Kitchen Design - where to begin
lenette_vJanuary 3, 2014
I just bought a new house and the kitchen doesn't make sense. I don't have a great vision for this room. I want to keep the cabinets since they are only a few years old, and my budget isnt that big. I think there needs to be possible walls to knock down and another to add back. Should I start with a designer (what kind of designer?) or an architect? I spoke with an interior designer, but she seemed to talk about how to chose colors and details, but knew nothing about structural integrity of the walls. Where should I begin?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fos5
Where is the plan or picture???
    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 6:19AM
PRO
Mean Design
A contractor should be able to give you an idea about which walls can go. Take measurements of your kitchen (as is) and adjoining rooms; from that you should be able to get designs from a variety of establishments (from home depot kitchen design, to an independent cabinet dealer); they may or may not have a fee, call ahead. Usually you can meet with them to go over the designs, but if you want to take the physical drawings of their designs, they will charge you. You can get an idea about possibilities, at the very least. I like the idea of holding on to the cabinets you have, but it does limit what a designer can do, and if they are not selling cabinets in the end, they may not want to work with you at all. Houzzers could probably give you some tips if you provide photos (preferably from each corner of the room) and a sketch of a plan (including what the adjoining rooms are). Ideally, you would work with both a designer and a contractor.
    Bookmark   Thanked by lenette_v    January 3, 2014 at 6:29AM
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed, consult with a kitchen designer/architect and contractor to get an idea of the cost for the renovation.
    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 8:13AM