My tiny wittle NYC Studio...
Vanessa Hagicostas
I just moved into the cutest little studio in downtown NYC... It's about 15.5 x 14 and has a separate (elevated) sleeping loft with storage underneath. Uncommon for NYC! The ceilings are rather high at 10 feet. The windows start at the top of the ceilings and go down to about 3 feet from the floor.

I really need some help decorating and staging the place. I'm so scared the place will end up looking like a college dorm as I'm on a budget, that I'm frozen in my tracks!! The ceilings are lovely and high, and I'd really like to play that up.

What I have:
A platinum gray couch, which is 93"W x 38"D x 29"H (photo attached).
A white Ikea Expedit 2x4 cube shelf, that I'm not attached to, but it was so incredibly difficult moving it in, that I'll have a difficult time parting with it
I also have a 40" TV, which is sitting in the middle of the room for now until I figure out where everything is going to go.
I little chrome/white bar cart.
I have a chenille sitting chair, with wood arms/legs, that my dog likes to snuggle on when I'm not home.

What I need:
I also need to put up curtains or shades (there's an office building that looks right into my windows)
I need a rug.
Lighting... A floor lamp for sure, maybe some table lamps. I'd like to hang some lighting, too.
A coffee Table... Something rustic perhaps?
An oversized mirror
Maybe a tiny little dining table?

Any ideas? Would you lovely Houzz folks please chime in? Pretty please!!!!!

Also, I'll I can upload more pics if you like. Just tell me what angle you'd like to see.
Lights Online
You see that floor lamp in the third picture? That lamp has the right idea--its bowl and light are pointed up (uplighting) so that the light washes over the ceiling. Looking for ceiling fixtures (chandeliers, pendants, etc.) that also have uplighting will wash even more light over even more of the ceiling to make your space look bigger and brighter.

Happy decorating!

Edit: Here's more advice about lighting small spaces. http://www.lightsonline.com/making-small-rooms-bigger
January 3, 2014 at 12:44pm        Thanked by Vanessa Hagicostas
Vanessa Hagicostas
Thanks! I'm perusing your website as we speak!
January 3, 2014 at 1:02pm   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Your space looks wonderful! I'm a little jealous. What is the door under the loft? How high is that wall?
January 3, 2014 at 1:06pm        Thanked by Vanessa Hagicostas
Vanessa Hagicostas
It's a mini sliding door that leads to a big storage area underneath the loft bed. I'd guess it's about 7.5/8 feet.
January 3, 2014 at 1:36pm   
What is that big black block in the plan opposite the downstairs storage? Is it a fireplace?
January 3, 2014 at 2:04pm     
Vanessa Hagicostas
I WISH!!! I think that is just showing that the space in between the two windows comes out a bit. You can sort of see it in the second picture.
January 3, 2014 at 2:08pm   
Ron Ames Photography
Can you paint walls? In a small space, subtle alternating stripes in low-mid values can elevate the height of a room. Artwork always adds personality to a room, as we all know. Check out my photography on Houzz and my storefront at www.ronamesphotographyx.com for ideas.
What's your style?
January 3, 2014 at 2:18pm   
Rafal Wojcik
Hi I am interior decorator .I can help you
January 3, 2014 at 2:31pm   
smileyface2013
Can you mount the tv on a wall?
January 3, 2014 at 2:48pm   
Adorable space.

For space-saving furniture, my first stop is always Ikea. I think the Ingatorp drop leaf table and Vilmar stacking chairs would be perfect for your space. Leave it folded for everyday dining for yourself, open it up when you have guests. You also might look at their folding chairs which you could tuck away in the closet when not in use.

I like this little dotted rug I put down on your floor, but it's too small--only 4 x 6--so you have to get two of them and lay them side by side. It's from Ikea and it's only $20 or so. And the Atomic Lobster Arc Lamp from cb2.com makes a huge statement, even if it does cost a little bit more.

I've put the TV on the only wall on which I think it can go. I set it on the Expedit you already have. The sofa might be a little close for watching a 40 inch TV though, but at least it will be at a good height.

Of course, you're gonna need some art for the rest of that TV wall. Ikea's got that too, unless you want to get fancy. Then check out art.com.
January 3, 2014 at 2:56pm        Thanked by Vanessa Hagicostas
Amanda
For a large mirror, if you are looking for a floor mirror, we have this one and I love it. West Elm actually has a lot of great options. You could also try hitting up an antique/secondhand shop in the city where you may be able to score a unique piece. If you're doing something on the wall, you could look at arranging a few different smaller mirrors to create a cool statement as an alternative if you don't find a large-scale piece you like.

The same actually goes for a rustic coffee table -- you could look for an antique trunk, for instance, or maybe something using reclaimed wood.

For that half wall where your bed loft is open to the rest of the space, you could line that with some beautiful candles, vases, or other vertically oriented decor pieces which would simultaneously show off your style and give you the feeling of extra privacy for your sleeping area.

