Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: 2014 Remodel

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
If money wasn't an issue, which room would you remodel in your home for the new year?

Vote for your choice! Please also post a comment telling us what you want to change about the room you chose (feel free to share your photos too!) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz slippers.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 1/12/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.
Other - Tell us Below!

Comments (425)

• Darci Lewis
    10 years ago
    Landscaping! We just moved to a house with 3 acres. It has so much possibility. I'm spending a lot of time on here getting ideas. :)
  • dogmom5
    10 years ago
    I would love to add an addition to the end of our home extending our bedroom & the office room since both are very small. We have a lot of space to add on to our 1965 year old split. Since our deck needs to be fixed up, I wish I could make it much larger with multi-levels using that rich, warm wood since again we do have plenty of land. Maybe even have a screened in area since the mosquitoes prevent us from being outside after dusk. I'd build a super laundry room where doing the wash might not be such a drudgery. We really need a small shower & bathroom downstairs for our guest bedroom and a finished basement. I'd add a small gazebo with lots of character in the wooded part of our rectangular lot for tea parties with grandkids. Oh to have unlimited money to do all this remodeling & making dreams come true!
  • rcoope2
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I have a Plan B for the near future in order to get myself out of corporate America and back on my small farm. My youngest child just moved out and now this 3 bedroom 70's home that I inherited is too big for just me. So my plan is to turn the back half of the house into a Bed and Breakfast. I can earn a modest income through the BnB while enabling myself to stay home and grow the farm. The back half consists of a converted garage that was never used for anything except Thanksgiving dinners, 2 bedrooms and a bath/laundry room. I'd love to redesign this plain, ranch home and give it some character and usefulness.

I should add that the back room lacks air-conditioning and is on a separate gas wall heater. We just don't use it for living space. I also mentioned my little farm....along with the BnB, if I were able to leave corporate America, I plan on building a small women's retreat here on the farm someday. I feel that I've been blessed with this home and some acreage and would love to be able to bless others with it. Winning the remodeling contest would be a start to something much bigger.
  • Sherryl
    10 years ago
    We have a builder house in a nice gated community, and we could have added more upgrades to our master bedroom and bathroom, but we had other priorities. Now I see there isn't even crown moulding, the light fixture, which I did change, is off center to where the bed has to be, the bath counters are some sort of material that that tries to look like granite. The huge closet that is also houses our laundry (my change and BRILLIANT) could use more built-ins and a gorgeous light fixture!
  • remicat
    10 years ago
    The basement. My husband needs space for his sports collection and his home-based trophy business which is expanding leaps and bounds!
  • ebellingrath
    10 years ago
    The kitchen would be my choice! My husband built an island that is still unfinished years later! The cabinets were ok in the 70's but now they are completely out of style. We need cabinets that have pull outs! Help!
  • David
    10 years ago
    I would love to redo our kitchen. It's our first home but it's small and dated. I like cooking but never have enough storage or elbow room.
  • emma0217
    10 years ago
    I'd gut (and possibly rearrange) the master bath. It's really not to our taste.
  • Ronelle
    10 years ago
    Need a bedroom reno, need a bigger closet. Want to "borrow" space from the other bedroom
  • Lynn
    10 years ago
    Can I say.... I am embarrassed by my bathroom? wish I could just start over. I did the best I could. I don't have the cash to spend. I refinished the cabinets myself and made the window treatments. It was what I could without spending a fortune. If I had the skills to rip out the linoleum, the shower, the sinks, the faucets and the countertops I would be all over it. I am not afraid of hard work. I can sew and paint but the rest is not in my wheelhouse.
  • Laura
    10 years ago
    I am grateful we were able to remodel our kitchen last year....now the only room left unchanged after 15 years is the family room. Time to ditch the kiddie toys and make a cool place to hang out with family and friends.
  • Karyn Carlson
    10 years ago
    We live in northern Minnesota. Our kitchen desperately needs insulation and window upgrades. Of course, once that's done new cabinets, countertops and flooring won't be far behind!
  • deb480
    10 years ago
    I would love my laundry/sewing room properly designed with a small bathroom. I recently moved and miss sewing so much because I have no idea how to organize and store my materials. Please help!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I'm reading through this list... how many posters don't seem to be aware the drawing is for a pair of SLIPPERS????? They beg for help with a whole room or more redo as if that is what the drawing is for? This isn't the only place I've seen this happen; other places to comment and win slippers or a teeshirt have similar. Yes a lot of us could use to have the dream happen, I know if some of those Bath Crashers, Kitchen Reno guys, or yard overhaulers; if I seen someone in the local home center with a film crew, you bet I'd be there kissing their .. toes .. and groveling. In the meantme, this remodeler amateur with a crew of one (me) and almost at the end of her budget now and not anywhere near done; will just continue on.

