Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Have you remodeled a fireplace? Let's see it!

Emily H
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Did you make over a fireplace in your home? We'd love to see where it started, hear what you did and see the end result.

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

Highland Park Custom Home Remodel · More Info

Comments (180)

• Marissa Winship
    10 years ago
    We were on a very tight budget renovating our rental home. A little paint works wonders sometimes!
  • blakecoyle
    10 years ago
    Before and after
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Before and after (as the house is now so warm, I tend to use candles and have leant a mirror against the back of the fireplace when not in use!)
  • YogaJulie
    10 years ago
    What is interesting about the before and afters of many of these is that what is before for some is after for many! :)
  • PRO
    B Designs Interior's
    10 years ago
    This project started out as a low hung, misplaced beam and structural issue. The homeowners wanted a space to entertain that was not so dark and dreary. As you can see by the before's, the builder had installed a dropped ceiling to hide a structural issue. By replacing the existing beam, with a micro-laminate, we were able to eliminate the dropped ceiling and add an additional window and recessed lights. The space had been quite dark, also part of the problem. By adding a new mantle and painting the fireplace white it helped to brighten and open the space. The homeowners also had little storage for books. By adding the bookshelves, also painted white. the space opened up. A creamy Ivory paint (a touch of yellow always makes things brighter) and new furniture arrangement, made the room cheerful and inviting! *As featured in Life@home Magazine.
  • brucefj1s
    10 years ago
    This wood burning fireplace is a zero clearance installation designed and built by Bruce Jones of Longford Mills ON.
  • Grace Refuerzo
    10 years ago
    I refaced my brick fireplace with a mosaic glass and stone tile, mounted a new custom chocolate brown mantle and added glass doors. The hearth is black marble.
  • Pamela Langone
    10 years ago
    Love all the remodels we just put one in, I used over 7000 pennies to cover it
  • pferdfarm
    10 years ago
    LOL Best use of pennies I've heard of!! How awesomely creative.
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    Love the pennies!!! I've seen pictures of that done as flooring too. I bet it was tedious, but looks great!!!
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    This is a room scene photo from one of our tile vendors, Daltile. How sexy is this fireplace!! LOVE it!!!
  • PRO
    de la tierra, inc
    10 years ago
    We fabricated and installed a backlit mitered glass fireplace. The surround material was 3 cm "Chorus" Glass2 with a 3 cm Absolute Black Honed Granite hearth w/beveled edges.
  • PRO
    Murovec Renovations Ltd
    10 years ago
    The homeowner wanted a fireplace that was old world and simple. The former fireplace was red brick and black tile.
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    Just curious what the light source was? I would assume some sort of LED? it's really nice!!!
  • PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    10 years ago
    Travertine stone fireplace with Calcutta stone accents, textured wall covering, wall mounted flat screen with 2-piece custom frame, and beautiful dark cherry custom cabinetry.
  • Abiti Mersha
    10 years ago
    We did our living room and I build the fire place and chandelier
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    10 years ago
    I'll just throw a couple of recent examples out. Here's a traditional unvented gas fireplace being replaced with a modern direct vent fireplace:
  • Sharon Wettlaufer
    10 years ago
    Lovely .Our fireplace is a wood burning unit
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    10 years ago
    Here's another unvented gas fireplace being replaced with a vented one - and adding a little character while we're at it (two before, two after):
  • Sharon Wettlaufer
    10 years ago
    lovely
  • PRO
    LeCroy Interiors
    10 years ago
    New home owner asked us to design and fabricate a custom mantle for her stone fireplace. We "remade" this fire place by simply adding a customized traditional wooden mantle. Our craftsman cut around each stone assuring a perfect fit. See before and after!
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    10 years ago
    Here's another recent one. The original fireplace is "Builder blah" with some odd tile that the owner hated. The rework includes a heat-efficient fireplace and some T&G paneling that makes the fireplace a focal point on that tall wall. The new version is a much better backdrop for the homeowners' art and collections
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    10 years ago
    This is not meant to be a detractor from these great projects, but there are a number shown here where there is combustible material (wood) installed too closely to the fireplace in the "after" photos. Please be very careful to observe all codes and manufacturer's requirements when you are working around fire!
    All of the projects below are someone else's "after" that I saw last month, and all are quite dangerous.
  • Sharon Wettlaufer
    10 years ago
    And for that reason, we had a professional install our wood-burning unit as to specifications. Another reason we chose not to have a mantel
  • PRO
    Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
    10 years ago
    Here in GA, each county has specific codes for where you must have non-flammable materials. Also, you must make sure that the paint used should be heat resistant.
  • Constance Henry
    10 years ago
    Jkins683, was your brick taken off by you or did you have a contractor do the job?? I'm considering the same thing for my outdated brick fireplace. I'm wondering about the demolition part of the job and what it entails. Thanks for any input!
  • Allison Hackett
    10 years ago
    Here is the redo of our brick fireplace.
  • PRO
    Annette Kearney
    10 years ago
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/akearney/annette-kearney
    Matisse majolica tiles....custom designed
  • PRO
    clayworks
    10 years ago
    A client added our halo sconces to emphacize the lines of this sculptural fireplace.
  • PRO
    Realstone Systems
    10 years ago
    It looks like a couple of you used Realstone! We love hearing about your DIY and other projects with our stone. Be sure to share them with us if you have one! marketing@realstone.com
    natural stone fireplace with tv · More Info

