memawmc
January 25, 2012 in Photo Questions
I really want to put my tv over my fireplace but everyone tells me it will be too high is there a guideline to follow concerning the height
Amy
I keep sharing the same thing, the guideline is that it should be at the same height as from where you are watching it...that said, I like the TV over the fireplace
January 25, 2012 at 4:41pm     
mwarren_us
An ideal location places the center of the TV screen level with or just a bit above your eyes. For instance, when sitting on a couch, typical eye height is 40-42 inches thus the center of the TV should be 3-4 feet from the floor. THX advises that the screen be placed so that viewers don't have to look up more than 15°. http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/
March 5, 2012 at 5:47pm     
jcbl
TVs above the fireplace often look good from a room design viewpoint but they are almost always way too high for viewing comfortably. As noted in other comments, center of TV should be only slightly higher than eye height of seated viewer.
April 4, 2012 at 11:15am     
Artisan Carpentry of the Main Line, LLC
That TV absolutely ruins a nicely composed scene of fireplace mantel and bookshelves. The paint on that mantel is amazing.
April 4, 2012 at 8:16pm     
prosperity10
Too high will cause eye strain and maybe even headaches.
April 4, 2012 at 8:23pm   
normie94563
Have you ever sat in the front roll at the movie theater? How high is your fireplace? If you must have the flat screen above the fireplace, get some comfortable bar chairs. My son has his flat screen high up; at home our flat screen in on a existing built in cabinet, 32” high, I’m not comfortable with this height. Good luck.
April 4, 2012 at 8:32pm   
ashmane
Our TV is above the mantel on our fireplace and I watch it every night with no problem. My suggestions are to make sure the mount allows you to adjust the set so that it is tilted slightly down. Make sure your chair is comfortable to sit in and gives you proper neck support when looking up at the television. Finally, place your viewing chair or couch far enough away so that the angle you're tilting your head up at isn't too great and you'll be fine. For example, we have a 42" plasma screen at a height of 6 feet, my head when sitting in the chair is about 3 feet off the ground, and the chair is about 12 feet back from the television. This means that I'm elevating my gaze about 14 degrees off of horizontal which isn't too bad. I also recommend back-lighting the TV which reduces eye strain.
April 4, 2012 at 9:06pm     
jssoja
TV is on bracket that tilts down and we've never had to tilt it down even with younger children. Our couch is regular height. No issues at all!
May 13, 2012 at 11:13am     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
One primary factor is the distance your seating is from the TV. Our rule of thumb is that most folks'll be OK if they are sitting ten feet or more away from the TV, but might be uncomfortable if they are closer.
May 14, 2012 at 8:51am   
monika2024
I don't think the TV ruins the look of anything.. It looks great. I prefer the TV to be above the fireplace as opposed to next to it-which irritates me because it seems to off balance the room. Anyhooo, we don't have an issue looking up, no neck strain, no headaches, maybe if we sat directly under say a foot away, then yes, but who sits that close to a TV anyway.
May 16, 2012 at 12:31pm     
Media Decor
Times and technology have changed. The old formulas of height and distance and viewing angle must be taken with a rather big grain of salt. Todays Plasma TVs have incredible viewing angles. Also, most people slouch when looking at TV, thus the viewing angle is improved.

We have supplied custom units to 1000's of clients. Approximated 75% go above fireplaces. In most cases where the client insisted the TV had to be tilted, the TV was never tilted.

Having the screen center near eye level is fine for a dedicated home theater, but the trend of design and lifestyle has put the TV in the entertainment/family room and most clients are happy with the necessary compromises.
May 16, 2012 at 1:36pm     
Julie Williams Design
Sometimes you don't have a lot of options for TV placement, as the homeowner said above, it does not pose a problem for her and her family. As a general rule I try to place TVs 48" from the floor to the center or lower half of the TV, but size of room does come into play.
June 19, 2012 at 7:29pm   
Plantcrone (Elle)
If I lay down on the sofa and watch TV when babysitting grand daughter (TV over Fireplace) I get a neck ache..so I have to sit in a chair or on the sofa. Personally I like to lay down at the end of the day. At home I've decided to keep my TV on a Bombay chest that gives me room for the cable and my wireless connection too.