Some begging within the list about help with design or something, feel free to post to Houzz, there are many talented and diverse people who are willing to weigh in and give advice. Of course, if possible when you post, do pictures and give floorplans, those always help!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yes, I've told them several times about the slippers. People often don't read original posts properly.
  • Katie White
    10 years ago
    We bought our first house in the summer of 2013 after three years searching our favorite city, Portland, Or. The market is so hot we lost several houses before winning this gem. We are both teachers and we have two little girls. Everyone enjoys being in the kitchen at the same time but the galley kitchen built in the 1950s doesn't allow for much room. The master bedroom was remodeled by the previous owners but the rest of the house remains untouched. We love the house for many reasons but the yard is our favorite. Now we'd love to upgrade the kitchen so we can all cook together and have a place indoors we love as much as the outdoors. Our teacher budget doesn't lend well to a remodel.
  • Katie White
    10 years ago
    Saw the post above after posting my original. What on earth are houzz slippers and can we see a photo? Who looks at houzz wanting a slipper upgrade?
  • Caroline Reynolds
    10 years ago
    Our Master Bath! I'd love to have more space in there - and a fireplace!
    10 years ago
    I would love to have my patio space designed for my son's high school graduation party. Right now the patio is cracked, steps leading to our house are causing t he concrete patio to sink because they are made out of stones that my husband built years ago. Furniture is old and rusty. It's ugly! A pretty, new space would be great to help celebrate the graduation with friends and family.
  • Natalie Skadra
    10 years ago
    We just completed a 1000 square foot addition with new kitchen, FR, bath, and office so now we really just need to get the basement in order.
  • Rachel H
    10 years ago
    Master bath. Because this jacuzzi tub is nasty.
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    New house will be completed 2/25/14 we will need a new deck...looking at ideas. :-)
  • —jules—
    10 years ago
    Definitely the kitchen. That load bearing wall has to go before I lose my mind, along with the extra small dishwasher, oversized sink that takes up counter space, and the refrigerator which actually heats the entire kitchen well enough on it's own.
  • tiamay
    10 years ago
    I love my house. It's perfect for us. But after buying and investing for all the rooms, our master bedroom is sadly neglected. I would renovate that if possible.
  • Judy X
    10 years ago
    Not the most expensive renovation but I would do my master bath. With its Formica counter top, mismatched doors on the vanity and worst of all the brown paint on the walls it is screaming to be redone. I would love for it to be more spa like ( well, small spa) with a jetted tub.
  • PRO
    Fresh Coat Painters of Allen McKinney Frisco Plano
    10 years ago
    We need to expand our deck... it is new builder tiny and we need to customize it to make it useful.
  • Nancy Hart
    10 years ago
    My bathroom, it's so small, I want to break the wall out a mud/laundry room so we can come in from the garden rinse veges take muddy shoes off and go potty with out going through the dining room. Yes,
  • Nancy Hart
    10 years ago
    Fingers crossed, I've always wanted a mud room/laundry room and a bigger bathroom.
  • stone51102
    10 years ago
    Every room in the house could use a remodel, however my backyard needs some major help. Drainage issues are a concern and could use a patio upgrade.
  • Selena Loca
    10 years ago
    Right now we are finally doing our backyard with a pool, screen, etc. I would love to redo the landscaping in the front of my house but how much can one do in one year?
  • Barb
    10 years ago
    I'd definitely redo the kitchen. The layout we have is very bad so I need to gut and start over. I have had blue laminate cabinets for 25 years so dark wooden cabinets seem dreamy to me!
  • artatheart
    10 years ago
    Kitchen layout is bad; my husband and I like to cook together but we run into each other all the time or need to switch places. Kitchen needs new look as well!
  • Holly Keeley
    10 years ago
    Kitchen hands down!
  • Holly Keeley
    10 years ago
    I would add windows, a vault ceiling, add a wood floor, open it up get rid of dark granite counters,
  • Trudy Casper
    10 years ago
    My kitchen cabinets are cheap builders grade materials, original to the house built in the mid '80s. Drawers are falling apart, doors falling off cabinets. This room was first on my list to remodel when I bought the house ten (10) years ago and I still haven't got the money to do it!
  • patti79
    10 years ago
    The family room is the center of activity & needs work.
  • Amber Barth-Menendez
    10 years ago
    Kitchen for sure! We haves 30yr old house that has never been renovated! Kitchen definitely needs upgrading!
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to @laurav507 for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this poll, you still have some time to get your comments into our Fireplace poll!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-favorite-fireplace-look-dsvw-vd~796446
  • kbergquist
    10 years ago
    Had to do a quick repair on our master bath shower and had a fiberglas insert installed. Was going to be temporary but now its' been 20 yrs. Getting quite gross!