I recently purchased a chandelier from Lighting New York and had the absolute best customer service experience of my life. They have a location in the Bowery but you can easily shop online/order by phone. I got a great deal and was able to get an item that other stores told me wouldn't be available for a month. Highly recommend.

I'm not a professional decorator so hopefully my suggestions don't suck too much... happy decorating and congrats on your new place!!!
January 3, 2014 at 3:04pm     
A19 Lighting
Congratulations on your new space! Always exciting to move. I noticed you were thinking about hanging lighting. We have plenty of pendants and you can choose from over 80 finishes. It will match your decor and look like it was designed specifically for your studio.

www.a19.com :)
January 3, 2014 at 3:24pm   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Do you need to access the storage area on a daily basis like a closet? Or is it a once in a while space?
January 4, 2014 at 5:47am   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Vanessa................just another possible layout. I was playing around with the Icovia Room Planner I found in a Pinterest article. Kind of fun. This is their website if you are interested. http://raymourflanigan.icovia.com/icovia.aspx I am also attaching a picture from West Elm because I love the coffee table and the floor lamp. groveraxle had some great ideas - putting down 2 rugs is especially clever. You could probably attach them with duct tape on the bottom side. I am also attaching a picture of another lamp from Target if you are looking for something less expensive.
ideas
Bliss Down-Filled Sofa
Threshold™ Arc Floor Lamp - Silver product details page
January 4, 2014 at 6:51am     
Mean Design
I might come back with more, but, first things first... CURTAINS! No peeping Toms please! Window treatments can be expensive. An inexpensive option (especially for extremely tall windows) is to purchase muslin and make them yourself. It comes in white, and a natural color. You can even dye the material if it doesn't work with your scheme. I would have them run down to just a wee bit above the base moulding.
January 4, 2014 at 3:09pm     
Slimgoody Sixpaack
you could show more pictures of every square foot of the apartmen,t please
January 4, 2014 at 3:57pm   
FINNE Architects
We use mirrors with blackened steel frames often. I think such a mirror might work in your space.....see attached photo.

January 4, 2014 at 4:22pm        Thanked by Vanessa Hagicostas
Vanessa Hagicostas
Wow. Thank you so much everyone !! I'll attach more pics ASAP!
January 5, 2014 at 6:59pm   
Vanessa Hagicostas
Good point, mean design ! There's an office building literally outside of my window. I can see all of the worker bees typing away in their cubes.

I have strange window mouldings and don't think I can get curtain rods up there because of the weird shape. Have you ever used/seen suspension rods ? It might be my only bet...
January 5, 2014 at 7:02pm   
Your Space Furniture - Custom Upholstered Sofas
Maybe a tufted ottoman...
January 5, 2014 at 7:50pm      Thanked by Vanessa Hagicostas
If you can't do curtain rods, you can use tension rods, but they have a tendency to lose tension and fall down, especially if your curtains have much weight. Pound a little finishing nail halfway into the corner right underneath the rod and it will stay put. (But don't tell the landlord.)
January 5, 2014 at 8:20pm   
Mean Design
If the windows are too wide for standard-sized, window tension rods, shower curtain rods could be an option. And muslin is light weight, so hopefully they won't fall.
January 6, 2014 at 4:31am   
Vanessa Hagicostas
Have you guys seen the coffee tables at Le Petit Monster? I think they are so cute! http://lpmonster.com/
January 6, 2014 at 8:17am   
Vanessa, those are fabulous. And the ones with storage would be incredibly useful for you. Wow, a place for the remote so it never gets lost!
January 6, 2014 at 8:43am        Thanked by Vanessa Hagicostas
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Very cute!
January 6, 2014 at 9:00am   
Shakúff
I like groveraxle's layout. And storage coffee tables are perfect! As fellow NYCers, we're pretty jealous of your space - especially the sleep loft with storage! :)

Definitely do some fun pendant lights or a chandelier! It will brighten the room and add some color depending on your color scheme. Check out our Houzz for some lighting inspiration!

Definitely get on those curtains though so you don't get peepers! :) :)
January 9, 2014 at 12:37pm   
Need help designing a home office in my tiny NYC studio apartment!
I've been working at tall bar / dining table for too...
Need help with tiny strip kitchen in NYC studio apt
I am renovating a tiny strip kitchen in a tiny NYC...
Tiny NYC STUDIO Help!
I am moving into a gorgeous, renovated, but TINY one...
Need help sectioning off my NYC studio apartment!
I'm wondering how I can best create a separate sleeping...
Need help with storage in my TINY NYC bathroom!
Hi All - I rent a 1-bedroom apartment in NYC that I...
What do put on either side of this painting
This is in our kitchen area, that we actually use as...
Black interior doors
Thinking of painting all my doors black. Currently...
Can this wood wall be kept as is?
We are doing some renos and uncovered this wall which...
Long, narrow living room furniture HELP!
Please excuse the toy mess in picture two! I need to...