure that they are only on color or stripes that go twards the ceiling, to give the room a larger effect. Take you colors from pillows that you have, or pictures and tie them in. Good luck
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 8:35AM
my granite doesn't match at seam, what can I do?
I need to know how to talk to contractor about unacceptable...
What doesn't look right, and how do I fix it?
We recently painted the walls, installed a fan, and...
I want a back yard BBQ pit that doesn't smoke out all of my neighbors.
I saw an image of one in today's Houzz email. Propane?...
i need help with the kitchen backsplash & coordinating fireplace tile.
I need to replace the kitchen backsplash and nearby...
Granite too busy for this room?????
Kitchen dining room combo with mexican Saltillo tile...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
decorating style?
I need help figuring out my decorating style and what...
Need help with the color of our sectional
Hi Fellow Houzzers!!! We decided that a sectional...