  • Tiffany Burden
    10 years ago
    Kitchen! We are about to start in February.
  • haayer
    10 years ago
    Would love to know more details on the exterior color/material selections of this house! Are there more photos available as well? Looks very much the look I'm aiming to achieve. Thx!
  • kjokken2014
    10 years ago
    The kitchen! In fact, we're starting the process now :-)
    We hosted Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and two dinner parties, so far, in the New Year with a barely functional kitchen....the oven heats super unevenly & we need to rotate whatever is in it, our dishwasher broke and everything is being washed by hand, the refrigerator has a shelf being held in place with duct tape, two burners on the cooktop can only be lit with a match, and the microwave...well, when you shut the door, the button that you push to open the door goes flying across the room!
    Rather than replacing everything as it broke down, I wanted to wait and do everything all at once...plus, we're adding about four feet! Super excited :-)
    My boys will be sad to see the microwave go....they've gotten pretty good at "target practice"
  • Sumaiya Noor
    10 years ago
    More than just web designers, we are web strategists. Having designed and managed huge number of profit-generating sites for our clients since 2009 which gives us insight into what works and, as importantly, what doesn't work online. Those in the know will tell you that a web design on its own does not attract customers. Rather, a strategy is needed; one that entails the right aesthetic, content, functionality and that takes your goals into full account without compromising integrity.
    Whereas most Asian web design firms focus on website design, Roopokar Creative Studio is also interested in your business. After all, what good is a website if it's not aligned with your business goals? Roopokar Creative.
    Studio takes the time to discover both your online and offline goals, which is where any professional web design process should start. For more http://www.roopokar.com
    Our approach to design is geared towards your target audience and creating a memorable user experience that translates into customers. The creative Toronto web design team at Roopokar works with you to make sure that your website is as unique as your business. Unlike web design templates, we ensure that your design is a one of a kind. You'll be thrilled with the finished product - we guarantee it. But more than amazing web designs, we ensure that your site provides the same consistent look & feel online that it does offline, presenting a unified brand and image to your target audience.
    Our talented team can deliver unique web designs, engaging user interfaces, attractive mobile web design and eye popping print design such as brochures, business cards, advertising campaigns and much much more. We'd love to hear about your next project. For more http://www.roopokar.com
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    I would like to remodel my family room. It's the only room in the house that we haven't redone yet and it needs it. We recently remodeled our kitchen removing walls to create an open concept between the living, dining and kitchen. It was a big job considering we did it all ourselves but so worth it! .
  • Percy D
    9 years ago
    The theater
  • Sandi Woods
    9 years ago
    I would love a new kitchen. The cabinets are oak with brass knobs and the counter top is laminate which is falling apart. I would love to reconfigure the space with the addition of an island in the center of the room.
  • honeyfieldsgraincompany
    9 years ago
    My kitchen and dining room are too small for the rest of the house. My work triangle is two steps between each station. My dining room table will not fit in my dining room, and it only seats 6. I would move the back wall of the kitchen and dining room out about 8 feet if I could and carry the roof line out 16 feet, adding an 8-ft.-deep screened in porch to shield us from the heat of the afternoon sun.
  • cfb1
    9 years ago
    I would love to have a kitchen. When we bought our 850 sq foot home, we were spending all but 8 hours every day at our family pizza shop, and had no need for a kitchen, so the little hallway with a sink, fridge and built-in half-oven were sufficient for our needs. Since we closed the shop, though, we really miss the room to flex our cooking muscles. My dream would be to convert the attached 2 car garage to a proper farmhouse-style kitchen, to acocmodate his love of baking, and my urge to 'put up' the garden produce .
  • copper00
    8 years ago

I love my second favorite hobby of purchasing a home to remodel, moving in for the work, when finished, either sell or rent it out. You can make mistakes or realize you should have done it differently if you have a number of these to do in a lifetime. If it is your "forever" home, mistakes are hard to live with, so you take an extreme amount of time to get it correct.

• PRO
    Creative Tech Park
    2 years ago

Now these days everyone is a web developer or designer so questions comes what makes us different. So, the thing that makes us different is our precision at our promises and knowledge of work and service. We just don't build websites we build brand and help the company make the brand. If you have an idea of business come to us we will help you every possible way and solve your problems. That's why we are the best website design company in Bangladesh.