Depends on what position you want to assume.
June 19, 2012 at 7:39pm   
pcmom1
I believe in sitting up your room that houses the tv for comfortable viewing: sofa directly facing tv, at much lower ht. than above FP.

If you want a formal LR for gathering (Does anyone really entertain friends here? Mine are always in my kitchen, sitting around the dining table or out on the patio!), try and put tv in another room or divide LR into zones: sitting area and a viewing area.

Don't feel you have to make the FP your main focal point. It can be a pretty area, maybe one with a small game table and chairs directly in front. Then the main seating area can be on maybe the opposite wall. Built the tv into some beautiful cabinetry.
June 19, 2012 at 8:48pm   
HotPrice.co.uk
It is important to ensure that when fitting a Television above a fireplace, the TV is positioned at optimum levels to ensure comfortable viewing. The choice of fire you can have will also dictate whether it is possible to do this. Only gas fires that offer minimal heat output such as the open-fronted version of the Gazco Studio range of gas fires are suitable.

There is now a large range of wall-mounted electric fires available that are popular for installing below a TV. These are mostly used for the flame effect only and when the heater function is used, several models expel the heat from underneath the appliance.
May 4, 2013 at 5:47am   
HotPrice.co.uk
May 4, 2013 at 5:49am   
HB Fireplace
Beautiful
May 12, 2013 at 10:45am   
Carolina Home Theater
Many of our clients have chosen to place a monitor above the fireplace I would suggest a mirror TV to add to the decor When not in use you can reach us at Hamptonhometheater.com
May 21, 2013 at 1:58am   
nobodybutme
My tv is above the fireplace and I hate it. It's way too high. It's 5 feet 5 inches off of the floor to the bottom of the tv. I'm also 5'5 which makes the bottom of the tv level with the top of my head. The sofa isn't far enough away from it to be able to view the tv without leaning back and I can't move the sofa back any further. The tv is installed on a rock fireplace and I'm about to spend 500 dollars to buy a hidden arm that will lower it when I'm watching it. Plus the bottom of the mantel gets hot when the gas fireplace is on. Don't make the same mistake I did!
June 4, 2014 at 5:16pm     
crpnt7tr
I had great concerns about mounting our 48" TV above our fireplace because I read so much online about neck pain from looking up at the TV I understand that how far away your couch if from the fireplace is a consideration but I found a great solution by purchasing a "Down & Out Swivel Mount" from Dynamic Mounting. Now I can not only swivel the TV in any direction I can also "pull down" the TV to a normal viewing position. I love it! AND- there is a Rebate on this product that I am going to get!
July 17, 2014 at 5:45pm     
crpnt7tr
Obviously we are still renovating, but you can see how the Dynamic Mounting "Down & Out Swivel" comes down to the perfect viewing height.
July 19, 2014 at 11:51am     
Christine Bergensten
The huge t.v. over the beautiful large fireplace (first picture on top) completely ruins the look! I would hide the t.v. behind something when not in use - like a custom built cabinet. Maybe some type of narrow (from front to back) wood cabinet with a sliding door so when you want to watch t.v. you just slide the door back. I would paint this cabinet the same color as the fire place and have it made to look like it a natural part of the structure. The idea would be so that when not in use, you can't see that monstrosity!!
on Monday at 6:27am   
UPDATING BATHROOMS
I have recently updated one of two bathrooms. I removed...
Durability of linen bed
I found a bed at ELTE in Toronto which both my wife...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
need wall color suggestions
Im planning to paint my livingrm walls a color called...
Need landscape architect to help us with our landscape in St Croix.
The house sits on a hill. The lot (incl house) is .71...