Split Stone Fireplace with TV · More Info

Mocha Natural FIreplace with Wood Accent · More Info

Stacked Stone Fireplace with Natural Light · More Info
  • Sue Wendel
    10 years ago
    Had a plain wall with a honey oak mantle, recently replaced it with the cherry piece and slate tile (enhanced). Definitely a statement piece.
  • mom2co
    10 years ago
    ugly 1970s frpl. added bookshelves/built-ins
  • dawnvilla
    10 years ago
    I just finished a minor update to our 80's pink-tile fireplace with floating mantel shelf. This is an interim update until we can afford a real makeover with river rock. I used the wood from our old cedar fence that blew down over the winter. Here are the before/after pix.
  • catz1
    10 years ago
    Am I the only person left who LIKES traditional red brick? Wonder how long it will be before that pendulum swings back and folks are restoring these back to original?
  • dawnvilla
    10 years ago
    catz1, I am with you!
  • PRO
    Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
    10 years ago
    Here's one for you. The red brick was old and we decided to leave it alone and celebrate the imperfections. The new surround was a harsh contrast so we painted it to create a more consistent feeling for the style of the room. Here is the whole story: http://kasswilson.com/best-of-both-worlds-2/
  • PRO
    Classic Fauxs & Finishes
    9 years ago
    Here's a fireplace we did for a homeowner who didn't want a painted finish but something that had a "stone-like" look and feel. We applied a stone plaster and glazes that were tinted to match her decor. She absolutely loves it!
  • nundypratt
    8 years ago

We updated our 70's fireplace that featured 6" terracotta tiles on the hearth and surround. There was no mantle and the entire wall was boring and awkward. We hired a handyman to remove the tile, repair the drywall where necessary and install large slate looking porcelain tiles on the hearth and smaller multicolor slate tiles on the surround. Doubling the height of the surround and adding a rustic mantle transformed the entire room. We now love our fireplace and I love decorating it for each season.

• Jen P
    8 years ago

We just finished our fireplace makeover after Thanksgiving. What was suppose to take 1 week, stretched into 5. But I think it was worth it. Since regular fireplaces are becoming a thing of the past in the Sacramento, CA area because of air quality we decided to convert a fireplace to a gas insert. That required the gas line to be run the length of the house from the back alley meter to the front of the house with a stub out at the kitchen for a future remodel. We demolished the entire brick front and hearth. We replaced it only up to the mantel in order to mount the TV over it. We used ledgestone because we liked the texture it gave to the room. We had built-in cabinets added to each side with metal filigree coverings on the middle bottom cupboards, while leaving the others open with a glass shelf on the upper shelves. The countertops and mantel are made of chemically colored steel. We added surround sound as well. We still have to decide on a wall paint color, which will be done later this spring.

• The Tracy Interior
    8 years ago

We remodeled our 1950s fireplace, which featured a retro-tiled hearth and bricked-up firebox. We opened up the firebox, installed a new mantel, laid Carrara marble in the hearth and tiled the fireplace surround with herringbone marble tiles. Here is the step-by-step process: http://thetracyinterior.com.au/our-fireplace-makeover/

• James Downing
    8 years ago
    Here's our before and after shot of our fireplace remodel. We had an old builder basic fireplace mantle that really brought the room down. We built out the surround, embedded the TV, made room for hiding speakers, put down a granite hearth, laid the veneer stone, and added on a 100 year old hand hewn mantle
  • PRO
    Kim Harvey Design, LLC
    8 years ago

In this expansion project, we were lucky enough to have a fireplace whose only drawback was someone's idea of "camouflage."

A little elbow grease can go a long way!

• blueskiesinNM
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Before and after just finished!

• PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    6 years ago

We remodeled this fireplace for a bachelor in Chicago. Amazing transformation!

• PRO
    Linwood Development Company
    5 years ago

Remodeled fireplace, custom designed split faced travertine rock imported from Antiago, Turkey. The travertine is much more colorful than all other natural travertine rocks that vary in beige colors.

Antiago travertine with white black hues and bright graining adds depth to the surfaces of the surround wall.

The design idea of incoroperating glass with natural rock materials is somewhat different and could not have the end result you could have expected.

The Jeffrey Court Collection of hand made tiles. The 3x6 glass subway tiles have real volcanic cake painted to the surface creating a 3D effect of copper hues adding depth.to the accent around the firebox.of the new zero clearance fireplace.

The walls are 45 degrees at each edge wall creating a difficult and complex custom 45 degree angle cut to each course of rock materials installed on each side of the surround.

The same design and materials were installed on the beehive designed for place in the informal living media room.

The hearth surface was tiled with the same travertine as the walls except the tiles were cut into 12 inch squares and tumbled to give the edges the worn edges look.

This added $20k in value to the residential home. The WoW factor hit out of the ball park response was received from most everyone who viewed the property.

Santiago - Investor Acquisition · More Info

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Great post, even though it's old.

• nmshea
    5 years ago
    @YogaJulie, yes, who is your housekeeper? Someone vacuumed in a totally systematic way. Almost looks like a carpet with an artistic pattern.
  • Betsy Ford
    5 years ago

This was a complete makeover

• glschisler
    3 years ago

We bought this house three years ago with a traditional fireplace that was electric. I wanted it updated. I had the contractor re-install the original mantle. We love it and we get lots of compliments on it

• riverscox25
    3 years ago

Beautiful!