Need help with small open kitchen design
rokas1989
Hello,
To say the least i am struggling with my new apartment layout and the most headaches is given by the kitchen. This will be our first apartment and would greatly appreciate any help considering kitchens layout.
The base for current layout is Project: Kitchen and Bath Before/After
Everything looks like it should except i would prefer counter top or even lower table.
If anything is out of whack or plain stupid (or even good) please comment.

This is a good layout given the space restrictions. Having the eat bar at counter height would be ideal.
January 4, 2014 at 10:42am      Thanked by rokas1989
rokas1989
Counter height table would serve as main dining table for this small apartment.
January 4, 2014 at 10:47am   
Mean Design
looks pretty good. is there any reason you're not centering the range between the frig and the wall? and you might want to switch the d/w to the left side (most folks are right handed. righties should have d/w on left; plus when it's open, it will not be in the way of anyone wanting to get to the range).
January 4, 2014 at 2:24pm      Thanked by rokas1989
Dullea and Associates Inc.
I ask the same question as Mean Design: Why are you not centering the range? I would also like to know why you have three drawers instead of four. You might want to consider three equal drawers over top of a single large drawer. Doing so should provide additional storage.
January 4, 2014 at 2:42pm      Thanked by rokas1989
rokas1989
Hello,

Kitchen range is not centered between fridge and opposite wall (i will call it right wall) because apartment has gas burner (size 700x450) in the wall cabinet. If range is centered gas burners wall cabinet becomes awkward. Second reason is having larger landing area between fridge and range.

To add i am leaning towards free standing hood and removing dishwasher. For my whole life i have been doing dishes by hand and dw does have its own down sides.

For the drawers i added larger ones at the bottom for pots or other larger items, but over did it, probably will leave only one larger drawer but for the size of others is still pending question.

Added drawing without dishwasher and with centered range with freestanding hood.

Thanks for your help.
January 5, 2014 at 1:41am   
OnePlan
Are you having this custom made ?! As if you are then you have a world of oppertunity to have loads of extra storage snuck in, in clever places !
January 5, 2014 at 2:49am        Thanked by rokas1989
rokas1989
Yes, custom made cabinets, can you recommend those clever places?
Currently the only clever thing is wall between island and cabinets like in the link of first post, but that is all i have.
January 5, 2014 at 3:05am   
OnePlan
This is the sort of project that I would design for a client as a pro job ! There's lots of things you can do - specific shelving to suit what ever you want - ie pan lids- spices - then slide out shelves for mixers/ bread makers etc - pop up shelves too - hidden slide out table that opens into a full size table when more guests want to sit and eat , that's also a breakfast bar - folding chair storage ( for those extra peeps ) hanging storage rack over island ?!
It's too much to try and do on a thread to be honest - needs lots of info from you as to how you cook - your family size - how often you shop - what you need in the kitchen - your height , dominant hand (left or right handed ) etc etc etc it's basically designing to totally suit you !
January 5, 2014 at 3:14am        Thanked by rokas1989
rokas1989
All those things seem to take a lot of space which i do not have. Idea of sliding table has crossed my mind but every idea was dismissed. I am even considering adding table for 4 or 6 instead of island, but that leaves very little cabinet space.
January 5, 2014 at 3:40am   
OnePlan
The ideas change to suit what you have and what you require ! It's quite involved ! I was just giving you some examples - For example you can commission a table that will slide out from under your breakfast bar and open out to a full size table ! There's loads of opportunities when you have something made bespoke ! I'm UK based - so design fees for a job this sort of size would be £450. All done via email / iMessage etc . Drop me an email if you'd like more info ! :-) click on my name to go to my pro page to see some of my drawings !
January 5, 2014 at 3:51am     
Mean Design
Sorry, the reason why I would suggest centering the range, is so you have the same width doors flanking the range. Symmetry usually appeals to the eye.
January 5, 2014 at 7:03am   
LEICHT New York / LEICHT Westchester
Hi there rokas1989!

If you're in the area, come check out one of our showrooms to see the many options for drawers inserts, cabinet pullouts and whatnot to make the most of your kitchen space.

While you're at it, come join us for breakfast and check out our free kitchen session every 2nd Saturday of the month: http://leichtnewyork.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration

Best of luck on your new kitchen reno project. Write us if you have any questions!
January 5, 2014 at 10:53am   
Design help with small open plan living, kitchen and dining room
Hello everyone, I am about to renovate my tiny cottage...
need help with small kitchen - has 3 doorway openings!
We have a small kitchen with a door to the exterior,...
Need help for colors on wall for an open kitchen and small living room
We are remodeling the kitchen before used to be a wall...
Need help for my small family room/ open to my large kitchen.
The space is a modern open kitchen/family room with...
Coffee Table saga continues... Rectangle or Circle??
This is the most recent pic of our newly decorated...
Need help picking out wood floors and cabinets
I am building a new house and am going for a rustic...
Do I use these chairs?
I have a completely empty dining room - I had been...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
How to refinish mid-mod cradenza?
Found this mid-century piece on Craigslist. It's nice,...